Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bai Ma Xiao Xi Feng

Hello everyone! I'm back! My exams ended two days ago so now I have quite a lot of free time.

Anyway, here's a short instalment. Sorry it's pretty short though.

The ground was covered with a deep layer of snow, and it was hard to ride. The seven-man vanguard went on foot, following footprints in the snow all the way. Chen Dahai’s footprints went in a straight line towards the west, as if towards the Gobi Desert. Although both his arms were injured, his legs were still very agile. The six Kazaks suddenly recalled the legendary demons which supposedly inhabited the Gobi Desert, and could not help but have some misgivings.

Su Lu’ke said loudly, “Even if we know that we are going to meet demons today, we must still go and capture the bandits. Su Pu, are you going to seek revenge for your mother and brother or not?” Su Pu replied, “Of course I will go with Father. A’man, you’d better return go home!” A’man said, “If you can go, I can go too.” But her heart said, “If you die, do you expect me to live on alone?” Su Lu’ke said, “A’man, you’d better accompany your father home. Che Erku is extremely timid, and is most afraid of demons!” Che Erku gave him a hard stare, and rushed to the front.

The thing which people feared the most in the Gobi Desert was the lack of water for miles. Once the supplies of fresh water which they brought along were exhausted, they would undoubtedly die of thirst. But after the snowstorm, one could pick up snow at a bend of the body. This alleviated their main worry. Although they were unable to ride, they did not need to bear the hardship of having yellow sand being blown into their faces. They travelled towards the west, and could see that Chen Dahai’s footprints were becoming more evident. Later, his footprints were uncovered by snow, and were obviously left after the snowstorm had died down.

Che Erku muttered, “This evil bandit is quite capable, he survived despite being trapped in a huge snowstorm.” Su Lu’ke suddenly cried out, “Eh, there are another person’s footprints!” Pointing to the footprints, he said, “This person made each step in that bandit’s footprints, if one wasn’t observant enough he wouldn’t have spotted it.” Everyone looked carefully, and saw that every footprint consisted of two layers, one deeper and the other shallower.

Everyone started speculating, unable to comprehend the significance of this observation. Luo Tuo suddenly said, “Don’t tell me it’s a demon?” This was what everyone wanted to say but didn’t. As soon as the words had left his mouth, everyone could not help but shiver.

The party steeled their nerves and continued travelling west. The deep snow hindered them and made their progress slow. That night, they camped in the snow. They swept aside the snow and dug pits in the ground. Wrapped in wool carpets, they lay in the pits, and did not know coldness at all.

in a place where the latitude and longitude intersect

tho it was short......i njoyed it.....i cant wait 4 the nex post.....but take ur time!!!!!
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

I lost track but please update update.....translations please....thanks..
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I see this translation's still goin. That's great. I really found this story sad (hope that doesnt spoil it for neone). My family didn't think much of it but I liked it... It seems like a short but meaningful story to me.

please send some more posts.....pleeeeeeeeeeeez!!

Junior Member WhiteHairedMaiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    Ugh! These people who killed White Horse Li San and his wife are really EVIL people! How could they just pillage a village like that? At first, I was kinda ambivalent about Li San's wife killing her senior martial brother like that, but now I am glad. At least she managed to get rid of one villain, because I am sure he is just as evil as the rest of the group. I can't wait until the little girl grows up and exacts her revenge! And what do mean that she will sacrifice her love? Does this mean that she will withdraw from the man she loves cuz someone else loves the same person?

Oh! There was a serial in the 70s on this novel? Was it good? Who did Cheung Dai Wai play? Who were the other actors/actresses in the serial?

Update soon, junzi!

I think I might have seen that, Melanie. I definitely watched a serial on this novel but I dont know if it's the same version as one you mentioned. It was years ago. I only remembered it after coming upon this translation.

I relate to the girl in the story.

Hey I hope a new chapter of your fan fic is coming out soon.
    Last edited by WhiteHairedMaiden; 06-26-06 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHairedMaiden
    I think I might have seen that, Melanie. I definitely watched a serial on this novel but I dont know if it's the same version as one you mentioned. It was years ago. I only remembered it after coming upon this translation.

I relate to the girl in the story.

Hey I hope a new chapter of your fan fic is coming out soon.
    This isn't a fanfic. It's a novella by Jin Yong.

Okay I'll try and get another instalment out soon. Been busy slacking. :P

Take care everyone!

I just noticed someone has helped me translate the rest of the novel, although I have not read it yet.

However, I will continue my translation soon (after my impending exams!) as I do not want to leave it just hanging here.
    Last edited by junzi; 11-22-06 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    However, I will continue my translation soon (after my impending exams!) as I do not want to leave it just hanging here.
    Good! I look forward to it!

Yushi HUANG / Wuxiapedia
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    This isn't a fanfic. It's a novella by Jin Yong.

Okay I'll try and get another instalment out soon. Been busy slacking. :P

Take care everyone!

Hey Junzi, I was talking to Melanie and meant HER fanfic - The lengedary book of sun-moon swordplay (which is a cool story btw, check it out).

Yes I know it's by Jin Yong and I really identify with the girl in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    I can't wait until the little girl grows up and exacts her revenge! .
    From memory I dont think she does.

Oh and Junzi: I was Beneathestars.

Hey Junzi, I was talking to Melanie and meant HER fanfic - The lengedary book of sun-moon swordplay (which is a cool story btw, check it out).
    I see, I see. Well I did read parts of Melanie's fanfic before! But halfway busyness got the better of me and I didn't continue.

Oh and Junzi: I was Beneathestars.
    Why did you change your nickname?

Anyway, my exams are over!

So, as promised......

Li Wenxiu’s pit was dug by Luo Tuo, who was extremely strong. He respected this heroic Han deeply, and dug a pit for her between his own and Su Pu’s. The seven pits formed a circle, and there was a bonfire in the middle.

The sky overhead was azure; the shiny stars were twinkling. A gust of wind blew, picking up snow on the ground, which danced in the wind. Li Wenxiu watched two pieces of snow soaring and falling, and said to herself, “Looks just like a pair of jade butterflies.” Su Pu immediately responded, “Yes, doesn’t it? A long time ago, there was a little Han girl who told me a story about butterflies. She said that there was a young Han man and a young Han maiden. They were very close, but that maiden’s father refused to let the young man marry his daughter. That young man was brokenhearted, fell ill and died. One day, that maiden passed her lover’s grave and lay on it, weeping uncontrollably.” At this point, both he and Li Wenxiu recalled scenes from eight to nine years ago: a boy and a girl were sitting shoulder to shoulder on a hill, watching over a flock of sheep. The boy was listening intently to the girl’s story. When she came to the part about the maiden lying on her lover’s grave and weeping, the girl’s eyes were filled with tears, and the boy felt saddened as well.

Li Wenxiu knew that that boy was Su Pu, now right in front of her eyes, but Su Pu thought that that girl was already dead.

Su Pu continued, “That maiden lay on the grave, weeping uncontrollably. Suddenly, a huge crack appeared on the grave, and the beautiful maiden leapt inside. Later, this pair of lovers became a pair of butterflies, and they would always flitter together, never to be separated again.” A’man interrupted, “This is a good story. Was the one who told you this story the little girl who gave you the map handkerchief? Has she passed away?” Sadly Su Pu replied, “Yes, she was the one. That old Han man said that she had passed away.” Li Wenxiu asked, “Do you still remember her?” Su Pu answered, “Naturally I still do. How could I forget?” Li Wenxiu queried, “Why didn’t you go and visit her grave?” He replied, “Right! After we’ve killed those bandits, I want that old Han man who sells wine to bring me there.” She asked, “If a huge crack also appeared on her grave, would you leap inside?” Su Pu laughed, “That is just a story and would never happen in real life.” She continued, “If that little girl longed for you, and wished day and night for you to go and keep her company, and thus a huge crack also appeared on her grave. Would you leap inside and keep her company forever?” Su Pu sighed, “No. That little girl was merely a childhood friend of mine. The one who I will accompany forever is A’man.” As he spoke, he stretched his hand out and grasped A’man’s.

Li Wenxiu did not question further. She had not wanted to ask these few questions, for she already knew the answers, but she still could not help but ask. Now that she had heard the answers, she gained nothing but her sadness deepened.

Suddenly, a Tianling bird began to sing softly in the distance. It sang so melodiously yet so sorrowfully.

Su Pu said, “In the past, I used to catch Tianling birds for fun, and would kill them after playing with them. But that little girl loved Tianling birds a lot. She gave me a jade bangle and asked me to release one that I caught. Since then I never caught another one, and I just listen to them singing in the middle of night now. Listen, isn’t it singing beautifully?” Li Wenxiu responded with a ‘hmmm’ and said, “Where’s that jade bangle, do you still carry it with you?” Su Pu answered, “That was a long long time ago. It was smashed and is no more.” Li Wenxiu repeated faintly, “Yes, that was a long long time ago. It was smashed and is no more.” The Tianling bird continued to sing. Tianling birds did not normally sing on freezing winter nights, so one wondered what sad stories it had that it could not help but sing its heart out? And yet Su Lu’ke, Che Erku, Luo Tuo and the others’ snores resonated more loudly than the Tianling bird’s song.

As soon as the next day dawned, the seven of them awoke and ate dry provisions. Then they continued to follow the footprints. The sun shone weakly, and they felt only a slight warmth. But with the presence of sunlight, nobody was afraid of the ghosts.

They followed the footprints all the way into the afternoon. The set of footprints turned into two sets. Ostensibly, the second person had no longer wished to step into the first person’s footprints while walking. Su Lu’ke and the others cheered loudly. For it was obviously a human, not a ghost. Yet who was it? The seven of them were travelling in a direction different from the route Li Wenxiu took to her master’s home. Suddenly she realized, “The bandit is probably not going to rendezvous with his gang, but has followed the map sewn on the handkerchief and gone to search for the Gao Chang Labyrinth alone. She mentioned her conjectures aloud. The others were taken aback momentarily before chorusing in agreement.

But Li Wenxiu thought, “No matter how many rare and priceless treasures there are in the Gao Chang Labyrinth, they will never be able to make my days merrier.”

On the eighth day, the seven of them followed the footsteps into a mountain range. The terrain was rocky and rugged, and it was becoming more and more difficult to advance further. Fortunately the footprints were extremely obvious in the snow. The slopes were perilous and the paths uneven. Actually, there was no path at all, and they were merely following the footprints of people travelling into the mountains before them. They saw that the journey ahead seemed to go on forever, and the two sets of footprints in the snow seemed to descend all the way into hell.
    Last edited by junzi; 12-08-06 at 03:54 AM.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TRANSLATION!

I am waiting for you to finish this story. Once again, thank you for putting so much time in translating this book.

the translation is aleady completed. look for the thread containing the remaining part of this translation.
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!

Sorry to have kept all of you waiting; I'm back!

Sang Si’er said, “There isn’t even half a drop of water in this area of the desert; the Han bandit won’t turn up here.” Su Lu’ke said loudly, “If he has escaped to the labyrinth, we will pursue chase him all the way there. We will catch this evil bandit even if it means pursuing him to the ends of the world.” The Kazaks passed this down from generation to generation: that there was a labyrinth situated in the Great Gobi, and it contained countless treasures. However, because nobody knew the way to the labyrinth, and losing one’s way in the desert was no laughing matter, nobody ever dared to risk their lives searching for it. But now they had the map, the snow in the desert would not disappear for another twenty to thirty days, and they had strong reinforcements backing them, so what could they be afraid of? Su Lu’ke had always claimed to be the best warrior in the pastures. He only hoped that Che Erku would display weakness, beat a hasty retreat and not continue the pursuit. But Che Erku did not display any sign of fear at all.

Li Wenxiu said, “Yes, let’s go take a look together, and see if the Gao Chang Labyrinth really exists. She thought that since her parents had perished for it, if she could find the labyrinth, she could consider it as fulfilling their last wishes.

A’man said, “The elders in our tribe all said that the treasures in Gao Chang Labyrinth would be enough to ensure that the thousands living north and south of Tianshan to lead happy lives forever. But they have been saying that for hundreds of years, but nobody has found it yet.” Su Pu joyfully said, “If we manage to find it, then everyone’ll be able to lead happy lives, wouldn’t that be great?” A’man replied, “Aren’t our current lives happy?” Su Pu scratched his head and laughed, “Very happy, very happy.” He really could not think of anything which would be able to make his current life happier.

Su Lu’ke and Che Erku saw that there was danger closing in on all four sides, and they already had goosebumps all over. But both of them did not cease their squabbling. Su Lu’ke said, “Che Erku, you’re trembling all over, it won’t be amusing if you suffer a nervous breakdown. Why not stay here and wait for me, if we find the treasure, we’ll certainly give you a share.” Che Erku replied, “Now you’re pretending to be a hero, just wait till the evil demons appear! Then we’ll see who’ll be the first to escape, you or your son?” Che Erku retorted, “Exactly, we father and son will still have the energy to escape after seeing the evil demons; we won’t be like you, who will kneel on the ground trembling.” The duo kept arguing, never departing from the topic of evil demons. After walking for a while more, they were completely surrounded by total darkness. Su Pu said, “Eh, let’s rest here for tonight and continue tomorrow!” Before Su Lu’ke could respond, Che Erku laughed, “Very good, you father and son can rest here, so that you won’t have to risk any danger. A’man, follow Father, Luo Tuo, Sang Si’er, we are not afraid of demons, let’s go!” Su Lu’ke spat a mouthful of saliva to the ground loudly and was the first to proceed on. Li Wenxiu saw that they were each trying to antagonize the other, and since neither was willing to back down, she had no choice but to follow them. Meanwhile A’man was so exhausted that she could barely stand. Su Pu and Sang Si’er picked some withered branches and made them into torches. The seven of them followed the footsteps in the forest. Walking in this frightening forest in the dead of the night made all of them extremely jumpy. Occasionally, a nocturnal bird would call, or accumulated snow would fall off a branch, give them huge shocks. The curious thing was that there was actually a path in the forest, and even though it was overgrown with tall grass, traces of this ancient path could still be made out vaguely.
    Last edited by junzi; 05-02-07 at 03:22 AM.

The seven of them had been walking in the forest for quite a while, when A’man suddenly cried out, “Oh no, something’s wrong!” Su Pu hurriedly asked, “What happened?” Pointing to a gleaming silver bangle at the side of the path in front, she said, “Look, this was the bangle I dropped earlier.” The bangle lay some two to three zhang in front of the septet, and none of them could figure out how it had somehow appeared here. A’man said, “I’d dropped my bangle and thought that I could only look for it on our way back; how could it have appeared here?” Che Erku advised, “Examine it carefully to see if it is really yours.” A’man did not dare pick it up, so Su Pu went forward to do so. Without waiting for A’man‘s confirmation, he immediately recognized it, “There’s not a doubt; it’s hers!” As he spoke he handed the bangle to her.

A’man did not dare receive it. In a trembling voice she said, “Throw…… throw it on the ground, I don’t want it anymore.” Su Pu asked, “Don’t tell me it really is evil demons playing tricks?” All seven of them had strange expressions in the firelight.

After quite a while, Li Wenxiu said, “Perhaps it’s something worse than evil demons: we’re walking the path we’ve already walked on. We’ve trod here previously.” In a flash everyone recalled that infamous legend: a traveller in the desert had lost his way. After walking for some time, he suddenly found footsteps. Jubilant, he followed them, not knowing they were but his own. So he merely walked a path that he had previously trodden, going around in circles, walking till he died.

None of them wished to believe what Li Wenxiu had said, but A’man had indeed dropped the bangle quite some time ago. After walking for such a long time, the bangle now appeared in the path in front. There could be no doubt that they had been walking in a circle, taking a path previously trodden. In the darkness of the night, in addition to extreme exhaustion, nobody had distinguished whether the footprints on the path were made by only two people or if there were seven more sets added on. Luo Tuo took a few steps forward. Illuminating the footprints in the snow with his torch, he called out, “There are many footprints here; they’re ours!” His voice was filled with fear. The seven of them could only look at each other. Su Lu’ke and Che Erku quickly ceased bragging about their abilities and ridiculing the other.

Li Wenxiu said, “We were following the footsteps of that bandit and someone else, and if they were going around in circles, that means they will walk back here again. Let us rest here, and see if they come.” At this point, everyone agreed with her words. So they swept away the snow accumulated on the path, spread the rugs out, and sat down. Luo Tuo and Sang Si’er built a bonfire, and the seven of them sat around it. Nobody could sleep, but nobody wanted to talk either. They were waiting for Chen Dahai and the other person to arrive, but were also afraid that they would really appear. If the two of them had been going around in circles, there could be little doubt that the seven of them had done the same.

They waited and waited, and suddenly, footsteps were heard.

Wow Junzi!! Excellent job, keep up the good work!

Thanks for translating
    --=={Grundle}==--