Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: JY vs JRR Tolkein

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Just because the sword is Death doesn't mean it can destroy Elves. It'll send them on a trip to Mandos, then they'll return if they want to. Not many did in the Tolkien world (Glorfindel is the only named example AFAIK), but if they play by wulin rules, they'll never let go of feuds, and they have a very long-term view of the world (Elrond was around 5000 years old by the time of LotR, and he was born at the end of the First Age).
    What he said.

I don't think any sword could destroy the One Ring. Part of the reason it could only be destroyed by the fires of Mount Doom was that was where it was created. Otherwise Frodo could have pitched into any old volcano.

If the sword in question had something to do with creating the Ring, or contained some of Sauron's power, then that sword could damage or destroy the Ring. Otherwise, I think not.

However, if we're pitting Middle Earth's warriors against wulin warriors, I think the folks of Middle Earth would be in trouble, especially the Men, Dwarves and Hobbits. The Elves, not so much. Not just because they can't die, but because they're just incredibly powerful, especially if we're talking Elves during the First Age. Feanor and his brothers would kick any martial artist's butt.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Fingolfin's blows should have been mortal wounds, but as a Valar, Morgoth could not die. Either way, Fingolfin was so strong that Morgoth felt fear at fighting him.

Death in Tolkien's world isn't a very powerful force. In fact, it was a gift to Man (despite the fact Men eventually feared it) that the Elves would never truly have.

However, if we're pitting Middle Earth's warriors against wulin warriors, I think the folks of Middle Earth would be in trouble, especially the Men, Dwarves and Hobbits. The Elves, not so much. Not just because they can't die, but because they're just incredibly powerful, especially if we're talking Elves during the First Age. Feanor and his brothers would kick any martial artist's butt.
    Yeah, but the greater Men would give any martial artist a good run for their money. And arguably they were greater in number than the martial artists that have the power to stand up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Yeah, but the greater Men would give any martial artist a good run for their money. And arguably they were greater in number than the martial artists that have the power to stand up to them.
    True. I was only thinking of one-on-one combat. Martial artists would certainly be outnumbered by all the other races, though probably the Hobbits and Dwarves wouldn't want to get involved in a fight unless their homes were threatened.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    If the sword in question had something to do with creating the Ring, or contained some of Sauron's power, then that sword could damage or destroy the Ring. Otherwise, I think not.
    It still wouldn't. The Ring had to be pitched into Mt. Doom, because that's where it came from. Even if the Witch-King were to want to, he could do nothing against it.

The Ring literally was completely invincible except to the flames of Mt. Doom. It's possible that the Valar would have another way of dealing with it, but anything short of them would be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    True. I was only thinking of one-on-one combat. Martial artists would certainly be outnumbered by all the other races, though probably the Hobbits and Dwarves wouldn't want to get involved in a fight unless their homes were threatened.
    Well, what I meant that even 1 on 1, the Numenoreans should be able to stand against all but the absolute best of wuxia. They were far greater than normal Man. Even the Dunedain would've been quite a match.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 08-04-08 at 06:41 PM.

To the ME warriors vs. wuxia warriors question...

I'm quite sure that guys like Maedhros, Glorfindel, Fëanor, Maeglin, Túrin or any other of the great heroes (and villains) esp. of the First Age would be able to kick some *** even in a direct confrontation with wuxia fighters.
    Tolkien didn't spend much time on describing combat or fighting techniques... But some of these people went against Balrogs and dragons and even *deities*. They were strong and they were smart. They just had to be.
    Maedhros against Yang Guo may just as well be a tie, even with YG flying around - which was something that ME heroes couldn't do...;-)
    And Fëanor had to be actually *outnumbered* by balrogs to be defeated if I remember correctly.

I'm not as certain how 2nd and 3rd age heroes would fare should they get into a fight with the best fighters of wulin...
    But 1st age guys were definitely quite formidable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post

And how does this address the point? CC said that Wuxia would get crushed if you toss in stuff about Valar and Balrogs, and you mention... Smaug? Not even Glaurung or Ancalagan, but Smaug...

That's like saying, "I like hot dogs" when the conversation was about quantum physics.

If you didn't know this, I don't know why you are even bothering to debate. And it's not just Middle Earth we're talking about ither.
    I wasnt the one who brought up smaug, it was the other guy who said sweeper monk cant take on smaug.

and I dont see why I cant post here just because I didnt know that, I'm just posting to have some fun, do I need to pass your test before getting your permission?

Quote Originally Posted by the.raven View Post
    I wasnt the one who brought up smaug, it was the other guy who said sweeper monk cant take on smaug.

and I dont see why I cant post here just because I didnt know that, I'm just posting to have some fun, do I need to pass your test before getting your permission?
    Then you quoted the wrong post.

If you want to offer an opinion, it certainly helps to be informed. Why are you making snap judgments without even preliminary knowledge of the subject? JRR Tolkien isn't just about the movies where Legolas skates on a shield.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Then you quoted the wrong post.

If you want to offer an opinion, it certainly helps to be informed. Why are you making snap judgments without even preliminary knowledge of the subject? JRR Tolkien isn't just about the movies where Legolas skates on a shield.
    what are you talking about? in my quote, which only consists of 2 sentences, one of which is this: "Don't see how sweeper monk can defeat Smaug."

my only judgement was sweeper monk can defeat smaug, whether I'm informed about the first age is irrelevant as I made no judgement on that.

Now now guys...let's be nice.

I went to that link that suggested that Tom Bombadil was the Witch-King of Angmar and that pretty much made my day.

Even if Yan 13 has Death as a sword, since death is the gift of Men, it is not fearful
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
    Even if Yan 13 has Death as a sword, since death is the gift of Men, it is not fearful
    Then all men will be gifted by Yan 13 with ease
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Then all men will be gifted by Yan 13 with ease
    Yin 13 - the Santa Claus of Wuxia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yin 13 - the Santa Claus of Wuxia.
    "Here's a death for you, and a death for you, and a death for you!"
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    "Here's a death for you, and a death for you, and a death for you!"
    But what if I've been bad? What do I get instead of death?