Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DGSD Chapter 42. Fight at Shaolin Part 2.

If XF and YTZ exchange lots of palms, and YTZ shows no discomfort but XF feels unspeakable pain, I'm pretty sure XF had less inner power.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
    If XF and YTZ exchange lots of palms, and YTZ shows no discomfort but XF feels unspeakable pain, I'm pretty sure XF had less inner power.
    The pain was directly stated every single time to be due to the poisonous nature of YTZ's palms. It was never even hinted at by JY that XF felt pain due to YTZ's greater energy.

Contrast this to Murong Bo, who had equal energy to XF, but STILL felt pain blocking XF's strike.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    But likewise, there was no indication that XF was ever pushed back or had problems meeting YTZ's palm; it just stated that he felt the pain from the incredible cold, and that he amped up his own internal energy to resist it. It's also arguable the other way around; namely, that since XF was able to match YTZ's poisonous Ying palms blow for blow, his internal energy is at least equal to, if not higher, than YTZ's.

With regards to point two, Dragon Palms or Xing Su crappy palms are outer martial arts cultivations; they should have no effect on internal energy.
    in HSDS, a elder of begger sect used HL18Z against xuan ming divine palm, the begger sect elder and the xuan ming elder were equal in skill and inner power, but because the toxic and cold xuan ming poison invade the begger sect elder's body everytime they exchanged blows, he lost after a few blows because he had to divert some of his chi to resist the cold toxin.

XF may have had inner power equal to YTZ but he could not have kept exchanging blows in that fashion for ever, if YTZ had any real martial arts, XF might have been in some trouble.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

With regards to point two, Dragon Palms or Xing Su crappy palms are outer martial arts cultivations; they should have no effect on internal energy.
    hmm...I think I agree with CC and others....if they had equal inner power(debatable, it seems that YTZ was at least on par) and YTZ's palm technique was inferior, then XF should have won in their palm exchange, but YTZ seemed more than able to take XF's palms head on.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Some in this forum have spent quite a lot of time arguing with various personal theories about whether Liu Mai Shen Jian is 'Sword' or 'Finger' energy.

The next installment should settle the problem.

I think Jin Yong made his intention very clear.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    in HSDS, a elder of begger sect used HL18Z against xuan ming divine palm, the begger sect elder and the xuan ming elder were equal in skill and inner power, but because the toxic and cold xuan ming poison invade the begger sect elder's body everytime they exchanged blows, he lost after a few blows because he had to divert some of his chi to resist the cold toxin.

XF may have had inner power equal to YTZ but he could not have kept exchanging blows in that fashion for ever, if YTZ had any real martial arts, XF might have been in some trouble.
    But Xiao Feng was able to exchange palms with him AND Murong Fu by upping his palm power, and it was said that he would be able to maintain this for an hour. If we judge from this, then it would actually mean XF's internal energy is higher than YTZ's, as in a previous case where two with equal internal energy was fighting, the one who had toxic cold palms won in only a few blows.

CC: Eagerly waiting.

Before it's posted, I'll just state that I think 6MSG is sword chi and sword technique, both of which are brilliant.

Let's see what the next translated section reveals...

based on the name of 6MSJ, it sounds to me more of a technique for finger chi that can works like a sword filled with chi.

if based on adaptation, it is simply a laser gun shoot out from the finger!

But Xiao Feng was able to exchange palms with him AND Murong Fu by upping his palm power, and it was said that he would be able to maintain this for an hour. If we judge from this, then it would actually mean XF's internal energy is higher than YTZ's, as in a previous case where two with equal internal energy was fighting, the one who had toxic cold palms won in only a few blows.
    True, but it is also stated that YTZ was taking all the heavy palms while MRF was just making a show of exerting his energy.

Pumped for next part CC!!!
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

CC: Eagerly waiting.
    but in the previous case, the two experts were equal in skill, YTZ had very poor skills other then his incredible inner power. he can only unlease his power at XF head on in a dumb manner, he doesn't know how to take advantage of his cold toxin to win in a fight. XF did not continue to match power but changed tactics, this shows he saw the danger in continuing in a palm match. it was already said that YTZ had reached a very high level of inner power where every blow from carried rock shattering power. this seems equal to XF's efforts. XF had reached a high enough level that he can combat inner power against YTZ for an hour or so, but it might lead to a OYF/HQG death by exhaustion event. XF was going all out to match YTZ's inner power.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    but in the previous case, the two experts were equal in skill, YTZ had very poor skills other then his incredible inner power. he can only unlease his power at XF head on in a dumb manner, he doesn't know how to take advantage of his cold toxin to win in a fight. XF did not continue to match power but changed tactics, this shows he saw the danger in continuing in a palm match. it was already said that YTZ had reached a very high level of inner power where every blow from carried rock shattering power. this seems equal to XF's efforts. XF had reached a high enough level that he can combat inner power against YTZ for an hour or so, but it might lead to a OYF/HQG death by exhaustion event. XF was going all out to match YTZ's inner power.
    True, he had very poor skills. That's why, 1v1, XF kicked his *** almost immediately. But having poor external skills shouldn't affect one's internal strength in exchanging palm blows, since palm blow exchanges, by nature, are simple, direct, brute force strikes. I punch, you punch, let's see who is stronger. In this case, we never get to find out, as YTZ's cold ying palms are what is described as causing XF pain, not his internal energy, which is never mentioned with respect to how strong/painful it was to/compared to XF.

Default [B]六脉神剑[/B]

After escaping from the danger of the flying Judge Pen, Duan Yu's heart calmed down and with a raised thumb, wielded the Shao Shang Jian. This sword stroke covered a great area and contained vast energy. Each stroke which struck out contained rock breaking and sky shaking power, dense and encompassing like the wind and rain. Murong Fu was finding it extremely difficult to block even with both the pen and hook in hand. After heeding Xiao Feng's advice and concentrating only on one stroke of the Shao Shang Jian, his defence showed no more loopholes. If all the Swords contained in the Six Meridian Divine Swords were wielded flexibly, their power would greatly exceed the lone use of any one single Sword, however, Duan Yu did not know the proper techniques and was more suited to wielding a single Sword in isolation. After 10 Swords was displayed, Murong Fu was flush with perspiration and could only retreat backwards. He retreated till his back faced a large tree and had to use it as a defence. At this moment, Duan Yu had completed one more stroke of the Shao Shang Jian and with his thumb bent, suddenly raised his forefinger and changed to the Shang Yang Sword Stance.

The Shang Yang Sword did not have the expanse and coverage of the Shao Shang Sword but in terms of speed, it was incomparably faster. With continuous finger movements, he shot out Sword after Sword with matchless speed. When using a sword, one is dependant on the agility of one's hand and wrist but no matter how fast one's sword strokes, there will always be a gap of a few feet in between one thrust and another. Duan Yu was using his forefinger to issue out invisible sword energy and only had to move his finger within the space of a few inches for each strike, how convenient and easy was that in comparison? In addition, Murong Fu had been forced to retreat to outside the distance of 1 zhang, allowing him no opportunity to retaliate. If Duan Yu were to exchange normal blows with him, it would not be a difficult matter for Murong Fu to deliver a lethal blow by the second stroke, however Duan Yu was only attacking now, with no need to care about defence, giving him the opportunity to freely display the Shang Yang Sword which he had learnt from the Heavenly Dragon Temple, thus putting him at a huge advantage.

Wang Yuyan saw that her cousin was in mortal danger and was filled with great anxiety and worry. Although she was familiar with all the techniques of the various Sects under Heaven, she had no knowledge of the Liu Mai Shen Jian's techniques and was thus unable to offer even the slightest advice and had to suffer in silence.

When Xiao Feng saw the invisible sword energy from Duan Yu getting more and more miraculous, he was filled with both happy reassurance and healthy respect. However, he had a sudden sour feeling in his heart. He thought about Ah Zhu and wondered to himself "On that day when Ah Zhu offered her life in order to save her father, was she afraid that if I killed him, the Duan Clan of Dali would seek me out for revenge and was worried that I would be unable to resist their Six Meridian Divine Swords? Third Brother's Sword Technique is indeed magical. If I was in Murong Fu's position, it would indeed be difficult for me to resist. I...I..how can a Khitan Warrior like me deserve such an act of noble sacrifice from her?"

Count the times Jin Yong goes on about 'Sword Chi', 'Sword technique' and the comparison with a real sword wielder. I think its pretty clear what he wants Liu Mai Shen Jian to be.
    Last edited by CC; 09-12-07 at 11:16 AM.

Indeed it that seems to be the case.

I'll have to note that some of JY's assertions about a finger sword are wrong though. The easiest one to show is this:

Draw a circle on your desk as quickly as possible. Pretty quick eh?

Now try doing it again without any wrist or arm movement at all.

Pretty much confirmed both- and also lotsa positive rep for 6MSJ if even XF thinks that he can't take it on.

To chrono, it is faster if there's no wrist movement, and even faster if there's no circular finger movement- for what is the smallest circle, if not a point?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Try stabbing forward without movng your arm/wrist. Plus if you're not doing the same sized circle, you're doing less.

For everything else the freedom of movement of a finger is small on most axes and really not that quick.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 09-12-07 at 04:10 PM.

eh update if you can please

No pressure, but lots of love!

No pressure, but lots of love!
    OK ok, no need to get all mawky. I plan to translate until Sweeper shows up (eventually). Short term target is to get to the part where Murong Bo shows his awesomeness.

Continued.

The assembled heroes could see that Murong Fu was being hard pressed into an extremely dangerous situation by Duan Yu and several of them were thinking about rushing forward to assist when they suddenly heard a multitude of female voices shouting from the south-western corner of the mountain.

"Xing Su Old Freak! How dare you raise your hand against our Master of the Eagle Palace of Misty Peak*. Kneel down immediately and bow in submission!"

(*note : I find it very hard to translate Ling Jiu Gong and Piao Miao Feng into English. Ling Jiu translates into Alert/Smart/Quick Eagle/Condor but calling it Smart Eagle Palace sounds dumb. And Misty does not capture the mystical feel of Piao Miao)

The crowd turned their heads and saw that the mountainside was filled with several hundred females split into eight different troops. Each troop was wearing robes of different colours. Red, Yellow, Green and Purple, the vibrant and fresh colours were extrememly eye-catching.

Standing next to the eight troops of females were also several hundred Jiang Hu fighters dressed very differently from normal people as well. These fighters were also yelling out "Master! Let him taste a few Life-Death Talismans. The Life-Death Talismans would be most ideal for dealing with this Old Freak!"

Xu Zhu's kung fu and internal cultivation was all superior to Ding Chun Qiu and should have defeated him easily. It was just that his real fighting experience was really too shallow and was unable to even display sixty or seventy percent of his strength. Secondly, his nature was benevolent and many lethal strokes were actually aborted halfway before they could take Ding's life. In addition, Ding was well equipped with many terrible poisons and Xu Zhu did not dare casually come into contact with his body. Little did Xu Zhu know that the profound inner energy in him was already powerful enough that even the terrible poisons on Ding Chun Qiu would be unable to harm him in any way. It was thus that even after a long fight, no end was in sight.

When Xu Zhu heard the chorus of male and female voices clamouring loudy at the side, he turned and was pleasantly surprised that Eight of the Nine Heavens Nine Pathways troops of Ling Jiu Palace had arrived. Only the Mystical Sky troop had stayed behind to guard Ling Jiu Palace. The crowd of males were indeed the Cave Leaders of the 36 Caves and Island Masters of the 72 Islands along with their followers. Even though not all the Cave Leaders and Island Masters had arrived, at least eighty or ninety percent of them were present.

Xu Zhu called out "Granny Yu, how come you are all here?" Granny Yu replied "Reporting to Master, your subordinates received word from the 4 Flowers and knew that the Shaolin bandits were making things difficult for Master. Thus we summoned all the Cave and Island Sections and rushed here quickly. Thanks to Heaven that Master is unharmed. Subordinate is indeed relieved!"

Xu Zhu replied "Shaolin is my Master's Sect, do not be rude in your language and quickly apologise to the Shaolin Abbot." As he spoke the words aloud from his mouth, The Tian Shan Zhe Mei Shou and Tian Shan Liu Yang Zhang were still flowing with brilliant technique from his hands.

Granny Yu’s face changed colour in fear and bowed her body in reply “Yes. Old crone knows her mistake”. Walking up to Abbot Xuan Ci, she knelt down on both knees and touched her forehead to the ground four times. “The subordinate from the Vast Heaven Troop of the Master of Ling Jiu Palace – Granny Yu has spoken rudely and offended the high monks of Shaolin. I bow in apology and seek the Abbots punishment.” Her words were spoken heartily and each word was heard clearly. Her deep inner strength was clear and marked her amongst the realms of First Class Elite exponents.

Xuan Ci waved his sleeve and said “I don’t deserve such honour! Madam please rise.” This wave of his sleeve contained half his inner force and he had wanted to use it to pull Granny Yu upwards. How did he expect that Granny Yu’s body only trembled by the slightest amount and did not budge one bit. Granny Yu tapped her forehead on the ground one more time and said “This Old Crone had insulted my Master’s Sect and deserves death”. Only then did she slowly rise up and walk back to the assembled females.

The Abbot Xuan Ci and the Elder monks had already heard from Xu Zhu about becoming the head of Ling Jiu Palace but the younger monks and the assembled crowd were stunned. “This old woman’s internal cultivation is most profound and the assembled crowd of females and male fighters do not look weak either. How can they all be the subordinates of this junior Shaolin Monk? This is most strange!”

Many of them saw that Xu Zhu was assisting Xiao Feng and with such a large troop of fighters behind him, they thought that killing Xiao Feng would not be an easy task after all and started to worry.

The Xing Su followers saw that many of the females from Ling Jiu Palace were beautiful maidens and thus their language naturally started being unclean. The Cave and Island Sects were also rough and crude people and when they started scolding back, the rude shouts and crude insults became filled the mountain. The Cave and Island members brandished their weapons in challenge but without the orders of their Master, none of the Xing Su members dared to start a fight and instead doubled their verbal insults. Some of them could see that their Master was losing the fight and started looking left and right in desperation for an escape route off the mountain.

*Sorry, no Liu Mai Shen Jian or Xiang Long Zhang displays this time round*
    Last edited by CC; 09-29-07 at 06:12 AM.

"How can they all be the subordinates of this junior Shaolin Monk? This is most strange!”

-I agree, this is most strange! I'm guessing this part isn't translated yet so I'll have to keep wondering though