Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: DGSD Chapter 42. Fight at Shaolin Part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    would it not be cool if sweeper monk turned out to be some old hero from another translation,who in his later years is just a caretaker at sholin.
    Unfortunately, DGSD is set in JY's earliest timeline. So the only possibility is if the Ape from Sword of Yue Maiden turned into a human and became a monk.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I postulate Sweeper Monk to be the person who mastered 23 of the 72 Supreme Arts of Shaolin, invented 6MSJ, and then became invincible under the assumed identity of Murong Longcheng.

They were the same person, who is none other than the living sweeper monk at Shaolin. He left the monastery after having mastered the greatest volume of supreme arts in history, but returned after he reached the level of infinity in martial arts, realizing the only way to free oneself from worldly suffering is to live in seclusion-- in peace.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Default Sword qi & Du Gu Quibai's "9 swords"

I haven't seen any discussions of Sword Qi in relation to the "9 Swords" Linghu Chong learned in "Laughing In The Wind".

I gather that Dugu Quibai used "9 Swords" in his early years before his internal strenth became profound... when he started to develop "Sword Qi" to use in conjunction with the Heavy Sword. His "Sword Qi" was developed to the point where he only needed to use the wooden sword... then no sword.

I was always puzzled as to why Yang Guo missed the heavy sword in his fight with the Golden Wheel monk on the wooden platform during his rescue of Guo Xiang.

Would the enlightened Jin Yong readers please clear up this point for me.

I appologize if my post is inappropriate for DGSD thread. The "Sword Qi"/'6 Sword of Siu Mai" just brought up to the surface my lingering thoughts on advanced sword techniques in Jin Yong Jianghu universe.

9 swords is supposed to be the art of pure technique only exploiting the inherent weakness in the adversaries using no internal power, so it wouldn't cover sword qi.

Whereas as I understand it, heavy iron sword is the ultimate expression of the other end of the spectrum, pure power and simplicity to overwhelm complicated techniques.

I think these are his different expressions of the sword arts.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

DG9J may not have originated directly from DGKB. DGKB used three kinds of sword composing different principles of swordplay. the first sword was sharp, it implied the fast principle of swordplay, the second sword was flexible, it implied the flexible principle of swordplay, the thired sword was heavy, it implied the inner power ideal of swordplay, after that he could use any thing as his sword, the wood sword level implied formlessness, leaves and flowers, sticks and stones, etc. when YG had mastered heavy sword, he was at the same level as DGKB at age prior to forty. afterwards, YG focused on formless sword play. his swordart improved greatly so he could overcome the heavy sword with a wood sword or stick. he also created a set of palm skills from his perviously learnt skills. YG might not have reached the actual level of skill as DGKB after DGKB abandoned weapons for a formless style but he was as good with a weapon as he was without.
    jin yong stated that LHC had higher sword skills then YG but YG had far more powerful inner power and was an all rounder in martial arts unlike LHC.
    DGKB was likely equal of higher to YG innner power and higher then of equal to LHC in swordskills as he could use anything in nature as his sword while LHC was still limited to a sword. DG9J may be the style YG and XLN passed down from their practice of swordplay years after the end of ROCH. it may be the essence of the top skills that appeared in the first two parts of the condor trilogy.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

How did YG creep into a translation thread of DGSD?

Sorry Xiao Feng,

It's my bad.

I mentioned Yang Guo when I was trying to elicit responses to my curiosity about earlier discussions of how "6 Swords Of Siu Mai" is related to "Sword Qi" and "9 Swords".

Since a lot of Jin Yong's novels are in the same Wuxia universe... the martial arts are related to each other.

"6 Swords Of Siu Mai" and "Sword Qi" are two of the "sword" skills that rely heavily on internal strength. Yang Guo just happens to be the most well known character using "Sword Qi"... with his use of the "Heavy Sword".

Like "Banh Mi" said, "I think these are his different expressions of the sword arts."

... so we're just touching on "different expressions of the sword arts".
    Last edited by Ahoxan; 10-12-09 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention "9 Swords"

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng View Post
    How did YG creep into a translation thread of DGSD?
    Since CC is not updating this, Yang Guo thought of coming to hijack the thread awhile, not realizing that Xiao Feng was guarding it. The anticipated YG vs XF on the cards!

By the way, Ahoxan, you may want to post your questions at Wuxia Fiction instead.
    Last edited by shortsight; 10-13-09 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Since CC is not updating this, Yang Guo thought of coming to hijack the thread awhile, not realizing that Xiao Feng was guarding it. The anticipated YG vs XF on the cards!

By the way, Ahoxan, you may want to post your questions at Wuxia Fiction instead.
    Good one!

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

when ahoxan made his question, i answered forgetting what thread this is.

really questions should be about DGSD.
    like what sort of skills has JMZ learned?. that sort of stuff. i wonder about that because he seemed so knowldgable about so many sects skills.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Many apologies... to everyone.

I took Shortsight's suggestion and brought the topic/question over to Wuxia Fiction.

Actually I should be sorry.

Wasn't trying to be a hard ***. Was actually trying to be funny.

Apparently, my fail is quite catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng View Post
    Actually I should be sorry.

Wasn't trying to be a hard ***. Was actually trying to be funny.

Apparently, my fail is quite catastrophic.
    He hehe heee i enjoyed reading these posts. You guys all so well manerd :P
    Ali Derhamy

Brief bump.

Was re-reading this chapter and hoping that some kind soul will pick it up as their project.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Alright, I have read many translations and thought I try to contribute a little. I will translate as much as I can before the fight at Shaolin is over. It will be slow and hopefully I can update a few times a week.

I'm translating from a Viet source so any names I see will be kept in Viet until someone give me the Chinese equivalent. I will try to go back and match with the names thus far. Anyhoo... here's the 1st part. Now I know how much work is put into this. I appreciate the other translators even more.
    ----------

Xu Zhu was worry about Ju Jian, he was anxious and did not know how to save the young maid when suddenly he heard [Tiet Mo Hoa] yelled, “Martial Uncle, this poison is very deadly. Quickly subdue the old fart to force him to hand over the antidote.”

Xu Zhu replied, “Right!”

His right hand rose up and attacked Ding Qun Qiu. His left hand secretly gather chi, using the [Bac Minh] inner energy, he turn the wine in his palm into 7 or 8 icicles while his right hand threw out successive 3 palms.

Ding Qun Qiu suddenly felt a cold breeze. He was shocked and thought, “This little kid inner energy is Yang base, how did it change like this?” He quickly concentrated to defend when suddenly, the [Khuyet Bon] accupoint on his shoulder felt cold like it just touched a snow flake. Then his [Thien Khu] accupoint under his stomach, [Phuc Tho] accupoint under the knee, [Thien Tuyen] accupoint on his shoulder all felt numb.

Ding Qun Qiu increased his palm power even more to fight back, but then his [Trien Tru] accupoint behind the neck, [Than Dao] accupoint behind the back, and [Chi That] accupoint on his waist all felt cold. He was perplexed and thought, “Even if his palms really did have Yin energy, it cannot circle around to the back, furthermore, all those areas are accupoints. What kind of mysterious techniques does this little kid have? I better be careful.”

He whipped his 2 shirt sleeves forward to conceal his legs and aiming directly at Xu Zhu, he gave a kick. But unexpectedly, his right leg haven’t gone halfway when his [Phuc Tho] and [Duong Giao] accupoints felt itchy beyond belief. He couldn’t stand it and let out an “Ouch” cry. The tip of right leg clearly touched Xu Zhu’s robe but because the 2 accupoints were too itchy, it had to fall down. He cried “ouch” again and then cried “ouch ouch” two more times.

His disciplines then quickly yelled, “[Tinh Tu Lao Tien] is all knowing, just sweeping his two arms lightly like that and the little bastard was hit and fell down.”

“Old Master one kick can shake the heaven and split the earth, his hand can block the sun and moon.”

“{more flowery praise that I will not bother to translate at this time.. and I’m not sure if I translate the above correctly either. Oh well.}”

Their praises were mixed together with sounds of “ouch” and “aiya”. It really did not match together. Some disciplines where shocked and stop yelling but the majority still shouted and scream.

Ding Qun Qiu in a short period felt the 7 accupoints [Khuyet Bon], [Thien Khu], [Phuc Tho], [Thien Tuyen], [Thien Tru], [Than Dao], and [Chi That] were all itchy, no difference from hundreds upon thousands of ant bites. The wine that was turned into icicles contain Xu Zhu’s inner energy, upon contact with the skin, it melted away but the inner energy still transfer to the accupoints. Ding Qun Qiu hands and feets were weak, he quickly reached into his bag and grab 7 or 8 different type of antidotes and swallow it. He also used 50 or 60 percent of his inner energy to resist but he just felt itchier and itchier. If it was anyone else, they probably would be rolling around by now but Ding Qun Qiu’s kung fu was strong and he could still withstand the agony. His footsteps were chaotic as though he was drunk, his face was sometimes red and sometimes white, and his hands waving around madly.
    Last edited by CrazyT; 03-03-10 at 07:17 PM.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.