Thread: LSF: Dook Goo 1 Hok - friend or foe?

Default LSF: Dook Goo 1 Hok - friend or foe?

Thanks to Fok Teen Ching's interference and Sai Mun Chui Sheut's "kill first, ask questions later" policy, Ngor Mei Sect's Leader Dook Goo 1 Hok (Ping Duk Hok) was killed before he ever had a chance to explain himself in LUK SIU FUNG, Vol 1: THE GOLDEN ROC KINGDOM'S TREASURE. Although there was definitely something sinister about him, especially considering that he'd made off with the portion of the Golden Roc Kingdom's treasure that had been entrusted to him so long ago, he didn't seem to be an *evil* person. Indeed, most of his students (Ngor Mei Sect's 3 Heroes and 4 Beauties) were good, heroic people (Yip Sau Chu, who was seduced by Fok Teen Ching, was the only exception). Why did Dook Goo 1 Hok go to the Pearl and Jewel Pavilion after Yim Teet San's (Yim Lap Boon) death? Was he there to steal Yim's portion of the treasure for himself, or after learning that Yim was dead, was determined to help Fok Yau protect what was left of the treasure? I've never been sure if this character was supposed to have been a villain or a victim.
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 12-06-03 at 07:14 PM.

He's actually a good guy. He wanted to fight the Green Robe Tower, but instead fell in Huo Xiu's trap.

The Great Roc King, Dugu Yihe and the other guy were all quite happy with the situation, there was no problem really... But Huo Xiu wanted to have all the money, he's the one who started to stir things up.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Originally posted by Laviathan
    He's actually a good guy. He wanted to fight the Green Robe Tower, but instead fell in Huo Xiu's trap.

The Great Roc King, Dugu Yihe and the other guy were all quite happy with the situation, there was no problem really... But Huo Xiu wanted to have all the money, he's the one who started to stir things up.
    Ouch! Sai Mun Chui Sheut must have really regretted killing him. Sai Mun Chui Sheut might have been merciless, but he didn't kill innocent people. Naturally, it created a conflict between himself and the Ngor Mei Sect (as we saw in THE DUEL).

Wow, man! I really like your signature.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I think the Great Roc King wasn't as content as you say with the situation. He wanted the three former advisors disciplined or at least, beg forgiveness at his father's grave. I also think he could've used the money, since his household was so poor, they had to give fake wine to guests.

As an aside, I wonder what happened to Yip Sau Chu, the Ngor Mei traitor... did the other Ngor Mei disciples hunt her down?

I myself think DG1H was a good guy, who happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time.
    "And the Bastard grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding." -- Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Originally posted by kraal
    I think the Great Roc King wasn't as content as you say with the situation. He wanted the three former advisors disciplined or at least, beg forgiveness at his father's grave. I also think he could've used the money, since his household was so poor, they had to give fake wine to guests.
    Have u finished the whole book 1? If you have, u should know this isn't the case. The Great Roc King has no problem with the situation.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-08-03 at 05:55 AM.

Default Off topic question

Who in the world translated Ximen Chuixue's name to Simon the Snow Blower? I think it's a terrible English translation of his name. Sounds very weird.....heh...
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Originally posted by kidd
    Have u finished the whole book 1? If you have, u should know this isn't the case. The Great Roc King has no problem with the situation.
    I have finished Moin's translation of Book 1, yeah. But if he was so happy with the situation, why send for LSF in the beginning? Unless you're saying it doesn't count because it was all a plot by ShuangGuan Fei Yin and Fok Yau.
    "And the Bastard grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding." -- Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I have finished Moin's translation of Book 1, yeah. But if he was so happy with the situation, why send for LSF in the beginning? Unless you're saying it doesn't count because it was all a plot by ShuangGuan Fei Yin and Fok Yau.
    It's been a while since I read it, but isn't that Roc King fake anyway? I believe the real King and Princess were dead by the time LXF got involved, and the ones he was dealing with were Fok Yau's pawns.

Please read the book again more carefully.

The Great Roc King and Princess Danfeng were already dead before the story starts. The REAL Great Roc King was content with the situation and did not want to restore his kingdom. The one Lu Xiaofeng met was the fake king, and the story he told was made up by Huo Xiu and Shangguan Feiyan. This was all a plot to trick Lu Xiaofeng in believing that Dugu Yihe had betrayed the royal family.

Were the real Golden Roc King and Princess Dan Fung murdered by Fok Yau, or did they die of other, unrelated causes?

Danfeng was murdered by Shangguan Feiyan.

I can't remember the details about the King's death...

Anybody care to help?

Ouch! Sai Mun Chui Sheut must have really regretted killing him. Sai Mun Chui Sheut might have been merciless, but he didn't kill innocent people.
    Ximen felt really bad after he killed Dugu, not because Dugu was a good guy (Ximen at this point of the story thought that Dugu was the master of Green Robe Tower) but because it was not a fair fight. Unfortunately, at this point of the story Ximen had not mastered the true way of swordsmanship and must fight to kill (he does not have full control of the sword).

Thanks for the answers. Here's an additional question: was Yim Teet San as innocent as Dook Goo 1 Hok, or did Yim have something to hide? He certainly lacked the noble courage that Dook Goo 1 Hok had. Even weakened, Dook Goo 1 Hok was not afraid to take on Sai Mun Chui Sheut. Yim Teet San nearly crapped his pants when Sai Mun Chui Sheut confronted him, and sent his underlings to certain death at SMCS's sword rather than taking the Sword God on personally.

Please read the book again more carefully.

The Great Roc King and Princess Danfeng were already dead before the story starts. The REAL Great Roc King was content with the situation and did not want to restore his kingdom. The one Lu Xiaofeng met was the fake king, and the story he told was made up by Huo Xiu and Shangguan Feiyan. This was all a plot to trick Lu Xiaofeng in believing that Dugu Yihe had betrayed the royal family.

Huh. You know, I've read the translation several times, and I never picked up the fact that the Golden Roc King was fake. I thought he was being manipulated by ShuangGuan Fei Yin, via drugs, possibly.

Well, thanks for correcting me.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    was Yim Teet San as innocent as Dook Goo 1 Hok, or did Yim have something to hide? He certainly lacked the noble courage that Dook Goo 1 Hok had. Even weakened, Dook Goo 1 Hok was not afraid to take on Sai Mun Chui Sheut. Yim Teet San nearly crapped his pants when Sai Mun Chui Sheut confronted him, and sent his underlings to certain death at SMCS's sword rather than taking the Sword God on personally.
    Yan Tieshan used to be a ruthless, unpleasant man but after he came to Shanxi his personality changed. He's not as honourable as Dugu of course, but he was not a bad guy IMO. He tried to explain verything, but Shangguan Feiyan stabbed him from behind... So I think he was innocent.