Thread: Lin XianEr - what her ending just?

Default Lin XianEr - what her ending just?

When I read the book Little Li's Flying Dagger, what happened to the girl - Lin XianEr - kind of upsets me, becasue as much as she deserves to be punished, the punishment she got was unjust. Why? She realized that she was wrong, and she really did want to correct her mistakes. But she was denied a second chance, and hence she ended up in a brothel.

I do not think she truly deserved that. After all, she was young at the time the event happened. When you're young, esp. a very pretty girl like her, there's a 90% chance she's going to play around with men.

It was not fair the fact that she was denied a second chance although the main theme of the novel was forgiveness. What do you guys think?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

She strikes me as a little conceited and she may very likely end up as one of those people who start to get complacent when they are given a second chance. It seems that what happened was that she had her confidence stripped away by ShangGuan JinHong, but had Ah Fei agreed to forgive her, she would regain that confidence and begin thinking she could play around with people again.

And wasn't ending up in a brothel her own choice? (If it wasn't I'd have more sympathy for her) If she had the will and the self-respect in the first place, she wouldn't have sold herself to a brothel, but try to start afresh. In reality she hasn't changed because she's still "playing around with men" but this time in a self-destructive way. Apart from beauty, she has other attributes that she could use to make her way in society again - she is quite perceptive and clever, and she does have enough wugong to protect herself - she didn't need to choose to give up.

I agree. She could have started all over again and needn't end up in a brothel. But it may have to do with her beauty deteriorating after Shang Guan Xiao Xian was born (how the book said she became really really old and ugly after a few years in the low-classed brothel).
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

She must have been high-class prostitute, perhaps only high rank govt officer or very rich man can afford her.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Originally posted by ToOn99
    She must have been high-class prostitute, perhaps only high rank govt officer or very rich man can afford her.
    Can't really remember but I think the novel said she did it for the men, not for money.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

When you think about it, she had enough martial arts skills and wits to start new. But at that time, she was crushed, and needed someone to fall back on. No one was there for her at that time. How would you feel?

I mean, her decision, out of despair, id understandable.
    My love and my agony.

Originally posted by Jaded WenEr
    When you think about it, she had enough martial arts skills and wits to start new. But at that time, she was crushed, and needed someone to fall back on. No one was there for her at that time. How would you feel?

I mean, her decision, out of despair, id understandable.
    She was an evil character, so she needs to be punished. Many people wants to see villians meet the punishment they deserved and all, and it wouldn't be right just to let her live happily forever after. I think the ending was really kind to her already.

-No one was there for her at that time..

What did you expect? She doesn't have ANY friends because she CHOOSES not to have any friends. She could have a happy life with Ah Fei, but she used him instead. I wouldn't feel anything b/c she deserves what she got. She even have a beautiful daughter that is wayy powerful, I think that's a big accomplishment and pride.
    Beauty is not in the face;
    beauty is a light in the heart.

-It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

But we're back to my point about how when she did all those evil things, she was young. We all did stupid things when we were young ...

But at the point when everyone abandoned her, she realised her wrong ways, and she wanted to change, but no one was there to help her.

The novel was about forgiveness, but she received none, it's just not fair for her.

I do believe that she deserves to be ounished, but that was not the most effective punishment.
    My love and my agony.

She wasn't THAT young. How can you even call her young when she's about late 20's or early 30's? She's a little less or equal to the age of Lin Shi Yin (as a mother.) You cannot possibly call that young and stupid.

Another point is that I can get away with stealing, killing, hurting others and I can say: I am stupid and get away with it? THAT is unjust.

She DOES have chances, how many times did Ah Fei forgives her? How can u say that she gets no forgiveness? She doesn't take the chances when she has them.
    Beauty is not in the face;
    beauty is a light in the heart.

-It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.

Yeah..., I think she kinda asked for it. She got her chances, and she wasn't really like a teenager neither.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by Jaded WenEr
    But we're back to my point about how when she did all those evil things, she was young. We all did stupid things when we were young ...

But at the point when everyone abandoned her, she realised her wrong ways, and she wanted to change, but no one was there to help her.

The novel was about forgiveness, but she received none, it's just not fair for her.

I do believe that she deserves to be ounished, but that was not the most effective punishment.
    I wanted to hold off on replying until the translation was done... but I really disagree with this.

You reap what you sow. You can try to justify her sleeping around with her being young and stupid, but she did much more than that. She used men and she killed them. This was not just stupid, this was evil.

A Fei has stood by her over and over again. She has also had MANY chances to change her ways throughout the novel. How can you expect A Fei to continue doing so every time? He is a person too, and he DESERVES better. The fact that he took care of her daughter is a kindness she is lucky to have.

Life is about choices. Even if there was no one there to help her, it does not mean she necessarily had to end up the way she did.

During the course of the novel, she (and others) have been forgiven over and over again. And we see the varying results of how different people chose to use that 2nd chance.

Originally posted by TigerWong
    I wanted to hold off on replying until the translation was done... but I really disagree with this.

You reap what you sow. You can try to justify her sleeping around with her being young and stupid, but she did much more than that. She used men and she killed them. This was not just stupid, this was evil.

A Fei has stood by her over and over again. She has also had MANY chances to change her ways throughout the novel. How can you expect A Fei to continue doing so every time? He is a person too, and he DESERVES better. The fact that he took care of her daughter is a kindness she is lucky to have.

Life is about choices. Even if there was no one there to help her, it does not mean she necessarily had to end up the way she did.

During the course of the novel, she (and others) have been forgiven over and over again. And we see the varying results of how different people chose to use that 2nd chance.
    lol, I guess I'm just playing the devil's advocate ...
    My love and my agony.

I agree with TigerWong. Gosh Lin Xian Er is a tramp! She gets what she deserves. She can only blame herself for what she has done. I can't believe the Ah Fei still took care of her daughter. Her daughter ended up being evil anyway right?? Did she do anything to Ah Fei??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

She does deserve punishment for her sins and betrayal, but spending the rest of her life in a low-classed brothel is too much a punishment. I'd rather Jin Wu Ming kill her than this for no women should be exploited as such no matter what she did.
    Cyril Connolly

Well considering no one sent her to the brothel, the fact that she ended up there is her own doing. It does leave little room for sympathy.

Her daughter was equally ambitious, but she did nothing to Ah Fei..directing her psychopathic ways to Ye Kai instead.

I think uncle Gu Long was overly dramatizing her story. To think about it, she has a proper martial arts (if not one of the highest from learning top secret Shaolin books, etc.. etc) and the money (from her business empire . . . ). At least she can end as a rich but lonely landlady somewhere in China or something ....

Ending up lonely and miserable is one thing but ending up as desperate prostitute is too much....

Still I can never complain much to uncle GL as the story itself is superb...

Originally posted by Fu Hung Suet
    and the money (from her business empire . . . ). At least she can end as a rich but lonely landlady somewhere in China or something ....
    Shang Guan Jin Hong spent all of her money already. But I am sure with her wits (and body) she could get some more in a very short time.
    Cyril Connolly

Originally posted by Fu Hung Suet
    I think uncle Gu Long was overly dramatizing her story...
    Ending up lonely and miserable is one thing but ending up as desperate prostitute is too much....
    I think this is what some people would like to consider as a little depth. it's not about the money, it's about exerting power over men. and that's why the ending was such, to get the author's intention across to the readers.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

she ended up as a high class prostitute woman, later on she became a low class prostitute, and the end it is said that nobody even wanted her, since she became a heartless sex maniac!