Thread: Janitor Monk vs. Cheung 3 Fung in a *discussion* of martial arts philosophy

Default Janitor Monk vs. Cheung 3 Fung in a *discussion* of martial arts philosophy

Jin Yong himself once said that Cheung 3 Fung was the greatest martial artist ever to appear in his wuxia novels. This does not mean that Cheung 3 Fung was the greatest *fighter* in the entire Jin Yong canon. While Cheung 3 Fung definitely could defeat any other character in the one novel he appeared in (HEAVEN SWORD & DRAGON SABRE), almost all Jin Yong fans would agree that the Janitor Monk of DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS, who is indeed by far the greatest fighter in the Jin Yong canon, would defeat Cheung 3 Fung in actual combat.

But what if Cheung 3 Fung were somehow able to meet the Janitor Monk and the two had a discussion (not a fight) regarding martial arts knowledge and philosophy? Who would emerge as the more knowledgeable and have a better understanding of martial arts philosophy?
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 01-02-04 at 11:06 PM.

I think Sweeper Monk will have better understanding in enlightenment, which is probably the reason he can reach such a high level in martial arts.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by superboy
    I think Sweeper Monk will have better understanding in enlightenment, which is probably the reason he can reach such a high level in martial arts.
    Yeah, i agree with superboy, if Z3F has a better understanding in enlightenment, than he will achieve at the stage that the sweeper monk got to or even more, but no, hes not even close....
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

Originally posted by superboy
    Having such incredibly high martial arts doesnt mean Sweeper Monk has better understanding than ZSF. As a matter of fact, sweeper monk had learned possibly the most powerful martial arts; Yi Jen Jing, therefore it shouldnt be denied.
    On the other hand, ZSF with 1/3 9Yang Shen Gong as the basis, invented completely new concept of martial arts namely Tai Chi.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Originally posted by ToOn99
    As a matter of fact, sweeper monk had learned possibly the most powerful martial arts; Yi Jen Jing
    Actually, nobody knows if the Janitor Monk learned Yik Gun Ging or not. He was a Shaolin monk, and he apparently used Shaolin martial arts (which might or might not include Yik Gun Ging). Other than that, it's hard to pin down exactly what the Janitor Monk's martial arts were because he wielded them in such a godlike manner.

thx for letting me know, ken .
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

I'd vote for Zhang San Feng simply becaused he invented almost everything he knew while the Sweeper Monk's achievement was only to understand what his predecessors invented (although he reached the demi-god level in that). In the words of Newton, the Sweeper Monk was already sitting on the shoulders of the giants while ZSF had to climb from the ground (almost, he did know a bit of 9 Yang and Lo Han Fists).

If ZSF had had the complete 9 Yang Shen Jing from the start (I so much hate ZWJ for burrying those manuals) he would have been much much better.
    • Discussion: the confusion of one person multiplied by the number present.
    • Discussion Forum: the place where everybody posts, nobody reads and everybody disagrees later on.