Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tang Guo Qiang

Hi FaMoonLau, I actually first saw an advertisement for this show at tigercool.com awhile ago, but it wasn't for sale or anything. Then just the other day, I found the poster for it while surfing around on baimeng.com. I'm interested in watching it just for the main cast alone, but I don't think it has been released yet. I wonder when it will be out and how many episodes there are?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Sorry I haven't been replying

Concerning the series, I don't think it will be as good as KX or YZ. Just a feeling
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

I never thought I'd see Tang Guo Qiang in Mongolian costume, but here he is in "Kang Ding Qing Ge" ( 康定情歌 ) as Mu Ya Qu Deng:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2003-12-15/2003-12-15_185_59.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/d/2003-12-15/2003-12-15_185_53.jpg')

This new series also stars Hu Jun, Si Qing Gao Wa, and Tao Hong.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I finally started watching "Da Tang Qing Shi" and am up to episode 14 now.

TGQ does a good job as Li Shimin/Tang Tai Zong, but I still like him better as emperor Yong Zheng. I really enjoyed the parts between Li Shimin and his daughter Gao Yang when she was little. The women (like the queen, concubines, lover, etc.) in this show never seem to age. I mean, their children grow up, but they don't even have a strand of white hair amongst them. So, now there are guys calling women who look more like their sisters, "Mother".

The background music of the series is definitely "Hollywood", but unlike TVB, it actually gives credit to the composer James Horner.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I finished watching DTQS and the ending is so depressing. Aside from Bian Ji's and princess Gao Yang's tragic love story, neither Gao Yang nor Wu Wang Ke were there when their father Li Shimin died.
    I hate, loathe, and abhor Zhangsun Wuji!!! It feels weird going from pitying him in "Wu Ze Tian" to totally wanting to chop his conniving head off in DTQS. Ah, the power of different portrayals or perhaps getting a better idea of the "whole picture".
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 11-21-04 at 02:29 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi,

I'm also a fan of Tang Guo Qiang. Like all of you in here, became his fan since his portrayal of Kong Ming. That will also always my favorite role of his. The second favorite role will also be Yong Zheng.

As of DTQS, I also seen it. I also like Li Shi Min. His protrayal in there was also great. But to be honest, I don't quite like the way Gao Yang bother Bian Zhi. For god's sake, he's a monk. Let him be who he is. Besides he also have a very noble duty to fulfill, that is to help his teacher writing "Da Tang's Journey to the West". Of all the people, the person she shouldn't have love is him. He already gave up revenging his father and decided to devote his live to writing the book. If it wasn't because of her, his identity would never be revealed. In my mind, he was death because of her, it was her who ruined him.

Another thing I don't like Gao Yang was that she was quite unfilial. She used her father's love for her against him. It was like she stab him right in the heart. What kind of a daughter is that. Especially, he loves her. He hadn't done her any wrong. He had fulfilled every responsibility as a father. Every time I see her seduce Bian Zhi and fight with her father, I really angry wanted to curse her. At times, I almost wanted to fast forward her parts.

Aside from that, I think the actress was gorgeous and has a pretty good acting skill. She made me both like and hate her.

TGQ's portrayal of pain whenever GY hurt him was also exellent.

Aside from this serial. I also seen "Da Tang Ge Fei" where he played Tang Xuan Zong Li Long Ji, "Jue Duei Quan Li" where he played a communist politician, "Bao Gong Chu Xun" where he played a Wang Yeh who conspired to take over the throne, and "Da Jiao Ma Huang Hou" where he played Ming Tai Ju Zhu Yuan Zhang. Of all the series I've seen him in, I think the one I dislike the most is DJMHH. That series was suck. I don't like the way they portrayed Ma Huang Hou. It was rediculous.

One thing I noticed is he seem like to display his special skills at least one in every series. He most often display his calligraphy skill. I always enjoy to see him write. Every time I see him write, I would rewind and see it again and again and again. I know that he and his friend held calligraphy conferences and sell his calligaphy books. I really want to have a copy of his writings. One more thing, do any of you know whether he really knows how to play the "Qin or Zheng", you know the strings instrument he played during the "Empty City Scheme" and in the Bao Gong one? I remember reading somewhere that said that his family was a music family also and that he learned quite a few music intruments. I couldn't tell whether he really know how to play them, but they looked so real. Especially in the Bao Gong series. It was just magnificient. The way he played, the way he express, his fingers just match up completely. That is one of the things I like and admire him the most. In my mind, he's like that of a modern scholar.

Best regards,
    Chau Le.

Hi chaule!

Yay, another TGQ and Kongming fan.

I too pretty much straddle the fence when it comes to Gao Yang. Love is not something one can just control and I think she had every right to feel the way she did about Bian Ji. As a princess who was used to getting anything and everything she wanted all her life, it was probably especially difficult for her to understand the far-reaching repercussions of her actions. Bian Ji loved her too, but he just wasn't as vocal and active about his feelings. It didn't seem like he tried that hard to turn her down and they both cherished the short amount of time they shared together. I think the people most responsible for Bian Ji's death were that jealous monk who sold him out, Gao Yang's husband, and of course Zhangsun Wuji. I was also hoping that Li Shimin would somehow change his mind at the last second since he's the emperor and all, but that didn't happen. Of course it can also be argued that if Gao Yang truly loved Bian Ji, she would have left him alone from the very beginning, but that doesn't necessarily bar the fact that his true identity would never have been revealed. Basically, everyone had a part. I found it symbolic that the wolves spared Bian Ji at one point, but people are really the most vicious and heartless of all animals.

Yeah, I felt so sad that the father-daughter relationship ended the way it did in the show. Li Shimin was definitely a good father to Gao Yang and she was his favorite daughter out of 20-something. Now that is saying a lot. On the other hand, it's easy to understand why having to execute the man she loved the most would not bode too well. I agree that Echo Shen acted well as Gao Yang. Her mannerisms reminded me a lot of Chen Hong's in "Da Ming Gong Ci". Have you watched that series?

I wonder why Gao Yang was not betrothed to the elder Fang son, but instead to the younger one? I don't think the older one was married and I'm pretty sure he liked Gao Yang as more than just a sister-in-law. Plus, unlike his younger brother, he's actually a kind, considerate, and intelligent guy. Historically, was Gao Yang executed during Li Zhi's rule on account of treason or something? I remember that she was in "Wu Ze Tian", but in this more glamorized account in DTQS, she ended up leaving with her birth mother, son, and some other people. Side note: the little boy who played her son and the young Bian Ji was so adorable.

I have not seen "Da Tang Ge Fei". I heard that it wasn't very good, so I gave it a pass. The cast is pretty much the same as in DTQS, right? Do you know who played Yang Gui Fei? Was "Bao Gong Chu Xun" a good show? Is "Da Jiao Ma Huang Hou" supposed to be a comedy that just fell flat?

Yes! TGQ is highly skilled at calligraphy. I've never heard anything about his really knowing how to play the lute or not and I never knew he came from a musical family. I read that he comes from a family of doctors, but hey, it could be both. I totally agree with you. He didn't just play Kongming. He was Kongming, my hero!!!

I noticed that tigercool has recently released a new TGQ drama. It has received pretty good viewer reviews so far.
    I found a new TGQ site. It's pretty cool, so check it out!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

First of all, thank you for the welcome. Also thank you for the link to TGQ's website. It was nicely done. I will visit it often, eventhough I'm pretty bad with simplified.

Ok, lets continue with our discussion.

First of all, as of Bian Ji's resistance to her. I thought he did try pretty hard to avoid her. He even ran away to the mountain to avoid her to wait for his teacher. He did try his best to stay his course, but then she came and all his efforts gone to waste. I felt so sorry for him then. As of the actor, Nie Yuan, that was the second time I seen him. I saw him three times total. First was in Dicky Cheung's Ji Ling Xiao Zi which was a total failure, then Bian Ji, then as Qian Long in Tian Xia Liang Chang. Out of them all, I think I like him best in DTQS. I think you probably can figure out what's my second favorite role of his.

Ofcourse you can also say that quite a few people responsible for his death and I also agree. But I just think that the leading cause for his fate was her. Because without her, probably no one will go around and investigate into his past? Even if it was still possible for people to investigate his past, I think the chance is much lower and therefore the chance that monk to sell him out is also much lower. What do you think?

Indeed, people are the most vicious and heartless of all animals. I absolutely agree.

It's true that it's really sad that he had to kill the person he know his daughter love the most. I think that's the price emperors had to bear. That's why sometimes I really felt sorry for the emperors.

So the actress who played Gao Yang is Echo Shen? Do you know her full name? Is she a mainland actress or Taiwan? Recently I just saw her for the second time in the series "Shen Yi Xi Lai Le" which was about a very talented doctor on the Chinese channel. She play his lover and marry him in the end. To tell the truth, because it had been so long before I see her again that I completely forgot about her. When I first saw her there, I only know that she look very familiar but I couldn't recall where did I see her. Only until when I discovery this forum, and read through you guys' discussions about Gao Yang that all of a sudden something just pop into my head and suddenly remember that she was GY. People's mind is really weird, isn't it?

Don't remember why GY wasn't betrothed to the elder son too. Could it be his wife was death? I would prefer if she married him too. He was a noble person.

Oh, as of GY's true historicall account. I have no idea. I didn't even know she existed until saw her character in DTQS. Even then, I wasn't even sure that she really existed instead of a made up character until now. May I ask you a question? Do you know anything about Bian Ji? What's his true life story? I really curious about him because of his involvement in the making of the "Da Tang Xi You Ji - Da Tang's Journey to the West". My family has a copy of it in Vietnamese and it has his name on it as the writer. I just hope that the story in DTQS wasn't truely based on his life. If it is, then I'm gonna be really really sad.

As for Da Tang Ge Fei. I think the show is ok. Eventhough I think DTQS is probably better. TGQ's image there was really similar. You know, the same kind of costume, same mustard/beard. I don't know the name of the actress who played Yang Gui Fei, but she was very beautiful even she was already thirty something (based on her look). The story is quite touching. It also has a brand new actor who I think was quite handsome. I have the whole VCD set given to me by my friend.

Of all the series I've seen him in. The worst has to be "Da Jiao Ma Huang Hou". Yes, it is a comedy that just fell flat. You know, normally I would stay and watch every part of the show. Like with Gao Yang's parts, eventhough I was pissed but I still watched every bit of the show. But this one, later to the series, sometimes when it came to her part I just got up and do other things and only listen to it to know what's going on. But ofcourse, TGQ also displayed his calligraphy skill here too and I also rewind and rewind and rewind.

Bao Gong Chu Xun was ok. As you probably can figure out that in the end he would be executed for he tried to take over the throne. But it was quite a treasure for the part where he played the string instrument "Zheng - the 21 strings Chinese Zither". If you were amazed when he played the "Gu Qin - Ancient Zither" in San Guo, in here he was even more magnificant. I couldn't tell whether they were recording while he play or was it edited later on.

No, I haven't seen "Da Ming Gong Ci". What's the story about? Who star in it? To be honest, I don't really know that much of Mainland actors/actresses. I only know a few like: TGQ (ofcourse ), Wang Gang, Zhang Tie Lin, Chen Dao Ming, Huang Xiao Ming, Vicki Zhao, Zhou Jie, Hu Jun, Chen Kun (only heard of and seen pictures), Gao Hu. Out of the above, I'm a fan of Huang Xiao Ming and TGQ. Like Zhang Tie Lin, Wang Gang, Chen Dao Ming, and Vicki Zhao. If I see any one of them in a series, it could turn my eyes on. Hu Jun, well he's ok, pretty good. The rest is just ok, don't really care. Have them fine, don't have them, fine too.
    Last edited by chaule; 11-24-04 at 11:18 PM.

You're welcome.

While I agree that Bian Ji definitely tried to escape the temptation, I still feel that he could have done more had he been truly disciplined. After Gao Yang arrived at his little hideout, he gave in and slept with her more than once and was content to be with her until Wu Wang Ke arrived and tried to feed him to the wolves. "Ying xiong nan guo mei ren guan." Another thing I would argue is that his being a monk and helping his master write "Da Tang Xi You Ji" was his only "correct" course of life. If his father hadn't been forced to commit suicide due to his involvement in that Xian Wu Men fiasco, he would probably have lived a totally different life where he could be free to fall in love, get married, and have children. Gao Yang's advances may have just brought out that other side of him, but too bad fate determined the unfortunate circumstances.

Yes, the chances of his true identity being discovered would have been significantly lower had Gao Yang not fallen for him, but I think the jealous monk might have eventually turned him in anyway so he could have Bian Ji's position.

I've been watching so many Nie Yuan series of late, although not intentionally. I first saw him in "A Chinese Ghost Story" as Qi Ye, then as a general named Luo Cheng in "Sui Tang Ying Xiong Zhuan", then as Zhu Zheng in "Smart Kid"/"Ji Ling Xiao Zi", then of course as Bian Ji in DTQS, and now I'm watching "Tian Xia Liang Cang". What a coincidence that you should mention some of those. His character was weak in SK, but I did notice some improvement towards the end. How did you like that series overall? Are you a fan of Dicky? I watched that series because of Shen Xiao Hai, the actor who played Ning Wang. Did he leave any impression on you?

Yeah, the country always had to come before family no matter what. Sometimes it's just sad for the royal family in general 'cause princesses were pawns for establishing strong relations and maintaining peace and there was so much backstabbing to gain a powerhold or even to stay alive. I'd much rather just be a regular citizen.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the historical Bian Ji, although in both of the series I've seen involving Gao Yang, they've covered her romance with him. He ended up getting executed in both cases. It was probably a huge deal to sleep around with a princess. The love story in DTQS is obviously heavily exaggerated to make things more interesting.

I believe Echo Shen's full name is Shen Ao Jun. She's a mainland actress. DTQS is the first series I've seen her in, but I know she's also in "Field of Dreams" with Lu Yi. Did she also have a part in "Da Tang Ge Fei"?

I've never seen TGQ play an antagonist before. I'm sure he was good up to his execution in BGCX.
    I absolutely love that empty city stratagem episode in SGYY. TGQ was so into the lute it was amazing. I'm pretty sure that I held my breath the whole time waiting for Sima Yi to make his move (backwards, that is, haha).

"Da Ming Gong Ci" is about the tragic life of Wu Ze Tian's daughter, Tai Ping gong zhu. I like her more than Gao Yang. Both Zhou Xun and Chen Hong played Tai Ping (younger and more mature versions, respectively), Gui Ya Lei played Wu Ze Tian, and Zhao Wen Xuan played two roles (one as Tai Ping's first husband and the other as one of Wu Ze Tian's concubines). Here it is at tigercool if you're interested.

You probably know more mainland thespians than most people here at SPCNET. Don't forget that you know Nie Yuan, since he's a mainland actor as well. Although I know quite a few mainland thespians, I'm a fan of TGQ, Chen Dao Ming, Shen Xiao Hai, Qiao Zhen Yu, and Gao Yuan Yuan. I also have a great deal of respect for other and (in some cases, overlooked) veteran actors like Wang Gang, Zhang Tie Lin, Du Yu Lu, etc. I do like HXM too. Are you more familiar with HK and/or Taiwanese actors? I noticed that your avatar is Julian Cheung from LOCH 1994. Are you a fan of his? If so, that's another thing we have in common.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 11-25-04 at 04:07 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yes, the jealous monk also could do that but I think the chance he able to do that is also much lower. He probably won't be able to reach the high official. One more thing, if there wasn't so much attention paid to BJ by officials, then that monk probably will not thought of that idea and try other avenues like framing him on some other things within the religion world itself. Anyway, what's done is done. Can't go back.

What a coincedence. I also wasn't intent on Nie Yuan but ended up watching him three times.

Yes I'm a fan of Dicky. But lately he hadn't done any watchable series. Including this Smart Kid. It was a failure. I don't like the series at all. For one, he dress ridiculously, second, I hate those students of his. They are annoying. If it was me, I would kick all their butt out of school, but not before give them a good beating.

As of Nie Yuan's role (why did I forgot I knew him too ), like you, I also think his role and his performance only pick up after he became emperor. Only then that I see some potential in him. Before that, I thought he was some bad actor. Don't know whether it was because of the role or because he wasn't fit for it. But then, I changed my mind about him after Bian Ji.

If both show had Bian Ji involved with GY and got executed, then probably he was really got executed?

Da Ming Gong Ci's picture is too small. I couldn't tell. But what you said sound familiar. I probably watched it on TV. I remember seen a series about Wu Zhe Tian and Tai Ping Gong Zhu too. I was surprised when you said this series was about Wu Zhe Tian. I thought it was about Ming Dynasty.

Echo Shen Ao Jun wasn't in "Da Tang Ge Fei", eventhough there also has a young beautiful actress that pair up with the young new actor that I thought was quite handsome too. There were only two pairs of lovers: the emperor and Yang Gui Fei, and the young pair. The scene where Yang Gui Fei died was very touching. TGQ's display of pain was great. I cried. If you can, watch it. You might like it too?

You like Shen Xiao Hai, heh? He was ok. His portrayal as Ning Wang there was pretty good. Actually, I think his performance there was the best in the whole cast. His character was the most interesting. He's quite good looking too. Where did you first saw him? Which role did he made the biggest impression on you?

Yes, I'm more familiar with Hong Kong artist, but only the actors from early 80's up to the first two third of the 90's. From those actors, I'm a fan of many of them. The Five Tigers (Number one is Andy Lau), Adam Cheng, Idy Chan, Barbara Yung, Maggie Tzang, Aaron Kwok, Leon Lai, Julian Cheung, Hugo Ng Doi Yung, Eddie Cheung Siu Fai, Gallen Law, Canti Lau Shek Ming, Lawrence Ng Kai Wah, Louis Koo. There defenitely more but I can't remember now.

Of all the three regions, I think the place that have the fewest artists I know is Taiwan. Out of them, I only a fan of Alec Su, Nicky wu, Jimmy Lin, and Takeshi Kaneshiro. I also like Wang Yan, Alyssia Chia, and the new discover of an veteran actress Chen Sha Li from her role of Dou Tai Hou from DH I. Somehow, I never really interest in Taiwan entertainment. Just doesn't fit my taste. I think Taiwan's industry is the weakest of all.

Regards,
    Chau Le.

I don't know where you are, but happy Thanksgiving!!!

I agree, the chances for using that route of sabotage would have been much lower. As for being able to reach the high official, that might not be unlikely if the monastery became famous after Bian Ji's master came back and wrote DTXYJ with Bian Ji. On the "bright" side, I think that Gao Yang allowed Bian Ji to experience the joy of love and sex, which he probably would have been able to experience without consequence had his father not been involved in the XWM incident.

I like Dicky too, but I've only seen two of his series. Have you seen "Shao Nian Ying Xiong Fang Shi Yu"? I have it, but I don't know if it's any good. Did you watch all of "Smart Kid"? I thought Dicky's students were really annoying at the beginning, but they definitely got better as the show progressed (which was the point). I could understand why he had to dress that way when the students were pouring paint on him and throwing unpleasant things at him, but then later, he should have gotten a better outfit. SK was made in 2000, so it was probably one of Nie Yuan's first series. Considering that, he did okay on the acting front. The role itself was a pretty wussy one to begin with. Of the series I've seen, I think his best roles are in ACGS, STYXZ, and DTQS.

Here is a better picture of the cover of DMGC. Yeah, I actually thought it was about the Ming dynasty at first too; the name is somewhat misleading.

Maybe I will give DTGF a try one day. It's just that I've been told by several people that it's nowhere as good as DTQS and DTQS itself was somewhat draggy to me and I would probably never have watched it had TGQ not been in it. I remember watching a mainland series a long time ago (maybe 10 years or so?) about Tang Ming Wang and Yang Gui Fei. I think the series was called "Tang Ming Wang", but I cannot find it anywhere. I wonder if I just dreamt the whole thing up. It also doesn't help that I didn't know any actor names back then.

Yeah, I really like Shen Xiao Hai. The word "like" may in fact be understating it. I first saw him in "Hua Gu Zi", a Liao Zhai tale in which he played a bamboo spirit named Tao Zui, and I have been a fan ever since. So basically, he made a big impression on me right off the bat, which is why I proceeded to obtain and watch a bunch of his other series like ACGS, SK, and "New Reincarnation" ("Jin Can Si Yu"). I will hopefully also be getting "Wu Yan Nu" soon as well. Xiao Hai is not only a handsome, charasmatic, sexy, and talented actor who can play a variety of roles, he is also a very kind and modest person in real life. I really appreciate an actor whom I can admire on all fronts, as they are quite rare. Of course TGQ is another such example.

Wow, you're a fan of a lot of HK actors and actresses! I'm familiar with most of the names you've listed thanks to SPCNET, but haven't watched many of their works. Julian is my favorite hands down, but I like the acting of Louis, Gallen, Tony and Andy as well. Have you seen the DIF series? I really liked the chemistry between Michael Tao and Kenix Kwok in the first 3.

Taiwan seems to turn out a lot of modern pop idol dramas or really sappy shows. I'm a fan of Jimmy Lin too, but thank goodness he's not stuck in a rut like that. Wang Yan as in Rebecca Wang Yan? She's a mainland actress.
    Yes, Chen Sha Li was so great in DHTZ. She and CDM absolutely stole the show.
    Do you watch any Korean or Japanese series?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving too.

You mean you bought "Shao Nian Ying Xiong Fang Shi Yu" but still didn't watch it? Man, how weird. I know that many people in here also buy series and then don't watch them. I don't quite understand though. Aren't you suppose to know that you like it first? I don't know how people can buy things that they have no idea of what is was like in the first place. Me, I can not. At least before knowing HXM though. But eventhough I bought DH II and going to buy Long Piao before I even watch it. But still, I was pretty sure it's gonna be good. Otherwise, the rest of my collection, I always have seen them and like them enough to buy. How about you? Have you bought any that you absolutely don't like it afterward? If you do, then what do you do with it?

Anyway, back to SNYXFSY, of all the series I've seen him in I think this is his best. I have a friend who is absolutely not a fan of him. She even doesn't like him but she also had to admit that this is one of his two best roles. The story was good. The actor's performances were good too. The only flaw is the the ending. Kind of abrupt and weird. I also bought the DVD version of it. It can be consider as a Another is his role as the evil monk, supposed to be Wu Hua but they changed it to Ru Chen, in the new Chu Liu Xiang series that Richie Ren (don't know if I remember his name right?) starred in.

Yes, I did watch all of Smart Kid. Do you think his costume in there was a little bit too feminine? The weird thing is that he also wore the exact same kind of costume in a serial after that, "Shao Nian Zhang San Feng", which also starred Alec Su. I don't know was it his design or was it his designer's but they were extremely ugly in my opinion. But at least in ZSF, his costume didn't have all those flowers on it so it didn't look feminine.

Yeah, I think they should have change "DMGC" to Da Zhou Gong Ci too. Wasn't Wu Ze Tian's dynasty called Da Zhou? How weird?

By the way, one thing I always find it weird and annoying was the female costumes of all the series involving Tang Dynasty. Do you notice them to be too much like that of the Europeans' ancient costumes? Why do they have the upper body exposed? They exposed all the way to the breast. Wasn't the women of the ancient China suppose to be fully covered? How strange? Propably they want to catch attention of audiences? Especially male?

Yes, I did have the same feeling as you are about DTQS at times. DTGF at least didn't have the moments where I want to pull my hair out.

Ok, the word "like" Shen Xiao Hai may be understating your level of admiration for him. But you said you "really like", then that's another whole level added to it. Unless you want to say you "really really like".

What is DFI? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with TVB's series after 98. You can even say that I only watch mainland series nowadays. As of Micheale Tao and Kenix Kwok, I like them too. They are great too. As you can see, they belong to the older TVB generation, the great generation. Nowadays, I've completely lost faith with them.

TW's series always cheesy and sappy.

Yes, I also know Rebecca Wang came from Qing Dao, China. Same as my HXM.
    But she always starred in Taiwan series, wasn't she? And she also live in TW. So I consider her as TW actress. I was quite happy to know that she and HXM are close friends and had cooperated three times.

I do not watch Korean nor Japanese series. I only have two movies in my collection. One is a Japan ancient war movie, recorded from Satellite, tittled "Heaven and Earth - Tian Yu Di" (have you heard it?) Another is a Korean movie coop. with China "Musa - Wu Shi" (you probably know this one). As you might already figure out. I don't quite like watching romances. I think I might be more interest if they have more historicals or at least investigative series. Eventhough, I would prefer to watch them in their original language with English subs. I don't like watching dubbed. That's why I watch chinese and hong kong series in their original languages eventhough my knowledge to the two languages can be consider as just ABCs.

Thanks! Whew, I feel like I'm about to explode after all this turkey.

SNYXFSY was bought for me, but no, I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for your input on it. I usually don't buy series unless there's an actor I like in it or I know I'll like the show for sure. No, I don't think I own any that I absolutely hate, but I haven't watched them all yet, so we'll see. Do you have series that you've watched over and over again?
    DHTZ II wasn't as good as part I, but I'm sure you'll still enjoy it since you're a HXM fan. Not that it's HXM's fault or anything, but I honestly couldn't stand Liu Che.

Dicky wore the same yellow spattered outfit in SNZSF too? What kind of role did he play in there? Are you of the opinion that Dicky always plays himself in his series? I hear that a lot about him.

Yep, Wu Ze Tian's dynasty was indeed called Zhou. What I've always found strange is why royal families don't name dynasties after their own surnames. For instance, why is it the Tang dynasty rather than the Li dynasty, or why is it the Han dynasty rather than the Liu dynasty? Maybe my thinking is just not sophisticated enough.
    I noticed the women's costumes during the Tang dynasties shows as well (especially DTQS). They've all got their big busts exposed, but I'm sure the male audience doesn't mind. I don't like the outfits the maids had to wear; they're like long skirts hiked up above the chest and it's just a totally unflattering style. Did you also notice how the women (like Gao Yang's mother, the queen, Wu Wang Ke's mother, etc.) in DTQS never seemed to age?

I really, really, really (X 100 million ) like Shen Xiao Hai. Or maybe it's just easier to use the word "love".

DIF = Detective Investigation Files. I believe the first one was made in 1995 and the following two with Michael and Kenix were made in subsequent years before or around '98 while part IV (with a totally new cast) was made in 2000. You said that you like investigative series, so I think you'd really enjoy these. What are your favorite TVB series? There seems to be a consensus that the quality of TVB series has deteriorated over the years, but I'm sure there are still good ones each year. "Greed Mask", which I believe was made last year, is one of my favorites. I generally don't like shows that are only centered around romance either. I love action, suspense, court intrigue, and mystery!

Rebecca, HXM, AND TGQ are all from Qing Dao. In fact, a lot of mainland thespians seem to be. Is Rebecca married to a Taiwanese guy or something? She does seem to be in quite a few mainland-Taiwan collaborations. She's in "Hua Gu Zi" with Shen Xiao Hai, Zhang Ting, and Qiu Xin Zhi.

I've never watched any Korean movies and the only Japanese ones I've seen are Ringu 0, I, and II. I've watched 4 Korean series so far and have disliked only one of them. I generally find them pretty entertaining and the music is easy on the ears. The one Japanese series I've seen was only 3 episodes long ("Story of One Century), but it was good. I don't mind subtitles or dubbing as long as the quality is decent.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Really, you don't like Liu Che in the second one? Well, it's been five years after as an emperor ofcourse he had to change. Eventhough his personality was less likeable but it make more sense for me. If he was just as innocence and naive as in the first one, then I would be disappointed. That's how an emperor was suppose to be. He displayed it well. I actually like the second one more than the first one. The story was almost perfect. If only they made him more wise, able to make right decisions and right solutions without having to rely on others to help him correct his mistakes, then it would have been perfect. While watching it, I kept on thinking that they didn't make the character display the characteristic of one of the greatest emperor of China history. The character doesn't seem to be able to form sound strategies to solve his problems. I really hope that they will built the character better in the third installment of the series. Hope he can be really independent, doesn't have to rely on his advisors all the time.

Ofcourse everything in my collections, I have rewatched them more once. Well hey, that's the whole point of buying them isn't it? For example, I've rewatched DH II for like four times now and still want to see it again. I always enjoy interaction b/t Liu Che and Zhu Fu Yan. My eyes alway glued to the screen when ever they're on. The same thing goes for SGYY and Kong Ming.

Well, Dicky didn't wear the same shirt in SNZSF. But he wore the same style. You know, they looked exactly the same style, only different in colors. Yes, that's true, he play himself alot. That's what I don't like about him lately. And that makes me admire HXM even more, he always make his characters completely different.

Yes, I also don't like the clothes the maid wore. But that's the real Tang's "fashion". Do you know that the traditional dress of Korean women were from Tang Dynasty? So by looking at them, you know exactly what Tang women wore. Those exposing dress the series made the lead actress wore were absolutely wrong. But how weird that they let the maids wore the correct costumes.

I really didn't pay attention to the aging question. Now that you mentioned it.

I've seen Greed Mask. It was ok, watchable but not really great in my opinion. But that's like last year. Now, I don't see anything is even watchable. I've canceled my membership with the TVB video store for a long long time now. I'm completely into the Mainland now. Know what, I've just done watching a new series call "Split Second" my friend's family rented. Have you seen it? I copied the movie Infernal Affairs. At first, I thought it was really good at first. It really did got the air of Infernal Affair, very intense. But then the later it gets, the more dragging it became. The police were basically useless. They just couldn't get the criminals no matter how hard they tried. I got really bored.

Yeah, I noticed that all three of them are from Qing Dao. Hooray for QD.

I think she did married a Taiwaner. I know she's married, and since she's living in TW so you can figured.

Ofcourse I don't mind subbings too if they were decent. Just that if I can choose between the two, I would prefer the original voice. Somehow, I think it delivers feelings better and sound more good.

Have you seen Hero Zheng Cheng Gong (¾G¦¨¥\) yet? I think TGQ played the last emperor of Ming, Zong Zeng Huang Di. I seen it and Kang Ding Qing Ge at YesAsia.

Later,
    Chau Le.
    Last edited by chaule; 11-26-04 at 01:38 AM.

To me, Liu Che was still pretty naive in the second part. I didn't think it was realistic how in the first part, he was backstabbed by one of his uncles and then in the second part, he listened to another one of his underhanded uncles. I couldn't stand how he treated Wei Qing (and Wei Zifu too, to a certain extent). It's important to be cautious, but it's more important to be cautious against the right people. Wang Gang was great as Zhufu Yan. He picked up where CDM had left off, but of course using his own unique and humorous style of acting.
    Did you like Wang Lin or Ning Jing more as Wei Zifu? There will be yet another different actress playing her in the third part! Speaking of that, I can't wait for it to come out. Unfortunately, the filming must be delayed until ROCH is completed. I wonder how many years after the period of reign covered in the second installment the third one will begin?

There might be some series that you've seen more times than others, I wouldn't know. The one series that I've watched at least five times is SGYY. No big surprise there, eh? Was SGYY the first TGQ series you saw? I've also seen the old "Xi You Ji" about three times. Most other series that I've seen more than once I've only twice just because there are always new series coming out or ones I haven't yet seen that I want to see.

They probably had the maids wear the correct Tang costumes so as to make the main ladies stand out more. There has to be that stark contrast between royalty and underlings.

Hmm...well, maybe your standards are different now after watching so many mainland series. Do you watch a lot of modern mainland series? I don't, although most of the TVB ones I've seen have been. I've never watched an ancient historical TVB drama. I've heard of "Split Second", but haven't seen it. I want to watch "Placebo Cure", which came out this year and got pretty good reviews. The concept is fresh and it stars Sunny Chan, whom I think is a handsome and decent actor.

I agree with you for the most part about the original voices. When I watch Korean or Japanese series, I prefer English subtitles so I can hear the actors' original voices. I really like the sound and tones of both languages. However, I dislike the sound of Cantonese as it is so darn choppy and rough, so I actually prefer Mandarin dubbing even though there are a limited number of voice actors.

Nope, I haven't seen "Zheng Cheng Gong" yet. It's weird that yesasia has just recently released it when it's not a new series.
    I'm interested in watching "Kang Ding Qing Ge" and seeing TGQ as a Mongolian leader. Have you seen "Yong Le Ying Xiong"?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Regarding Liu Che, if you have time visit HXM's official website and read his fans' essays on his characters and his actings. They have many great insights and suggestions. Hope this will answer your questions about his behavior.

You read simplified, am I right?

Here's the address: http://www.huangxiaoming.cn/data/Art...&articletype=1

Hope you will find this informative.

We will continue our discussion later. Now, I have to go.

See you,
    Chau Le.
    Last edited by chaule; 11-26-04 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks for the link. I only read some simplified Chinese. Honestly, my character recognition skills are quite weak. Talk to you later!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi,

I just posted some links of HXM's interview and filming of Shen Diao Xia Lu at Huang Xiao Ming thread. Check them out if you have time.

Enjoy,
    Chau Le.

And I did. Thanks again!

Going back to when we were talking about "Da Ming Gong Ci", the name is actually in reference to princess Tai Ping's palace and where she ended up committing suicide.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

So, it was Tai Ping's palace name. Now I understand why. But still, the tittle was kind of confusing at first. If one doesn't watch the series and doesn't know the story, one would easily mistaken the series is about some big incident during Ming Dynasty. Do you agree? Oh, by the way, I forgot why she suicided. Can you help remind me?

Again, thank you for giving me the address to TGQ's webpage. I finally know how old he is. Before I tried to search on his biography but couldn't find any. I thought probably because he belongs to the older generation and no one of the youngster like him so he doesn't have any webpage dedicated to him. I was so disappointed then. Now I found out TGQ is just exactly ten years younger than my parent. Quite a coincidence.

I'm really happy now that I finally found someone that is the same as me, also like old men.

Talk to you later,
    Chau Le.
    Last edited by chaule; 12-03-04 at 04:43 AM.