Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions regarding several Gu Long characters

Default Questions regarding several Gu Long characters

Just rewatched Wu Lin Wai Shi (Huang Hai Bing as Shen Lang) and I have a few questions.

1. Any feets he did (martial arts wise) which was considered out of this world? I know his intelligence and wisdom is well above any other Gu Long characters.

2. How strong were the other characters in the novel etc. Wang Lian Hua,Xiong Mao'er, Bai Baijing?

Xiao Shiyi Lang

1. Those two old masters who were able to project sword chi and even move swords with their minds. Would you rank them near Ji BeiQing?

2. In Treasure Raiders starring Felix Wong, those two men combined were equal to Xiao Shiyi Lang. Was this so in the novel or was he superior to them?
    Yo momma cat

I don't know about WLWS, but as for the old two sword master in XSYL, they're MUCH better than XSYL himself. It's not even close. However, the best they can accomplish is to extend a sword's length with chi. They can't actually project a sword themseleves, like Duan Yu can in DGSD.

Originally posted by Meh
    I don't know about WLWS, but as for the old two sword master in XSYL, they're MUCH better than XSYL himself. It's not even close. However, the best they can accomplish is to extend a sword's length with chi. They can't actually project a sword themseleves, like Duan Yu can in DGSD.
    Hmm, I'll have to double check but I'm not seeing things quite the same way you are.

- I think combined they may be somewhat better than XSYL (I'm not sure about MUCH better), but individually I don't think they're better. At best, each of them is about the same level (although I personally feel XSYL is better).

- I don't recall them projecting sword chi. I remember them being able to drive their swords through the air by connecting a thread to them, which is one step below their idea of the ultimate peak of swordsmanship, which is being able to move swords without any contact whatsoever.
    Last edited by TigerWong; 01-06-04 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks for the replies. Still waiting for the Shen Lang one

1. So those two old men attached a string to the handle of their swords and tied it to their wrist and performed sword techniques with it?

2. Also what's this I hear about Ding Pang's Full Moon Curved Saber improving his skills by 120 percent. Absolutely insane considering he was around Xie Xiaofeng's level with a normal saber.
    Yo momma cat

Originally posted by minutemanwayne

2. Also what's this I hear about Ding Pang's Full Moon Curved Saber improving his skills by 120 percent. Absolutely insane considering he was around Xie Xiaofeng's level with a normal saber.
    Wait till you see Dugu Qui Bai with the Yu Tian Jian.

Originally posted by minutemanwayne

1. So those two old men attached a string to the handle of their swords and tied it to their wrist and performed sword techniques with it?
    It's not like they tied on a string and then used it to fling the sword around, after all that's nothing special. Although they are connected to their shortsword via a string, the sword still appeared to move of it's own will as if alive.

Where did it say anything about Ding Pang being Xie XiaoFeng's level w. a normal sabre? And yes, the Curved Sabre does improve his skills over a regular sabre. So it says a lot about his skill when he defeated Lau Yeark Chung (who was wielding the Curved Sabre and who also acquired the Art) w. just a wooden sabre.

Hi,

From my brief look at the novel, it seems that :
    -Xiao 11 Lang admitted that he was inferior to the Red Cherry and Green Willow duo, individually. He only won by luck. Martial arts-wise, either of the old swordsman would be superior to Xiao 11 Lang.

-The duo did control the short swords with a piece of string attached to the swords like Tiger said. I find their current level not all that special; however they said that in 10+ years, if they're still alive, they might reach the stage of projecting their sword to 100+ feet away by attaching a 100+ feet string to the sword.

And apparently, if one can practice the way of the sword for 150 years, he can possibly reach the level of projecting his internal energy to 100+ feet away.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

hm, I thought it was said that the Twin Old Sword Man were "one ;level behind" achieving sword chi level(what DY accomplished DGSD).
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    hm, I thought it was said that the Twin Old Sword Man were "one ;level behind" achieving sword chi level(what DY accomplished DGSD).
    The ultimate level of swordplay in Xiao 11 Lang is 以气驭剑, which I interpret as Controlling the Sword With Internal Energy, where a sword is still required. So in theory that level is still less profound than the ultimate level of Dugu Qiubai and 6MSJ. However, in practice, 以气驭剑 is said to be able to kill an opponent from 100+ feet away, which 6MSJ/Dugu Qiubai cannot do.

that is length difference due to different writers. However, if we were to "intersect" the 2 worlds and use DGQB theory and 6MSJ level as the basis of sword, then what the Twin Sword Old Man achieved was less than DY.

As for how The Twin Sword Old Man compare to X11L. I think it was mentioned somewhere that X11L himself is ~ 1 of the Old Man, but obviously no match for both of them.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

When the Cherry/Willow Sword Duo do the talking as a team, I find their style hilarious. They just keep on talking, each person would never speak more than one line at a time, then the other person would continue where the previous one left off, as if they are both connected in thoughts. And each line they say would be faster paced than before, not giving Xiao 11 Lang a chance to respond at all.

萧十一郎道:‘两位本该知道,我绝没有这意思的。”
      红袍老人冷冷道,“我只知道你近来的确已是个了不起的大人物。”
      绿袍老人道:“据说你不仅已是天下第一高手,而且也已富甲天下。”
      红袍老人道:“但我们都还是想不到,你居然将无垢山庄也买了下来。”
      绿袍老人道:“这一家人就是毁在你手里的,你却买下了他们的庄院。”
      红袍老人道:“沈壁君为了你颠沛流离,受尽折磨,你却另有了新欢。”
      绿袍老人道:“你想必也该知道,我们刚才已见到了她。”
      红袍老人道:“她对你佩服得很,佩服得永远也不想再见你。”
      绿袍老人道:“像你这种了不起的人物,我们也是万万高攀不上的。”
      红袍老人道:“今日我们前来,就是为了告诉你,你我从此恩断义绝。”
      绿袍老人道:“从今日起,我们再也不认得你。”
      他们越说越气,话也越说越抉,根本不给别人插口的余地。
      萧十一郎只有听着。

Later:
      李红樱冷冷道:“我们的剑长只七寸,你的棍却有一丈二寸。”
      杨绿柳道:“你以长击短,以强制险,以为我们根本就很难近你的身?”
      李红樱道:“你自以为纵然不胜,至少已先立于不败之地。”
      杨绿柳道:“所以你故意激怒我们?”
      李红樱道:“你既然只用三招,以我两人的身份,当然也不能多用一招。”
      杨绿柳道:“你认为我们绝对无法在三招内击败你。”
      李红樱道:“可是你错了。”
      萧十一郎静静地听着,等着他们说下去

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Hi,

From my brief look at the novel, it seems that :
    -Xiao 11 Lang admitted that he was inferior to the Red Cherry and Green Willow duo, individually. He only won by luck. Martial arts-wise, either of the old swordsman would be superior to Xiao 11 Lang.
    In spite of Xiao 11 Lang's "admission", I don't feel that an individual swordsman would be superior to X11L. They are all pretty close, and from the actual events in the novel, I would even give Xiao a slight edge if I had to pick. I got the impression that he lasted longer in the inner power contest of being motionless (although barely), and he showed pretty good resilience during his fight with Count Carefree. Better than the old swordmen believed they might have done.

Xiao 11 Lang with the Deer Carver in hand, versus a single old swordsman... IMO, I'd place my bet on Xiao.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong
    In spite of Xiao 11 Lang's "admission", I don't feel that an individual swordsman would be superior to X11L. They are all pretty close, and from the actual events in the novel, I would even give Xiao a slight edge if I had to pick. I got the impression that he lasted longer in the inner power contest of being motionless (although barely), and he showed pretty good resilience during his fight with Count Carefree. Better than the old swordmen believed they might have done.

Xiao 11 Lang with the Deer Carver in hand, versus a single old swordsman... IMO, I'd place my bet on Xiao.
    I agree with you.

IIRC, the Twin Sword Old Man predicted that X11L would be lucky to last 30 stances. Instead, X11L actually lasted 200 stances.....
    1 on 1, I favor X11L, but 2 on 1, it's no match.

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    However, if we were to "intersect" the 2 worlds and use DGQB theory and 6MSJ level as the basis of sword, then what the Twin Sword Old Man achieved was less than DY.
    Sure, theoretically, the duo achieved a lower stage of martial arts than Dugu Qiubai/Duan Yu. However the more I read about theories, the more doubtful I become of their merit in predicting who would actually win in combat.

Consider this example from SPW chapter 27:

任我行全身为之冻僵。左冷禅乘着他“吸星大法”一窒的顷刻之间,内力一催,就势封住了他的穴道。穴道被封之举,原只见于第二三流武林人物动手之时,高手过招,决不使用这一类平庸招式

From this passage, it seems that only low level fighters in the SPW era would resort to Sealing Acupoints. So, anyone who uses Sealing Acupoints physically in a "normal" circumstance would be considered a low level fighter in SPW.

Well, sealing acupoints physically is exactly what Jiumozhi did to Murong Fu in DGSD. In theory, that would automatically put Jiumozhi 2 levels below Zuo Lengchan, which means Dongfang Bubai really is better than the Sweeper Monk.

Anyone care to share more info about Count Carefree? He sounds so interesting.

I think Xiaoyao Hou is vastly overrated. Sweeper Monk is much more educational.

(This probably furthered your interest in Xiaoyao "TURN THE UNIVERSE UPSIDE DOWN" Hou)

If Xiao Yao Hou can't survive falling off a cliff, he's not so tuff.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    If Xiao Yao Hou can't survive falling off a cliff, he's not so tuff.
    Well, maybe he is afraid of meeting "ghosts" down there when he heard his sister's name. So maybe Count Carefree was still in the state of shock.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I think Xiaoyao Hou is vastly overrated. Sweeper Monk is much more educational.

(This probably furthered your interest in Xiaoyao "TURN THE UNIVERSE UPSIDE DOWN" Hou)

I personally have read X11L, but I don't remember reading that XYH would "turn the universe upside down". Mind giving the quote to me or tell me where it is?