Thread: Where did this come from?

Default Where did this come from?

Where did the theory of kung fu in the JY novels gets weaker and less complex as the generations goes by.
    In some instances, I would agree but not all.

For example, I would agreed that ppl from DGSD has the best martial arts in the JY universe. But people in the Condor Trilogy compare to SOD, I tend to think they are roughly the same.
    JUST HERE TO ANNOY!!!!

They do seems to get weaker in the novel. Something you can't tell in adaptations. That does not guarentee that that no fighters in the later novels can be better than the previous ones, but generally, they seem to be declining. People in SOD do seem to have a lot less chi too me than in the condor trilogy.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Smile Re: Where did this come from?

Originally posted by JUST BOB
    Where did the theory of kung fu in the JY novels gets weaker and less complex as the generations goes by.
    In some instances, I would agree but not all.
    Same here.
    Otherwise, Tang's Li Jing's could just spit on Xiao Feng, paralizing him in an instance.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

nope, because the peak of martial arts in JY universe is in DGSD.

If you read the JY books, this type of conclusion is fairly easy to make. You just see it in the kung fu descriptions and various abilities of the top fighters. Of course, this does only apply to the eras when JY wrote his books(excluding Yueh Maiden Sword), and there are certainly exceptions, notably Shi Po Tian and Dong Fang Bu Bai. But generally, it is the case.

If you want to make a ranking of martial arts of his books, here would be my list.

1. DGSD(Northern Sung Dynasty) - By far the most powerful novel. Take out the god that is Sweeper monk and half its top fighters, and it would still probably rank #1.

2. ROCH(Southern Sung) - Mainly because basically all the top fighters in LOCH still remained alive(and improved), while Golden Wheel Monk, Yang Guo and Guo Jing reached top levels

3. LOCH(Southern Sung) -

4. HSDS(Late Yuan) - Only two fighters(Zhang WuJi and Zhang SanFeng) have reached or come close to the top fighters in ROCH. But ZSF is too old, and ZWJ isn't enough a fighter to go against ROCH people.

5. SOD(Sometime in Ming) - Dong Fang Bu Bai might be on par with the top DGSD guys, or he might not. But everyone else are definitely a notch below the top guys in HSDS.

6. Ode to Gallantry(Sometime in Ming) - It's possible that the fighters on Xia Ke Island are on par with the SOD fighters, but not to me. Shi Po Tian is awesome, though.

7. Sword Stained with Royal Blood(End of Ming) - Best collection of fighters in the late period. I can't remember most of their names. But the only fighter comparble to them in Duke of Mt. Deer(which came later), was One-armed Nun.

The rest are fairly bunched up together. They're all from the Qing dynasty and none of them match against the previous books.
    Last edited by Meh; 01-09-04 at 09:15 PM.

Originally posted by PJ
    nope, because the peak of martial arts in JY universe is in DGSD.
    Well, if we are to insist on this theory, then Yueh Maiden will be the almighty martial artist in JY's ( or should we took into account her teacher, the .... . ? ).

There's just not enough evidence to support any theory across the various books, IMHO, except for a few ones that share living characters.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

I think Laviathan created this theory.
    but he said that the general martial art skills of people in the wulin will decreases. while there will be exception of some people that will raise up to be in the lead of their own era like SPT, DFBB.

you forgot the girl in yellow from HSDS

The yeallow dress girl is too mysteries to rate.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Well, if we are to insist on this theory, then Yueh Maiden will be the almighty martial artist in JY's
    nope, because the peak of martial arts in JY universe is in DGSD

in other words, it was worse before DGSD, and it was worse after DGSD.

by the way, read this post by Laviathan if you haven't already (one of the contributors to the theory in question). I believe there are some justifications to the theory in there.

http://forums.cinple.net/wuxia/archi...cgi?read=24381