Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loch 83

i thought the ZBT in 03 was pretty good. i thought he was one of the better characters acted. Liked his hat. but i still like the 83 ZBT.
    How I feel about you doesn't matter. It's you who has to live with yourself.

Well, LOCH 83 was made in the golden 80's. I guess since it was the most noticeable series, it left an big impression on many ppl's minds. I personally like LOCH's 83 the best. What was wrong with the clothings? In LOCH 03, HR had house-wifes like dresses, along with a really low opened chest. QJ had a leather jacket?

well LOCH 83 was mad with a low budget, so sure it was hard to match the exquistite scenes of LOCH 03.

Barbara Yung made the best HR, i believe. ZR made a good impression, but she lacks the energectic,the charm,ferocity like barbara yung, ---again this is my opinion

and the clothing was really pretty in 83. HR had many nice outfits with diff colors, white, pink, blue, yellow, orange. etc.... and Yang Kang had very nice outfits too, with the fur, satins,. etc..
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Talking Loch 83

I have read the condor trilogy several time!!! Hung Qi Gong is My favourite character in LOCH
    I'v read some others opinion and added mine too.

I did enjoy LOCH 03 (beautiful scenary; very good MCF, MNC, 7 Freaks [specially 7th master-so kind and loving], 7 Quan Zhen taoist ) BUT the supporting cast weren't good. I still like 83 (the best with very good cast of Hung Qi Gong, Huang Yao Shi, Zhou Bo Tong, Yang Kang, Guo Jing and last but not least Huang Rong) and 94 version more !!!! And about barbara, I agree with Kara that although Barbara Yung’s HR isn't pretty (not the same as HR in the book) but her acting as HR is unique and charming (the same as the book described about HR character). I don’t know why, but every time I read the book about HR, I always remember Barbara’s HR (not Athena nor Zhou Xhun).
    Last edited by Raden Wijaya; 06-24-05 at 11:55 AM.
    When you feel like you're the POOREST man in the world ....
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

yup, GJ had a leather jacket. i thought some parts of it was too modern. (opinion) in some parts, if u just watched dat part randomly, u'd think it was some modern show. the outfits weren't so great as the ones in XAJH.
    How I feel about you doesn't matter. It's you who has to live with yourself.

Also, because loch83 is the longest adaptation of loch, more time is given to character development and so the characters of loch83 are more memorable. loch03 was amazingly close to the novel and to me the characters are not quite developed- they are more 2D then anything.

Me too. Everytime i read loch, i envision Barbara Yung rather than Athena Chu or Zhuo Xun despite seeing Athena Chu's HR first. But then again, i read it in vietnamese so it might not be quite the same.

yea, i was wonder why they can't make loch 03 longer. i felt it was too short. and the dresses, really bad! and yk's hair? !

but overall, i prefer the loch 03 cuz it sticks to the novel, which is important to me. i just with miu kiu wai can be 20 years younger and act as yk again in the 03 adaptino.

Default Re: loch 83

Originally posted by chardonnay
    i know that this is considered a classic/masterpiece/seriesstraightfromgodalmighty, but i really don't get what all the fuss is about. imo, the dialogue was corny and predictable, the plot didn't make sense in some places, (too rushed in the begining), scenery and costumes sucked (what's with huang rong's clothes? most of the stuff she wore was just the same white coverall thing with different colors of lacy material over it. most of the other characters were dressed like beggars!) the actors were ranged from nothing special to horrid (what's with this whole barbara yung thing? sure she was cute, and made her huang rong likeable, but seriously, not an oscar-worthy performance!), etc, etc. this may be because i don't understand cantonese, and had to watch the dubbed mandarin version; maybe that failed to capture the essence that everyone raves about. anyways, i thought the series was slightly above average, but nothing really wonderful. i'd give it a 3.1415926535897932/5.
    It's funny how taste can vary because I think that the costumes in the '80s were 100 times more beautiful than today's. To my eyes, the newer cotumes look like rags. In the old days, there were distinctive motives. Now, it's all layers of plain sheets. One thing I'll agree with you is the scenery. People have to be blind not to see the carton-made caves from the '80s. But that's one minor minus among the rest that was were top notch.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Originally posted by Kara
    Me too. Everytime i read loch, i envision Barbara Yung rather than Athena Chu or Zhuo Xun despite seeing Athena Chu's HR first. But then again, i read it in vietnamese so it might not be quite the same.
    Reading in Vietnamese should not make much of a difference. We have after all more than a 1000 Sino-Vietnamese words in our vocabulary. If the translator is good, then you should have all the proper descriptions. It's not the words that we are missing, that's for sure.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

What i actually mean is the connotations of the words that are being translated. For example, the chinese word for spoilt might be translated into the vietnamese word for bratty- which makes HR seem more like Barbara's portrayal than Athena's

i agree!

Default Re: Re: loch 83

Originally posted by Canuck21
    It's funny how taste can vary because I think that the costumes in the '80s were 100 times more beautiful than today's. To my eyes, the newer cotumes look like rags. In the old days, there were distinctive motives. Now, it's all layers of plain sheets. One thing I'll agree with you is the scenery. People have to be blind not to see the carton-made caves from the '80s. But that's one minor minus among the rest that was were top notch.
    I ask myself why costume aren't as beautiful back then, but it is really accurate, yah? Back then when u are in the pugilistic world, how can u wear satin and elegant laces like that? Would u get dirty or anything?

I agree on how Loch 82 was longer, but i don't think it dragged. In fact it helped. The o3 version didn't allow YK to fully develop his incentive or character development or any love between QJ and WY. I felt it was too rush at times. I am rewatcing LOCH 03 and i still think Barabara made a better WY. Zhou Yu's portrayal was cute, but she seems to serious at times. I realy like how the old version made WY and really playful and kudos on the jealousy scenes
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Originally posted by Meh
    That's because LOCH83's HR departed so far off Jin Yong's book version that she was unique by default. LOCH94/03 both kept JY's version of HR, so they can't be unique.

Personally, I find Barbara's HR(not Barbara's acting, which I thought was great) pretty annoying. But my mom love her to death. So it's just a preference thing.
    I agree with you. All my cousins LLLOOOVVVEEDD Barbara's HR, but her image of HR really faded away after I read LOCH.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

This series was my childhood memory and one of my sweetest dreams. However, after I watched it again 10+ years later, I found it quite annoying.

i like barbara yung`s HR, because i mean she was SUPPPPERRR--cuutee and i dont know. maybe i'm biased. . but i liked her version, because i mean watching it. her image just gets stucked on you & you cant really shake it loose. she may not be the best HR but certainly most KNOWNED.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

1. on the costumes -- in the 80's adaptations, it was different colored layers on "the same white thing" underneath because that "white thing" was like the undergarment (ya know, the stuff the wear when they go to bed). It was like that not only for HR but for GJ, YK, H7G also. I didn't think the HR's costumes were bad. They were knee-high which is suitable for fighting (unlike the longer ones nowadays). They also felt light and airy because the material was sheer and silky. The style is definately not accurate historically, but it really did define wuxia culture. That is why many of the wuxia series today fail to create that same ancient atmosphere.

2. on Barbara's portrayal of HR -- I also watched the 94 version first so it's not the 1st vs 2nd kinda thing. And I read the book before viewing both of these. The 83 script went beyond what happened in the actual novel so Barbara's HR undoubtedly did things that weren't done by the novel's HR. Yet those were things that the book's HR might have done herself. I thought those actions were not out of character. Like when she scared the people in the temple away by pretending to be contagious just so she and GJ can have the temple to themselves, she really showed her playful yet selfish personality. Because HR is HYS's daughter, she carries her father's strange character. She is not evil, but she isn't nice either.
    What more important about Barbara's portrayal that outdid the other actresses is her undeniable chemistry with her costars. The father-daughter relationship with Kenneth, the teacher-student relationship with Lau Dan, and the lovers relationship with GJ were all believable. Even her interactions with ZBT, OYF, and various others (and interactions between these characters) made the story wholesome and complete. I didn't feel any disconnection.

3. cheap set - man, none of this felt cheap back then when I was 8 material things like these should be improving over time with better filming equipments, budget for travel, sets etc. There's no use in comparing them by saying "the new ones are awesome, the old ones look pathetic." It's just really unfair to the old ones.

5. fighting scenes - I still prefer the fighting back then. They fly a heck lot better now but the choreography for hand-to-hand combat is not as good. I still remember so clearly the fight-scene btw MNC and YK and how he got her shoes. It was pretty with none of that *slow motion* *staring into each other's eyes* *guy catching girl in mid-air* crap. I feel cheated when they try to make the fighting pretty by introducing 80% camera effects, 20% fight. The only new adaptation that I was happy with the fighting was Book & Sword 02 but that was because ZWZ's wushu is awesome.

6. overall - nothing is w/o flaws. and nothing can satisfy everyone. i can't understand all the fuss about the 03 adaptation either. to each his own preference i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hinako442003

2. on Barbara's portrayal of HR -- What more important about Barbara's portrayal that outdid the other actresses is her undeniable chemistry with her costars. The father-daughter relationship with Kenneth, the teacher-student relationship with Lau Dan, and the lovers relationship with GJ were all believable. Even her interactions with ZBT, OYF, and various others (and interactions between these characters) made the story wholesome and complete. I didn't feel any disconnection.
    Totally agree with you on Barbara's chemistry with her costars. It feels so real.

I love the older LOCH, mainly because of the great casting of the leading characters (Felix and Barbara) as well as the most of the supporting roles. It's just difficult to imagine Wong Yung or Kwok Ching as other people when Felix and Barbara have done such a good job. There's also Chun Wong, he's simply Chow Bot Tong

But I prefer LOCH '94 casting in Auyeung Hak and feel that the '94 version of Southern Emperor was quite decent. Princess Wah Tsang in the '94 is also more likeable, I was actually quite turned off when I watched the older version, she seemed to do nothing except weeping.

The setting, props, technology and cinematography should improve with time so no surprise there if the newer LOCH appears better in these areas.

i havent read the book, but this LOCH stuck to my mind the most. im not sure why?

i think it was because of barbara's potrayal of Huang Dung, or Yeung Kang by Michael. Felix was kind of blah-- but the other characters likes the actor who played Au Yeung Kat, he was really good & East Heretic....

when i watch series & i see their faces, i think back to LOCH.

like when i watched The Golden Warrior & princess, the king was played by the same guy who played East Heretic [i forgot his name, but know his face] i was like "ITS HIIM!!!" even though he was real old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    The 80s were amazing for Jin Yong fans, we had
    DGSD
    LOCH
    ROCH
    XAJH (Chow Yun Fat)
    Duke of Mount Deer (the only one which is still absolutely excellent and classic even by today's standards, and beats all competitors hands down, imho)
    Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain (another 'best version', but mainly due to lack of decent competition)
    HSDS (Tony Leung's excellent version)
    Crimson Sabre
    Linked City
    Book & Sword
    Xiakexing

Crimson Sabre and Linked City were a bit slow, while Xiakexing was completely and crappily rewritten. Book and Sword was nice, but let down by some very poor casting for the major characters. All of the others were pretty good in many ways, and virtually all of them had decent (some excellent) soundtracks. The 80s were a legendary decade for wuxia, and it takes a LOT before most of us will acknowledge that a newer version of a series was 'better than the 80s'. The 80s were what made many of us as wuxia fans, and we will always remember them fondly.

Ian
    I agreed w/ ya, Ian Liew. The 'Golden 80s TVB' were amazing for all Jin Yong's novel adaptions.

maybe because it's the one of the first ones made, so many people who watch it... think it's really good. but if you were to watch the newer ones first and you go back and watch the one made in the 80's you'd be biased too.

like i watched hsds o3` before i saw the one with tony leung, i was kind of biased when watching tony leung's one... but it all worked out good (: lol i like both.