Thread: General Father, General Son

Default General Father, General Son

I totally agree that Chan Mun Yee stole the show!!

One of the best performances by a female in an ancient costume series.

Yes, I agree with you. It's good to see the review of this series. I have watched it for a long time and admittedly I almost forgot the story. The review brought it back to my mind.

It indeed was a great performance by Chan Mun Yee, and though I still remember about the overall story, this review really refresh my memory on the details and made me more eager to watch the new version.
    When I wake up in the morning I always remind myself to 'Seize the Day.'

Will they produce the new version? Who is supposed to replace the excellent performance of Felix Wong? Will they produce all of the Trilogy (The Great General who never was, General Father, General Son and Sit Kong).?

TVB finished filming the new version for 'General Father, General Son' already and it's gonna air soon this February, it's called Fan Lei Fa starring Jessica Hester Hsuan and Joe Ma in Felix's role.
    When I wake up in the morning I always remind myself to 'Seize the Day.'

I've seen the trailer for the new version, looks kinda cheap like the rest of TVB's recent wuxia stuff - I would much rather they re-release this original General Father, General Son - yes, nice that SPC reviewed this - any chance of a General Who Never Was review? I think that is even better than the 2nd part - and dont bother with Sit Kong

Thanks for leaving feedback on the review.

As to a review for the Legend of the General Who Never Was, I may need to re-watch it just to refresh my memory when I have some free time (which may be never ).

I think the new Fan Lei Fa is not as good as the old one after watching a few episodes. Actually, it got a little sour for me when it got to the point about how if Fan Lei Fa and both Sit Ding San both wear this magic ring and hold hands, the war would be stopped...
    -SC

Has the 3rd part been released on VCD yet?

I've recently seen the third part of the trilogy, Sit Kong Fan Tong. It's not as good as the second part, with Felix Wong and Chan Man Yee. Sean Lau Ching Wan was a bit wooden in Sit Kong. I assume he was a new actor back when he filmed the third part. He actually had no facial expression in the series. Eddie Kwan Lai Kit looked young and handsome. But the one who impressed me the most was Maggie Siu Mei Kei. She looked incredibly beautiful and young in her furry costumes!

Spoilers
    The first part of the plot mainly concentrated on how Sit Kong (Sean Lau) was possessed by the evil spirit of Yeung Fan (the evil guy in the second part of the trilogy). And the second half of the series focused on Sit Kong helping the crown prince (Eddie Kwan) ascend to the throne. There wasn't much emphasis on the love story between Sit Kong and his love interest (Law Mei Kuen). I couldn't quite see them in love, because the romantic scenes between them were largely overshadowed by talks of politics and how to help the prince become emperor... Maggie's character was pitiful. I was sympathetic to her blind devotion to Sit Kong, even though he didn't love her. It's sad to love someone and yet know he doesn't love you in return. Law Mei Kuen's character was way too generous and, in some ways, unrealistic. I couldn't quite understand how she could give up the man she loved to another woman, even if it was for the greater good of the country. Call me a jealous woman, but I really couldn't imagine myself giving up my man to another woman for the greater good.

But overall, the series was pretty good...at least better than some of the more recent tvb series. I liked the fighting scenes, also, where I could actually see people engaging in hand to hand combat, rather than see the swinging of the camera and excessive annoying CG effects. The theme song was very good. It had a very "ancient period" feel to it. The costumes were beautiful, especially Maggie's wardrobe, although she only appeared in about 5 episodes out of the 22.

Thanks for that recap Melanie. I may catch it if ever comes out now.
    -SC

General Father, General Son was definitely a great series but then, lots of 80s tvb series are all great. However, I felt that this one in particular was somewhat underrated.

I'd recently re-watched it on VCD and boy was I in major disappointment. I was worn to stay away from TVB vcds and I regret not taking the advice. Anyways I'm looking to buy the original uncut version if anyone is welling to sell. It's ok if its VHS format, but it'd be great if its on DVDs. Anyhow, either format is fine but I'm very willing to pay for it. Please respond or PM if you are willing to sell. Many thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I've recently seen the third part of the trilogy, Sit Kong Fan Tong. It's not as good as the second part, with Felix Wong and Chan Man Yee. Sean Lau Ching Wan was a bit wooden in Sit Kong. I assume he was a new actor back when he filmed the third part. He actually had no facial expression in the series. Eddie Kwan Lai Kit looked young and handsome. But the one who impressed me the most was Maggie Siu Mei Kei. She looked incredibly beautiful and young in her furry costumes!

Spoilers
    The first part of the plot mainly concentrated on how Sit Kong (Sean Lau) was possessed by the evil spirit of Yeung Fan (the evil guy in the second part of the trilogy). And the second half of the series focused on Sit Kong helping the crown prince (Eddie Kwan) ascend to the throne. There wasn't much emphasis on the love story between Sit Kong and his love interest (Law Mei Kuen). I couldn't quite see them in love, because the romantic scenes between them were largely overshadowed by talks of politics and how to help the prince become emperor... Maggie's character was pitiful. I was sympathetic to her blind devotion to Sit Kong, even though he didn't love her. It's sad to love someone and yet know he doesn't love you in return. Law Mei Kuen's character was way too generous and, in some ways, unrealistic. I couldn't quite understand how she could give up the man she loved to another woman, even if it was for the greater good of the country. Call me a jealous woman, but I really couldn't imagine myself giving up my man to another woman for the greater good.

But overall, the series was pretty good...at least better than some of the more recent tvb series. I liked the fighting scenes, also, where I could actually see people engaging in hand to hand combat, rather than see the swinging of the camera and excessive annoying CG effects. The theme song was very good. It had a very "ancient period" feel to it. The costumes were beautiful, especially Maggie's wardrobe, although she only appeared in about 5 episodes out of the 22.
    Thanks for the summary, I didn't know they made another part after General Father, General son.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Thanks for the summary, I didn't know they made another part after General Father, General son.
    No problem, Nan Ling. I think Sit Kong Fan Tong (the 3rd part) was neglected since the main leads were less well known at that time. However, out of all three parts, I liked the theme song from part 3 the most. Roman Tam sang the song, and I wish I could find it.

It sounds interesting, will definitely try to find this series. I was a big fan of Maggie when I was a kid after watching blood of good and evil =)