Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GJ Pardoning OYF 3 times...

Default GJ Pardoning OYF 3 times...

In the reality, GJ (with help from HR) only pardoned OYF twice, didn't he? Because the third time when OYF was trapped on the top of the mountain GJ did not really pardon him. OYF escaped by himself. Am I right?
    Guo Jing > Yang Guo. Book it, you morons!

I think they GJ wanted to pardon him, and kill the weak OYF at the same time. But he jumped off.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

That means in a way GJ still owed OYF one pardon, right?

Well, I think they sort of consider the bet to be over after that.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Maybe the very fact that Gwok Jing never sought to kill him again after that could act as a pardon. Gwok Jing owed him for the lives of his five teachers. That Gwok Jing didn't kill him even into the time of ROCH might be construed as the final pardon.

I take it that none of you is a novel reader ?

The third time was when GJ rushed outside of the Mongolian camp to find HR, who left because she heard GJ's conversation with HJ and thought that he didn't cancel the marriage. GJ followed her trace to sandy area, saw OYF near a patch of quick sand, trying to pull something out of it, with one hand clinging to a nearby tree. OYF said that it was HR drowning there (she actually tricked OYF into thinking that was the case). Then a bunch of things happened, OYF was chasing GJ and fell into another patch of quick sand and was drowning. GJ came back and saved him, only to have his accupoints sealed by OYF then was forced to teach him 9 Yin. This was followed up by the fight between OYF, GJ, ZBT and QQR in a dark house.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Not only not a novel reader, but not a watcher of TV series either. This was actually shown in LOCH 2003

Yes you're right Candide, the third time GJ Pardoning OYF was when OYF fell into another patch of quick sand and was drowning.
    What I don't realy understand is why OYF can't escape himself from quick sand while he can jump from the top of the mountain (isn'nt the last one is more difficult)?
    When you feel like you're the POOREST man in the world ....
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

He jumped off the mountain with his clothes as a parachute. Getting out of a patch of quick sand is much harder, he had nothing to grab or to stand on to jump out. He also had no previous experience with quick sand, I guess.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Then I guess OYF is much superior than people (Emei's Mie Jue,Shaolin Elder,Wudang and others) in HSDS who had to be saved by ZWJ, consider it's much easier to jump from top building than from top of mountain.
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

Originally posted by Raden Wijaya
    Then I guess OYF is much superior than people (Emei's Mie Jue,Shaolin Elder,Wudang and others) in HSDS who had to be saved by ZWJ, consider it's much easier to jump from top building than from top of mountain.
    How can people can jump to such conclusion....

Would you rather jump off the top of a mountain with a parachute or the top of a 10-storey building without a parachute ? Actually, you can't even use a parachute jumping off a 10-storey building since the distance is not big enough and the wind isn't strong enough.

OYF is superior to most HSDS people no question asked, but this isn't why he's superior to them.

Originally posted by Raden Wijaya
    This one is relatively easy to resolve: no traction.

The thing about quicksand is that it has many of the properties of water, except it's *much* more dense and heavier. It doesn't matter how much force you push down with because what you're pushing down on is so unsubstantial it won't provide you with any counter-force force for lift (actually, it's not impossible, but the force necessary to push your way out of quicksand far exceeds the power of what even wuxia hing gung can achieve . . . you basically need rocket power to get out of quicksand).

* Self-defence mode started *

First of all, LOCH2003 is still ongoing here in Indonesia, and it still hasn't reached the part that Candide describe. Second of all, I am a novel reader, but as I pointed out in the other thread, I read the 1st/unrevised version of the novels, translated into Indonesian, and it was like more of a decade ago. Either that scene didn't get translated into Indonesian, or it was not in the 1st version of the novel, or my memory failed me (which is more likely, since I do admit I often forget things ), therefore I started this thread to clarify.

* End of self-defence mode *

Thanks for the clarification, guys
    So, GJ really pardoned OYF 3 times.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    This one is relatively easy to resolve: no traction.

The thing about quicksand is that it has many of the properties of water, except it's *much* more dense and heavier. It doesn't matter how much force you push down with because what you're pushing down on is so unsubstantial it won't provide you with any counter-force force for lift (actually, it's not impossible, but the force necessary to push your way out of quicksand far exceeds the power of what even wuxia hing gung can achieve . . . you basically need rocket power to get out of quicksand).

It really comes down to experience. If OYF had experience and knowledge about quicksand, he'd then know that you can float in quicksand and that if you stop struggling you can get out.

Where did OYF come from again? White Camel Mountain or something? OYK came with the girls in white riding camels, so I assume that White Camel Mountain has a barren region/desert. Quicksand should be quite numerous in a desert, shouldn't it? If so, OYF should rather be familiar with quicksand. Any explanation?

I guess each time people pull him out when he fall into one.

Would you rather jump off the top of a mountain with a parachute or the top of a 10-storey building without a parachute ? Actually, you can't even use a parachute jumping off a 10-storey building since the distance is not big enough and the wind isn't strong enough.
    Well, I thought that most wuxia top fighter (icluding OYF) can jump from a 10-storey building without a parachute with their lighting kungfu.
    I remembered reading in some wuxia comics that many wuxia heroes could do that thing (usually from top of the hilly cliff).

Quicksand isn't common in deserts since water isn't common in deserts. Quicksand is a suspension of sand in water. Unless you can find a desert where pools of water are common, quicksand won't.

I always thought quicksands are common in the deserts. Must be the influence of some fantasy comics where quicksands are common in the deserts

Last night on television the scene that Candide described in LOCH2003 was finally shown. I have a question about the scene following that one, in which ZBT seemed to be able to toy QQR around. I think in the novel QQR's level was not that far below the Greats and he should be able to put up some resistance against ZBT. But last night the scene showed that QQR sucked big times against ZBT. This is not very accurate to the novel, right?