Thread: Gu Long timeline inconsistency?

Default Gu Long timeline inconsistency? Bian Cheng Lang Zi & September Eagle

In September Condor, Ye Kai mentions his friend Fu Hong Xue from the past, and I got the impression FHX has moved on for quite some time (a few years at least) before this story, so that would mean Bian Cheng Lang Zi happened several years before September Condor/Eagle. However, doesn't it also say that YK had JUST become famous? I would think Ye Kai already made a name during Bian Cheng Lang Zi, so - some inconsistency there or am I missing something?

Eagles Flying in September only happened about a year after BorderTown Wanderer.

how do you know?

I believe it was implied in the novel.

It's been a while since I read it so I don't have a reference off the top of my head. I used to construct timelines of GL novels but unfortunately I only jotted down the conclusions, not the references. Maybe it was deduced through some mention of past events from Bordertown Wanderer, peoples' ages, or whatever.

Besides, I think Yip Hoi's level of fame was pretty appropriate for that time (some people were familiar w. him, some were not.) After all, "Just starting out" could easily mean someone who appeared on the scene within the last few years, not just last week. So I really don't see any discrepancies.

Well, IIRC "September Eagle" said something to the effects of last month, NOBODY had heard of Ye Kai. Yet a month later, everyone is petrified of this name. I have to double check what it says exactly.

I don't know what level of fame you're expecting for Yip Hoi, but as far as I recall it seemed appropriate for the amount of time he's been adventuring plus his background. It's not as if he boasted to everyone he saw about being Dagger Lee's student in Bordertown. I think he kept a pretty modest profile. And I don't think he did anything earth-shattering where the news would spread all across the martial world in a few short years. I think only a select number of people knew about him in September and that seems to make sense.

also he kept several names when he did something in public. If you read Eagle Flying ... he was first introduced as .... I forget the name,... but later in the story he mentioned that he was also famous for several other names ....Yip Hoi is only one of them.

his other name is Ding Ling. But for what we (I :P) know, he DID use the name Ye Kai in Bian Cheng. And I thought that story was a pretty big deal so a lot of ppl would have heard of him...