Thread: Xia Ke Xing

Default Xia Ke Xing

What's the English and Cantonese name for this novel?

and what does the title mean?

The name "Xia Ke Xing" itself comes from one of Li Bai's poems by the same title. Literally translated, it basically means "A Hero's Path".

The first part of Li Bai's poem is quite good. Then, it gets into terms that I can't quite understand Bloody confusing ancient Chinese references to people and events of the past

English name for the novel: Ode to Gallantry
    Guo Jing > Yang Guo. Book it, you morons!

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Default Re: Xia Ke Xing

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    What's the English and Cantonese name for this novel?

and what does the title mean?

Hap Hak Hang (Cantonese)

It is one of 14 Jin Yong short novels: Xia Ke Xing (Ode to Gallantry). Ian Liew tried to translate this novel at spcnet (into English) but after six months he hasn't finished chapter one :-(

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/forumdis...?s=&forumid=29

http://www.geocities.com/jinyongnove...hchapter1.html

Somebody else (nicknamed 'no one') is also trying to translate that novel here (with Cantonese names). But he also stopped at the beginning of chapter one. I noticed a curious 'error' in this translation, contrary what Ian translated in spcnet, here the dead person in chapter one was a woman.

The story isn't terribly interesting - unless you really want to see a kid who has the ultimate internal energy but doesn't understand techniques repeatedly embarrass himself in combat. The first and last few chapters are decent, and the middle can be a big drag.

I actually kind of like XKX. Not the adaptations, since I have not seen one at all, but the novel. If you ask me now, I already forget all the details since I read it like a decade ago, but I have this impression that I enjoyed reading it back then. I do not know, though, whether I will still enjoy it if I am to read it again now. I sure do hope so, though
    Guo Jing > Yang Guo. Book it, you morons!

What exactly is the intelligence level of Shi PoTian? Some people say he's dumb but others say he's pretty intelligent.

he could be like einstein...got a big brain, but retarded in other ways

lava said that he just wasn't culturally educated in the way how people think and acted. therefor he doesn't know why people act in a certain way and doesn't know how to response. It is like entering a new and different civilization.

Just like when the European come to American and meet the Indian, they each consider each other dumb.

Why didn't the 2 Island lords tell the sect leaders the truth straight away when they offer them the porridge? Why must they forced the leaders to drink the porridge in the believe that thay were poisonous?

BTW, It's really unbelieveable that for 40 years not even 1 person wants to leave the Xia Ke Island.

Default Re: Re: Xia Ke Xing

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win

Hap Hak Hang (Cantonese)

It is one of 14 Jin Yong short novels: Xia Ke Xing (Ode to Gallantry). Ian Liew tried to translate this novel at spcnet (into English) but after six months he hasn't finished chapter one :-(

I know... =(

Good news, though.. I just finished Chapter One... only 20 more to go...

Originally posted by kidd
    BTW, It's really unbelieveable that for 40 years not even 1 person wants to leave the Xia Ke Island.
    True, that part is probably the weak part of the story. At least someone should send a letter or a message to his/her family/friends/students/teachers at home so that they will not be worry.

they seemed to be so obssessed with figuring out the poems that they barely thought about anything else. When Shi Po Tian tried to tell his grandfather in law [soon to be] to leave, the guy repeated screamed at him and even attacked him.

Originally posted by TaiHan
    lava said that he just wasn't culturally educated in the way how people think and acted. therefor he doesn't know why people act in a certain way and doesn't know how to response. It is like entering a new and different civilization.

Just like when the European come to American and meet the Indian, they each consider each other dumb.
    Like Xiao Long Nuu only less hot?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Yes, in that aspect (ignorant of the ways of the outside world), he is similar to Xiao Long Nu. But his personality is very different from XLN. XLN is cold and aloof and only cares for a few people but SPT is very friendly and cares for everyone, even strangers (which includes people who want to kill him).

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor View Post
    Like Xiao Long Nuu only less hot?
    So is it through that SPT also can do the left and right hand technique where he create a new martial-art by using both Golden Phoenix saber (73 moves) on one hand and Snow Mountain Sect's sword art (72 moves) on another hand?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    So is it through that SPT also can do the left and right hand technique where he create a new martial-art by using both Golden Phoenix saber (73 moves) on one hand and Snow Mountain Sect's sword art (72 moves) on another hand?
    Nice thread revive.