Thread: Other Stories of Flying Fox

Default Other Stories of Flying Fox

What's this about? Can anybody tell me. I haven't seen any adaptation of FF so I don't know.

Mostly about revenge, and the adventure of Wu Fei from zero to become The Flying Fox plus the story of the descendants of the guardians of the last Ming emperor,
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

I have very less knowledge in this novel too. Anyone knows who's the best fighter that appeared in the novel?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

I think Miao Ren Feng and Wu Yat Do were the best martial artist in this novel ( they were tied), followed by Wu Fei.

Actually, if you count the Red Flower Society cameo, Miao Ren Feng was not the best martial artist. That one-armed swordman... I forget his name, Priest Wu, I think if I am not mistaken, who is the second command in the Red Flower Society may be even better than him in the swordsmanship. Chen Jialuo, as much as hated by anybody , may also be better than Miao Ren Feng.
    Guo Jing > Yang Guo. Book it, you morons!

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

This story about Wu Fei from zero to a hero, did JY wrote a book based on this or is it fan fiction? All I know is that it was a call flying fox and snowy mountain, which is a JY book right, on tvb.

Miao Ren Feng was said to be the world's best right? So he's a fake?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Actually I just copied the analysis from Athena's opinion, so all credits should go to her Too bad the thread is lost already, but anyway Athena made this analysis that if you calculate the years between the Book & Sword and the Flying Fox, you can see that when Miao Ren Feng boasted he was number one, the Red Flower Society heroes were around. In fact Priest Wu (if indeed that is his name, because I still cannot remember ) was about to ask him for a duel in swordsmanship, but when he heard that Miao Ren Feng praised Wu Yat Do, he changed his mind and wanted to duel with Wu Yat Do instead. Too bad he and his fellow Red Flower Society heroes were too busy with the overthrowing-the-Manchu plan and so the duel never happened. So, yes, in a way Miao Ren Feng was not really the best martial artists, he just called himself to be number one to get Wu Yat Do's attention for a duel.
    Last edited by rabadi; 02-04-04 at 10:16 PM.

I dont really know about another flying fox sequel with Wu Fei met Red Flower Society. So, how old was Chen Jia Luo roughly in this sequel ? was he from the same generation as Miao Ren Feng or older/younger ?

Roughly should be in the same generation, because in Flying Fox Chen Jialuo was a middle-age man.

How about Wu Fei's martial art compared to Chen Jia Luo ?

Debatable, but I'd say the favor is in Chen Jialuo's side.

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Originally posted by ToOn99
    I dont really know about another flying fox sequel with Wu Fei met Red Flower Society. So, how old was Chen Jia Luo roughly in this sequel ? was he from the same generation as Miao Ren Feng or older/younger ?

I've always wondered about the fact that so many people are so long at this forum but don't even know the list of JY's works. I believe they are purely 'JY adaptations' lovers and have never read the JY's books themselves.

Edited from:

http://sg.geocities.com/ck_ares/book...ng/jinyong.htm

Both books have been published in English.

Xue Shan Fei Hu (1 book) - Fox Volant of snowy mountain - serialized in the Hongkong newspaper Xin wan bao (1959-60)

This is a rather short story from Jin Yong, but exciting nonetheless. The story is about Hu Fei and his search of the murderers of his parents. However, it seems that the purpose of Hu Fei is to actually bring out the story of his parents, especially the complicated friend/enemy relationship between his father, Hu Yi Dao and Miao Ren Feng. The story is 80% the recall of events that eventually lead to the death of Hu Yi Dao and his wife. Jin Yong leaves the ending for the readers to conclude.

Fei Hu Wai Zhuan (2 books) - Other stories of Flying Fox - serialized in the Hongkong magazine Wu xia yu li shi (1960-61)

This is actually a spin-off story of Xue Shan Fei Hu which took place between Hu Yi Dao's death and the adulthood of Hu Fei. It first revolves around the childhood of Hu Fei and goes into Hu Fei's heroic acts when he was a teenager. It also gets him involved in a love triangle and shows the process of acquiring his martial arts. From the events that took place, we can deduce this took place about a few years after the events in Shu Jian En Chou Lu, as he gets to know the characters from Shu Jian En Chou Lu, who are by then much older.

The only missing short story of JY on that site is 'The Yueh Maiden' but that story should be in another 'category' of JY works. Originally JY wanted to write 32 short stories but succeeded to wrote only one (Source: Laviathan)

Are u sure that the Other Stories of Flying Fox has been published in English. I can't find it.

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

me too. why do people only translate some of JY's books but not others and forcing me to read it in chinese