Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the best internal energy

A fight between A and B.

A: uses 'formless' KungFu, he shows an (infinite) variety of stances/variants/forms of ideas/motifs.

B: cannot see a (fixed) pattern of all those forms, he cannot classify it to a certain type of KungFu. From his viewpoint it is a formless/typeless KungFu.
    that's not ultimately true. remember, the person who named the kungfu as formless is JY himself; he is the storyteller, and therefore CAN recognize any kungfu in the book. (why? cuz he made them all up.) now, if JY calls a kungfu formless, then that must mean that it is formless relative to ALL the kungfu existing at the time; not simply because someone doesn't recognize it.

the way you defined formlessness should give you a clue: "infinite stances/variations". in fact, this IS the essence of formlessness.

forms, or stances, were created by martial arts masters NOT because they needed them, but only in order to pass down the information to a learner. i mean, DGQB didn't sit down and go "okay, i'm going to need 9 codex for DG9J. lemme write them out and study them, and then i will know this kungfu." rather, DGQB noticed that he could break all weapons/palms/chi, and set out to figure out how to express that into words, thereby creating the sutra for DG9J. it's the same for ALL martial arts masters; they get a breakthrough in kungfu, and THEN make it into forms so that their students/the reader can understand what's happening. the reason why LHC strikes out with a "sword-breaking stance" of DG9J or YG does a "dead man walking" sadpalm is so that that WE AS READERS know what they're doing. to them, they're just following the essence of the kungfu that they've learnt. they're not thinking "okay, so this is when i'm supposed to use so-and-so kungfu".

therefore, to use formlessness is to rely on your own ingenuity, rather than following steps left behind by an old master. this was the main difference between yue buqun and LHC.
    Last edited by sixdays; 02-10-04 at 06:28 PM.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Originally posted by sixdays
    that's not ultimately true. remember, the person who named the kungfu as formless is JY himself; he is the storyteller, and therefore CAN recognize any kungfu in the book. (why? cuz he made them all up.) now, if JY calls a kungfu formless, then that must mean that it is formless relative to ALL the kungfu existing at the time; not simply because someone doesn't recognize it.

Perhaps you (and all of us) should ponder about what JY (in real life) said (about writing a book):

..... del .....

Louis Cha, whose texts are deemed the classics of traditional wuxia writing, has a theory about fabrication: "To make a lie credible you'd better tell 10 true things with it." In his most acclaimed novel, "Duke of Mount Deer (Ludingji)," the half-villain, half-hero young protagonist Wei Xiaobao often manages to get along by using this strategy.

The theory works as well when applied to Louis Cha's writing. In his books, the stories are always set in contexts full of rich and faithful historical details; the rationales and terminologies of martial arts are elaborately related. As a result, he somehow achieves a sense of verisimilitude for the utopia of his martial arts heroes.

.... del .....

http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc...ent_291403.htm

that's a cool quote. i don't see how it applies to what i said tho...it sort of supports it, in my opinion.

One can make a decent argument that 8H6HWWDZG is the best neigong skill because it's the best skill in turning back father time. All neigong skills, I think, help you slow down aging and if sufficiently at high level, even reverse it. People with high neigong look much younger than their age.

Well, no skill does better job at looking young than 8H6H...

Of course, you can argue it isn't so simple and I ain't gonna object, but since the botox treatment is about as far as JY wants us to know about the mysterious skill called the pinnacle of Taoist neigong cultivation, it's something to think about. At least.

Bei Ming Shen Gong is my favourite. Apart from what everyone else has mentioned, it can also switch from pure Yin to pure Yang in a flash. Which makes it superior to many other Yin or Yang only, or even neutral neigongs. Imagine a pure Yang, hard, destructing and burning Dragon Palm followed by a pure Yin, cold and poisonous Dragon Palm !

Btw, this display of both Yin and Yang BMSG is in DGSD chapter 42 as Xu Zhu fought DCQ on Shaolin.

When people try to switch between Yin and Yang in later generations, they either just can't do it or end up dead.

Inner energy arts such as YJJ of DGSD rank near the bottom in my list since if it's so hard to learn the bloody thing (ie you have to be half crazy half stupid) why bother...
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

why bother? because i'd be so incredibly powerful when i'm done, i wouldn't care how crazy i was. (btw, that sounds kind of like OYF's mindset...) the fact remains, though, that BMSG is not an internal energy CULTIVATING technique, per se. if you trained with bei ming alone for a year without sucking anybody's internal energy, you wouldn't be any farther than you started.

on a different note, i thought XZ had bei ming CHI, not the shen gong. there's a difference there, i just cant fully explain it as i haven't really read the novel in depth yet...

I personally think that the 渾天寶鑑 in the Hk comic 天子創奇 series is very powerful, it can control the naturally elements.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^