Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zhang Ziyi Ranked #2 On Forbes China Celebrity List

Default Zhang Ziyi Ranked #2 On Forbes China Celebrity List

From the February 2004 Issue of Forbes China (original article -- Chinese/English)....

Zhang Ziyi ranked #2 on the first ever Forbes China Celebrity List, released today by Forbes China, the Chinese-language edition of Forbes magazine. Chinese sports hero and Houston Rockets star Yao Ming, who regularly towers over NBA competitors on the basketball court, ranked #1.

The list surveyed the income and popularity of leaders in film, sports, media, music and publishing. Listees were born and raised in mainland China; celebrities from Hong Kong and Taiwan weren't included. The China list is modeled on Forbes' annual Celebrity 100 list.

Yao led the way as the #1 Chinese celebrity with the second-highest 2003 income, following Hollywood star Jet Li who ranked #1 in income. Though income was the biggest single factor in compiling the list of 100 mainland Chinese celebrities -- which tracks the actual transfer of fame into fortune over the past year -- media coverage and Web hits within China also figured prominently, leading Zhang Ziyi to rank #2 overall.

Forbes China Top 10 of 100 Mainland Chinese Celebrities:

Name / Profession / Pre-tax income in 2003 (US$ Million)

1. Yao Ming / basketball player / 14.49
    2. Zhang Ziyi / film actress / 3.14
    3. Zhao Wei / TV/film actress/singer / 2.29
    4. Faye Wong / singer/actress / 3.38
    5. Gong Li / film actress / 3.38
    6. Zhang Yimou / film director / 2.17
    7. Zhou Xun / actress/singer / 1.45
    8. Leon Lai / singer/actor / 7.97
    9. Sun Nan / singer / 2.90
    10. Jet Li / actor / 16.91
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Unhappy

Wow, when can I get even close to that much money?

Geez, Jet Li is only #10 and is beaten by Zhou Xun. Who's Sun Nan?

*grins* Vicki ranked third! *cheers*

Sun Nan is a singer that just became popular recently. He's in high demand right now, but I really really don't like him. First off, his voice is nasally and high, and he dresses with a feminine touch. And his songs aren't worth listening to.

However, that's just my personal opinion; don't let it discourage you from listening to him yourself.

Blah, can't believe ZZY ranked so high. *grumbles* Sorry fans, I don't like her a bit.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

In Alec's Heart 0=) Title: Alec's #1 Fan!

Originally posted by CrazyLilAngel

Blah, can't believe ZZY ranked so high. *grumbles* Sorry fans, I don't like her a bit.
    I'm there with ya... Im not too fond of her either. But thats just my opinion
    Alec Su Forever!!

~Bratty Princess Rox~

[Jay Chou]~[JJ Lin]~[S.H.E]~[Jolin Cai]~[Se7en]~[DBSG]

Leon Lai has expressed his view on this survey and called it craps...he maintained that neither he or his management company was interviewed for the survey.

He was also wary about what this survey's motive.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

I don't think they interviewed anyone at all. They just probably used compiled statistics and went from there.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

Yay!! go go go Vicki!!! ^^ Ranking third!!
    Considering she's not well known in America, unlike Yao Ming and Zhang Zi Yi...that's waaay cool!!
    Her parents will be so proud of dear wei wei!! ^^
    smile!^_^
    ...and if you felt happy for that small second, wasn't it worth it!

Well, it's not just Leon Lai and his reps. Seems that entertainers that have made the list and their reps throughout China have complained about the listing and the way it was compiled...

Xinhua quoted pop singer Han Hong, ranked 12th, as saying: "Even people with only a little knowledge of the entertainment circle in China know it is impossible for an actor to earn that much in a year."

South China Morning Post:
    "It's our first year in China. It doesn't surprise me that both stars and media paid attention to the list," said Jeff Zhou, editor of Forbes China. "However, income is sensitive in China."

The magazine interviewed 70 per cent of the celebrities, their agents or the companies they work for, while Mr Zhou says the remaining few were calculated from indirect figures provided by insiders.

"The figure for income was calculated before money was paid to their agents, their company and all kinds of taxes and fees deducted. Some media did not make that clear," said Mr Zhou.

what the...

i m shocked, how can jet be 10 and be beaten by those ppl. also considering he learns 5 times more than most of them (yao ming excepted)...shame

vicki aka zhaowei also express her view on this. Saying, the result doesn't matter to her, and the information is not 100% correct or realistic
    -China Forbes magazine said the result doesn't depend on earning alone..even Yao Ming said this doesn't matter to him
    Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Richelieu
    English dramatist, novelist, & politician (1803 - 1873)

I think most of the celebs are not being completely forthcoming... and probably for good reason considering the precedent. Plus, most in China feel that Forbes China may even be under-reporting their taxable incomes for the past year. Exhibit A...

Kiss of Death
    The Standard (Hong Kong)
    February 24, 2004
    Wu Zhong

Like a stone thrown into a pool of still water, the Forbes List of Top 100 Chinese Celebrities, 2003, has caused a reaction among those selected as well as the public on the mainland.

Almost all the celebrities have said they are not happy being on the list and are furious over what they claim "is an exaggeration'' of their income by the Chinese version of the US business magazine.

There may be good reasons for these sports, film and singing stars to feel uncomfortable, because a sister list, Forbes' Top 100 Richest Chinese Entrepreneurs, appears to have been a harbinger of bad news for mainland tycoons over the past two years.

Since the middle of 2002, a number of Forbes tycoons have been running for cover once listed.

A few examples:

In July, 2002, the mainland's best-known film star-turned-businesswoman, Liu Xiaoqing, was arrested on suspicion of tax evasion. She is now on parole awaiting trial - and, to her distress, named again this year - 36th on the list of Chinese celebrities.

At about the same time Liu fell from grace, Yang Rong, the chairman of New York and Hong Kong-listed Brilliance China Holdings, China's largest minibus manufacturer, based in Shenyang, Liaoning province, was fired on suspicion of "economic crimes''. Yang, now living in the United States, claims that the Liaoning provincial government illegally took away his Brilliance China shares. He has filed a lawsuit with a US court demanding their return.

In October, 2002, the chairman of Hong Kong-listed Euro-Asia Agricultural Holdings, Yang Bin, was detained on suspicion of financial irregularities. He was sentenced to 18 years in jail for fraud last year.

In January last year, Li Haichang, boss of the steel-making Haixin Group based in Yuncheng, Shanxi province, was shot dead in his office by a gunman.

And Shanghai property tycoon Chau Ching-ngai, boss of Hong Kong-listed Shanghai Land, has been under investigation since last summer.

Because of these events, rich business people on the mainland now privately call the Forbes list the "kiss of death'', and are making every effort to avoid being listed.

It is no wonder Chinese celebrities, used to being in the spotlight, are now shunning it for fear of unsolicited fame.

Forbes created two lists in its Feburary 10 edition - one for comprehensive rating, and the other for income. Both lists were filled almost exclusively by actors, actresses and athletes.

In terms of comprehensive ratings basketball superstar Yao Ming topped the list. After Yao was film star Zhang Ziyi, who was selected for her starring roles in internationally-known movies such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, made with director Ang Lee. Actress Vicki Chao Wei, known for her performance in a television drama series,was third on the list.

In terms of income, Kung Fu film star Jet Lee was No 1 with 140 million yuan (HK$130.2 million) a year. Yao Ming, second with 120 million yuan.

Immediately after publication, many of those listed started to complain publicly, either individually or through the media.

Singer Sun Nan, ranked No 9 in the comprehensive rating, said: "It says I made an income of 24 million yuan. That is too much of an exaggeration. But I do not care about such lists. Let them say whatever they want.''

Hu Haiquan, a member of the Yuquan singing group, which ranked No 14, said: "Just not long ago, the taxman came to check us after some other magazine said we made an annual income of 9 million yuan. Now we are said to have an income of 20 million yuan. That's too far-fetched. If the taxman comes to check us again because of this (Forbes) list, I definitely will file a lawsuit against the magazine.''

The only exception was director Zhao Baogang, ranked No 66. He agreed with Forbes' estimation of his income of 4.8 million yuan last year. Yao Ming, however, poured scorn on the list, saying he did not have time to be bothered by such things. Hu's sentiments reflect concern on the part of celebrities who believe the country's taxman may launch new investigations into their earnings.

Liu Xiaoqing is a good example. Liu used to boast that she was "China's richest lady'' before she was netted by the taxation authorities.

The mainland consensus is that sports stars and entertainers have benefited the most from the country's economic reform and opening up over the past 25 years, as their incomes have soared.

However, because a large part of their earnings are so-called "grey'' income (cash without record), they tend to hide this from the tax authorities, who are well aware of this, and keep a close eye on their records.

A majority of the mainland public appear to stand on the side of Forbes. On Internet chat rooms such as www.people.com.cn or www.sina.com.cn many have posted opinions to the effect that Forbes in fact had underestimated the income of many on its list.

However, despite their complaints, the celebrities deep down must be proud of having appeared on the Forbes list.

After all, unlike private entrepreneurs who earn their bread through investment and commercial decisions, a celebrity depends on his or her fame and popularity.

Originally posted by Omniflame
    Geez, Jet Li is only #10 and is beaten by Zhou Xun. Who's Sun Nan?
    Sun Nan can be said the King of China singer. He sing "Jen Qing Jen Mei"(Legend Of Condor Heros 2003) ending son with Valen Hsu

Pft...Jet Li rules among all.....
    how can Zhao Wei and ZZY ranked so high?
    Eric Bana= Hot
    Brad Pitt= GOD

Isn't this based on their income tax... so maybe the more famous celeb didn't report all their incomes...
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I thought Jet Li is the richest Asian celebrity. Didn't know others could beat him and he ends up in the 10th place.

The list did ay that he got the mot income for 2003. But I think maybe he's still under Jacky Chan.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by Dagger Lee
    I thought Jet Li is the richest Asian celebrity. Didn't know others could beat him and he ends up in the 10th place.
    The list is not just about money. Otherwise, Zhao Wei would not be number 3 on the list and yet have the third lowest income of those in the top 10.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 06-05-04 at 01:10 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by Lady Zhuge
    The list is not just about money. Otherwise, Zhao Wei would not be number 3 on the list and yet have the third lowest income of those in the top 10.
    Please check the list again, and i'm sure, you will see that ZhaoWei is not the one with lowest income in the list.
    Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Richelieu
    English dramatist, novelist, & politician (1803 - 1873)

Originally posted by bio
    Please check the list again, and i'm sure, you will see that ZhaoWei is not the one with lowest income in the list.
    Please read what I said again or even what you highlighted of what I posted. I never said that she had the lowest income on the list. I said that she has the third lowest income of those in the top 10. One word makes a big difference, you know.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 06-13-04 at 05:51 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")