Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who does Ling Hu Chong love most?

ahhh, his wine... good answer :P

Seriously, what I remembered from the novel is that YLS was LHC first love and vice versa. Almost like kiddie love (they even created useless swords arts together).
    YLS was the first to move on. She fell in love with her true love.
    Then LHC, broken hearted, also moved on. He found this amazing girl ( who btw is better than YLS in every aspect ). Through thick and thin, they fall in love. RYY was first to show affection, LHC soon followed.

If anyone still have doubt, remember that:
    1. LHC dreamed about RYY, not YLS, before awaken by XWT.
    2. RYY is the first girl to be able to move LHC's heart so great that he could not resist to kiss her instantly. (we're talking about a man who can control his manner in front of ladies here)
    3. LHC, enjoying chat and being together with RYY so much, forgot that he's supposed to protect YLS (RYY herself have to remind him of this).
    4. LHC explicitely told Yi Lin's mother that RYY is the love of his life.
    5. LHC can accept YLS death, although very sad, but can not stand the thought of losing RYY (he was about to take his own life in that cave).
    6.... that's all I can remember for now.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

interesting question, intruging answers..

I was in another forum and the same question was asked, the majority of the males there think that YLS is the love of LinghoChung while RYY is the lucky runner up. But most of the females disagree, same pattern in this forum. I am just wondering why?

The sad thing is when I went to rent XAJH2001 they gave me Taiwan 2000 with Richie Ren. Ughhh. However I ended up watching the entire series. Conclusion: based on this version LHC loved YLS more than RYY. Even til the last episode, he still could not let YLS go---with her death he still loved her. So for this version, RYY was only runner up. Pity too, since Anita was so pretty in this series.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

ugh please watch xajh 2001 and not the richie ren version. That one was terrible. Richie Ren can't act even if his life depended on it.

As for Ling hu chong's true love, I would say wine too.

I heard it took til chapter 36 for LHC to fully love RYY. They officially met in chapter 17, but it took him 19 more chapters to truely love her back! RYY is a goddess for her love, devotion and patience.

Another question, was there ever any tension or jealousy between RYY and YLS?

i don't think YLS and RYY were even in enough contact with each other...im sure there was a bit of pull at RYY's heart, seeing as YLS was LHC's first love...but again, they never really knew each other so i don't think there was any jealousy to speak of there.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

I would have to say RYY.

Default Does Linghu Chong truly love Ren Ying Ying?

I wonder whom does Linghu Chong truly love ?

In the first place he did love her martial sister and events turned into wrong way. His martial sister simply betrayed him. It may not be said as betraying because there weren't any told promises in the first place. Linghu Chong and his martial sister's relationship was yet to deepen.

Besieging Shaolin temple was Linghu Chong's gratitude towards sacred lady not from seeds of love. At that time he often thinks his martial sister and really cares about her well being. His feelings toward sacred lady was out of respect and more or less from fear.

But later when they meet again he started to hug her kiss her. Isn't he just taking advantage of young lady? Though the lady is still willing.

I feel like when Linghu Chong kicked by his martial sister, he just grabbed new opportunity. It doesn't seem like his heart truly desire. I believe changing his heart in this sudden way is not a conduct of wuxia. Maybe I am too obsessed by Yang Guo.

What you guys thinking about this. Does he really love sacred lady ?
    Last edited by odbayarb2000; 08-09-07 at 10:57 PM.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

LHC suddenly changed his heart? I think the single biggest complaint that readers of XAJH have is that it took him so damn LONG to fall in love with RYY and that he stayed in love with YLS for so long. Not to mention, 'hug and kiss her'? RYY was actually highly proper, and didn't allow any of that.

Is this an adaptation you are seeing?
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    I wonder whom does Linghu Chong truly love ?

In the first place he did love her martial sister and events turned into wrong way. His martial sister simply betrayed him. It may not be said as betraying because there weren't any said promises in the first place. Linghu Chong and his martial sister's relationship was yet to deepen.

Besieging Shaolin temple was Linghu Chong's gratitude towards sacred lady not from seeds of love. At that time he often thinks his martial sister and really cares about her well being. His feelings toward sacred lady was out of respect and more or less from fear.

But later when they meet again he started to hug her kiss her. Isn't he just taking advantage of young lady? Though the lady is still willing.

I feel like when Linghu Chong kicked by his martial sister, he just grabbed new opportunity. It doesn't seem like his heart truly desire. I believe changing his heart in this sudden way is not a conduct of wuxia. Maybe I am too obsessed by Yang Guo.

What you guys thinking about this. Does he really love sacred lady ?
    And how appropriate that Linghu Chong was played by Chow Yun Fat in the 1984 TVB version. (Reference to Chow Yun Fat's lighting marriage, and all the events leading up to it )

No no, I am reading the novel. Ok, let me find some excrepts to back up my argument.

Here is what happened during fight between Linghu Chong and Yue Buqun in the Shaolin temple. From here we can clearly see what Linghu Chong's heart really desires. But he couldn't simply ignore three person's life. His reactions here is out of respect towards Ren Yingying not an action from seeds of love.

I would be able to return to Huashan and get married to little martial sister. My life would be returned to me, what else do I want? But what about Yingying, Chief Ren, and brother Xiang? If I lose this fight then the three of them would be detained on top of Mount Shaoshi and they might be even be killed. I'm only coveting for my own happiness and not repaying other people’s kindness. Can I still be called a person?" At this thought, the back of his body was covered with cold sweat and his vision became blurry. He saw Yue Buqun slashed his sword horizontally passing very close to his mouth then pointing the sword towards him, pushed forward. This was the move 'Nong Yu Playing the Flute'. Linghu Chong's heart was moved again. "Yingying was willing to die for me but I didn’t even pay any attention to her plight. Is there anyone else in this world who is more vicious than Linghu Chong? No matter what, I have to repay Yingying’s kindness." Suddenly, he felt dizzy, and heard a 'zheng' sound as a long sword fell on the ground.

Following is what happened bewteen Linghu Chong and Yingying afterwards in the blizzard. He still thinks of her little martial sister. Here is the sudden change that I mentioned before. He simply cut off his desires for his little sister and suddenly changed.

Linghu Chong felt ashamed. In his heart, there was always a feeling of estrangement towards her. "I said it wrong. From today onwards, I will wholeheartedly treat you well." As he said these words, he couldn't refrain from thinking, "How about little martial sister? Little martial sister? Could it be that I'll forget little martial sister?

Yingying's eyes flashed with happiness. "Brother Chong, are you speaking the truth, or are you deceiving me?"

Suddenly Linghu Chong was no longer thinking of himself or of his longing for Yue Lingshan. He sincerely answered, "If I'm deceiving you, then let me be split in two by thunder, and not die a good death."
    "
    Their next meeting was in Heng-Shan.

On top of the sky bridge at the Hanging Temple, she knew clearly that the ambush was unpassable so she jumped in front of me afraid that I might get injured. To have a wife like this, what more can Linghu Chong ask for?" With this thought, he extended his arms to hug her waist.
    Also he kissed her in the Dark Wood Cliff after defeating Dongfang Bubai.

Linghu Chong pulled her close to him and lightly hugged her. "It's goodbye for now. Once that matter in Songshan is settled then I'll come here to look for you. Then we'll never be apart again."

Yingying's eyes flashed happily and she lightly said, "If only all your matters go smoothly then we can meet earlier. I'll... I'll wait here and look out for you every night and day."

"Alright!" Linghu Chong then gave her a kiss on her cheek. Yingying's face turned red with bashfulness and pushed him away.

Linghu Chong also cried when he heard news from Yilin about his martial sister getting married with Lin Pingzi. But he already kissed and hugged Ren Yingying even promised he will treat her wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by odbayarb2000; 08-10-07 at 12:11 PM.

To me i think it is realistic that he does still have some slight feelings for his martial sister but in the end he is able to commit to RYY. Not everyone is like YG in JY's novels, some of his protagonists could not even make their mind up even at the end like ZWJ, Yuan Chengzhi - and lets not even mention WXB.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Oh please please please do not compare any of those guys with WXB! He's just a plain jerk!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I haven't read the SPW novel nor have I seriously watched the adaptations, but based on what I do know, there does seem to be a kind of "consolation prize" vibe to the character of Yam Ying Ying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I haven't read the SPW novel nor have I seriously watched the adaptations, but based on what I do know, there does seem to be a kind of "consolation prize" vibe to the character of Yam Ying Ying.
    Aww. Maybe it's just the first love thing. People always says that first love is always the most unforgettable blah blah blah...
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    No no, I am reading the novel. Ok, let me find some excrepts to back up my argument.

Here is what happened during fight between Linghu Chong and Yue Buqun in the Shaolin temple. From here we can clearly see what Linghu Chong's heart really desires. But he couldn't simply ignore three person's life. His reactions here is out of respect towards Ren Yingying not an action from seeds of love.

Following is what happened bewteen Linghu Chong and Yingying afterwards in the blizzard. He still thinks of her little martial sister. Here is the sudden change that I mentioned before. He simply cut off his desires for his little sister and suddenly changed.

Their next meeting was in Heng-Shan.

Also he kissed her in the Dark Wood Cliff after defeating Dongfang Bubai.

I don't think LHC could really forget YLS. After all, that's around 20 years of memories, right? But that doesn't mean he doesn't love RYY truly. But that's interesting--I want to go in the book just to look.

When I was younger (teenager) I believed that LHC was deeply in love with YLS and never really fell completely for RYY (of course, this was all colored by TVB adaptations). Now that I am in my late 20's reading the English translations on this forum, I do think it is quite realistic for the LHC/RYY relationship to develop into honest, loyal committment with deep and true love.

It is simply not the same relationship. I don't think LHC could be honest with YLS (i.e. pretending to lose to her in sword fights) - he's much too fearful of hurting her feelings, where there are never any "white" lies between him and Ying Ying. He had lived through life and death situations, professional (in front of jianhu crowds) and private (secluded by a mountain), faced hard life-changing decisions -- all with RYY by his side.

IMO these shared moments heavily outweigh piggy-back rides, practicing sword art, and sneaking food with YLS.

No contest here, LHC loves RYY more, even though he would probably never be able to completely get rid of YLS's image.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Seriously, I think YLS more. He's willing to die for her and all.

Look at it this way, both the Shaolin Abbot and Wutang chief pleaded with him to fight for the Five Mountain leader position and he let YLS win just to make her smile. WTF.... leaving the whole wuxia world in jeopardy cos of YLS. disappointed with LHC. He only shows his deep affection for RYY after YLS dies.

I've read the entire english translation. I like the novel but felt a bit let down by LHC. Seriously, even though the title itself - Smiling Proud Wanderer, LHC doesn't act like one. Every other page or events, he's in despair, and in bad shape cos of YLS leaving him for LPZ. Doesn't act as a real hero, sad to say he's a hypocrite as his Huashan master.

At least, watching the TV version, they don't show him as that, more of always laughing and joking.