Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Asian casting

Default Non-Asian casting

If Jin Yong or Gu Long novels were made into series using Hollywood (non-Asian) actors and actresses, who would be good choices to portray the various characters in the novels? Consider the non-Asian actor/actress's personality and looks when making your choices.

All I know is what I've picked up from the novel translations and fansubs, so I'd like the opinions of those more knowlegeable than me.

A similar thread was actually already posted some time ago last year, but I could not find it. Anyway, my picks:
    1. Ian Mckellen with his Gandalf appearance as HYS
    2. Patrick Stewart as 1D
    3. John Rhys-Davies as OYF
    4. Sean Connery as H7Q
    5. Anthony Hopkins as WCY

But it may be years before wuxia is really known to all asian people, and years more to non-asian people. In regards to Hollywood, it may be even many more years before they understand the wuxia culture and so at this point I do not think that WITHOUT the help and advices from wuxia, asian experts, they can make a good wuxia adaptation of JY's and GL's novels.

No offence intended whatsoever.

I would think it's complete blasphemy. x.x;
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Non-Asian actors/actresses will make wuxia look so cheesy.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

It'll be horrible.
    Similarly, I can't imagine Asian actors/actresses in shows like LOTR. Andy Lau as Aragorn?

Originally posted by fyp
    It'll be horrible.
    Similarly, I can't imagine Asian actors/actresses in shows like LOTR. Andy Lau as Aragorn?
    Yes, horrible, isn't it? I don't even watch 'The Last Samurai'. u.u;
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Originally posted by fyp
    It'll be horrible.
    I don't know.... Andy Lau wouldn't be that bad of an Aragorn...
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

i still cant imagine hollywood actors playing any of those wuxia characters...it would be waaaaaayyyy weird, man.

But i can imagine Van Damme playing Yang Kang.......ar...ar...ar...ar...ar .......and Viggo Mortensen as young Ou Yang Feng (hell, he did great in G.I Jane, pure torture machine)

*shrugs* but it will still look weird.....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    I would think it's complete blasphemy. x.x;
    I agree...
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Orlando Bloom as Yang Guo

I always thought a white girl would make a good XLN
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

The Rock as Yan Nan Tian
    Tom Cruise as Li Xun Huan
    ....... and we can all puke together...
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

I don't watch it either. I don't want to.

Originally posted by SolidSnake
    The Rock as Yan Nan Tian
    Hey, that's a good one if we just judge it by body shape. Good choice!

Definitely MUST *NOT* WATCH! What a spoiler....a white playing samurai? And in the Emperor reign still, oh c'mon.....gimme a break.....never in my lifetime, even its Tom Cruise.....no way, man. Absolute no-no.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Anyone actually watched this movie? My sister said it was good, but I never watched it.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by superboy
    Anyone actually watched this movie? My sister said it was good, but I never watched it.
    sister, Tom Cruise
    think?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Originally posted by Ardor
    sister, Tom Cruise
    think?
    you're so right, man....theres another factor at work here.......good in this context isnt necessarily good indeed
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- The Spaniard -

can you really imagine some american Hollywood actress dyeing her hair black/using a wig tied in a bun? either its hilarious or doesn't bear thinking about

Originally posted by Carefree Assassin
    can you really imagine some american Hollywood actress dyeing her hair black/using a wig tied in a bun? either its hilarious or doesn't bear thinking about
    now that u meantioned it....yeah! it is hillarious to see them with ancient asian look....lolz....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- The Spaniard -

and how about Bruce Willis with Qing Dynasty hairstyle? head half-shaved and a pigtail....man, i can roll on the floor laughing for days!
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- The Spaniard -

I thought the movie was about some European Ship landing on Japan or something. Am I wrong?