Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Great ATV Themesongs

Banned

for me, i personally thought the great atv ending themesong is the series 'the snow is red'

Quote Originally Posted by FireLord View Post
    for me, i personally thought the great atv ending themesong is the series 'the snow is red'
    Yeah, I like this song too. Too bad the song was never officially released. I've been trying to find the full version for ages but failed.

The Song was sung by the Andrew Yuen.

Btw, why is Firelord banned? What has he done?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Found this MV in youtube. The subtheme of 'Snow in Red' used with clips from ROCH95.

95神雕侠侣 MV 男儿无泪

Quote Originally Posted by wargods View Post
    Yes, that is Tsui Siu Ming indeed.

The 3CD set has the following ATV theme songs:
    The Fist (theme + subtheme, 1982)
    Super Hero (theme + subtheme, 1983)
    The Blood Debt (theme, 1982)
    Tiger Hill Trail (theme + subtheme, 1983)
    Chameleon II (theme, 1979)

Ian Liew, I hope you saw the cd link I posted above...I am surprised that you didn't reply....
    I am sorry for my late reply
    I just got the Tsui Siu Ming CD set, together with the ATV 50th Anniversary set. Tsui Siu Ming doesn't look much like the main bad guy in Super Hero, though, I think it's a different person.

The Tsui Siu Ming set is pretty nice - a solid cardboard box sleeve with a half-yinyang hole cut in the centre, so when you insert the CD case in you Tsui Siu Ming's face peeks out portrait style. It's nice and feels expensive and classic.

With the songs, the ones which wargods listed are the main themesongs, but the rest of the songs are actually quite listenable - if you like Tsui Siu Ming's style. If you like Tiger Hill Trail and it's jolly subtheme, you should have no trouble liking the rest of the CDs. Some of them are more classic Chinese than others, none are particularly memorable, but while the CD is playing it's very pleasant. I've not listened to the whole 3 CDs yet, but the entire 1st CD follows either a classic Chinese style, a wacky jolly style as in Tiger Hill Trail's subtheme, or a heroic feel like Tiger's main theme. I'll update everyone once I've finished all three CDs.

The ATV 50th anniversary CD is really nice. The casing is less sturdy than the Tsui Siu Ming CD set, with a flimsy paper stuck on to the box showing scenes from some serials. The contents, however, are a dream.

From the old Lai Tuck serials to the newer ATV serials (such as Ching Hum Ye Chong Wan, the Patrick Tse and Michelle Yip serial) most songs are in there. Some forgotten gems like Fau Sang Luk Kip, Fok Yuen Kap and Young Master Wong Fei Hung brought back memories, while Cheung Sam Fung I and II, Rinsing Water Purifying Swords and Crocodile Tears, while available in other compilations, are nice additions to have in a CD collection. Newer songs like Ching Yum Ye Chong Wan, Muk Kwai Ying, MDWAV 1 and Choi Keen Yim Yeung Tin are all in there as well. Perhaps it's easier to list the notable omissions.

The most noticeable ones are MDWAV 2 and MDWAV 3, especially since they have MDWAV 1. It's not an issue for me since I have the MDWAV 3 soundtrack which includes all songs from MDWAV 2 and 1, but it's sad they left it out. MDWAV is under WSM, while the 50th anniversary compilation is from Warner, so I suppose that's the main reason. For the same reason, Tsui Siu Ming's songs, released under Man Chi Record Co Ltd, aren't in there - nothing that can't be resolved by buying Tsui CD as well. Adam Cheng's "Zhuge Liang" and "Turbulence in Shanghai" aren't there either, but Adam normally records under Crown, if I'm not mistaken. Deric Wan's "Drunken Fist" (under Crown as well) and Frances Yip's "Mythical Crane and Needle" (released under GSM) aren't there either. Neither is the "Snow is Red".

Gallen Lo's "Qin Shihuangdi" is included, but sadly the beautiful subtheme by Fung Bobo isn't. The version of "Yan Choi Kong Wu"'s subtheme, "Yan Choi Lui Tou Sa Lui Si" is also different from the normal version, being sung by Michael Kwan and Candice Yu, instead of Lui On Na. As much as I adore Candice Yu, she's not really that good a singer, and this song's quality isn't as good as the one you get in Michael's compilations.

The common favorites such as Reincarnated I and II and their subthemes are included, although the modern "Zhoi Yu Tin Bei Kou" version isn't. Other song which are less rare are "Tai Tei Yan Ching", "Tai Loi Kwan Ying", and "Empress Wu", but then again you can read all this on the Yesasia website, anyway.. dunno why I wrote all of it.. It's just so nice to have all these songs in one set, and so frustrating that so many missed out because of (probably) recording company rights.

The Bonus DVD is really great, and makes up for it. Tai Dei Yan Ching, Tai Loi Kwan Ying, Reincarnated etc all have their themesong videos displayed, and more importantly, some of them have had their videos extended to the full length of the song (e.g Reincarnated). Watching these videos also brings back so many memories, and makes you feel so much younger. Especially Tai Tei Yan Ching, how young Poon Chi Man and Ngok Wah looked...

All in all, both CDs are wonderful additions to any themesong lover's collection. The only warning I'd give is with regard to customs duties. It cost me just over RM150 to buy both CDs from Yesasia, and it cost me another RM200 to collect it from the post office - I was charged another RM150 for custom tax, and RM50 for other administration fees by the Malaysian customs. It kind of put a damper on the whole experience, but after listening to the songs, I'd still say it was worth it, especially since I can't find either CD in KL.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 10-22-07 at 04:33 AM.

That's some crazy administrative fees from the post office Ian.

Thanks for the info on the reason for the obvious song omissions on the ATV anniversary CD. The ATV live concert special DVD/CD has a few different songs than the CD you are talking about. The concert special also includes "the snow is red" main theme and the main theme from "water legend" sung by Amy Chan. Another good song not found on the CD but is included in the concert special is the theme from "Chamelon" (the old one with Poon Chi Man, Ma Man Yee, and Lau Chi Wing). How was "Chamelon" by the way? I heard it was a big hit back in the 1970s - thinking about giving the series a look. Most of the other new songs are either not ATV or aren't very good (like a few cartoon songs I think). Also, the live concert songs aren't sung as well compared to the CD (but that is to be expected).

FYI on the "Yan Choi Kong Wu"'s subtheme, "Yan Choi Lui Tou Sa Lui Si", the version you heard on the CD sung by Candice Yu and Johnny Yip was the original version found on the TV serial. Some contract negotiation ploy by ATV or the record company in the early 1980s prevented Candice from releasing the song on CD. Hence, very few people attach her name to that wonderful song. She does have a very recognizable/different type of voice. Not great, but pretty good IMHO, especially since I had no clue she sung at all. Is Johnny Yip and Michael Kwan the same dude, I always see them being credited for the same song. That dude/dudes are kings of ATV themesongs!

By jolly songs on the Tsui Siu Ming CD, do you mean similar to the "Four Constables" theme sung by Tung Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    That's some crazy administrative fees from the post office Ian.

Thanks for the info on the reason for the obvious song omissions on the ATV anniversary CD. The ATV live concert special DVD/CD has a few different songs than the CD you are talking about. The concert special also includes "the snow is red" main theme and the main theme from "water legend" sung by Amy Chan. Another good song not found on the CD but is included in the concert special is the theme from "Chamelon" (the old one with Poon Chi Man, Ma Man Yee, and Lau Chi Wing). How was "Chamelon" by the way? I heard it was a big hit back in the 1970s - thinking about giving the series a look. Most of the other new songs are either not ATV or aren't very good (like a few cartoon songs I think). Also, the live concert songs aren't sung as well compared to the CD (but that is to be expected).
    I'm not that old that I remember the plots of those 70s serials... I've got New Chameleon on one of my Michael Kwan CDs, and Tsui Siu Ming has it on his CD set as well, but I don't have the original Chameleon anywhere either. If I remember correctly the song was beautiful.

Another song which was notably ommitted was "Ma Wing Ching" - although I don't know who sang it. It seems like something which could have very well been on the CD, though - has that Michael Kwan or Johnny Yip kind of voice.

FYI on the "Yan Choi Kong Wu"'s subtheme, "Yan Choi Lui Tou Sa Lui Si", the version you heard on the CD sung by Candice Yu and Johnny Yip was the original version found on the TV serial. Some contract negotiation ploy by ATV or the record company in the early 1980s prevented Candice from releasing the song on CD. Hence, very few people attach her name to that wonderful song. She does have a very recognizable/different type of voice. Not great, but pretty good IMHO, especially since I had no clue she sung at all. Is Johnny Yip and Michael Kwan the same dude, I always see them being credited for the same song. That dude/dudes are kings of ATV themesongs!
    Poor Candice - that's a horrid thing to do, even if she doesn't quite have the strength to be a singer I think. It's a sweet voice, but not quite strong enough. Certainly not weaker than some of the voices we hear from some of those so-called singers in Hong Kong nowadays, though. Nice of ATV to release this version to make up for it, though - Candice Yu is probably, until today, the sweetest actress I have ever seen on TV, and it's nice to give her some recognition for stuff she did.

Michael Kwan (Kwan Cheng Kit) and Johnny Yip (Yip Chun Tong) are very similar singers in style (I used to get them confused as well). Michael Kwan sang "Reincarnated" I and II, "Dai Dei Yan Ching", "Can Meng", "Chameleon", both songs for "DGSD 81", "Ying Hung Chut Siu Nin", "Sing" (star) and "Yan Choi Kong Wu", among his more famous songs. Johnny Yip sang "Dai Loi Kwan Ying", "XAJH 84", "Fau Sang Luk Kip", "Cheung Sam Fung" I and II, "Fok Yuen Kap" and "I came from Chiu Chau" - both sang for ATV and TVB, and like you said, sang a LOT of ATV songs.

By jolly songs on the Tsui Siu Ming CD, do you mean similar to the "Four Constables" theme sung by Tung Bill?
    That's more .. urgent classical opera, than actual wacky. The nearest I can describe it is a classical version of Samuel Hui, with very good Cantonese at times. If you know the famous song from Tiger Hill Trail - "Lau Pou... Ah!! Lau Pou!!", and his other hit "Fung Sang Sui Hei", regarding a fortune teller - that kind of wacky Cantonese song. It's brilliant!!

I've been through CD 2, and it's really entertaining. A lot of classical music and oldies parodied - including "Sealed with a Kiss" and a hilarious parady of Boney M's "Rasputin". It's got to be heard to be believed.. I'll listen to CD 3 tomorrow.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 10-22-07 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I'm not that old that I remember the plots of those 70s serials... I've got New Chameleon on one of my Michael Kwan CDs, and Tsui Siu Ming has it on his CD set as well, but I don't have the original Chameleon anywhere either. If I remember correctly the song was beautiful.

Poor Candice - that's a horrid thing to do, even if she doesn't quite have the strength to be a singer I think. It's a sweet voice, but not quite strong enough. Certainly not weaker than some of the voices we hear from some of those so-called singers in Hong Kong nowadays, though. Nice of ATV to release this version to make up for it, though - Candice Yu is probably, until today, the sweetest actress I have ever seen on TV, and it's nice to give her some recognition for stuff she did.

That's more .. urgent classical opera, than actual wacky. The nearest I can describe it is a classical version of Samuel Hui, with very good Cantonese at times. If you know the famous song from Tiger Hill Trail - "Lau Pou... Ah!! Lau Pou!!", and his other hit "Fung Sang Sui Hei", regarding a fortune teller - that kind of wacky Cantonese song. It's brilliant!!
    Thanks for the info Ian!

Yeah, the Chamelon song was very good. More incentive to possibly pick up this classic series. I will probably wait a little while though, since the whole 60 episode series would cost $135 right now (ATV has to get it in their head that the increased sales - hence more popularity - will make up for the price decrease!!!!!). Quite a price to pay for a series I have never seen any parts of before - although I had never seen "Fatherland" prior to purchase and it turned out to be the best series ever.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree about Candice Yu. IMHO, cutest actress to have ever been put on film. Perfect casting for the Princess Frangrance role by TVB. It sucked that she got so many of those tragic roles from ATV (Hated that 9 Gun guy from "Fatherland" for causing her death! I know you said you don't remember much about the series except hating that dude, that's probably why )

Will definitely check out the Tsui Siu Ming CD, I love that Sam Hui type of stuff.
    Last edited by bobbywu; 10-25-07 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks for the info Ian!

Yeah, the Chamelon song was very good. More incentive to possibly pick up this classic series. I will probably wait a little while though, since the whole 60 episode series would cost $135 right now (ATV has to get it in their head that the increased sales - hence more popularity - will make up for the price decrease!!!!!). Quite a price to pay for a series I have never seen any parts of before - although I had never seen "Fatherland" prior to purchase and it turned out to be the best series ever.
    I watched the Fatherland opening song on the DVD that came with the collection. It looked so... authentic. So down and dirty with the peasants, in a romantic kind of way rather than degrading. It made me really want to watch it, but I recall you saying that the ending kind of spoiled the entire serial due to the lack of closure. What happens to 6 Gun and Poon Chi Man? Dai Hor dies, doesn't he? And Yee hor was supposed to be, iirc, kind of useless. Does he change for the better?

I watched the Fatherland opening song on the DVD that came with the collection. It looked so... authentic. So down and dirty with the peasants, in a romantic kind of way rather than degrading. It made me really want to watch it, but I recall you saying that the ending kind of spoiled the entire serial due to the lack of closure. What happens to 6 Gun and Poon Chi Man? Dai Hor dies, doesn't he? And Yee hor was supposed to be, iirc, kind of useless. Does he change for the better?

Yep, I heard this was the only ATV series in history to beat TVB in teh ratings from beginning to end The villagers naiveness was more funny and thought provoking than degrading. I know that if I lived there I would probably be just as naive. The story hit close to home for me as my father and ancestors were in similar situations when they grew up in Canton. The series made me really appreciate them, the rough times they went through. I guess that is why Chinese people are inculcated since young to respect their elders, they went through a lot to get us to where we are today. Also, I am now more understanding of my dad's cheapness, for gosh sake his grandparents probably had to live off of tree leaves.

Poon Chi Man's story was conspicuously unclosed - we are never told what happens with his efforts in establishing a new governement; we don't know if he does see Michelle Yim again or ends up with Ma Man Yee instead. It seriously looked like they were planning to focus on his story again with a Part IV, but Part IV never happened. Yee hor is indeed useless, in part III he and his son go back to the village and set up a gambling ring to corrupt the village -luckily Poon CHi Man got rid of him.

Dai Hur did die, at his deathbed he instructed his family to bring his ashes back home to the village, so he can be with his family and descendants forever. To me that was the theme of the series, your family and your home is the most important thing in the world. Gow Gun's family had longed for him to come home for over 5 years (he had promised them all along that he was going to come home as soon as 5 years was up). He kept making up excuses to his family (via letter) about needing to stay in America. He only stayed there because he liked this other girl (even though he was already married to Candice). He stayed in America like an extra year or so, total like 6. He finally came home only because he had heard that his wife had died. She died longing for him, as she was dying she wrote him a letter telling him to take care of himself. And when he actually finally got home, all he did was visit his wife's grave once and take his daughter with him to America. He stayed in his village with his family for only 1 day To make things worse he lied to his family about why it took him so long to come home. Then He lied to his family about why he wanted to go back to America. This on top of causing Candice's death
    WTF !!!!! - MOST HATED PROTAGANIST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THat totally went against what the series was about. Looked like they just threw the ending together last second just to have an "ending."
    Last edited by bobbywu; 10-25-07 at 09:41 PM.

All in all, both CDs are wonderful additions to any themesong lover's collection. The only warning I'd give is with regard to customs duties. It cost me just over RM150 to buy both CDs from Yesasia, and it cost me another RM200 to collect it from the post office - I was charged another RM150 for custom tax, and RM50 for other administration fees by the Malaysian customs. It kind of put a damper on the whole experience, but after listening to the songs, I'd still say it was worth it, especially since I can't find either CD in KL.
    This is so discouraging. I lost all motivation to buy it liao. No way I'll be giving all these money to the custom/delivery/admin. That's daylight robbery. You pay RM150 for the CD and RM400 for the other fees?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    This is so discouraging. I lost all motivation to buy it liao. No way I'll be giving all these money to the custom/delivery/admin. That's daylight robbery. You pay RM150 for the CD and RM400 for the other fees?
    Sorry, I didn't write it too clear. I paid RM150 for the CD, and RM200 for other fees, which comprised RM150 tax and RM50 admin. It's a matter of luck, I guess.. my sensasian orders from before normally made it through safely, although I did get taxed once (out of 4 times).

Poon Chi Man's story was conspicuously unclosed - we are never told what happens with his efforts in establishing a new governement; we don't know if he does see Michelle Yim again or ends up with Ma Man Yee instead. It seriously looked like they were planning to focus on his story again with a Part IV, but Part IV never happened. Yee hor is indeed useless, in part III he and his son go back to the village and set up a gambling ring to corrupt the village -luckily Poon CHi Man got rid of him.
    How about 6 Gun? He looked like the honest, hardworking type in the opening theme.

Dai Hur did die, at his deathbed he instructed his family to bring his ashes back home to the village, so he can be with his family and descendants forever. To me that was the theme of the series, your family and your home is the most important thing in the world. Gow Gun's family had longed for him to come home for over 5 years (he had promised them all along that he was going to come home as soon as 5 years was up). He kept making up excuses to his family (via letter) about needing to stay in America. He only stayed there because he liked this other girl (even though he was already married to Candice). He stayed in America like an extra year or so, total like 6. He finally came home only because he had heard that his wife had died. She died longing for him, as she was dying she wrote him a letter telling him to take care of himself. And when he actually finally got home, all he did was visit his wife's grave once and take his daughter with him to America. He stayed in his village with his family for only 1 day To make things worse he lied to his family about why it took him so long to come home. Then He lied to his family about why he wanted to go back to America. This on top of causing Candice's death
    WTF !!!!! - MOST HATED PROTAGANIST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THat totally went against what the series was about. Looked like they just threw the ending together last second just to have an "ending."
    Dai Hor didn't die in his homeland? I didn't think he was the type to move to America with 9 Gun? He looked awesome in the opening them, the aging, frail yet respected patriarch of the family. I saw a scene where the whole family was weeping by a grave in a clearing, and that chubby lady who I took to be his wife was crying hysterically - I thought he died and was buried in his homeland.

Is this the serial where Lam Chiwing was having dinner with his family in some coffee house in the West, and his sister wanted to use the washroom and he, having unsuccessfully tried to explain to her how to read "man" and "woman", told her to measure the length of the word, and enter the door with the longer sign? In the end it said "ladies" and "gentlemen" and she almost entered the wrong door if a man hadn't come out as she was going in and showed her the right door.

I have never liked Lam Chiwing - he has the looks of a spoilt, unscrupulous playboy, and has a bit of an ... Innsmouth (for lack of a better word.. fishy) look about him. That piece of turd married Candice Yu and left her to pine to death in the village? Somehow, based on what you've described, I'm going to feel rather upset if I watched this, sat through all the long suffering story only to see the good guys get nothing at the end and that idiot ride off into the sunset. Maybe it's part of the theme as well - a few fortunate ones escaping the cycle and being ungrateful for the opportunity, forgetting their roots, in contrast with Dai Hor. After all, that's a very real side of human nature.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 10-26-07 at 06:06 AM.

How about 6 Gun? He looked like the honest, hardworking type in the opening theme.

Dai Hor didn't die in his homeland? I didn't think he was the type to move to America with 9 Gun? He looked awesome in the opening them, the aging, frail yet respected patriarch of the family. I saw a scene where the whole family was weeping by a grave in a clearing, and that chubby lady who I took to be his wife was crying hysterically - I thought he died and was buried in his homeland.

Is this the serial where Lam Chiwing was having dinner with his family in some coffee house in the West, and his sister wanted to use the washroom and he, having unsuccessfully tried to explain to her how to read "man" and "woman", told her to measure the length of the word, and enter the door with the longer sign? In the end it said "ladies" and "gentlemen" and she almost entered the wrong door if a man hadn't come out as she was going in and showed her the right door.

I have never liked Lam Chiwing - he has the looks of a spoilt, unscrupulous playboy, and has a bit of an ... Innsmouth (for lack of a better word.. fishy) look about him. That piece of turd married Candice Yu and left her to pine to death in the village? Somehow, based on what you've described, I'm going to feel rather upset if I watched this, sat through all the long suffering story only to see the good guys get nothing at the end and that idiot ride off into the sunset. Maybe it's part of the theme as well - a few fortunate ones escaping the cycle and being ungrateful for the opportunity, forgetting their roots, in contrast with Dai Hor. After all, that's a very real side of human nature.
    6 Gun's story was pretty much resolved. The only conflict he had in Part III was 2 Hor threatening and forcing him to manage the gambling ring. He also tried threatened to execute 6 Gun if he didn't make his sister marry the boss (2 Hor's boss). Fortunately Poon Chi Man got that issue resolved. 6 Gun and the parents were my favorite characters in the entire series. Like you, I really appreciated their hard work and honesty. Too bad though, that they were more secondary characters compared to 9 Gun and Poon Chi Man.

Dai Hor died in Macau. As shown in the series, historically there was a period of prolonged drought that ruined the land for many farmers. They were not able to grow any food and hence had to live off of tree leaves and hot water. Hence many people migrated out of China, to places Malaysia or as Dai Hor's family Macau. Dai hor died in Macau, it was a very touching scene in that besides asking his family to bring him back home he also asked to eat a type of fruit that was prevalent in his home village. THey got him the fruit, he took one bite and remarked, "Home is still the best" (referring to the fruit and life overall). They eventually took his body (or ashes forgot which) home, the funeral scene took place in the village.

That "man" "Woman" bathroom scene was Part III of the series, hte one where 9 Gun was in America. Yeah I never liked that actor since I first saw "Police Story" as a kid. After watching "Fatherland" I did some research and had found out that he was kind of ATV's Big Brother with series like "Chamelon", "Fow Sung Lok Gip", and "Hong Kong Gentleman" Can't really judge the acting skills but the guy does look like a slimeball (perfect casting for 9 GUn )

While in Macau, while the family was struggling to make ends meet he volunteered to have his rights sold to America for 5 years (Cantonese: "Mai jue Jie"). He did scored some points with me there, doing that for his family. Candice told him that she would wait for him to come back, he told her not to wait for him and that she should find another man for marriage. Candice was really upset. THe next day, a rich man saw and like Candice, he told Candice that if she married him he would take care of her and her father. Realizing that she was not going to be wiht 9 Gun and that her father needs to be taken care of (they were poor like everyone else, the father even had to resort to stealing food), she accepted. When 9 Gun found out, he got pissed of at Candice, refusing to talk to her (this after he had just told her not to wait for him !!!!). 9 Gun's parents and 6 Gun, seeing that they were breaking up two lovers asked Candice's father permission for Candice to marry 9 Gun. He said yes, and 9 Gun and Candice got married that night. It was an emotional scene as they cried and embraced each other. Candice told him that he had to come home safely in 5 years, that he cannot be late for even one second. It was a very emotional scene.

The next day he went off to America. As mentioned before, after all that he had the balls to mess around with another lady in America. Even worse neglecting Candice

Yeah I never liked that actor since I first saw "Police Story" as a kid. After watching "Fatherland" I did some research and had found out that he was kind of ATV's Big Brother with series like "Chamelon", "Fow Sung Lok Gip", and "Hong Kong Gentleman" Can't really judge the acting skills but the guy does look like a slimeball (perfect casting for 9 GUn )
    I remember nothing much about the 70s ATV serials other than the fact my whole family detested Lam Chiwing. I thin kit was Chameleon, when he was called Ah Sing, with Poon Chi Man as Ah Lap. Ah Sing was always mentioned in disgusted terms... I also recall this serial where he was this Chinese officer, and he had gotten his hands on this machine gun and was maniacally gunning down the bunch of rebels who were charging his line (the rebels were good guys, I think, with probably hero-like people like Ng Wai Kwok or Poon Chi Man in their number). The way he was laughing sadistically while operating that feeder was just typical Lam Chiwing. Say what we like - he's a brilliant actor. Unlike Gallen Lo and Deric Wan who can play good guys and look good while being the most base evil type of scum, Lam Chiwing just happens to be born looking like a scumbag fish.

I just got the Tsui Siu Ming CD set, together with the ATV 50th Anniversary set. Tsui Siu Ming doesn't look much like the main bad guy in Super Hero, though, I think it's a different person.

The Tsui Siu Ming set is pretty nice - a solid cardboard box sleeve with a half-yinyang hole cut in the centre, so when you insert the CD case in you Tsui Siu Ming's face peeks out portrait style. It's nice and feels expensive and classic.

With the songs, the ones which wargods listed are the main themesongs, but the rest of the songs are actually quite listenable - if you like Tsui Siu Ming's style. If you like Tiger Hill Trail and it's jolly subtheme, you should have no trouble liking the rest of the CDs. Some of them are more classic Chinese than others, none are particularly memorable, but while the CD is playing it's very pleasant. I've not listened to the whole 3 CDs yet, but the entire 1st CD follows either a classic Chinese style, a wacky jolly style as in Tiger Hill Trail's subtheme, or a heroic feel like Tiger's main theme. I'll update everyone once I've finished all three CDs......
    I am really glad that you like the CD, even though I hate Tsui Siu Ming.
    But boy, RM200 of administration fees....this is just crazy. If you are looking for other atv songs, please feel free to ask.

EDIT: Btw, the ATV theme/sub songs that are sung by Deric Wan are not released to cd. I am still waiting for Crown Records to release them. But since the death of the founder (Mr. Lau Dung) of the company in 2001, they did not release as many as before. The releases are horrible because they added URD-FX technology which basically increases the volume of the songs, but it actually made the sound quality worse. Recently, the wife of the founder was dead as well, I wonder what their kids are going to do for the their company.....
    Last edited by wargods; 10-28-07 at 01:09 AM.

Is this Tsui Siu Ming guy the main bad guy in "super hero?"
    That chap is Tsui Yi Ngau (no relation to www.tucows.com), a rather brilliant actor who I haven't seen around as much as I would have liked to.

That chap is Tsui Yi Ngau (no relation to www.tucows.com), a rather brilliant actor who I haven't seen around as much as I would have liked to.

Yeah, I only remember having seen him in "THe Fist", "Legendary Fok", "Prime Minister Zhuge," "The rise of the Great Wall" and"Super Hero"

Tsui Siu Ming is actually CHen ZHen's martial nephew from "The Fist." I think that's the only time I've ever seen him in a series.

Yeah, I only remember having seen him in "THe Fist", "Legendary Fok", "Prime Minister Zhuge," "The rise of the Great Wall" and"Super Hero"

Tsui Siu Ming is actually CHen ZHen's martial nephew from "The Fist." I think that's the only time I've ever seen him in a series.
    Tucows was also had a minor role in Tiger Hill Trail as one of Lei King Teen's flunkies, and looked quite scary in his eunuch makeup. He was also Li Shimin's advisor in Empress Wu (the one who advised Li on the dangers of Wu) and Patrick Tse's 2nd brother in God of Gamblers 1996 (or thereabouts) when he picked the 2nd of spades from the rain of cards - one of the coolest scenes I've ever seen in Gambling serials.

He also guest-starred in MDWAV (and iirc, MDWAV2 as well) as the man in white who led the newly departed to their destination.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 10-31-07 at 10:35 PM.

Default ATV 50th Anniversary Concert Special CD

Just listened to the CD that came with the ATV 50th Anniversary Live Concert Special CD. The CD is just a live recording of the performances. Just some thoughts:

1) Amy Chan, WOW! Almost always, a singer's live performance does not sound as good as his/her singing done in a studio (the version found on non-live CDs). But man, she sung the theme from “Water Legend” and “The Good Old Days” in this live performance even better than she sung them for the TV series (the version played at the beginning of each episode of the series). The versions played in the TV series were already pretty damn good. Having improved since 1996 (the year she sung “The Good Old Days”) is natural, but to a point where live is noticeably better than studio recording version is really amazing. It says so much about her professionalism as a singer when she actually improved so much on top of her already very, very good 1996 singing skills.

2) That Man Chi Kit has a very unique and good voice. He sung the theme for “the Snow is Red” and another song that was the only song that Roman Tam ever recorded for “ATV.” That Roman Tam song is pretty good, very modern sounding. Does anybody know at what point in time did Roman Tam sang for ATV? Also, pay attention to Man Chi Kit’s version of the theme from TVB’s “Looking Back in Anger.” His voice was almost perfect for that song.

3) Tsui Siu Ming’s live performance singing was noticeably not as good as his studio recording singing (the versions played at the beginning of each TV series episode). In this live performance he sang the theme from “Fatherland” and “The rise of the Great Wall.” I know he didn’t originally sing these themes for the TV series. I am judging his singing of these songs against his studio recording versions of the themes from “the Fist” and “Super hero.” A main reason/possibility may be just that he hasn’t had time to work on his singing much, with him being so busy as a producer. Nonetheless he is still a pretty good singer. Lots of stage presence, so very enthused. And we all know what a good song-writer he is.

I'm so happy. I came upon this CD in a music shop while window shopping. It's the only set left and the shop was selling it at half price. This was so unexpected. Hope I'll have another lucky encounter like this and stumble on the ATV Anniversary CD.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.malmusic.com/images/cover/WMCD2601.jpg')

http://www.malmusic.com/detail.asp?P...MCD2601&lang=C

This boxset consist mostly of ATV newer themesongs. It has 3 CDs altogether.

I did ask the shop whether they have the Anniversary CD, but they said don't have.

cam on ban nhe