Thread: SOD: Sword vs Qi in your opinion

Default SOD: Sword vs Qi in your opinion

From Lanny Lin's Translation of JY's SOD Chapter 9:

"That's correct. In our Huashan Sword School style Kung Fu, the key lies in the words 'Inner Energy.' Once your inner energy is developed with Qi-Gong practices, then regardless of what you use as your weapon, let be your fists and legs, or knives and swords, you will succeed whenever you go. That is the righteous way for training in our school. But among the senior grandmasters of our school, there were a group of people who believed that the key of our school's Kung Fu lied in the word 'Sword,' and that once someone developed his sword skills, even with ordinary level of inner energy, he could still defeat the enemy. The main divergence between the righteous branch and the evil branch lies right here."

"Dad, I have a comment. Promise me that you won't get mad at me," Yue Lingshan interrupted again.

"What comment?" Yue Buqun asked.

"I think in our school's Kung Fu, no doubt inner energy part is critical, but we can't overlook sword skills either. If one only has great inner energy, but doesn't have good sword skills, he still won't be able to demonstrate the power of our Huashan style Kung Fu," Yue Lingshan said.
    Regardless of how the story goes in SOD, what is your choice if you are to learn sword technique? Do you agree with Yue Buqun and emphasize on Qi-Gong, or do you follow Feng Buping and emphasize on Sword style, or do you actually want to combine them just like what Yue Lingshan suggested?

Cool Replies

Mainly Qi, HuangShang and MingCult is a good example.

do like DGQB and abandon sword tecniques for extreme qi and power
    seemed to work marvelously for him and YG
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Both are good, but I think there is a limit on what you can achieve with just sword, while your physical ability can be greatly enhanced with chi.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

personally, I prefer qi branch, can u imagine if one can reach internal energy to sweeper monk's level, why bother to use sword anymore.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

for success u definelty need both...but personlly, i perfer sword. Qi won't get u great sucess (unless u hit some treasure like yJj or bei ming or 9 yin/yang) until u get older while sword allows u to progress faster in ur earlier days. and for me, i'd rather be young and famous rather than old and famous :P

Nobody interested to follow Yue Lingshan's suggestion?

You can't. This isn't simple about whether you cultivate chi at the expense of technique or technique at the expense of chi. It's about which LEADS, the sword or the chi.

Obviously both can't be leading each other so one has to be doing the leading.

You can easily tell that YBQ has very good techniques and the leader of the Sword had good internal energy as well, however the emphasis was different.

One uses internal energy to drive the sword into an attack while the other drives the sword into an attack and powers it with chi.

Personally I prefer the Sword since I can apply that theory even to things like 6MSJ (i.e. I choose where to strike and the chi follows) AND DG9J while keeping personal control over the sword.