Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Zhang Ziyi!

why do you guys think ZZY is past her used by date?
    ZZY is far more successful and popular than your idols at the moment. despite her lack lustre performance in Memoirs of a Geisha, her acting talent is still better than the majority of the drama series actresses. there are great actresses who bombed out once or twice (eg Halle Berry in Catwoman, Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux), but they're still recognised as talents. ZZY is still marketable in the western markets as given by this latest news (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060606k.php).
    If you don't like my flag, then you can kiss my rebel a55

Aeon flux was good

Quote Originally Posted by NetDriftr
    ZZY is still marketable in the western markets as given by this latest news (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060606k.php).
    Yes, she is still marketable mainly because there is no other asian actress as famous as her in hollywood right now.
    BTW, i don't really have faith in hollywood doing productions of this type (especially portraying Asian legends/history) nowadays, they almost always tend to focus more on the decorative frame of the movie (the CGI, sets, props, music, grandness etc.) and disregard the acting and plot. For example, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Last Samurai etc. And the feeling those productions left me is one of fake fantasy, not emotional realism.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    Yes, she is still marketable mainly because there is no other asian actress as famous as her in hollywood right now.
    BTW, i don't really have faith in hollywood doing productions of this type (especially portraying Asian legends/history) nowadays, they almost always tend to focus more on the decorative frame of the movie (the CGI, sets, props, music, grandness etc.) and disregard the acting and plot. For example, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Last Samurai etc. And the feeling those productions left me is one of fake fantasy, not emotional realism.
    Haven't seen the Last Samurai, but from the hollywood asian films i have seen, i'm really disappointed and i don't know why usa actually likes stuff like that. Most of the chinese legend and things are made into a fantasy thing, and the plot is always weak. ZZY hasn't performed exceptionally for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    . ZZY hasn't performed exceptionally for a long time
    I actually much prefer her acting in chinese productions like in "The Road Home", "Crouching Tiger..", "2046" etc. She was not bad in "House of Flying Daggers" too. I find her acting pretty unnatural and boring to watch in hollywood productions though..maybe because she's not as comfortable as being in her mother tongue or maybe the roles given to her in western productions are just boring by nature.

Wise Fool

I actually much prefer her acting in chinese productions like in "The Road Home", "Crouching Tiger..", "2046" etc. She was not bad in "House of Flying Daggers" too. I find her acting pretty unnatural and boring to watch in hollywood productions though..maybe because she's not as comfortable as being in her mother tongue or maybe the roles given to her in western productions are just boring by nature.
    I thought ZZY was alright in Crouching Tiger, but her performance in Memoirs of a Geisha was a shocker. Although the english didn't do much to help her. didn't find her fabulous in House of Flying Daggers either, although the terrible plot and the ENGLISH themesong was a big put off.

Asians tend to be stereotyped as karate chopping psychos or nerds in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeneshii
    Asians tend to be stereotyped as karate chopping psychos or nerds in Hollywood.
    Except ZZY

she's meant to be hot, gorgeous, exotic and beautiful

i beg to differ - i've enjoyed Hero and House of Flying Daggers. The Last Samurai had no acting? how can you say that when Ken Watanabe was nominated for best supporting actor? your emotional realism must be higher than mine because i was certainly moved by the romanticism of the samurai against changing social and political climates.

its ironic that you say 'fake fantasy' when wuxia is fantasy - and from watching ROCH06, HSDS03 and DGSD03 i hope you were kidding if you thought the acting, directions and productions were realistic fantasy and had emotional realism. body surfing in ancient time? not removing the hand grab scene in a major production series?? the fact the lead characters were disconnected and had no onscreen chemistry? and dont get me started on the cgi/sfx, props and sound editing....

ts ironic that you say 'fake fantasy' when wuxia is fantasy - and from watching ROCH06, HSDS03 and DGSD03
    i think you picked the wrong examples

sunny didn't like ROCH or DGSD

*shrug* they seemed popular with most of SPCNET users

*shrug* they seemed popular with most of SPCNET users
    yea, but sunny is a more intelligent than those fooled by good eyecandy

i admit, DGSD, HSDS and ROCH had the best looking female casts... but apart from that, only 80s series have the same classic wuxia feel. Plus XAJH 01

i beg to differ - i've enjoyed Hero and House of Flying Daggers. The Last Samurai had no acting? how can you say that when Ken Watanabe was nominated for best supporting actor? your emotional realism must be higher than mine because i was certainly moved by the romanticism of the samurai against changing social and political climates.

its ironic that you say 'fake fantasy' when wuxia is fantasy - and from watching ROCH06, HSDS03 and DGSD03 i hope you were kidding if you thought the acting, directions and productions were realistic fantasy and had emotional realism. body surfing in ancient time? not removing the hand grab scene in a major production series?? the fact the lead characters were disconnected and had no onscreen chemistry? and dont get me started on the cgi/sfx, props and sound editing....
    I'm biased towards the last samurai cos parts of it was filmed 5min from my house
    Hero was disappointing after all the hype from the newspapers... -_-
    I still like swordsman II <:

Apart from Ken Watanabe, I wouldn't say the rest of the cast were anywhere above average. And one of the last things i would use to judge a person's acting (or in fact, how good a show, score piece etc) would be whatever awards he/she is nominated for, not all nominees are deserving (Not referring to Ken W though). Some people must have thought ZZY did a brilliant job for Memoirs since she was nominated Best Actress for the Golden Globes. And Jay Chou's acting must have been good to most people since he got Best Newcomer at The Golden Horse and whatever awards.

The Last Samurai touched you but it didnt for me. The whole sterotypical white hero comes to the rescue of the weakless Samurais just irked the heck out of me. The film basically used a part of Japanese History to elevate the status of the whites when what happened during the Meiji Restoration was very much the opposite. But then again, it's solely my view and i don't beg for anyone to agree with me.

BTW, Hero and House of Flying Daggers are not hollywood productions. Though Hero was very artistic in style and emphasized alot on fancifulness, i found the plot deep, characterization unique and acting emotional and realistic. In short, Zhang Yimou focused on all aspects of the movie, not solely on the framing devices. I actually much prefer his earlier works with Gong Li in it; simple, realistic, thought-provoking and touching.

I never claimed that Wuxia is not fantasy. And i never thought wuxia productions realistic. BTW, i'm not a fan of ROCH06, HSDS03 or DGSD03..if anything, i found them mediocre and thought the CGI especially in ROCH06 a huge put off.

How well you know me 0-0-0

yea, but sunny is a more intelligent than those fooled by good eyecandy
    And thanks for giving me so much more credit than others do.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 06-08-06 at 09:27 AM.

Wise Fool

Zhang Zi Yi- has a smart agent

I think she acted better in Flying Daggers... since i could see her eyes faking he blindness. However, Memoirs.. i just can't stand how hollywood basically grabs every person who is non white and non black and labels them jap, chinese, etc. They used all three chinese actresses to play in a jap movie
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Zhang Zi Yi- has a smart agent

I think she acted better in Flying Daggers... since i could see her eyes faking he blindness. However, Memoirs.. i just can't stand how hollywood basically grabs every person who is non white and non black and labels them jap, chinese, etc. They used all three chinese actresses to play in a jap movie
    she sure does have a smart agent. isn't her agent her brother?

Except ZZY

she's meant to be hot, gorgeous, exotic and beautiful
    westerners, i guess always regard something that are new to them exotic....

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Paris Hilton is awfully disgusting has the look of a typical blonde pr0n star

here's something we can both agree on

well, Paris Hilton is half way on her the road to becoming a P star?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I dont know incomparable is the word I'd use to describe ZZY.

Those who say she can't act for crap need to stand back and watch her performance in 2046.
    That movie was really something...