Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Ziyi!

Quote Originally Posted by sw33t_angel
    ohh really. wat is it abt? is it release everywhere or just in large town? most of her movie doesn't get release in our town, so i's just wandering.
    This film is sure to get a very wide release. If you live in California and have a theater in your town, then I'm sure you won't have a problem seeing it.

For more info, including synopsis, news, pictures, etc, check the link: Memoirs of a Geisha
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Thumbs up Bro. Long's Review

Liked reading your reviews. Copied them for further study. I am interested in what you'll say about Musa the Warrior ----you've already hinted that you will not be complimentary with House of Flying Daggers. Can't imagine why. Beautiful scenery and a surprise ending!!
    Ziyi is absolutely stunning in that green outfit.
    It's a pity that there is such a great time lag for Asian movies to hit the states, and when they do they play mainly in metro areas not this little old town without even a stoplight.
    I manage to keep abreast of Asian box office hits by purchasing my videos directly from HK, even then there is a big time gap.
    Have you reviewed "Be with you"?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    This film is sure to get a very wide release. If you live in California and have a theater in your town, then I'm sure you won't have a problem seeing it.

For more info, including synopsis, news, pictures, etc, check the link: Memoirs of a Geisha
    thanx alot, and i do live in california. i have been hearding alot abt it, can't wait till it comes out in december.
    :*'-'* sw33t_anGeL *'-'*:

Seems many foreigners like her, but many Mainland Chinese don't.

Quote Originally Posted by estima
    Seems many foreigners like her, but many Mainland Chinese don't.

I know! I wonder why? and how she feels about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    December 2005

Recently released poster...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://csc.ziyi.org/filmography/memoirs/gallery/memoirs001.jpg')

Just wondering if anyone noticed and knew why HER EYES ARE BLUE in this this picture? Isn't she supposed to play a Japanese girl?

yes she is. but in the book, the character had grey eyes that changed colors depending on her mood, so it was really unique.

actually im quite disappointed that she is chosen to play the role of a japanese geisha. but oh well, who am i to call it right? i just do kind of think she's a bit overrated.

Default actually im quite disappointed that she is chosen to play the role of a japanese geis

Begging your pardon.
    This promises to be an all time classic; with three of my all time favorite actresses.

Any Japanese actresses here??

Michelle Yeoh---my all time number 1----as the infamous Mahema not necessarily the prettiest but the most cunning.
    Gong Li as Hatsumomo--- pretty but vicious
    Zhang Ziyi---as Chiyo/Sayuri the alluring protege

Has anyone heard who will play the parts of Pumpkin and Satsu???

Default zhang ziyi

she's not extraordinary in looks but she does have a cute innocent natural soft look that represents asian women in all its feminity. since some people are comparing zhang ziyi to vicki zhao, i would think zhang ziyi is prettier. vicki is cute but nothing special in her looks. i wouldn't want her to represent asian beauty. in terms of ziyi's acting, she is non-versatile at least in the movies i've seen, same stone cold look with not much dialogue and plus she has an attitude. overrated

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    I know! I wonder why? and how she feels about this?
    she doesnt seem to care. in fact she's on such bad terms with chinese reporters such that most mainland and HK audiences hate her.

i've watched the trailer for memoirs and i think she's alright as Sayuri. Ziyi is pretty no doubt and she has that classic oriental chinese look. however, i think a japanese actress would be more suited for the role? i still seem to keep seeing Ziyi, a chinese ancient beauty in kimono instead. i dunno abt u guys bt i think she's well suited to act as Xiao Long Nu, she's pretty, fair, has that cold aura, a little of that innocence etc.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

really? i dont think she'd fit as XLN lol. just my opinion.

but yes dogwood, there are some some japanese ACTORS, and actresses too, such as the young Chiyo/Sayuri, and i believe pumpkin is played by a japanese actress as well, the younger and older.

i like michelle too, though i cant see her as the role. mahema isnt cunning though, nor is she infamous. at least i didn't think so in the book.

but anyways, if you want to know what the stars, pumpkin and satsu look like, im sure there's a page from soompi.

yeah, dont think there are that many paraelles between zhang ziyi and zhao wei aside from the fact that they're both famous actresses in china. zhang is sort of the international movie star, very selective about what kind of films she chooses to particapate in. as for zhao, i've also thought of her as a celebrity more than a accomplished actress. even though zhao is a few years older, she's seen as an 'idol' type more than zhang. as for the acting, i definetely think zhang has much more screen presence and appeal as a actress.

Default *Ziyi Zhang*

Ziyi Zhang

I find her pretty in House Of Flying Daggers Can't wait for Memoirs Of Geisha to come out
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

I don't get it...for Memoirs of a Geishaa does she speak english....
    Last edited by funnybunny; 11-29-05 at 02:54 AM.

yes she does and very poor English too, though it's understandable.

anyway there's already a thread on her here:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=6604
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Default yeah she's beautiful

she's cute especially in house of flying daggers and crounching tiger.
    Anyone playing Ragnarok Online xD.......

I don't see any resemblance between Vicki and Ziyi. However as someone has already mentioned--- Ziyi does favor Gong Li. Some may disagree, but the same facial characteristics and mannerisms are there. Maybe I noticed them because I wondered "Where's the connection?" when I heard about the director that is rumored to have had an affair with both stars.
    If Ziyi carried around about ten extra pounds maybe the resemblance would become more obivious.

As for Michelle as Mameha---
    She takes Chiyo under her care on behalf of the chairman and keeps it a secret.
    She places a bet with Mother and then proceeds to engineer a "jackpot"
    She engineers an illusion to bid up the price on Sayuri
    She shadows Hatsumomo to the point where Hatsumomo has a breakdown and is toss out on the street.

And through all this she remains the dignified "poster girl"----or as Hatsumomo puts it ---"Little Miss Perfect"

See ya at the Movies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dogwood457
    I don't see any resemblance between Vicki and Ziyi. However as someone has already mentioned--- Ziyi does favor Gong Li. Some may disagree, but the same facial characteristics and mannerisms are there. Maybe I noticed them because I wondered "Where's the connection?" when I heard about the director that is rumored to have had an affair with both stars.
    If Ziyi carried around about ten extra pounds maybe the resemblance would become more obivious.

As for Michelle as Mameha---
    She takes Chiyo under her care on behalf of the chairman and keeps it a secret.
    She places a bet with Mother and then proceeds to engineer a "jackpot"
    She engineers an illusion to bid up the price on Sayuri
    She shadows Hatsumomo to the point where Hatsumomo has a breakdown and is toss out on the street.

And through all this she remains the dignified "poster girl"----or as Hatsumomo puts it ---"Little Miss Perfect"

See ya at the Movies!!!
    Excellent portrayal of Mameha.

I think Ziyi has good dancing skills for the role, but in terms character and portrayal of Chiyo, I don't think she fits the role well. The only resemblances I found within the real life Ziyi and Chiyo is that both led a difficult life before rising to extraordinary fame, and both are quite emotional being. However, I found Chiyo to be more endearing, though she doesn't make the best decisions in life most of the time and her character is weaker compared to Ziyi. Most of the time, Chiyo is pushed around by fate, while Ziyi would overcome the hurdles. I found Ziyi too strong to be endearing or humane.

I found Vicki more beautiful as a person, not in looks. Her beauty stems from being pure, but that was years ago when she's still a Little Swallow. Sexiness doesn't suit Vicki well.

i do wonder why people always compare the two? i cant quite see the resemblance. hehe.

From my observation everyone who is Famous in China ALWAYS on bad terms with chinese media.
    From famous Wang Fei, to Gong Li, ZhaoWei, ZZY, even Takeshi Kaneshiro.

As for ZZY and ZW
    ZZY have a more traditional asian appearance, closely resemble Gongli.
    Whereas ZW look is more western-asian look.

ZZY and ZW entered en tertainment world from 2 different direction, one from Film while other from TV drama.
    I think many unable to let go of ZW's famous role XiaoYanZi, always see her as XYZ rather than ZW-the actress.
    Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Richelieu
    English dramatist, novelist, & politician (1803 - 1873)