Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhang Ziyi!

I'm not a fan at all of ZiYi. While I'll admit she is somewhat pretty, she isn't as gorgeous as people say she is. Secondly, her acting isn't completely horrible, but to me, it seems fake. It feels like she puts in too much effort, and it gets completely ruined.

I also don't like her attitude. I saw an interview with her once, and the aura she gave off just didn't agree with me. She sounded so pompous and overly self-assured that it annoyed me pretty early into the show.

I find that she doesn't deserve the large paychecks she gets. True, she's not horrible, but she's not good either. I think there are so many more artists out there that are more deserving of an international fame than she is.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

Originally posted by CrazyLilAngel
    I'm not a fan at all of ZiYi. While I'll admit she is somewhat pretty, she isn't as gorgeous as people say she is. Secondly, her acting isn't completely horrible, but to me, it seems fake. It feels like she puts in too much effort, and it gets completely ruined.

I also don't like her attitude. I saw an interview with her once, and the aura she gave off just didn't agree with me. She sounded so pompous and overly self-assured that it annoyed me pretty early into the show.

I find that she doesn't deserve the large paychecks she gets. True, she's not horrible, but she's not good either. I think there are so many more artists out there that are more deserving of an international fame than she is.
    I totally agree with you on this Tina. You say everything I wanted to say. I'm just too lazy to type everything out. Actually, I wouldn't have said it better than you. ZZY's all right, but she need to shaken up with her acting and attitude. Don't stuck up your nose and look down at other ppl just because you act in Hollywood. It makes me feel disgusted.

In Alec's Heart 0=) Title: Alec's #1 Fan!

Bingo! haha thanks for saying what i wanted to say!! saves my fingers big time!
    Alec Su Forever!!

~Bratty Princess Rox~

[Jay Chou]~[JJ Lin]~[S.H.E]~[Jolin Cai]~[Se7en]~[DBSG]

What do you guys think accounts for the success and international fame that she has enjoyed? Having scanned through this thread, many here seem to agree that she's not the best looking, is not the most talented actress, and does not have the best personality. Even her English isn't all that great. So what is it exactly about her that puts her a cut above the rest in terms of popularity(even those who are better looking AND more talented)? Is it mostly luck? Good networking skills? A mostly stupid and blind audience()?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

she was lucky to be put on cthd. if another prettier and more talented actress was put on cthd, that person would be just as popular as Ziyi or even more popular.

i heard that the director or someone said she looks like Gong Li, haha... i never think she looks like gong Li, not even close. maybe i have bad judgement in girls' looks, but i think Gong Li looks so much prettier than her.

I heard that Zhang Ziyi was very, very assertive, and that's how she got the role in CTHD, even though there were many other girls much more beautiful than she is. I guess one has to make one's own luck sometimes.

I don't think Gong Li is that good looking either. However, Gong Li is at least a wonderful actress.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 02-22-04 at 05:26 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

she's successful in the way that she has made a name for herself in hollywood unlike most other chinese actresses but she is no way incomparable. there are so many people out there that look better than her and act better.
    飄移

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

whoa....u guys are so rite i have to butt in and post another comment.....LOL....and yeah, she has to work out on her attitude.....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

For the sake of argument, assuming that Ziyi does have a "bad attitude," what explains the enormous popularity and success she enjoys in China?

I would suggest that negative rumors about her personality are just rumors started by the media to sell tabloid trash which is spread among and believed by the haters. Everything points to the contrary. Afterall, Ziyi's been repeatedly voted one of China's Four Famous Actresses, she was ranked one of the 50 Most Influencial Individuals in the Chinese Entertainment Industry and was voted in as the youngest member ever of the very influential China Film Foundation.

If the negative rumors about Ziyi's personality are true, what explains the enormous popularity and success she enjoys in China?
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 02-22-04 at 12:48 PM.
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Does it really because of CTHD so good that makes it famous? Well, if I were to say it, I would say that the movie really isn't that good. The reason it even got famous because it's new to the American viewer's eyes. Come on, be honest to yourself, when is the last time before CTHD did any of you even see an ancient fighting movie airing in American theatre? Hence, when the movie hit America, people are curious so they went and check them out. And because those unfamiliar movement that were in the movie, people were intrigued and thought that the movie was pretty cool. However, if Chinese or asian people like us went and watch it, we see that it's pretty normal compares to ancient fighting series we normally see. Together, because of so many viewer checking them out, they have a high box office and got nominated for oscars. Then when you're famous in America, of course you will be famous in your own country for they assume that if you famous in America, then that mean you're pretty damn good of an actor/actress. You will then will be given many movie to film, which makes your popularity rising.

i thought cthd wasn't that good. but it was ok, i kinda liked it. yea i saw those kind of movies many times. there is also a series called cthd, is taht series made after the movie?

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Originally posted by Ding Ding Dong Dong
    i thought cthd wasn't that good. but it was ok, i kinda liked it. yea i saw those kind of movies many times. there is also a series called cthd, is taht series made after the movie?
    yea, it is made after the movies....considering how well-accepted the movie was.....

but i still hate it just the same....the fighting scene on the bamboo trees makes me wanna puke and then die of laughter......without the exaggerated flying thingy, CHTD might have been a good production after all, maybe even loved by Asians the same way it is loved by Westerns. If only the fights are more believable.....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

James Schamus, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon screenwriter:

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a phenomenon in Asia as well as in America. It won Taiwan's equivalent of the best picture Academy Award and was last year's top-grossing Chinese-language film in Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea and Taiwan."

[C][o][e][y], assuming for a moment that what you say is true -- that only non-Chinese were interested in this film and drove up box office interest -- how do you explain Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, as a Chinese language film, winning 8 Hong Kong Film Awards, 3 Golden Bauhinia Awards (Hong Kong), 6 Golden Horse Film Awards (Taiwan) and doing extremely well or even breaking box office records throughout Asian?

That Chinese speaking movie-goers familiar with wuxia were not interested in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is yet another myth not supported by facts...

Originally posted by Southern Crane
    For the sake of argument, assuming that Ziyi does have a "bad attitude," what explains the enormous popularity and success she enjoys in China?

I would suggest that negative rumors about her personality are just rumors started by the media to sell tabloid trash which is spread among and believed by the haters. Everything points to the contrary. Afterall, Ziyi's been repeatedly voted one of China's Four Famous Actresses, she was ranked one of the 50 Most Influencial Individuals in the Chinese Entertainment Industry and was voted in as the youngest member ever of the very influential China Film Foundation.

If the negative rumors about Ziyi's personality are true, what explains the enormous popularity and success she enjoys in China?
    Just because one is popular and famous doesn't automatically mean that she's nice, humble and sincere. Do everyone in China know her personally? No, they just saw her in movies, magazines, promotions, commercials. She's a celebrity coz she obviously has talent and beauty but not necessarily personality-wise.

*bows* Why thank you! I'm so glad many people agree with me. :P

I agree with what someone said. To be popular does not guarantee a good attitude.

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

I seen CTHD, Hero and Musa........personally I don't find anything special about her I think she is overrated and over exposed!

Originally posted by SkineePanda
    Just because one is popular and famous doesn't automatically mean that she's nice, humble and sincere. Do everyone in China know her personally? No, they just saw her in movies, magazines, promotions, commercials. She's a celebrity coz she obviously has talent and beauty but not necessarily personality-wise.
    Ditto ! And Just because one is popular and famous doesn't automaically mean that she's really talented as well! Take F4 (Taiwanese Boys group) for example...they are really popular and famous in China and thru out asia but even I got to admit that they can't act and sing that well and this is coming from a big fan of F4 !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Just the same, is there something you know for sure -- that the rest of us do not -- that does make Zhang Ziyi not nice, not humble and not sincere? Do you necessarily know her peronality-wise?

You're helping to make my point... How do any of the haters here know that she's anything but "nice, humble and sincere?"

Indications are that most think otherwise...
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 02-24-04 at 06:41 AM.

Originally posted by Southern Crane
    Just the same, is there something you know for sure -- that the rest of us do not -- that does make Zhang Ziyi not nice, not humble and not sincere? Do you necessarily know her peronality-wise?

You're helping to make my point... How do any of the haters here know that she's anything but "nice, humble and sincere?"

Indications are that most think otherwise...
    Uhhhhhh.....did I actually say that she wasn't nice and all that. I'm just making a point that fame is fame. It makes you well-known but it doesn't mean that you're a nice person as well. Maybe she isn't, I wouldn't know. But you do realize that fame and fortune changes people right?

The indications don't mean shit, it only means that she's doing very well in her career. If she pulls a beggar out of a burning house, breast feeds a orphan baby, or cries watching a Disney movie, I'd say she's a nice person.

And yes I do agree she's hot.

Uhhhhhh.....did I actually say that she wasn't nice and all that. I'm just making a point that fame is fame. It makes you well-known but it doesn't mean that you're a nice person as well. Maybe she isn't, I wouldn't know. But you do realize that fame and fortune changes people right?

The indications don't mean shit, it only means that she's doing very well in her career. If she pulls a beggar out of a burning house, breast feeds a orphan baby, or cries watching a Disney movie, I'd say she's a nice person.

And yes I do agree she's hot.
    SkineePanda, can you or anyone else here honestly say from first hand experience that Zhang Ziyi isn't nice, humble and/or sincere? I can honestly say first hand that she's all three and more. My ultimate point being that there is very little to support all this negative trash talk about Ziyi's character and personality, especially when I know directly otherwise.

People are entitled to their opinions. In fact, they're welcomed -- even negative ones. But, when I know something not to be true -- just an unsupported rumor -- I'll press for support by asking questions. When it comes to Ziyi's character and personality, I'm sure I'm far more qualified than most to address what is and isn't true since I know her personally. Maybe that'll mean "shit" to you...

btw, given her humility, you would never hear of that beggar, orphan baby or Disney movie.

And do you know she's actually nice and humble?

Probably no more than we know she's not.

However, I gather my experience from interviews I've seen and from my observations of her acting. Maybe I'm off the mark maybe I'm not. It's what I've seen and felt.

And honestly, you can't judge celebrities by their charity work. Some celebrities really do it out of the goodness of their hearts while others do it because it's the politically correct thing to do, and it boosts their image.