Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Au Yeung Fung . . . another "teacher" of Gwok Jing?

Default Au Yeung Fung . . . another "teacher" of Gwok Jing?

West Poison Au Yeung Fung was never Gwok Jing's teacher in the same sense that Jebeh, the Gong Nam 7 Freaks, Ma Yuk, or North Beggar Hung 7 Gung were Gwok Jing's teachers. Au Yeung Fung was Gwok Jing's enemy, and tried to kill him on dozens of occassions during LOCH. Nevertheless, Gwok Jing gained valuable experience during his numerous battles with Au Yeung Fung, and these battles greatly enhanced not only Gwok Jing's martial arts skills, but his savvy as a combatant. One could argue that Gwok Jing's martial arts would not have advanced so quickly had Au Yeung Fung not been there to challenge him throughout LOCH. The Golden Wheel Monk in ROCH notwithstanding, Au Yeung Fung was Gwok Jing's greatest enemy.

Additionally, although he hated Gwok Jing for constantly thwarting his plans, Au Yeung Fung also respected Gwok Jing as he did few others . . . respecting the young man's character as well as his martial potential.

this is a tough topic, but i'm going to say no. rising to the challenge is more of a testament to GJ's ability rather than anything OYF did --- after all, if OYF wasn't the enemy of GJ, then someone else would be and GJ would rise to the challenge just the same. why? cuz he's the hero. as to OYF respecting GJ, well i guess that just shows a bit of a softer side of OYF...kind of the side he showed in ROCH, don't you think?

now, an example of something that you can't really argue is the effect of GF on YG. (not to highjack the post) there's no way YG would have been great if his arm wasn't chopped off and he wandered to the dugu cave.

but in conclusion, i'm going to say no --- OYF wasn't really a factor in GJ's kungfu growth.
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

I actually believed that West Poison was a factor in GJ's martial arts growth. Having such a powerful opponenent forced GJ to become better at martial arts. Without such a powerful opponent, GJ's martial arts would not have progressed as quickly- perhaps even not as much- as it did in LOCH. GJ would have had no motivation to advance his martial arts if he did not have such a powerful [and evil!] opponent.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

yes, i agree... i think Ou Yang Feng is the main drive factor for Guo Jing's fast improvement of his martial art. He is definitely not GUo Jing's 'teacher' but more like a provocator...the one that pushed Guo Jing to study what he has to study for him to survive all the battle with Ou Yang Feng. And i have to say that, our greatest enemy is actually the one we learned from the most......the same descibes Ou Yang Feng's influence in Guo Jing's life.....
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Originally posted by sixdays

now, an example of something that you can't really argue is the effect of GF on YG. (not to highjack the post) there's no way YG would have been great if his arm wasn't chopped off and he wandered to the dugu cave.
    didn't he already wandered there before his arm got chopped off? He would've went there again someday.

OYF(and maybe QQR) however forced GJ to grow as a martial artist but that doesn't mean he is the "teacher" of Guo Jing. I'd say OYF is GJ's "catalyst"
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

i think YG could of been just as great had he still had two arms then returned to dugu's burial cave.

If there were no OYF, GJ wouldn't have learned 9 yin (you know he didn't like it).
    When you feel like you're the POOREST man in the world ....
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

If auyeung fung is said as his "master", then i would say 1D should be his master aswel (trnaslating some of the 9 yin), nevertheless, KCR fought with GJ for a number of times, so he "should" be counted, also Lowantong CBT and ma yuk!

damm he has got a lot of terachers
    A dream that really comes true, cannot truly be called a dream.

Maybe OYF can be consider a semi-teacher of his that always wanted to kill him.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

OYF does influcence GJ's martial arts progression a bit, but i wouldn't go as far to say "teacher"...i mean, or else u might as well call GLFW a teacher of YG and XLN...

Originally posted by philip
    OYF does influcence GJ's martial arts progression a bit, but i wouldn't go as far to say "teacher"...i mean, or else u might as well call GLFW a teacher of YG and XLN...
    In a way, the Golden Wheel Monk was an important "teacher" for Yeung Gor as well. The Golden Wheel Monk pointed out to Yeung Gor that although he had a great breadth of kung fu skills, he wasn't really a master at any of them. I think Yeung Gor took this observation to heart, because he later eschewed the bits and parts of various martial arts he learned in favor of creating his own style, which he mastered.

I agree with Ardor on that OYF being GJ's "catalyst." He did not teach GJ any gongfu or give GJ any pointers, but by fighting and trying to kill GJ many times he sort of gave GJ valuable practices.

It depends on how you consider it. Do we take teeahcer as someone that interntionally teaches you, are anyone as long as they made you learn something?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by superboy
    It depends on how you consider it. Do we take teeahcer as someone that interntionally teaches you, are anyone as long as they made you learn something?
    For me, teacher is someone who intentionally teaches me, 'cause in a classroom I can also learn from my classmates, for example, but they are not really teachers to me. But that's just my opinion.

just becaues OYF was a great adversary of GJ's doesn't mean that OYF himself was the reason for GJ's growth. i firmly believe that ANY great fighter who became GJ's enemy would have the same effect on his growth...it's just that GJ rose to the challenge that OYF posed. if it were any other great figher, say kau cheen yan, he probably would have done similar things. of course, i'm not gonna say that it's EXACTLY the same because OYF and QQR are diff people...but you get the picture.

i do agree, on the other hand, that JLFW had an impact on YG's growth. i think that while he wasn't the greatest influence in YG's combining of kungfu (that honor goes to DGQB), JLFW was almost certainly the first martial arts master to give YG this sort of advice --- come to think of it, he was probably the only one who right out told YG that knowing lots of kungfu but mastering none is a bad idea. so yes, i agree with ken on this one. however, i don't believe that OYF did anything special like that to influence GJ --- he was simply a strong adversary. GJ had the makings of a hero in him already, he would have rosen to the challenge if he faced ANY enemy.

Cool Replies

6Day: just becaues OYF was a great adversary of GJ's doesn't mean that OYF himself was the reason for GJ's growth. i firmly believe that ANY great fighter who became GJ's enemy would have the same effect on his growth...it's just that GJ rose to the challenge that OYF posed. if it were any other great figher, say kau cheen yan, he probably would have done similar things.
    --- Still, OYF/(KauCheenYan)/etc are like arch-nemesis/arch-rivals, so they do "contribute" to GJ's development: nothing like competition. As for other worthy opponents, OYF was there for GJ and they(others) were not.

but was there anything special about OYF that especially contributed to GJ's growth? i can't see one, and that's why i'm saying that any other fighter who was "there" for GJ to fight would have helped him the same. every story has to have an antagonist -- it just happens that JY made OYF the antagonist in LOCH.

Originally posted by sixdays
    but was there anything special about OYF that especially contributed to GJ's growth? i can't see one, and that's why i'm saying that any other fighter who was "there" for GJ to fight would have helped him the same. every story has to have an antagonist -- it just happens that JY made OYF the antagonist in LOCH.
    It could have been anybody, but it wasn't. It was Au Yeung Fung. If Au Yeung Fung didn't exist, Gwok Jing's early career would have been defined fighting people like Leung Tze Yung, Sa Tung Teen, Pang Lin Fu . . . and maybe Kau Cheen Yan at best. Kau Cheen Yan was no minor challenge himself, but he was no Au Yeung Fung. Having Au Yeung Fung as an adversary, as well as having a number of lucky breaks in terms of finding good *real* instructors and martial arts, put Gwok Jing on the fast track towards Greatness himself.

that's unfair. i might as well say that if HS (Huang Shang) never existed, then GJ would become a mediocre fighter because 9yin didn't exist. the fact is, you could take OYF out and replace him with a fighter of his caliber --- say if JLFW took his place as the main villian. GJ would respond the same way, rise to the challenge, learn 9yin and HL18Z, and become the hero. however, if you took HS out and replaced him with WCY, GJ would still be screwed...because there would be no 9yin. if you took H7G out of GJ's life and replaced him with JLFW, GJ would be screwed because he couldn't learn HL18Z. however, if you took out OYF and replaced him with JLFW the result would be the same. that's why i say OYF is not necessarily important, while people like HS are.

Cool Replies

6Day: that's unfair. i might as well say that if HS (Huang Shang) never existed, then GJ would become a mediocre fighter because 9yin didn't exist. the fact is, you could take OYF out and replace him with a fighter of his caliber --- say if JLFW took his place as the main villian.
    --- Well, it does support the whatever theory that says the older periods are overall better than the later periods/dynasties. If Dugu got the chance to face JanitorMonk, I believe Dugu will be even better and maybe get a chance to defeat JM the second time.