Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Most Injured Hero in JY's Universe

Di Yun (Cantonese: Dik Wan) would be a worth contender in any type of suffering scenario.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Di Yun (Cantonese: Dik Wan) would be a worth contender in any type of suffering scenario.
    What happens to him? I haven't read that yet (in fact I'm not sure which book he's a character from).
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    What happens to him? I haven't read that yet (in fact I'm not sure which book he's a character from).
    He's the main character in Lian Cheng Jue, which has all sorts of English titles - Linked Cities, A Deadly Secret, Requiem of Lian etc., though I think 'the non-stop sufferings of Di Yun' is more appropriate.

As I recall, his major physical injuries were:

1) All the fingers of his right hand get chopped off
    2) In prison, he has two chains driven through his collarbone at the shoulder for about 5 years
    3) His leg gets trampled by a horse

He also got beaten regularly for three years by another prisoner, hangs himself (but gets resuscitated), gets beaten to the point of spitting blood several times, plucks all his hair out by hand to disguise himself, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    He's the main character in Lian Cheng Jue, which has all sorts of English titles - Linked Cities, A Deadly Secret, Requiem of Lian etc., though I think 'the non-stop sufferings of Di Yun' is more appropriate.

As I recall, his major physical injuries were:

1) All the fingers of his right hand get chopped off
    2) In prison, he has two chains driven through his collarbone at the shoulder for about 5 years
    3) His leg gets trampled by a horse

He also got beaten regularly for three years by another prisoner, hangs himself (but gets resuscitated), gets beaten to the point of spitting blood several times, plucks all his hair out by hand to disguise himself, and so on.
    Ai yo!!

I think the scriptwriters of Xue Shan Fei Hu 2007 must have stolen the idea for that 'chains through the collarbone' thing. Something similar happened to Miao Renfeng in that series.

Di Yun sounds like he wins in the "general misery" category!

Di Yun does get injured, but that's because of his unfortunate circumstances (such as being imprisoned, trapped in a mountain gorge, etc).

LHC's injuries are very different. He's wandering around Jianghu while injured. Dude should be laying in bed recuperating.

I agree with the belief that it's done because a healthy LHC would WTFpwn pretty much every other character he encountered in the novel.

The extent of the mental injuries that DY had to suffer is far greater than that of any other JY's protagonist: The girl he loved married a bastard then got killed; his master who he always highly respected turned out to be an @$$hole; his sworn brother was killed;...
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Quote Originally Posted by wuyuejin View Post
    The extent of the mental injuries that DY had to suffer is far greater than that of any other JY's protagonist: The girl he loved married a bastard then got killed; his master who he always highly respected turned out to be an @$$hole; his sworn brother was killed;...
    Sorry, I was thinking you were talking about LHC there for a second.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    hahaha, I got your point , well both from JY, he always reused his plot points

Requiem of Lian? First time seeing this title.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Requiem of Lian? First time seeing this title.
    Actually, it's 'Requiem of Ling Sing'. I'm pretty sure that was the official English title in Hong Kong (i.e. the title printed at the back of the book) for the 2nd edition, but I don't have a copy of that to check on at the moment. In my 3rd edition copy, it uses 'A Deadly Secret' instead.

Needless to say, it's an badly inaccurate title, though 'requiem' rather suits it's thoroughly depressing tone. Even '連' in Cantonese is pronounced like 'leen' rather than 'ling'.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Yeah, LHC encountered quite similar unhappinesses during his life, but they arent half as bad as what DY went thru. At least LHC was still deeply loved by a wonderful girl, further he'd got plenty of good friends in jiang hu. In DY's case, he was suspected and scorned by almost everyone, even including Shui Sheng, until right before the end of the book.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Actually, it's 'Requiem of Ling Sing'. I'm pretty sure that was the official English title in Hong Kong (i.e. the title printed at the back of the book) for the 2nd edition, but I don't have a copy of that to check on at the moment. In my 3rd edition copy, it uses 'A Deadly Secret' instead.

Needless to say, it's an badly inaccurate title, though 'requiem' rather suits it's thoroughly depressing tone. Even '連' in Cantonese is pronounced like 'leen' rather than 'ling'.
    Hi, I'm reading Lian Cheng Jue atm (almost finished chapter 1).
    IMHO I think A Deadly Secret is a more accurate translation than Requiem of Lian Cheng.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (since my Mandarin is not good) but does the phrase "lian2 cheng2" (连城) in Chinese mean "extremely valuable", and the word "jue2" (诀) mean "secret"? Hence what's wrong if lian2 cheng2 jue2 is translated into english as "An extremely valuable secret" or more figuratively as "A deadly secret" (after all nearly all the people who knew the secret of the poem would later die of one or another unnatural cause)?
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Lian Cheng Jue sounds so depressing, I'm not sure I want to read it.

And I see Ken has merged my thread with an existing one. Evidently my search-fu is pretty crappy, because I checked for an existing thread before starting one of my own.

A Deadly Secret is definitely worth reading. Maybe not for its martial arts (although that's a certain martial arts in there that looks awesome), but because it delves more into human nature - how people can turn bad because of greed, etc (disregarding kinship). It's a short novel too, so can be finished reading it pretty fast.

Most injured hero and most injured character - seems a bit different.
    ..ext88

LCJ is definitely worth reading. The love story of DD and Ling Shuanghua is very touching.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Maybe it's my fanboyism of XLN. She certainly isn't injured the longest or even most gravely (except for some parts of the story)...

It's just that she seems to spend most of the story either heartbroken or on the verge of death or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Aventinus View Post
    Maybe it's my fanboyism of XLN. She certainly isn't injured the longest or even most gravely (except for some parts of the story)...

It's just that she seems to spend most of the story either heartbroken or on the verge of death or both.
    I got the feeling she was overreacting a bit when she was injured practicing the Jade Maiden technique and thought she was going to die. Maybe she'd never been internally injured before and didn't know how to interpret her symptoms. Or maybe she just thought she would die because she didn't have anyone around with sufficient knowledge to help her treat her injury.

IIRC, her life is only threatened three times: after being injured when her practice is interrupted, after being poisoned by the passion flowers, and after being injured at Quanzhen and then poisoned by the needles that GF threw.

She also fire deviated and was near death when Gongsun Zhi found her/

I guess it just seems that she wasn't really prominent in the story that much and when she did she would leave in a chapter or so after getting injured, fire deviating, poisoned or raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aventinus View Post
    She also fire deviated and was near death when Gongsun Zhi found her/

I guess it just seems that she wasn't really prominent in the story that much and when she did she would leave in a chapter or so after getting injured, fire deviating, poisoned or raped.
    I'd forgotten about that one.

She isn't the main character, so the focus isn't on her and makes her injuries seem less serious.