Thread: Wuxia Pet in JY's world

Default Wuxia Pet in JY's world

I notice that in JY's novels, animals have some participation and supporting roles. Let's see if I can list some of them here:

GJ had 2 eagles and the horse which sweats blood (I forget its name)

YG or DGQB had that Divine Condor, although I am not sure the brother Condor can be categorized as a pet or not

OYF had snakes, lots of them (Indiana Jones will probably say, "Snakes. Why does it have to be snakes? I hate snakes." )

XLN had bees

Zhong Ling had marten

That Zhu family who tried to trick ZWJ in HSDS had a pack of dogs

ZWJ had that brother Ape (Gorilla?), but the same with YG's brother Condor that brother Ape might not be a pet. Also that... what do you call it, fire ice monkey (in the Fire Ice Island)?

Ding Chunqiu had lots of poisonous animals and insects

I do not remember anyone having cats, or bears. Anyway, feel free to add to the list.

ZWJ had that brother Ape (Gorilla?), but the same with YG's brother Condor that brother Ape might not be a pet. Also that... what do you call it, fire ice monkey (in the Fire Ice Island)?
    I don't recall ZWJ having a monkey on Fire Ice Island? He and Mister Zhu fell down the cliff (but it's not on Fire Ice Island) and it was in that cave that ZWJ met the Ape/Gorilla.

GJ had a horse that sweat blood? Where did that come from?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Actually the monkey belonged to Xie Xun, Zhang Chuisan and Yin susu before ZWJ was born in the Fire Ice Island. It was in the first edition of HSDS novel that I have. I'm not sure whether JY removed it in the 2nd edition

GJ found the horse either in Mongolia or on his way from Mongolia to the Central Plain. In Hokkienese, the name of the horse was Han Hiat Po Ma. GJ gave the horse to HR when they first met, which was one of the reason why HR was so moved by GJ's kindness. Again I am positively sure the scene was in LOCH novel 1st edition. I think it was also in LOCH 2003 adaptation.

The Hanxue Baoma was in the second edition - it's while catching the horse that he shows off his Jin Yan Gong and makes his six sifus realise that he has been learning something from somebody else. It's also the reason why those eight White Camel Mountain girls attacked him in the first place - to steal the horse.

Other notable horses in JY books are the Chasing Wind Yellow (Zuifeng Huang) which was Guo Jing's third sifu, Han Baokui's (named God of Horses) horse. The poor horse was killed by Ouyang Feng together with its master. Book and Sword also had a magnificent white stallion which Luo Bing stole, and which played a big role in allowing Chen Jialuo, Huo Qingtong and Princess Fragrance to run around the desert.

Temujin's sworn brother, ShangKun, had a pair of panthers which Ke Zhener killed while trying to save Guo Jing and Hua Zhen.

Yang Guo almost had a very powerful cricket, until Guo Fu killed it.

In XAJH Qu Yang had a monkey with him, but not sure if it was in the book.

Zhou Botong had his shark.

Hahaha "Zhou Bu Tong had his shark" somehow that sounded funny. Didn't ZBT have a bee farm later in ROCH? Or is that TVB stuff?

Hmmm..In Bai Ma Xiao Xi Feng, Li WenXiu had her trusty old white horse that protected her and helped her escape harm a couple times.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

What about Gongsun Zhi from the No-Love Valley? He had a lot of crocodiles (???) in his well/sewer (into where he dumped his wife). Can they be considered his pet?

Speaking about horses outside JY's novels, I think in ROTK Lu Bu had this fine horse called "Red Rabbit" or something like that.

Oh yes, I can't remember anyone having rabbits either.

By the way, ZBT did have a bee farm. He learnt the skill from XLN.

dont forget about YG's sickly yellow horse that became crazy strong and fast...

(does that sound like ZWJ or what?)

well, later the yellow horse dies in the mongolian camp...if that doesn't say something about what ZM is going to do to ZWJ after the book ends, then i don't know what a prophecy is.

Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

- XLN had bees.
    - Leung Tze Yung had a snake (which GJ bit)
    - The Sect of Five Poisons had snakes, amongst other venomous creatures.
    - Can't remember, but a white toad appeared in "Bik Huet Kim" somewhere towards the end.
    - Huo Qing Tong had eagles/condors (or did they belong to her masters?).
    - Qing Qing in "The Sword of The Yue Maiden" had a white gorilla and some sheep.
    - Did ZWj keep the pair of golden snakes?
    - WXB had Shuang Er and CJL had Princess Fragrance!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Originally posted by charbydis
    - WXB had Shuang Er...
    Now that's a "pet" I would want to have

Originally posted by charbydis

- Qing Qing in "The Sword of The Yue Maiden" had a white gorilla and some sheep.
    I thought the gorilla was her sifu?

Originally posted by Ian Liew
    I thought the gorilla was her sifu?
    Well, she didn't actually learn her martial arts from the gorilla, but picked up the theory from playing with the gorilla who she called "Grandpa!" Who plays with their sifu?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

ummmmmmmmmmm zhang wuji had a pet monkey in the butterfly valley but i would'nt exactly call the white gorilla his pet consideirng it was dead when he met it.lol

Originally posted by - L1n -
    ummmmmmmmmmm zhang wuji had a pet monkey in the butterfly valley but i would'nt exactly call the white gorilla his pet consideirng it was dead when he met it.lol
    It was dying, but when ZWJ took out the 9 Yang manual, it recovered, so it didn't die.
    Cyril Connolly

wat, it was dead, he even buried it. And then after he finished 9 yang he buried 9 yang on top of the gorilla's grave.

Quote Originally Posted by - L1n -
    wat, it was dead, he even buried it. And then after he finished 9 yang he buried 9 yang on top of the gorilla's grave.
    That's only from HSDS 02.
    In the novel, it was alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    In XAJH Qu Yang had a monkey with him, but not sure if it was in the book.
    I think it was Lu Dayou of Huashan Sect who was the one who had the monkey...... Qu Yang would be too obsessed with music to bother about pets!

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    - Can't remember, but a white toad appeared in "Bik Huet Kim" somewhere towards the end.
    - Huo Qing Tong had eagles/condors (or did they belong to her masters?).
    Nobody in Bi Xue Jian had a pet, and neither did Huo Qingtong, I think.

And yes I think ZWJ had a pair of golden snakes....... he got them when he went to Kunlun Sect to save the sect leader's wife or something?
    Last edited by junzi; 04-15-07 at 09:55 PM.