Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wuxia Heroes: City Slickers and Country Boys

Default Wuxia Heroes: City Slickers and Country Boys

Pre-modern societies were less urban-oriented than modern ones, but among the most urban societies (relatively speaking) of pre-modern times was that of China. When Marco Polo visited China during the Yuan Dynasty (late 13th Century), he noted that the Chinese city of Hangzhou was larger and more cosmopolitan than any of the great cities of Europe . . . including Rome and Athens.

In wuxia novels, some characters are definitely city-slickers. They were born and raised in cities, and have many of their adventures there. Other characters were born and raised in rural areas, and experienced most of their adventures in the countryside. It seems that almost all wuxia characters spend at least some time in cities and some time in the countryside, although some characters favor one over the other. Who are the city slickers and country boys of wuxia?

What catogory are ZWJ and SPT in? Both grew up in seclusion.

WXB is definitely a city slicker.

gj would be a city slicker, dy would be a city slicker, xln is a rural princess

I wouldn't characterize Gwok Jing as a city slicker. He grew up on the Mongol steppes, after all, as far from city life as one can get.

He did spend much of his adult life in cities (Lin-an, Seung Yeung, etc.), however.

I would say XF might be a country dweller, since he wanted to have a ranch with A Zhu for a living.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

yeah but when we say city, in mongolia would'nt been in tribes count as city.

Originally posted by - L1n -
    yeah but when we say city, in mongolia would'nt been in tribes count as city.
    Not in a conventional sense, no. The defining characteristic of a city is its permanence. It has permanent facilities and permanent residents. The Mongol nomads were, by definition, always on the move.

I would say XF might be a country dweller, since he wanted to have a ranch with A Zhu for a living.
    but he did seem to spend most his life in cities to run beggar clan business..

Not in a conventional sense, no. The defining characteristic of a city is its permanence. It has permanent facilities and permanent residents. The Mongol nomads were, by definition, always on the move.
    perhaps we should open the category of "desert boy"

Originally posted by philip
    but he did seem to spend most his life in cities to run beggar clan business..
    But does he spend most of his times in the cities runing Beggar Clan though?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

But does he spend most of his times in the cities runing Beggar Clan though?
    he did not spend most of his time on a ranch w/ ah zhu though

he did not spend most of his time on a ranch w/ ah zhu though
    That is what he wants! And where do a beggar usually live anyway?

they live where the rich are populous of course...the more likely they'll get donations!!!!

they live where the rich are populous of course...the more likely they'll get donations!!!!
    Ummmm.....
    Imagining Xiao Feng sitting on his golden throne with his cup of wine while his beggars are lining up to pay tributes.

YG is a Tomb Boy

I think YG can be considered a city slicker. He did live on the street for quite some time before being taken to Peach Blossom Island. And after he left Ancient Tomb, he roam the city again, looking for XLN.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-14-04 at 11:04 PM.

Originally posted by kidd
    I think YG can be considered a city slicker. He did live on the streat for quite some time before being taken to Peach Blossom Island. And after he left Ancient Tomb, he roam the city again, looking for XLN.
    Yeung Gor was definitely a city-slicker. He grew up on the streets of the city of Ga Hing, and aside from his days at Peach Blossom Island, the Chung Yeung Temple, and the Ancient Tomb compound, he seemed to enjoy the city life.

Originally posted by rabadi
    YG is a Tomb Boy
    Tomb Raider!

Originally posted by superboy
    Tomb Raider!
    That would be Fok Do. In ROCH '83 (but probably not in the novel), he was the one who went in there looking to jack stuff.

What about LHC? If I'm not mistaken, Hua Shan sect was situated on a mountain.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    That would be Fok Do. In ROCH '83 (but probably not in the novel), he was the one who went in there looking to jack stuff.
    Imagine a thief went inside the tomb and jack stuff. Like the movie Tome Raider. YG's gonna beat their @$$.