Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The logistics of hosting a Heroes' Conference

Default The logistics of hosting a Heroes' Conference

The Heroes' Conference is a staple convention of the wuxia world. At least once in almost every wuxia novel, the great (and not so great) fighters of that storyline gather at the headquarters of some important sect or important individual in the martial world to discuss problems and engage in martial arts battles (some friendly, some not). Hosting one of these events must have been a logistical nightmare, however. The host had to somehow feed, house, and entertain hundreds of belligerent martial artists, quite a few of whom will behave violently on short notice. Who in his right mind would volunteer to host such an event?

Default Re: The logistics of hosting a Heroes' Conference

The Beggar Clan. Even if some of the guests were rude, the clan will not lose anything 'cause they did not have anything to begin with (that's why they were beggars)

that's the best answer that i could think of, rabadi. props to you

other than them, i think only superpowers of the wulin world could do it...

-guo couple
    -wudang
    -shaolin

the hengshang sword school in SoD wasn't powerful enough, and that's why so many ppl died
    Beggar Society: Furthering the cause of homeless bullies since 1173.

Default Re: Re: The logistics of hosting a Heroes' Conference

Originally posted by rabadi
    The Beggar Clan. Even if some of the guests were rude, the clan will not lose anything 'cause they did not have anything to begin with (that's why they were beggars)
    The beggar clan aint poor! They have their resources. Mrs Ma certaintly lived a rich lifestyle.

In any case, I would hate to hold a heroes conference at my house too. Not only do I have to spend huge amounts on wine and food, some guy with crazy kung fu is sure to come crash the party and thrash my house up!

Those who hold it probably gain a lot of 'face'. People will remember 'that wulin metting held at Wang manor' for ages and the Wang family would increase their fame I guess.
    Last edited by CC; 03-05-04 at 06:30 AM.

Default Re: Re: Re: The logistics of hosting a Heroes' Conference

Originally posted by CC
    The beggar clan aint poor! They have their resources. Mrs Ma certaintly lived a rich lifestyle.
    I was just kidding. I think it was already discussed the other day how XF as a Beggar Clan should have a considerable amount of money to spend on his wine

Great topic. Somehow I don't think the logic is intended to be thought about by us

Umm PJ, logic != logistics.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=logistics

Who in his right mind would volunteer to host such an event?
    People who have a good business mind.

Cons: Cost of materials, cost of servants, risks from shit-stirrers.

Pros: Fame, face, support from respected wulin fighters (invaluable).

The pros easily outweigh the cons.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I think perhaps Shaolin is the best place to hold such a Conference. Shaolin is always renowned as the leader of wuxia world. The monks are highly respected. If something turns wrong, I would expect the monks to show their powers. Apart from Shaolin, Wu Dang will be another good choice.

Was food provided or was it BYO?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Get some gov't sponsors to cut the cost. Gov't officials be allowed to scout around looking for potential fighters to work for the court.

Trouble can always be expected at such gatherings.

Originally posted by Candide
    Umm PJ, logic != logistics.
    Ken also initiated the thought Who in his right mind would volunteer to host such an event? This deals with the LOGIC of hosting a heroes' conference. Even you wrote a logical response to his question.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-15-04 at 02:00 PM.

Originally posted by Thai guy
    I think perhaps Shaolin is the best place to hold such a Conference. Shaolin is always renowned as the leader of wuxia world. The monks are highly respected. If something turns wrong, I would expect the monks to show their powers.
    But even when Shaolin was at their absolute peak, which occurred in DGSD, their best active fighter still has trouble ranking in the top 10 at the time (I'm excluding the sweeper monk). Even a bum like You Tanzhi could threaten to beat their best fighter. And look at what a mess that meeting turned out to be: When something turned wrong, the monks couldn't do nothin' about it. They just stand and watch. Again, that was at their peak.

Taking the Heroes Conference at Dai Sing Kwan in ROCH and the "Lion-Slaying" Wulin Conference at Shaolin during HSDS as examples, did the Luk Family and Shaolin provide living accommodations for all their wulin guests at their home/temple, or did the guests basically need to pitch tents or rent inn rooms nearby? I know that the Luks at least fed their guests during the Heroes Conference (there were several banquets), but did Luk Manor or even Shaolin Temple have enough guest rooms to accommodate hundreds of extra guests? I doubt it.

Accommodation: There are inns and deserted temples around the town that all the MAs can stay.
    Food and drinks: They get food catering from the local inns and food stalls for that one day of event.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Light View Post
    Accommodation: There are inns and deserted temples around the town that all the MAs can stay.
    Food and drinks: They get food catering from the local inns and food stalls for that one day of event.
    Wulin conventions apparently can be boosts to local economies for towns lucky enough to host them (provided their luck allows them to avoid excessive damage due to wulin warriors fighting).

Even if they trash the place, they trash the place of whoever's holding the event, and not the inns and food stalls.^^
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

Inns and restaurants are notorious for getting totalled. Someone will overhear someone talking smack while eating and drinking. People will remove the roof tiles on your rooms to eaves drop, poke holes in your paper windows, then start all out fights. Someone whom I won't name, would even carry a massive urn filled with wine to an upstairs restaurant/inn and start throwing it at people.

That's what commercial insurances are for. ^^

Anyone willing to host such an event on their premises IMHO needs status or/and guanxi.
    Status is vastly important, methinks... The more weight there is to the host's name (or to the names of their connections in higher places), the greater the chance that some of the fighters will postpone their bickering and table-smashing until after the event...

BTW - was there actually some sort of insurance system in pre-20th century China? (I'm seriously asking now, I'd really like to know...;-))
    Last edited by Cesare; 06-26-12 at 03:23 PM.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Anyone willing to host such an event on their premises IMHO needs status or/and guanxi.
    Status is vastly important, methinks... The more weight there is to the host's name (or to the names of their connections in higher places), the greater the chance that some of the fighters will postpone their bickering and table-smashing until after the event...

BTW - was there actually some sort of insurance system in pre-20th century China? (I'm seriously asking now, I'd really like to know...;-))
    Not China, but for interest's sake, there were insurance scams in ancient Rome. During the 2nd Punic War, aka the Hannibalic War (218-201 BC), the state contracted private individuals and consortiums to freight supplies, compensating for any losses at sea. Some unscrupulous individuals filled some ships full of rubbish and sunk them, claiming for full weight. A tribune of the plebs wanted to prosecute them, but was dissuaded by the senate who wanted to keep a united front during wartime.