Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's smarter? HYS or HR?

HYS, definitely. even though HR is crafty and sly, her tactical genius is simply a copy of her father. HR herself states when she's using the 5 elements trap that she is no match for her father, and that there's no way for her to think up all these changes without him. i'm not saying that HR isn't talented --- even a talented girl like CY was in awe of HR, even though they had the same "master" in battle tactics (HYS). CY realized that she could never learn the 5elements trap with the fluidity and the genius that HR did. however, this is all still a copy of HYS's genius...so he gets the point here.

in terms of her martial arts prowess, HR is actually quite good. i think it's safe to say that it's rare for anyone to reach the level of dogbeating stick that she did. also, she seems to pick up other martial arts quite well. however, she never even comes close to her father's GREATS status.
    HR is much younger and less experienced than HYS, so obviously, she'd not going to be as skilled w/ it as HYS is.

HR never cared to martial arts as HYS or any of the greats did. It interested her at points and she found it somewhat necessary...but she'd rather stick with the other arts in life.

as for cooking, i do think HYS taught some to HR. i remember H7G saying that only someone like HYS could come up with such name for a certain dish.

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

Originally posted by philip
    as for cooking, i do think HYS taught some to HR. i remember H7G saying that only someone like HYS could come up with such name for a certain dish.

really??? that is so cool to know!!!
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

Could we imagine how HYS will look like in the kitchen? He's not only talented in martial arts, but also a cooking expert.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by superboy
    Could we imagine how HYS will look like in the kitchen? He's not only talented in martial arts, but also a cooking expert.
    The image of East Heretic Wong Yerk See, Lord of Peach Blossom Island, wearing an apron and holding a skillet in his hand, is one of the more hilarious images to cross my mind recently.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    The image of East Heretic Wong Yerk See, Lord of Peach Blossom Island, wearing an apron and holding a skillet in his hand, is one of the more hilarious images to cross my mind recently.
    If the other Greats like OYF sees him like that, HYS'll lose all his image . But I think H7G will find himself a new best friend though.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

As for HYS naming certain dish, would it be possible that when HR finished cooking new kind of dish HYS was around and so HR gave him the honour to name the dish? Meaning that it was not HYS who taught HR how to cook, but he simply gave name to the dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Skills can only be learned, not inherited.
    This is true, but just because someone learns quick and is smart does NOT mean that the person can cook well. It's either you have the talent, or you don't. Some people, like my auntie, can practice cooking for the rest of her life, but her cooking would still suck no matter what she does.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    This is true, but just because someone learns quick and is smart does NOT mean that the person can cook well. It's either you have the talent, or you don't. Some people, like my auntie, can practice cooking for the rest of her life, but her cooking would still suck no matter what she does.
    ouch to your auntie...

btw in Precious's terms, bunny had reached the "peak of perfection" in digging up old threads!

how the he11 did you even find a 4 yr old thread?

Lol, RWX called me a necromancer. Hey, I'm allowed to do it, since I'm a newbie.

It's the similarity function that's been added lately.....I only read the posts and didn't really notice the dates.

what bringing threads back from the dead?

whoa! i didn't even notice the similarity funtion at the bottom until now!

For a moment....I thought HYS refers to Huang Yushi.....but HR then I realised HYS refers to Huang Yaoshi.....then Huang Rong
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I remember HR's cooking skill did come from HYS. I remember a scene where HYS was taking care of HQG (after he was severely injured by OYF) and he cooked for him. HQG remarked that his cooking is excellent like HR. And HYS asked "Who did you think taught her?"

Did I dream this up?

I feel it is very unfair to HR to say she is not as talented in martial arts because she was not one of top realm fighters. She had many other roles in life. She was unable to concentrate on a career unlike the men back then and even now.

Women have to take care of running the household, caring for the brats, caring for the elderly. Don't say the men do it too. Cos it's almost always the women who has to think of the meals arrangement, who to do the laundry, what to buy from the market, what to pack for a journey. The men do what the women tells them to do after she has finished planning everything. On top of that, HR had to manage Beggar Clan's administration and to aid GJ in defence of Xiang Yang.

If HR was able to have the time to concentrate fully on her training, perhaps she could one day be an equal to her dad.

I think the only thing HYS ever conjure up for H7G to eat were Peach Blossom pills.

I think ultimately HR is smarter because she makes an effort to understand people and deal with them on their own level, while her father ignores them and lives outside the constraints of society.

In my opinion it's always smarter to try to work within the rules than to ignore or flaut them.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    This is true, but just because someone learns quick and is smart does NOT mean that the person can cook well.
    For the record, Batman sucks at cooking. That's why he needs Alfred. One time, while Alfred was away, Batman (as Bruce Wayne) made lunch for himself and Robin. Bruce was apologizing that the quality of the food wouldn't be as good as usual. Robin politely said, "That's no problem, Bruce. Besides, how could you screw up a ham and cheese sandwich?"

*Robin takes a bite from the sandwich.*

"Oh, that's how."

There was also an occassion when Bruce had to make soup for an ailing Alfred, who had come down with an illness. Bruce tore the kitchen apart (literally), but still couldn't get something as simple as soup together. He had to finally order from a restaurant to deliver soup to Wayne Manor.

This is the World's Greatest Detective here...the scourge of criminals in Gotham City and the one guy that the rest of the Justice League looks to for strategy when dealing with dangerous opponents.

But he's utterly helpless in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    In my opinion it's always smarter to try to work within the rules than to ignore or flaut them.
    That may be, but making the "smarter" decision does not make you the smarter individual.

Knowledge isn't intelligence. Skills aren't intelligence. In terms of actual intelligence, HYS is likely smarter than HR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Actually, i remember in viet translation of LOCH [3rd edition] it was stated that Guo Jing has never disobeyed Huang Rong. He always listened to her.
    OT. There exists translations of 3rd editions? Are you sure they are not 2nd editions that came out aprox the same time as the Chinese 3rd editions were published?

If they are indeed 3rd editions, where can I buy them?
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

There could be one area where HR may prove to be more witty than HYS-all around general trickery. Against a much mightier foe (though I don't see HYS running into one), I can see HR snaking out with her glib tongue. After all, she had plenty of practice. In addition, she was willing to "**** it up" to get her goals (as seen by her flirting with Ouyang Ke to make him forget 9YZJ).

On the contrary, I can't imagine HYS being able to trick his opponent out of a battle via his words (more likely to start one).

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    In terms of intelligence, I agree. His cherry blossom maze is especially comparable to Kongming's 8-fold maze.

The cool thing about that is that Zhuge Liang's wife's surname was none other than...Huang. She is said to have been very smart, but not very good looking.

In response to the thread question, I would give Huang Yao Shi the slight edge. However, even though children learn things from their parents and may inherit desirable genes, that doesn't mean that they cannot surpass them. Isn't there an old Chinese saying about students surpassing their teachers?
    If i am not wrong, Zhuge liang is also very well versed in the Eight Trigrams formation , creating Maze in the formation of Bagua. Like Huang rong who is also well versed in such formation, building array of rocks and boulders to fight off enemies.
    I am not sure if anyone of you Visited ZhuGe Liang's Home Town. It is call the Bagua Town if i am not wrong, i visited once, it is form in the formation of Bagua, eight trigrams, and it was said to protect the whole village (surnames of Zhuge) from Japanese Occupation Attacks, for the whole time when Japanese invaded China, They didn't manage to find this Village at all.