• Zhou Bu Tong ( Zhong Wan Tong )

8 10.67%
  • Zhang San Feng

9 12.00%
  • Zhang Wuji

10 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Great Of All Time ( Condor Trilogy)

Originally posted by - L1n -
    u forgot yideng, also i like to say how can yg be selfsih not returning in 13 yrs how would he know if he was in seclusion away from society.
    It was said that YG and XLN kept close ties with both the beggar Clan and the Guo family. If he was able to give them the sword for the war, he must have had some sort of communication with the outside world.

Yi Deng lets his emotions rule his life. Not really a family man.
    Last edited by charbydis; 03-15-04 at 09:51 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

umm we never no but i'm pretty shure if they knewthey would turn up. I mean if they had extremely close contact then howcome gx spent all her life searching for them and yet still failed.

Originally posted by - L1n -
    umm we never no but i'm pretty shure if they knewthey would turn up. I mean if they had extremely close contact then howcome gx spent all her life searching for them and yet still failed.
    I have no idea. I am just going by the book. Probably YG didn't want GX to find him lest XLN gets jealous, or he feels guilty for making her love him.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I only feel sory for GX, she's such a nice/beauty girl!
    When you feel like you're the POOREST man in the world ....
    COUNT your BLESSING, then suddenly you are one of the RICHEST man in the universe!

If YG keep close relationship with the Guo Family, then HR would have told GX where he is already instead of letting her searched til fourty.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

exactly to my point

For me it will be Guo Jing the Northern Hero. His martial arts and heroism are simply unparalleled among the other Greats.

Huang Yao Shi, the epic one. Also the smartest, and his scenes are always interesting to read/watch.

After 6(!) years, I've changed my mind. I pick Wang Chongyang. He emphasized Daoism over martial arts and was still undefeated under heaven. Yideng is now second for me.
    Last edited by Dirt; 08-06-10 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy View Post
    I like Yang Guo. He is smart and can be funny sometimes. His kongfu is superb. Without him killing Mongolian's emperor at that time, Xiang Yang would lose to the Mongolian.
    100 PERCENT AGREE!!! I don't care about Guo Jing AT ALL. He's so boring to me as a character

Huang YaoShi is the best!
    -He treats his disciples like crap and they all still love him because he has such charisma.
    -He is UBER SMART, a master of pretty much everything, from calligraphy to martial arts to music to planting peach trees.
    -He is about ten years younger than the other original greats and has the least internal power, but makes it up by CREATING HIS OWN TECHNIQUES. And these techniques actually work all of the time, not just when he is depressed.
    -He has his own ideals and doesn't blindly conform to society's accepted norms.
    -Plus, he seems to have gotten his skills the hard way- no snake bladders to eat, no jade bed to sleep on (at least, nothing of that nature was mentioned) which makes his skill level even more impressive.

Will concede that he made ONE mistake: befriending Yang Guo.
    欲取鸣琴弹,恨无知音赏。~孟浩然

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy View Post
    I like Yang Guo. He is smart and can be funny sometimes. His kongfu is superb. Without him killing Mongolian's emperor at that time, Xiang Yang would lose to the Mongolian.
    And the rest of the time he likes having vomit inducing "romantic" conversations with XLN.
    "When you were gone I thought about you 100 times every day!"
    "100 times is not enough. 1000 times!"
    "GuGu, I will think of you 2000 times every day. No, 5000 times!"
    "..."
    "Okay, 10000 times every day!"

Or he whines.
    "Nobody loves me except for GuGu."

Or he attempts to kill Guo Jing, defender of Xiang Yang, only hope to all people living on the Central Plains, to avenge his father. Even though he knew that Guo Jing was a great hero, and had subconsciously realized that his father was really not an awesome person.

Or he goes away and hides with XLN, even though the Mongolians are about to invade...
    欲取鸣琴弹,恨无知音赏。~孟浩然

Quote Originally Posted by HuangRong View Post
    And the rest of the time he likes having vomit inducing "romantic" conversations with XLN.
    "When you were gone I thought about you 100 times every day!"
    "100 times is not enough. 1000 times!"
    "GuGu, I will think of you 2000 times every day. No, 5000 times!"
    "..."
    "Okay, 10000 times every day!"
    Guo Jing, Zhang Wuji, Duan Yu, etc have said similar stuff.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-02-13 at 04:24 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Guo Jing, Zhang Wuji, Duan Yu, etc have said similar stuff.
    With the possible exception of Deun Yu, however, such statements do not essentially define their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangRong View Post
    Huang YaoShi is the best!
    -He treats his disciples like crap and they all still love him because he has such charisma.
    -He is UBER SMART, a master of pretty much everything, from calligraphy to martial arts to music to planting peach trees.
    -He is about ten years younger than the other original greats and has the least internal power, but makes it up by CREATING HIS OWN TECHNIQUES. And these techniques actually work all of the time, not just when he is depressed.
    -He has his own ideals and doesn't blindly conform to society's accepted norms.
    -Plus, he seems to have gotten his skills the hard way- no snake bladders to eat, no jade bed to sleep on (at least, nothing of that nature was mentioned) which makes his skill level even more impressive.

Will concede that he made ONE mistake: befriending Yang Guo.
    Why do you think it's his mistake of befriending Yang Guo?

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Nianci View Post
    Why do you think it's his mistake of befriending Yang Guo?
    It was sort of but not really a joke. I hate Yang Guo, so...
    欲取鸣琴弹,恨无知音赏。~孟浩然

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    With the possible exception of Deun Yu, however, such statements do not essentially define their characters.
    Same for Yang Guo. He is more than someone who says lovey-dovey stuff to XLN. This aspect is often exaggerated.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-03-13 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Same for Yang Guo. He is more than someone who says lovey-dovey stuff to XLN. This aspect is often exaggerated.
    Not by much. In popular perception, that's what he's *known* for, just as Gwok Jing is known for patriotic speeches. Occasionally, they might have lines that the other could have said, but these are aberrations rather than character-defining norms.

Not by much. In popular perception, that's what he's *known* for, just as Gwok Jing is known for patriotic speeches. Occasionally, they might have lines that the other could have said, but these are aberrations rather than character-defining norms.
    Yang Guo's character is more defined by his 16 year wait than any speeches he gives. If there are any speeches that define him, it's probably the one Guo Xiang heard second hand where Yang Guo said that a woman who prostituted herself for the sake of her husband was worthier of honour than a chaste woman who'd never been challenged in her life. Shortly before killing her treacherous husband and government official and giving her a dowry for whatever marriage she wished to put herself in. The Eagle Hero was a proper badass.

I know that's what he is known for to a lot of ppl (it makes for a good laugh), but I'm suggesting it's a little misrepresented. It's just a small part of what he was about, and if we count the number of times he said mushy things vs other protagonists, you might find it surprisingly similar.