Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Harry Potter

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Watched the 6th instalment last Saturday.

Hmmm, non-readers might not understand why this 6th instalment is called the "Half-Blood Prince", as the movie did not explain it clearly towards the end. Nevertheless, it's an overall better movie than Order Of The Phoenix - but still pales in comparison to Goblet Of Fire, IMO.
    I thought Half-Blood Prince was quite good. The young stars have matured a great deal in their acting skill, and have greatly benefited from being surrounded by the cream of the British drama crop.

It's been a while since I read the book, but the explanation of the title isn't very prominent there, either, if I remember correctly. I always thought that title was a bit misleading since the Half-Blood Prince really isn't all that important to the story, at least not the way the title elements of the other books are.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't include the scene of
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Dumbledore's funeral
    , but from a creative standpoint I understand why it wasn't included. That scene would have required a lot of extras and special effects and would have drawn attention away from Harry's story. I was also sorry not to see
    the growth of the romance between Tonks and Lupin
    , but again, including that would have taken away from something else unless they wanted to make the movie six hours long.

Except for those minor quibbles I was very pleased with it.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I liked the movie and thought it was well-made.

The translated Chinese title of Half Blood Prince is mind-boggling. The title came out as 'The Betrayal of the Half Blood Prince' and it's like adding legs to a drawing of a snake.

Anyway, the movie did not focus much on the Half Blood Prince saga Harry had in the book. It's a bother (in terms with the movie title) but not something significant.

The Dumbledore parts were awesome. Loved it, and I could feel for Harry. Nearly cried, actually, and even after the movie when I was explaining the scenes to my friend, my voice was trembling and close to cracking.

Can't wait for the release of Deathly Hallows now.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I guess I'm one of the people who was fairly disappointed by the film. In terms of cinematic, it was nice. The effects were good, the contrasts between the darker and more humorous sides were well done. It was a good and entertaining movie to see in theatres in that respect. Though the scene in the cave almost like a "LOTR-rip-off."

In terms of acting, the young actors did improve (but that doesn't really say much). They seem more natural now, as opposed to cheesy in most of the other films. Michael Gambon has finally gotten the role down. He seemed too angry before as Dumbledore, rather than the stern and loving Dumbledore Richard Harris portrayed (one I liked much better). Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman never fail to deliver, though (and that's what kept me continue watching the film rather than going off to do something else).

What the movie failed in, for me, was the plot. It missed out on many things in the book that are actually fairly important to the entire storyline. It did not show as much as Voldemort's life as it should have, even though the point of the sixth book was for Harry (and the readers) to truly comprehend Voldemort's life and why he became who he was. The movie chose instead to focus more on the teen romance. Snape's character was also a bit less developed in the film, and I felt that it was a mistake for them to take out the last bit where
    after Harry called Snape a coward, Snape became livid.
    that I felt was something crucial to the understanding of Snape's character and in the following book.

Overall, the movie was disappointing for me. I had expected much better.
    Last edited by xJadedx; 07-21-09 at 11:24 PM.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I thought Half-Blood Prince was quite good. The young stars have matured a great deal in their acting skill, and have greatly benefited from being surrounded by the cream of the British drama crop.

It's been a while since I read the book, but the explanation of the title isn't very prominent there, either, if I remember correctly. I always thought that title was a bit misleading since the Half-Blood Prince really isn't all that important to the story, at least not the way the title elements of the other books are.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't include the scene of
    Dumbledore's funeral
    , but from a creative standpoint I understand why it wasn't included. That scene would have required a lot of extras and special effects and would have drawn attention away from Harry's story. I was also sorry not to see
    the growth of the romance between Tonks and Lupin
    , but again, including that would have taken away from something else unless they wanted to make the movie six hours long.

Except for those minor quibbles I was very pleased with it.
    Thank you for sharing (the spoilers), Sniffy!

Frankly, I'm one of the non-readers that I've mentioned in my post! I can't feel the 'romance' chemistry between Tonks and Lupin based on that movie so, it is good to know something from the book, which did not appear in the movies.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

It did not show as much as Voldemort's life as it should have, even though the point of the sixth book was for Harry (and the readers) to truly comprehend Voldemort's life and why he became who he was.
    Yes, that was quite a disappointment, especially since I enjoyed the Tom Riddle memories parts. I was quite sad they didn't show the Gaunt family part. Christian Coulson could have been Tom Riddle Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Yes, that was quite a disappointment, especially since I enjoyed the Tom Riddle memories parts. I was quite sad they didn't show the Gaunt family part. Christian Coulson could have been Tom Riddle Sr.
    Don't be sad , the Gaunt memory is cut and will be shown in the next movie.

The Gaunt scene is cut. Yates stated, "In the books, the memories were a very big part of JK Rowling's story. We've actually pared them down in our story, and she was very supportive of that decision. They're such an enjoyable part of reading the Half-Blood Prince. But we've kind of distilled them down to two or three memories to try to keep everything more in the moment. Flashbacks in movies are tricky things; they tend to hold up the momentum of the story you're telling."
    Source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Ha...nce_%28film%29

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    Don't be sad , the Gaunt memory is cut and will be shown in the next movie.

Source: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Ha...nce_%28film%29
    Cool. Now will Coulson be Tom Riddle Sr. I hope it's a 'yes'!

After watching it in theatre, I was reminded why I never bothered to watch the first 5. What a waste of my 3 hours. I literally fell asleep towards the end. I guess it will be an ok movie if I haven't read the book.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    After watching it in theatre, I was reminded why I never bothered to watch the first 5. What a waste of my 3 hours. I literally fell asleep towards the end. I guess it will be an ok movie if I haven't read the book.
    Hahaha, book 6 is essentially a setup and exposition for the final book, the Horcrux (No, Mrs Norris is not the 8th Horcrux ). Other than that, it's nothing actually. The ending is abrupt. It's a very hard book to like and then to make a movie from it. If you want badass then wait for movie 07 and 08. Yeah book 7 will be made as 2 separate films.

However I really like all the jokes, for example Harry, Felix Felicis and the pincers LOL, and Slughorn is perfect as I imagine him when I read the book.

If you're into animation and camera technique, wow, there are lots of supremely good computer animation techniques that is not possible using a regular old school technique. For example the panning shot which zooming in and out between characters on the train, at the Hogwarts castle and the camera movement single take on the dead eaters from the opening scene.

And did I mention about the Fort William (Scottish Highland) and the loch (lake), gorgeous. Yeah I've been there before a couple of times.

Harry and the Inferi making me jump on my seat and the potion drinking is a very emotional and hard to watch, especially when you know what will happen to the drinker in the end. Extremely sad.

Most of the acting are perfect. Things between Lavender, Hermione and Ron LOL, super funny. Check the scene at the hospital wing and the look of all the teacher's face in there. I just can't stop to laugh especially the reaction from Dumbledore. I really like those scene.

Senior Member f.alchemist_freak's Avatar

Not the greatest but not bad over all. Like many of those who read the book, I am quite dissapointed with the way the storyline of the movie cuts out so many scenes, but that is to be expected.

However, I can't help thinking throughout the movie how much the child actors/actresses have grown. Especially Ginny - she seems to be even taller than Harry now!
    Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by f.alchemist_freak View Post
    Not the greatest but not bad over all. Like many of those who read the book, I am quite dissapointed with the way the storyline of the movie cuts out so many scenes, but that is to be expected.

However, I can't help thinking throughout the movie how much the child actors/actresses have grown. Especially Ginny - she seems to be even taller than Harry now!
    I think she IS taller than him. Poor Dan.

Order of the Phoenix-one of my favorite sequels!

I like HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE most of all!
    I have the best wallpapers!