Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Translation of Little Li's Flying Dagger(cont...)

I had a feeling that LXH's dagger skills were selt taught too. That's what makes it so special... How good was his student compared to him? I heard that Yip Hoi was good at using the dagger too. But how good is he really?? I don't think he is as good as his master right??
    Yip Hoi should be very good w. the dagger. He's only used it a few times, but it's probably safe to say that no one is better except for LXH himself. I think LXH would still be better, because it's his art originally so he's more experienced with it and his skill using it has become the stuff of myths. Yip Hoi will eventually reach legend status as well, but in the stories he starred in, he was still too young.

Did you know how LXH accepted him as a student since I don't think LXH accepts students easily. Isn't YH his only student??
    Yes, YH is LXH's only student. The circumstances around how he got accepted can be found in Bordertown Wanderer (TVB's Black Sabre). It relates to the events following his father's death, I think.

I wonder where you read the description of SXH by GL. I don't remember if Meh has translated those part or not. Where do you read Eagle Flying??? Is it also translalted?
    AFAIK, Eagles Flying in September has not been translated into English. Dan is probably reading the Chinese version.

I seem to remember someone on this forum posted that the inner power manual that Sum Long practices is the same one that princess practices on Legendary Siblings.
    Some versions of the Legendary Siblings say that Sum Long was one of the practicioners of the Bright Jade Skill (the one the Princess' learned), but it was never stated in WuLin WaiShi that he did. Also, some versions of the Legendary Siblings don't even have that line, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the clarification Tiger Wong. Too bad I may not ever read The Bian Cheng Lang Zi. How accurate was TVB's version to the novel? Did you ever read Eagles Flying in Sept? SXH was actually mentioned in there?? Is that story after XLFD??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Originally posted by Trinie
    Thanks for the clarification Tiger Wong. Too bad I may not ever read The Bian Cheng Lang Zi. How accurate was TVB's version to the novel? Did you ever read Eagles Flying in Sept? SXH was actually mentioned in there?? Is that story after XLFD??
    TVB's Black Sabre was not entirely accurate, but I'd say it was accurate enough to get a good feel for what the novel was about. I recommend it.

Yes, I've read Eagles Flying in September. I liked it. I don't remember SXH being mentioned in it.... if she was, it was probably just in passing. Bian Tsing Lang Zi takes place after XLFD, and Eagles Flying in September comes a year or so after BTLZ.

Thanks again TigerWong!! I guess I should read some of GL's novels when I have time. That problem is, the library that i go to check out the novels have mostly Jin Yong ones. They don't have a lot of Gu Long's novels. Do you purchase the novels or do you just check them out??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I only purchase them if they have a cool cover. But usually, I just read them online.

WOW, you read them online??!! I don't have that much time online. Doesn't it hurt your eyes to read them online? I would rather read them from the actual text...

Originally posted by siryu
    I wonder where you read the description of SXH by GL. I don't remember if Meh has translated those part or not. Where do you read Eagle Flying??? Is it also translalted?
    It appears fairly late in the novel, Meh hasn't gotten to that part yet. like Tiger said, I'm reading the original novel.

Originally posted by Trinie
    WOW, you read them online??!! I don't have that much time online. Doesn't it hurt your eyes to read them online? I would rather read them from the actual text...
    download and print, your problem solved.

Originally posted by TigerWong
    Bian Tsing Lang Zi takes place after XLFD, and Eagles Flying in September comes a year or so after BTLZ.
    darnit. I'm reading them in the wrong order then. I picked 'Eagles' first because GL wrote it before 'Bordertown'. Weird that I found a very obsecure reference in 'Eagles' to a character that I cannot decipher, wonder where that guy's from.
    Last edited by dan J; 09-26-03 at 08:33 AM.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Can any of you guys tell me the website where I can read the chinese versions of these novels ? Thanks.

I prefer actual books too, but it saves me money and it's convenient. Besides, my eyes aren't that great so the larger print online helps too. Of course, it takes me longer to finish because I'm not always online (even though it seems that way sometimes ).

darnit. I'm reading them in the wrong order then. I picked 'Eagles' first because GL wrote it before 'Bordertown'.
    I thought I told you what the order was when you PM'd me, but you said something about skipping Bordertown Wanderer anyway.

Can any of you guys tell me the website where I can read the chinese versions of these novels ? Thanks.
    One site is www.qiqi.com

I thought I told you what the order was when you PM'd me, but you said something about skipping Bordertown Wanderer anyway.
    I think I was just confused or something. will read 'bordertown wanderer' after I start and finish 'world's edge'. that's the right order I think. will not read Bian Cheng Dao Sheng however.
    It means you got eyes like apostrophes, you dress white, talk black, and drive Jew. So how am I supposed to know what kind of zipperhead dog-munching dink you are if you don't?

Originally posted by dan J
    I think I was just confused or something. will read 'bordertown wanderer' after I start and finish 'world's edge'. that's the right order I think. will not read Bian Cheng Dao Sheng however.
    I'd recommend reading Bordertown first while you still have Yip Hoi and Ding Ling Lum fresh in your mind. Plus, you see what Fu Hung Sheut's roots are before reading about his fully mature persona in World's Edge. But it's up to you.

BTW - Finished Big Flag Hero. It was pretty good actually. I've never seen so many young girls faint.

BTW - Finished Big Flag Hero. It was pretty good actually. I've never seen so many young girls faint.
    it's ok I guess. not a must read in my opinion. but yeah, I noticed all the fainting too. everybody does it in the novel. even Tie Zhong Tang and Yun Zheng. luckily GL didn't continue with that in his later novels. (but he does use vomitting consistently later on) the whole ending kinda make you go 'what the ...' though. could have been a lot better. but then again, I didn't think very highly of 'Sword and Exquisiteness' either. maybe I just have bad taste.

it's ok I guess. not a must read in my opinion. but yeah, I noticed all the fainting too. everybody does it in the novel. even Tie Zhong Tang and Yun Zheng. luckily GL didn't continue with that in his later novels. (but he does use vomitting consistently later on) the whole ending kinda make you go 'what the ...' though. could have been a lot better. but then again, I didn't think very highly of 'Sword and Exquisiteness' either. maybe I just have bad taste.
    I liked all the fainting. I thought it was funny/cute. In fact, I think a lot of what GL writes is pretty funny. People give GL a hard time because of his chauvinistic portrayal of women. But if you don't take it too seriously and view it in a light-hearted manner, you might see things differently. Sure, it's stereotypical, exaggerated, and even ridiculously cliche. But it reminds me of anime in some respects. Kinda cheesy, like how anime characters fall over with a bloody nose when they see girls naked. Good girls in GL's world are pouty, extremely jealous, tend to cry and faint a lot, and experience mood swings. And the guys are completely dumbfounded by girls and just can't figure them out.

Originally posted by Goofy
    so, that manual didn't exist? I always understood that the manual existed but was only rumored to be at the Li's.
    Actually the manual is really there. At the end of the story, ....

but if i remember correctly, it's not Shen Lang's but Ong Lin Hua's.
    Last edited by Fu Hung Suet; 10-01-03 at 01:04 AM.

When I said "Ah Fei fell for her", I meant XianEr. BFF is his mother.

Shen Lang is likely his father.
    in Wu Lin Wai Shi; near the end of the story; there is a situation that you can assume that there is a possibility that BFF might bear a child for SL
    Last edited by Fu Hung Suet; 09-30-03 at 11:27 PM.

You gave away the endings! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo >.<

I liked all the fainting. I thought it was funny/cute. In fact, I think a lot of what GL writes is pretty funny. People give GL a hard time because of his chauvinistic portrayal of women. But if you don't take it too seriously and view it in a light-hearted manner, you might see things differently.
    sometimes it's kinda hard to see it in a lighthearted way when the whole mood of the story is gloomy. just makes me wanna throw the book away and go, why read when I can't enjoy it. but yeah, there are also books that just make you laugh, and I like those.

Sure, it's stereotypical, exaggerated, and even ridiculously cliche. But it reminds me of anime in some respects. Kinda cheesy, like how anime characters fall over with a bloody nose when they see girls naked. Good girls in GL's world are pouty, extremely jealous, tend to cry and faint a lot, and experience mood swings. And the guys are completely dumbfounded by girls and just can't figure them out.
    speaking of being exaggerated, I think as a whole, most characters (if not all) in GL universe are very exaggerated. men, women; heroes, villains. that just seems to be how he creates his characters. that's what you would call the GL style. only little annoy thing is too many alcoholics and too many cocky *******.

ps. to Fu Hung Suet, I think as a general rule, for us who can read the original novel, out of respect to the translator, especially, and the readers, we should not give away any plot related spoilers. just my own opinion. it would be great if you can edit out your other message so those who haven't seen it would not see it.

sometimes it's kinda hard to see it in a lighthearted way when the whole mood of the story is gloomy. just makes me wanna throw the book away and go, why read when I can't enjoy it. but yeah, there are also books that just make you laugh, and I like those.
    By all accounts Gu Long's life was not a happy one and he died young.

He was only happy when drunk and had very bad luck with very beautiful women. He was not a handsome man and did not enjoy a good relationships with his children. The only relationships he valued greatly in his life were with his male friends. And you can see how he values them in his books.

LXH and Ah Fei's relationship.
    LXF and his fellowship of friends.
    The list goes on.

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    You gave away the endings! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo >.<
    for Yang guo and dan j, my bad

i just editted my post . . .though i would say that it is not clearly indicate towards that assumption (on A Fei) and it is not the ending's factor. It is just a brief side situation ....

but IMO also gives the only strong reasoning behind the idea that there is a possible relationship between SL & A Fei. I read other books on the series and that is the only indication toward that direction ....

I think they were mainly referring to the post right before that, since thats the one that relates to this particular story.