Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Translation of Little Li's Flying Dagger(cont...)

hopelessly wandering amongst my school work

Although this might be unrelated to the topic, I reckon that in chinese Jin Yong's stories are way better. However, due to our great translators here, the Gu Long stories have been made much more enjoyable, to the degree of the most popular Jin Yong ones.

Actually, shouldn't something be better in it's original language? I have read some parts of Gu Long's novels(I didn't finish any since I got lazy and my Chinese isn't very good) in Chinese and they are just as good. Plus, his stories are easier to read in Chinese than JY's stories are since he uses more simple Chinese. But I think it depends on the story more....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Originally posted by Lonely Wanderer
    Although this might be unrelated to the topic, I reckon that in chinese Jin Yong's stories are way better. However, due to our great translators here, the Gu Long stories have been made much more enjoyable, to the degree of the most popular Jin Yong ones.
    This doesn't even make sense. Everyone has their own taste, and since it sounds like you haven't read the Chinese versions, I don't even know why you're making this claim.

I have read the Chinese versions, and I do like GL stories a lot better.

Gu Long's stories can not have a full meaning brought out in chinese because of the simplicity in the wording. Jin Yong's wording can bring out meanings more easily and clearly. It's just my oppinion.

However my chinese is really bad so I do prefer to read gulong's stories when I have to read in chinese.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I said. It is all just my oppinion.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I said. It is all just my oppinion.
    No offense taken. Just not sure what your opinion is based on.

And theres a whole body of his work that is far from simple. Even his simple style contain much deeper meaning that is quite evident in the original language.

Plus, it never fails that it's always the JY fans who haven't really read a lot of the work that believe w. 100% certainty that JY's work is better. I'm still mystified by that. Is it just following popular opinion blindly? Is it based on personal taste from a set of limited material? That's cool. Personal taste is one thing, I can't challenge that, but I see all these claims that seem to come from nowhere (i.e. how can one say something must be like this or that in Chinese when they haven't really experienced it and provide nothing to back it up?).

Not attacking anyone personally, BTW. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by TigerWong; 12-19-03 at 02:44 AM.

To Lonely Wanderer, I wasn't offended and I don't think anyone else was either. But it didn't seem like you have read the chinese versions yet. I tried to and GL's stories are really good. I must say that one thing I like more about JY's stories are he has more history which adds realness to it. I don't think GL has as much history in his stories. Yea, like Tiger said... not all of GL's stories use simple Chinese. He has a number of novels that uses really complex Chinese too. I haven't even attempted to read those since my chinese is not good enough. I even struggle with the stories that use simple chinese....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I have read some of the chinese story but I guess my opinion is formed on not reading too many texts written by gulong. I guess I should probably read a few more.

I believe it's due more to the lack of exposure mainly. I think lots of us start out watching the TV series first as little kids and then coming back to reading... and since a lot more JY adaptations are made, it just gives me the sense that JY is better.

That's starting to change now as I'm getting more and more exposed to the works of Gu Long through here

Well I actually agree with Lonely Wanderer with respect to this story ( TSATE is a different story regardless of the ending ). I read Meh's translation and immediatelly went out and ordered the chinese version, but it's not as good as Meh's translation.

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    I believe it's due more to the lack of exposure mainly. I think lots of us start out watching the TV series first as little kids and then coming back to reading... and since a lot more JY adaptations are made, it just gives me the sense that JY is better.
    Well, thats kinda what I don't get. Why does more adaptations = better? GL had more adaptations in the 70s, so what? And even if there are fewer GL adaptations in the 80s/90s, some of them were great. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. If you don't, you don't. How does quantity of adaptations/exposure/other peopes' opinions dictate quality?

As far as divine_comedy's comment, I can respect that because at least theres some basis (his personal experiences) for his opinions. And really, I'm not trying to dictate what anyone thinks. If lonely_wanderer wants to believe that GL is worse in Chinese or the writing is too simple to be deep or whatever, it doesn't matter to me. But I think those statements are wrong so I'm just adding my opinions. Plus, I don't understand how one can make those conclusions w.o. experiencing it.

To tigerwong,
    I have also watched a few adaptions of JY and GL's stories, in xiao shi yi lang (2001/2002?) I find everything very unrealistic however I don't know what the original text was like. I think that many JY stories are much more realistic which is probably why I like his stories so much.(xiao ao jiang hu 2001 and shujian en cho lu 2002/2003). I think these tv shows had some effect in why I like JY more than GL. Besides XLFD I also think that Jy story lines are simply better.

more realistic!?
    Obviously you havn't seen ZBT riding a shark. Or XLN writing a msg on the back of a bee. Or YG surviving the ordeal of his arm being cut off. Or XLN (again) surviving a jump of a cliff. Or Pixie Swordplay only being powerful if you cut off your wah-wah (Yes, we are mature on Spcnet ), or a bed of ice helping develop inner chi, etc.. It's wuxia, their both unrealistic.

I think JY novels seem more realistic to people because of the semi-historical references throughout most of his famous stories. Especially the Condor Trilogy.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

I think compared to San Shao Ye de Jian, villans controlling the dead, or the fox spirits in full moon curved sabre, JY stories are alot more realistic.

It's only my humble opinion, but I find a few of GL's novel have wierd characters. Like sometimes the way they speak to each others, it make you go . Why do they speak like that. It's like as if they're trying to act smart of mysterious or something. Also GL seems to sometimes add too much of his opinions that is annoying to me. Like "only 'that' can cause 'this' " etc, which I find very untrue many times. Of course it's just my taste, but just want to give my opinion.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

I think compared to San Shao Ye de Jian, villans controlling the dead, or the fox spirits in full moon curved sabre, JY stories are alot more realistic.
    You're jumping to conclusions again w.o. knowing the whole story, but you're entitled to your own opinion...

I know not all GuLong's sotries are like that but it's just the most extremes of both gulong and jinyong compared.

I know not all GuLong's sotries are like that but it's just the most extremes of both gulong and jinyong compared.
    That wasn't my point....

How do you know whether the things you are saying are even accurate? Where do you get this stuff from? Adaptations? Unfinished stories?

Again, I don't care how your opinions are formed. But some of the things you're passing off as "facts" are really out there....

To Lonely Wanderer, Wu Xia is supposed to be unrealistic. JY stories have a lot of unrealistic stuff in there too as Jigsta mentioned. Also the Xiao Shi Yi Lang series from 2001 or 2002(I think you are talking about Nicky Wu and Athena's version) is NOT accurate to the novel at all. You should not base GL's works on the bad adaptions. Like the CLH of 2001/2002, gosh that is a big insult to GL's novel. YOu have to read it for yourself. I am reading one of CLH's books right now and I really enjoy it. He truly is a gifted writer. I am not saying JY isn't. I think they both are gifted authors in different ways. But to me, it also depends on the story too.I like both of them but I really don't understand why everyone always thinks JY is always better.

but I really don't understand why everyone always thinks JY is always better.
    I think it's because JY's writing is more of a literary style, against GL's simple style. Kind of like comparing a major hit that won the Oscars(JY), and a great comedy that was box-office hit, but won't win any awards due to the nature of the movie(GL). The Former will always get more publicity as the "Better" movie even if they are both very popular.