Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Translation of Little Li's Flying Dagger(cont...)

Originally posted by Meh
    I think it's because JY's writing is more of a literary style, against GL's simple style. Kind of like comparing a major hit that won the Oscars(JY), and a great comedy that was box-office hit, but won't win any awards due to the nature of the movie(GL). The Former will always get more publicity as the "Better" movie even if they are both very popular.
    Yep. And I for one enjoy stuff like Kill Bill much more than movies like Braveheart. Even though both types are great.

For me, for some reasons, the adaptations of JY are imprinted in my mind when I watched them as a young kid. Like LOCH and ROCH. The other wuxias, I barely remember them. There is something I feel unique in them.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Originally posted by Meh
    I think it's because JY's writing is more of a literary style, against GL's simple style. Kind of like comparing a major hit that won the Oscars(JY), and a great comedy that was box-office hit, but won't win any awards due to the nature of the movie(GL). The Former will always get more publicity as the "Better" movie even if they are both very popular.
    Shouldn't it be the other way with GL being more literary and JY being more straightfoward? There's depths to GL's sentences that could not be found in JY's work.

I guess JY is more popular is because the fighting scenes are usually written longer and more details, and bringing the whole scenes alive in the reader's mind.

Well, depth and style are two different things. One might feel that GL probes deeper into people's mindsets, but his writing style is definitely simple, while JY's works are much more long-winded.

As for realism, JY does a much better job at making it seem like his story could've happened in history, by mixing in enough historical facts and people. While GL tends to ignore society in general and won't even bother to put up a facade.

Thumbs up Thx Meh! It's been awhile. :p

Chapter 54: The Deal [with ShangGuan JinHong]
    Comments:
    1. Too elaborate setting, just to know a child wants to enter ShangGuan JinHong’s hermetic abode. ["Theatrical"]; its the setup and showmanship.
    -
    2. A habit of GuLong fans?
    ---
    quote: But clan leader’s time is precious. So I should speak in the most direct manner, the shortest way.”
    -
    3. Really like the circular conversation.
    ---
    quote: ShangGuan JinHong snickered, and said, “You mean he’d [Xiao3Yun's father] rather see me kill you, than to give me Li XunHuan?” [...]

Long Xiao3Yun said, “Exactly.”

ShangGuan JinHong said, “You mean he’s not human?”

Long Xiao3Yun said, “He is human. But there are many different types of humans.”

ShangGuan JinHong said, “Which type is he?”

Long Xiao3Yun said, “The same as you. Anything can be used, be sacrificed, to achieve a goal.”
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    1. Because in their [Jin WuMing and ShangGuan JinHong] eyes, money is just a tool. Women are also tools. Every single luxury in the world is a tool for them. They don’t care for any of that. They only care about power. Power. Other than power, they need nothing. They live for power, and just might die for power. [First read = good, then becomes empty. ]
    -
    2. Long Xiao3Yun said, “When someone needs to ask for something, he would naturally become a lot braver.”
    -
    3. Long Xiao3Yun said, “I know clan leader would need more time to think. I’ll be living at the ‘Lucky Cloud Hotel’, waiting for clan leader’s response.”
    -
    4. ShangGuan JinHong said, “You [Xiao3Yun] already so devious at such a young age. In twenty years, you can actually be a match for me. How can [I] let you live if you weren’t crippled? [from Li XunHuan]”

Thumbs up More thx!

Chapter 55: [Lucky Cloud Hotel]
    Comments:
    1. Nice contrast bed the bedding habits of Lin Xin'Er and Xiao3Yun.
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    1. “I’ll [LIn XianEr] also tell you a secret. He [ShangGuan JinHong] might be a bit old, but still great in bed. Perhaps this is because he has more experience than others [Jin WuMing].”
    -
    2. When it comes to men, she [Lin Xin'Er] has never failed. Whether that man’s an idiot, a gentleman, or a lunatic!

Thumbs up More more Thx!

Chapter 56: Sword out of the Sheath
    Comments:
    1. Found GuLong novels to be more mentally taxing than JinYong cuz each scene seems highly structured and require more attention, while JinYong has more fillers and mental rest gaps.
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    1. Young boys do their best to be like adults. Old men do their best to be like little kids… This is certainly one of the oddities of life.
    -
    2. Or ShangGuan JinHong would crush her [Lin Xin'Er], because ShangGuan JinHong had already let slip, “I am me. I’m neither Ah Fei, nor Jin WuMing. We’re just using each other. When we no longer need each other, we can say goodbye!”
    -
    3. [Long Xiao4Yun and his son] They know that crowded places make for the best hiding places.
    -
    4. Kids and women’s minds work in similar ways.
    -
    5. Actually, the way he [Xiao4Yun] got this place [Official Fan's home] is quite simple, because money can get one in into many places. Yet most people would never think of this trick.

Thumbs up More More More Thx!

Chapter 57: Fireworks
    Correction:
    Although there’s an eight percent chance that you’ll kill me, there’s also a twenty percent chance that I’ll kill you.”
    --- correction: ... there's an "eighty" percent chance ...
    -
    -
    -
    Comments/Notes:
    1. Like the comparison and contrast betw Ah Fei and Jin WuMing. Seems Ah Fei symbolize TenacityOfLife and WuMing symbolize ...
    -
    2. Easily one of my fav chapters in LittleDaggerLi:
    ---
    quote: The reason Jin WuMing isn’t going to kill Ah Fei, is obviously not because of sympathy. It’s just that he understands Ah Fei’s pain, because he’s also experiencing that type of pain.
    -
    3. Wulin's definition of a "piercing weapon":
    ---
    quote: Long Xiao4Yun said with a smile, “Actually, this is a very ordinary dagger. It’s hardly a piercing weapon.”

Jin WuMing said, “Piercing weapon? Are you even qualified to say what a piercing weapon is?”

His eyes suddenly glanced at Long Xiao4Yun, and said, “Do you even know what a piercing weapon is?”

Jin WuMing’s eyes returned to the dagger. He said, “If it can kill, then it’s a piercing weapon. Otherwise, even the most prized and the sharpest weapons, when they fall into the hands of people like you, are just junk.”
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    1. No one knew why Heaven would make such two people [Jin WuMing and Ah Fei], why make them meet [and duel]. [author's intention of course! ]
    -
    2. When a lovesick person knew that someone else has also been discarded, his pain would lessen. When a man who lost money sees others losing even more money, he’d feel better.

Thumbs up More 4x Thx!

Chapter 58: Hero
    Comments:
    1. I didnt see all this in the movie "hero."
    ---
    quote: A hero usually represents: Coldness! Brutality! Loneliness! Ruthless!

Someone has said this about heroes:

Kill people as if they were grass, gamble like there’s no tomorrow, always drink good wine, and a [be] lecher with no regret!
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    1. Li XunHuan said, “ ‘Someone grants me one penny, I repay him three pennies back.’ ”
    -
    2. Li XunHuan examined him, and then said, “If a person has the willpower, even if he has no hand, he would still be able to use a fast sword held by his mouth. If one’s dejected, even if he has the use of both hands, would still find both hands useless.” [Another YangGuo support. ]
    -
    3. There might be only one thing in common among heroes. That is, all heroes lead depressing lives. [Tell that to firefighters. ]
    -
    Ah Fei said, “He [Xiao4Yun] saved you [DaggerLi] once, but he had hurt you many times.”

Li XunHuan chuckled, and said, “It’s not that I forgot about them. But rather, I never remember these things, because he has his worries too.”
    -
    Ah Fei thought for a while, then suddenly smiled. He said, “I finally realized, that there are many things in this world which are not fair.”

Li XunHuan said, “Not fair?”

Ah Fei said, “Not fair. For example, some people might be virtuous their whole life, but only made one mistake. Yet this one mistake would follow them their whole lives. Not only could others not forgive them, not even they could forgive themselves.”

Ah Fei continued, “Yet there are people like Long Xiao4Yun. He might’ve done only one good thing in life, and that is by saving you. So you’d never think that he’s too bad a person.”
    -
    6. Li XunHuan said, “While you may refuse to remember certain things, your mind can’t help but think about them. A person can never choose what he remembers. Perhaps this is one of the sadness of life.”
    -
    The uglier the woman, the more likely she is to do strange things. The poorer the person, the more he is to treat others to meals.

It really is quite enjoyable to treat others to a meal. Too bad not many people know how to enjoy such a thing.

Thumbs up More 5x Thx!

Chapter 59: Courage
    Interesting Lines:
    Li XunHuan thought for a long time, before he said, “You must prove this?”

Lu FengXian said, “Yes.”

Li XunHuan said, “Who are you proving to?”

Lu FengXian said, “To myself.”

Li XunHuan chuckled, and said, “That’s right. One can lie to everyone, but himself…”
    -
    But there are only a few places for life and death duels.

Empty grasslands, woods, graveyards…

Life and death duels almost always take place in one of these places. Because these places carry stenches of death.

Thumbs up More 6x Thx!

Chapter 60: Friendship
    Comments/Notes:
    1. Cheesy hero's luck: an unexplained wildfire suddenly at a duel.
    ---
    quote: Suddenly, a light appeared on the grassy plains, wildfire!
    -
    2. Techniques a lesser swordsman can beat a stronger/better opponent: [Sham?]
    ---
    quote: Li XunHuan said, “It’s possible that he’s actually more powerful than you. But you chose the best opportunity to strike. That’s where you’re better than him. That’s why you won!”
    -
    3. Wonder what will happen if Ah Fei discovers LittleDaggerLi gave him a planned winning from Lu FengXian [the MetalHand]? [It's dicey. ]
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    Li XunHuan laughed, and said, “If you want to live a bit happier, then you should never expect women to tell you the truth.”

Ah Fei said, “You think all women lie?”

Li XunHuan seemingly didn’t want to answer this question. He said, “If you’re smart, never reveal to a woman that you’ve seen through her lies. Because no matter what you say, she’ll have a good explanation waiting. Even if you don’t believe her explanation, she still won’t admit that she’s lying.”

He chuckled, and continued, “Therefore, if you meet a woman who lies, the best thing to do is to pretend that you believe her lies. Otherwise, you’re just asking for it.”
    -
    2. After all, love can’t truly control a man’s whole life.
    -
    3. Only fresh blood can bring forth one’s primal strength from within. Other things, such as love or hate, can also accomplish such things. But blood is the most direct method.
    -
    4. He patted Ah Fei on the shoulders, and said with a smile, “See, you’re still you. I told you nothing could keep you down. Remember, everyone has his bad times. Do not let such things affect you.”
    -
    5. Li XunHuan said, “But some people likes to feel threatened, because it gives them excitement, forcing them to improve. A person that’s truly ‘invincible’ would lead a very dull life.”

Thumbs up More 7x Thx!

Chapter 61: Favor
    Comments:
    1. Wow, DaggerLi is really playing with fire here.
    ---
    quote: Lu FengXian said, “You want me to kill her?”

Li XunHuan said, “I just want Ah Fei to never see her again. Because once he sees her, he wouldn’t be able to help himself.” [...]

Lu FengXian thought for a while, then said, “You can do this yourself.”

Li XunHuan said, “I can’t.”

Lu FengXian said, “Why not?”

Li XunHuan said, “Because if Ah Fei ever finds out, he’d hate me for the rest of his life.”
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting Lines:
    1. He [Lu Fengxian] said, “Someone once said, the most important thing a businessman learns is how to obtain favors. Looks like you’d [DaggerLi] make a good businessman.”
    -
    2. Only someone truly satisfied can find real happiness.

Thumbs up More 8x Thx! :D

Finally finished everything I set out to do in this forum. Yeah. I caught up now. Sorry I selected u third to read, cuz you have more chapters and that's daunting. Of course, Moin's is more daunting. o.0
    -
    Chapter 62: Major Secret
    Comments:
    1. Dont know what to comment cuz story is pretty straightforward; however, Gu Long uses the thoughts/psychology of his characters/author's_own_comments to lead the reader to a revelation or an ambush event [which then reverses to another result]. Principles of the sword come to mind.
    -
    -
    -
    Interesting LInes:
    1. Li XunHuan said, “When someone desires too much, he’s likely going to make many mistakes…”

Cool Random Comment

The theme of LittleDaggerLi so far appears to be about love in various forms/events. Friendship [Ah Fei and DaggerLi and friends], empathy [Jin Wuming and Ah Fei], love of life vs. love of killing/death [Jin Wuming and Ah Fei], sacrifice [DaggerLi and one of his friends who went against ShangGuang JinHong], etc. This theme is similar to the symbolism in ROCH.

wow, thank u so much....only chance illiterat ppl like me get to read wuxia novels, not just watch the tv series...once again...thank u very much

Wow, I finally read through all that, I wonder when the next update is coming? Hope to read more soon ^^

Looming where light doesnt shine and darkness doesn't blacken

Thumbs up

Thanx for the translations. Finally read all translations posted.
    To live life like a dream is rare. To let it happen in reality is even more rare.

Default little li's flying dagger

MEH!!!
    what happened?
    how come you're no longer translating little li's flying dagger???
    i LOVE this series so much!
    will you be getting back to it soon or must i expect a very very long wait???
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue the translation!
    thanks a bunch
    btw very nice job on the first part of the story
    i love it

I have to agree with you on this one. I really love it too.

just curious..how it sound in Mandarin for these words
    "Little Li's flying dagger,No equal under the heaven,Once leaving his hand,would never miss"..anybody can help??