Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Translation of Little Li's Flying Dagger(cont...)

I have seen some Gu Long novels that have been translated into Viet and I must say that half of the time, they aren't even his actual novels. They even write their own story. For example, they said that Ah Fei is CLH when he was younger. Gosh and to think I believed that for awhile. Until one day I finally started knowing more about GU Long's novels and reading them in CHinese to discover that that was NOT true at all. Reading the original novel in the original language is always best(or a good translation of it too).

TO TaiHan, Thanks for the info. I saw that novel at the Asian library that I go to every now and then.... BUt I didn't read it since I don't like GU Long novels translated into VIet for the reasons that I have stated above.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    I have seen some Gu Long novels that have been translated into Viet and I must say that half of the time, they aren't even his actual novels. They even write their own story. For example, they said that Ah Fei is CLH when he was younger. Gosh and to think I believed that for awhile. Until one day I finally started knowing more about GU Long's novels and reading them in CHinese to discover that that was NOT true at all. Reading the original novel in the original language is always best(or a good translation of it too).

TO TaiHan, Thanks for the info. I saw that novel at the Asian library that I go to every now and then.... BUt I didn't read it since I don't like GU Long novels translated into VIet for the reasons that I have stated above.
    I never read CLH, for the same reason you stated. After reading the first page of it, I already throw it away.

I haven't read alot of GL's novel, but I think it was only that one translator that madeup his own stories as he translate and that only go to some of translation he dones not all. the bad news is that he translate the majority of GL's works, which I hope someone go retranslate those novel. If you read The Sword and The Exquisite, Xiao Fei as CLH was also mentioned to appear within 20 years. I got to say I just hate this translator.

I like the translator, Lê Khắc Tưởng, of X11L(which there are two verisons translated) well one of them was translated fairly actuate which I compared with Becky's first 3 chapters. It just too bad he doesn't translate alot.
    IMO, the best translation, is probably the one with the title correctly translated word for word.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 09-21-04 at 09:35 PM.

I think it is really sad that ever since GL passed away, translators, producers,etc.. all abuse his stories and he can't do anything about it. Even though only one translator made up their own story, it still messes his stories up since that one translator does most of the translating. I agree with you that the best translation should be made as close to the original text as possible. It is sad that there aren't many translators for GL's novels, while everyone does JY's. I think that may be the reason why no one knows how to appreciate GL.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Finally I catch up chapter 62 and I want more...

** waiting mode ... **
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Meh has translated this novel up to Chapter 62???

Meh has translated this novel up to Chapter 62???
    Yup2.... but I want more....
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

think i will pass on this one have my hands full with ROCH, LOCH, HSDS and DGSG maybe next time...

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    If you are talking about Happy Hero the story is called Giang Hồ Tứ Quái(JiangHuSi????, the world's 4 freaks) which supposed to be translated as Hoan Lạc Anh Hùng(Happy Hero).

http://www.nhanmonquan.com/?page=story&id=45

but this verison is quite different from the one TigerWong is translating, it must been one of the older verison of it, and some scenes are actually cut out.

thank you so much! that's unfortunate that it's not the same version TW is translating for his translation is the reason i am desperately seeking this novel to read. oh such is life!

but i appreciate your help!
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Question Movie question

Does anyone know or have a suggestion as to which XLFD movie series might be the best to buy and watch? If you know where I can buy them on the web, that's would really be helpful too

Quote Originally Posted by SPQRRR
    Does anyone know or have a suggestion as to which XLFD movie series might be the best to buy and watch? If you know where I can buy them on the web, that's would really be helpful too
    The good one to watch is Legend of Dagger Lee but that isn't too faithful to the novel. Don't watch The Legend of The Flying Swordsman. I wrote a review on it so you could read it if you want to know the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Meh
    Ok, I'm going to start translating again next week, after the Labor Day holidays(going hiking). Hopefully I'll have the next chapter up by the next weekend.

Sorry about the long delay. I can't say exactly why it's been so long, but let's just say a lot of things have come up, both necessary stuffs and entertaining stuffs.

Thanks everyone for your patience. I know how annoying it is to half-finish a story. But it just can't be helped. Have a nice Labor day weekend.
    Hey Meh, I know you're enjoying the Astros playing in the playoffs, but give us a little something here.

Umm, Meh, when are you going to start translating again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Umm, Meh, when are you going to start translating again?
    We're probably gonna have to wait until the Astros lose in the playoffs.
    Maybe if they win the World Series, Meh will be so happy that he'll go on a translating spree . But he could also be so happy that he'll be out drunk every night.
    Either way, please start translating.

Default what chapter?

Anyone one remember which chapter it is when the book said something about "Lee's dagger is is most fearful when it's in his hands, because a dead person does not fear" or something a long that line.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Meh
    Ok, I'm going to start translating again next week, after the Labor Day holidays(going hiking). Hopefully I'll have the next chapter up by the next weekend.

Sorry about the long delay. I can't say exactly why it's been so long, but let's just say a lot of things have come up, both necessary stuffs and entertaining stuffs.

Thanks everyone for your patience. I know how annoying it is to half-finish a story. But it just can't be helped. Have a nice Labor day weekend.
    This is two months ago, I suggest Trinie should go ahead with her plan to continue translating this novel. Please Trinie, please, pleaaassseee, pleaaaaaasssssee

Hi guys!! Ok it looks like Meh won't be translating anymore.But I want to make sure he isn't at all since I am thinking of buying this novel to translate. I am busy with school so I will do it over my break... But I think I need to tell Meh first since I don't want to intrude on his good work..... I am still deciding, but what do you guys think is a good solution???

Talking

yes please.. do translate anyone, thank u so much
    We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor live at anchor (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

I am busy with school right now, so even if I do decide to do it, you guys have to wait(I know it has been a long wait for everyone). BUt I have to ask Meh first to see if it is ok.... Or what do you guys think I should do?

I am busy with school right now, so even if I do decide to do it, you guys have to wait(I know it has been a long wait for everyone). BUt I have to ask Meh first to see if it is ok.... Or what do you guys think I should do?

If you do translate thn take your time. I could wait a few more months. It doesn't bother me at all.

go ahead and translate, i doubt meh will have a prob. even if he does, u can just take off what u posted.