Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximum number of soldiers that a great martial artist can handle

Originally posted by oeyyong
    whats the use of gun powder?
    To make fire works of course.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

are people forgetting about archers? If an army has 10% of it force as archers then out of 1 million there would 100,000 archers. Archers stay back as well so Lion roar or not you would be full of holes before you can finish shouting.

BTW, about that Golden Lion Xie Xun's roar skill, is that a skill special to Xie Xun only, or can any wuxia fighter imitate that?

Originally posted by ruroshin
    are people forgetting about archers? If an army has 10% of it force as archers then out of 1 million there would 100,000 archers. Archers stay back as well so Lion roar or not you would be full of holes before you can finish shouting.
    Archers will never hit a sweeper monk level martial artist. They have to be within 200 meters or so to have any effectiveness at all, and that's probably fatal for them. I believe, although I'm not certain, that Wang Pin Island was at least 200 meters in diameter. Also, Sweeper Monk presumably has far more inner power than Golden Lion and thus has a correspondingly greater area of effect.

Also, when the regular soldiers melee with SM, their bodies will shield him from the arrows. And the occasional arrow that lands will do no damage to him, since even great martial artists do no damage to him with their most powerful blows. And he can simply grab a soldier or five, and use their bodies as shields against the arrows when he superleaps 200 meters at a time into the archer's ranks. Or he can simply use his tremendous inner power and tunnel underground where the soldiers can't reach and pick them off at his leisure.

Originally posted by rabadi
    BTW, about that Golden Lion Xie Xun's roar skill, is that a skill special to Xie Xun only, or can any wuxia fighter imitate that?
    Probably not just any fighter, but presumably a supreme master such as sweeper monk can.

A million would be impossible. But if they do not stay still and move around I think that someone with great martial art can take out a lot of soldiers.

Like Zhao Yun in Romance of the three kingdoms, when he had to look for Lui Beis kid in the battle field, actually had killed like a 1000 soldiers or more on his horse by moving really fast.

So if we asume that JY characters like the greats and the sweeper monk are way better they could probably kill like a hundred thousand but probably not millions. If he could kill 100 soldiers in a minute it will takes him more then 6 days to kill a million soldiers which is probably not possibles nonstop.

Just wondering, how strong were Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, or Zhang Fei compared to Xiao Feng ?
    I think ROTK fighter should be quite comparable to first class martial artists.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Originally posted by ToOn99
    Just wondering, how strong were Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, or Zhang Fei compared to Xiao Feng ?
    I think ROTK fighter should be quite comparable to first class martial artists.
    I actualy think that all characters Romance are more like strong physically. They had internal power was really not as sophisticated as those in JY universe. Like Guan Yu and Zhang Fei could lift very heavy stuff but didn't have a force field around them or neither could jump 30 feets high.

I guess that characters of Romance of the three kingdom are more or less equal to the character in Water Margin in term of martial arts skill and strengh. So if the father of GJ is related to one of the Liang Shang heros and the father of YK was related to the Yang family ( i think ) and knew the Yang spears. And both of them weren't that good.

Originally posted by Mojo Jojo
    Archers will never hit a sweeper monk level martial artist. They have to be within 200 meters or so to have any effectiveness at all, and that's probably fatal for them. I believe, although I'm not certain, that Wang Pin Island was at least 200 meters in diameter. Also, Sweeper Monk presumably has far more inner power than Golden Lion and thus has a correspondingly greater area of effect.
    Thats a lot of assumption there and remember that technique can be easily broken by using ear wax

Also, when the regular soldiers melee with SM, their bodies will shield him from the arrows. And the occasional arrow that lands will do no damage to him, since even great martial artists do no damage to him with their most powerful blows. And he can simply grab a soldier or five, and use their bodies as shields against the arrows when he superleaps 200 meters at a time into the archer's ranks. Or he can simply use his tremendous inner power and tunnel underground where the soldiers can't reach and pick them off at his leisure.
    Archers usually starts off the battle i.e. before the foot soldiers go in. There would be no body shield at that point.

Tunnel underground? Heh interesting... I think he would tire long before he can pick off 1 million at his leisure even with his internal energy.

Also, weapons are still very effective in JY universe. Remember JMZ couldn't damage XZ at all until he started using a dagger.

Thats a lot of assumption there and remember that technique can be easily broken by using ear wax
    It can be easily broken by people with exceptional inner power who use ear wax and are warned ahead of time. Sweeper Monk has lots more inner power than Golden Lion, and the average grunt soldier has lots less inner power than ZCS or YSS.

Archers usually starts off the battle i.e. before the foot soldiers go in. There would be no body shield at that point.
    How are you going to get enough archers within 200 meters of SM without him tearing them apart and without foot soldier bodyguards? SM can reach them in one leap. And archers suck when the enemy are amongst them.

Tunnel underground? Heh interesting... I think he would tire long before he can pick off 1 million at his leisure even with his internal energy.
    How are the grunt soldiers going to affect him underground? And if SM ever gets tired, he can easily just tunnel a little deeper and rest as long as necessary before resuming his killing.

Also, weapons are still very effective in JY universe. Remember JMZ couldn't damage XZ at all until he started using a dagger.
    Again, JMZ has an exceptional amount of inner power. An ordinary soldier has none. Especially against someone like SM.

If u wanted to kill thousands of people in huge crowds couldnt u just use projectiles. Like just get trees and throw'em. Or if they were top level just get lil stones or even grass . And the stone probably wouldnt just hit the person and fall off but would go thru them and continue hitting pplz behind the front pplz

I thought about HYS holding a bunch of pebbles and flicking them spontaneously to kill off an army before.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

It can be easily broken by people with exceptional inner power who use ear wax and are warned ahead of time. Sweeper Monk has lots more inner power than Golden Lion, and the average grunt soldier has lots less inner power than ZCS or YSS.
    Was this actually mentioned in the novels that you required exceptional inner power + ear wax? This is a rather pointless debate but fun never the less.

How are you going to get enough archers within 200 meters of SM without him tearing them apart and without foot soldier bodyguards? SM can reach them in one leap. And archers suck when the enemy are amongst them.
    Are you saying that JM can leap 200m? If he can do that in the few seconds it would take for shooting an arrow he would be about half the speed of sound!!

Was this actually mentioned in the novels that you required exceptional inner power + ear wax? This is a rather pointless debate but fun never the less.
    Well, the ground was actually vibrating when he roared. And fighters with less inner power than ZCS or YSS were still being driven insane even though they were covering their ears with their hands. A person's fingers and hands provide about the same amount of sonic protection as strips of cloth that ZCS and YSS were using. Ordinary soldiers with zero inner power presumably would have less protection.

Are you saying that JM can leap 200m? If he can do that in the few seconds it would take for shooting an arrow he would be about half the speed of sound!!
    200 meters would be at most 2 leaps, at least based on what I've seen in the live action series. Even if the archers get 1 volley off, do you seriously expect them to be able to penetrate Sweeper Monk's supernatural agility, missile deflection, and inner power?

BTW, 200 meters in 4 seconds would be 50 meters/second, or about 110 miles/hour. Not anywhere near 1/2 the speed of sound. And 110 miles/hour should be well within the abilities of a top wuxia martial artist. That's only about 5 times as fast as the very fastest olympic sprinters.

I think the Sweeper could probably wipe out a mil with a puff of toxic air emitted from his rear cheeks - it'd be like a sonic wind from a nuke

seriously, how long can the Sweeper run for? he could probably run straight through soldiers without a scratch, all without raising a finger - Hui Juk could probably do the same - do grunts have enough power to even attempt to injure either of these uber-fighters with their weapons?

If the soldiers kept attaking relentlessly i think any top fighter would succumb to defeat. Because u couldn't possibly fight for hours or days on end without any rest/breaks.

Killing 1 million or even a hundred thousand is stupid. But a really top level fighter can just use hit and run. Charge in, kill several hundred, then just run away for another day. It would be damn demoralising for any army to face such attacks every other day.

Xu Zhu, Duan Yu and Xiao Feng have proven that it can be done.

I just found out something in DGSD which may help answer the question:

Jin Yong wrote that more than 20 years before Duan Yanqing reached his peak, he was roughly equal to 10,000 people/soldiers. I would guess his martial arts increased three-fold at least since then. So, if we talk about someone like Xiao Feng, he should be equal to about 50,000+ people/soldiers.

Originally posted by PJ
    I just found out something in DGSD which may help answer the question:

Jin Yong wrote that more than 20 years before Duan Yanqing reached his peak, he was roughly equal to 10,000 people/soldiers. I would guess his martial arts increased three-fold at least since then. So, if we talk about someone like Xiao Feng, he should be equal to about 50,000+ people/soldiers.
    These are some pretty insane numbers, considering that the initial Mongol force with which Genghis Khan began his campaign of world conquest had only about 20,000 men.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    These are some pretty insane numbers, considering that the initial Mongol force with which Genghis Khan began his campaign of world conquest had only about 20,000 men.
    Ha. comparing wuxia fiction to real life, no?