Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How powerful is Pie Xie Jian Fa ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Hengshan did not do anything to him so it's not in his interest of hurt anyone from Hengshan.

The two fighters LPZ beat aren't first class fighters. First class fighters of SPW who do not practice Sunflower/Bixie are Feng Qingyang, Fangzheng, Chongxu, Ren Woxing. Lin Ping Zhi is nowhere close to them. Lin Yuantu was a high ranking Shaolin monk prior to Sunflower/Bixie. He was a great martial artist prior to Sunflower/Bixie.
    Linghu Chong didn't do anything to Lin Pingzhi either, yet he later took against him for whatever reason. If Lin Pingzhi had developed his hatred against Linghu Chong just a bit earlier, LHC would have been dead, along with all the Hengshan company.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Hengshan did not do anything to him so it's not in his interest of hurt anyone from Hengshan.
    Taishan and (South) Heng-shan also didn’t do anything to him, but he ambushed and killed them just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Linghu Chong didn't do anything to Lin Pingzhi either, yet he later took against him for whatever reason. If Lin Pingzhi had developed his hatred against Linghu Chong just a bit earlier, LHC would have been dead, along with all the Hengshan company.
    I think Lin Ping Zhi is angry at Linghu Chong because of these reasons, although none of it are Linghu Chong’s fault.

One, Lin Ping Zhi is extremely jealous off Linghu Chong. Linghu Chong has everything he wanted but he could have, which are fame & woman. Linghu Chong is famous for his sword skills and received recognition from first class fighters while Lin Ping Zhi received none. Lin Ping Zhi is very proud of his family’s Evil-Resisting Sword Art. Linghu Chong’s woman is true and faithful to him, but Lin Ping Zhi is extremely wary of his woman, which he thought a spy planted by Yue Bu Qun (and not to mention the castration part).

Two, he thought Linghu Chong also coveting Evil-Resisting Sword Art, as the only logical reason (to him) why Linghu Chong was at the old Lin Family House was to steal/snatch the cassock.

Lin Ping Zhi laughed mockingly. “What wrongly blaming? Ling Hu Chong also wanted to rob my sword manual. He had actually already stolen it.” – Chapter 35
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

I don't read novel but after watching all adaption I do think evil resisting sword style isn't good. Since moves were so basic even the chenzen students thought it was pointless. It was based off the internal arts which made those sword techniques powerful.

I would say if u r talking sword techniques other sects are superior since Lpz his parents got defeated by the four Cheney students easily I assume being captured.

I think that's why dongfang bu bai was powerful since he didn't use sword techniques but relied on his speed and his own experiences and techniques which y lhc couldn't break with his sword skills. I remember on smiling proud wanderer with li yapeng dfbb praised lhc sword skills and lhc in that version defeated dfbb... gotta rewatch.

So if ybq just used his hua shan sword art or other sects sword art and it probably would've been harder for lhc to defeat since lhc already remember evil resisting sword skills since first encounter with the Chenzen students....but then again lhc is smart while ybq doesn't know how to flow he follows same set of moves in order.

So evil resisting sword as a sword art is very weak and predictable even tho a had alot variations but isn't nothing unless u had internal. So I think Lpz and ybq would've been better if they didn't use those techniques but insteamed used hua shans. Imagine if taiji guy learned evil resisting sword internal using taiji sword... his taiji sword art already didn't haven't flaw, he was only losing bc lhc was absorbing his chi as they fought. Even lhc stated there was no weakness in his sword formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    So if ybq just used his hua shan sword art or other sects sword art and it probably would've been harder for lhc to defeat since lhc already remember evil resisting sword skills since first encounter with the Chenzen students....but then again lhc is smart while ybq doesn't know how to flow he follows same set of moves in order.
    If Yue Bu Qun just used Hua Shan’s or any other school’s sword arts, Linghu Chong will own him pretty fast. Just look at the duel at Shaolin, Linghu Chong just defending the whole time and everyone present agreed that Linghu Chong’s sword skills are way higher than Yue Bu Qun and if not for Linghu Chong purposely yielding, Yue Bu Qun already defeated long time ago.

Even though Yue Bu Qun knows a lot of other swordplay he could use, he knew Ling Hu Chong’s sword art was actually too strong and that Ling Hu Chong was also familiar with the Mount Hua School’s sword art. So besides the Evil Resisting Sword Art, there was no other sword art he could use that could gain victory. – Chapter 36

lhc already remember evil resisting sword skills since first encounter with the Chenzen students
    Ling Hu Chong also remembered and mastered many sword arts especially those from Five Mountains Sword Alliance and Qingcheng.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Oh yea I totally forgot lhc learned all school sword arts lol... At shaolin I was thinking that ybq didn't want to show evil resisting sword skills so he won't get caught by zlc etc and them get jumped by everyone and let everyone figure he stole the manual, killed his student, frame lhc..

I wanna see an adaption where lhc actually fights ybq and Lpz full power....2013 version the fights were so short and too much cgi didn't make it as satisfying..

I think in Steven MA version he won at shaolin, and at end ying ying Lpz lhc ganged up on ypq in order to defeat him..

In Richie Ren lhc and ypq fought skiing and I think lhc bested him..

I'm not sure how gu long and Jin Yong compared but I remember watching series against blade of honour with Louis koo, and his dad invented a sword skill with simple movesets, but after Louis practice for years perfecting it he was able to defeat some powerful people and the sword skills made it seems like he telepoets or move so fast but it was due to him executing the moves so many time the basic sword play it became so fast until evil guy figured out execute the moves also he was able to break the moves and execute them as well since moves were so basic.

So with bixie I believe that was reason Lpz became powerful because he practice the sword skill for so many years the great boost of internal helped him execute the moves goinf super speed...so I was thinking with ybq level of cultivation he should've been fast also without having to castrate since I think it was in demi gods semi devil jiumozi learned shaolin other skills but used another sects internal skills he was able to mimic shaolin techniques but since xuxu had different internal he was able to see through the flaws of jiumozi techniques

...so dfbb sun flower did it have sword skills too or some other techniques the hua shan duo created that is different from lin yitao version he produced after leaving hua shan?

So why wasn't this the case for ybq and bixie sword play? He did stated that chi cultivation is better in long run vs sword art after passing 20 years or so, so since he had high level cultivations, mastering hua Shan swords, then bixie, I would've expexted him to be so powerful, or is it because he had limitations the way he executed his skills where he follow same steps and patterns repeatedly instead of trying to figure a way to connect and make them flow together?

Off topic, Sorry was watching some parts if swordsman 2013 and it confuse me with dugu 9 philosophy..I'm not sure in that version did lhc used dugu principles and philosophy combined it with the other sects sword skills to create his own? Bc I think fqy stated if he tried to combined other sect sword skills it will leave an opening trying to connect chain the next skill since each sect have different foundation and sword style...that was why tian bugong was able to break them against lhc...then later dfbb came and help lhc and she stated his sword skilled was exceptional but didn't surpass her owns, lhc stated something and bith trained together. ..

I'm confused on what dugu sword skills are too. I always though it as formless or something, u attack the enemy, exploit weak spots, predict what moves the enemy does before hand to break it...but if there are set moves couldn't dugu 9 be broken too? Or is it just too fast or have alot sword variations steps that u can't read the moves to break it?

Will lhc be able to defeat the shaolin monk leader if he spams his palm attack like he did against Ren wo xing? I know it has sword skill to block 1000 arrows, but I would've expect each fight lhc get in he should be able to one shot everyone like the blind people he fought but that wasn't the case.

At shaolin I was thinking that ybq didn't want to show evil resisting sword skills so he won't get caught by zlc etc and them get jumped by everyone and let everyone figure he stole the manual, killed his student, frame lhc..
    Well, that was the idea...
    I wanna see an adaption where lhc actually fights ybq and Lpz full power....2013 version the fights were so short and too much cgi didn't make it as satisfying..
    I think in Steven MA version he won at shaolin, and at end ying ying Lpz lhc ganged up on ypq in order to defeat him..
    In Richie Ren lhc and ypq fought skiing and I think lhc bested him..
    The closest would be 1996 version with Jackie Liu, about 90% accuracy to the novel.
    I'm not sure how gu long and Jin Yong compared but I remember watching series against blade of honour with Louis koo, and his dad invented a sword skill with simple movesets, but after Louis practice for years perfecting it he was able to defeat some powerful people and the sword skills made it seems like he telepoets or move so fast but it was due to him executing the moves so many time the basic sword play it became so fast until evil guy figured out execute the moves also he was able to break the moves and execute them as well since moves were so basic.
    So with bixie I believe that was reason Lpz became powerful because he practice the sword skill for so many years the great boost of internal helped him execute the moves goinf super speed...so I was thinking with ybq level of cultivation he should've been fast also without having to castrate since I think it was in demi gods semi devil jiumozi learned shaolin other skills but used another sects internal skills he was able to mimic shaolin techniques but since xuxu had different internal he was able to see through the flaws of jiumozi techniques
    To practise the Evil-Resisting Sword Art, you must start with the internal energy first. If you don’t castrate yourself, once you practise it, you’ll immediately feel like you’re on fire, fire deviate, and die...
    ...so dfbb sun flower did it have sword skills too or some other techniques the hua shan duo created that is different from lin yitao version he produced after leaving hua shan?
    Sunflower Treasure Manual might not have a specific sword skill, since the three person who actually learned it directly (sort off) all came up with different interpretations of how to utilise it.
    So why wasn't this the case for ybq and bixie sword play? He did stated that chi cultivation is better in long run vs sword art after passing 20 years or so, so since he had high level cultivations, mastering hua Shan swords, then bixie, I would've expexted him to be so powerful, or is it because he had limitations the way he executed his skills where he follow same steps and patterns repeatedly instead of trying to figure a way to connect and make them flow together?
    Although Evil-Resisting Sword Art moves have no weakness, its weakness is that it was limited to seventy-two moves.
    Yue Bu Qun isn’t known for flexibility... he strictly believe that improvising your moves is a sacrilige worthy of summary execution by beheading. He also scared to use other sword arts against Linghu Chong since he knows Linghu Chong can defeat those moves instantly.

Off topic, Sorry was watching some parts if swordsman 2013 and it confuse me with dugu 9 philosophy..I'm not sure in that version did lhc used dugu principles and philosophy combined it with the other sects sword skills to create his own? Bc I think fqy stated if he tried to combined other sect sword skills it will leave an opening trying to connect chain the next skill since each sect have different foundation and sword style...that was why tian bugong was able to break them against lhc...then later dfbb came and help lhc and she stated his sword skilled was exceptional but didn't surpass her owns, lhc stated something and bith trained together. ..
    I don’t know about 2013’s adaption, I stopped watching it after one or two episodes.
    However, its not about different sects have different foundation, but its about every move is pretty much disjointed with each other. No matter how hard someone tried to joint them up together, there’s always a trace of connection that can be exploited by the opponent. And that’s where the ‘no moves’ came, if you don’t have any moves, how could your enemy break it?

I'm confused on what dugu sword skills are too. I always though it as formless or something, u attack the enemy, exploit weak spots, predict what moves the enemy does before hand to break it...but if there are set moves couldn't dugu 9 be broken too? Or is it just too fast or have alot sword variations steps that u can't read the moves to break it?
    Well, if we talk about how many the variation the moves had, the first move alone has 360 variations. Other moves’ variations weren’t told though.
    Those who fought against Linghu Chong or watched the fight has described his moves as extremely simple yet brilliant and/or extremely brilliant yet simple. Yue Bu Qun personally said Linghu Chong’s swordplay is extremely complicated.
    The only one known to beat Linghu Chong’s DG9J, was Dongfang Bu Bai. According post battle analysis by Linghu Chong, it was due to Dongfang Bu Bai’s speed. Linghu Chong could actually see the flaws in Dongfang Bu Bai’s moves, but before he could exploit it , Dongfang Bu Bai already moved away so the flaw pretty much not a flaw anymore.

Will lhc be able to defeat the shaolin monk leader if he spams his palm attack like he did against Ren wo xing? I know it has sword skill to block 1000 arrows, but I would've expect each fight lhc get in he should be able to one shot everyone like the blind people he fought but that wasn't the case.
    Linghu Chong did learned Palm Breaking Stance and successfully used it against Great Songyang Palm Yue Hui although whether he could use it againts the Shaolin Abbot is another matter.

Dang u guys know alot! I have short term memory lol so forget the alot of stuff.

So would u say lhc at end after learning the shaolin arts will he be able to beat dfbb by himself?

What's the distance of start suckling skill? Couldn't lhc or rwx just absorb energy from afar?

They gotta make prequel so we can learn more about fqy and the sunflower etc...

I feel like in smiling proud wanderer speed trumps everything...tian bugong was known for his speed and basically he could run and own some powerful people..so lhc barely learning dugu for day was able to defeat tbg knife speed skills...and sunflower and bixie relied on that huge internal boost in order for the skillset to be useful...so after learning bixie y didn't ybq seem fast etc line Lpz fighting mogau etc? So bixie u can't use other sword skills or its preferably better to use the ones made for it?

After learning dugu skills we don't see lhc practice at all which makes u wonder. All he probably did was recite the sword philosophy every night...so wouldn't u think with tian bu gongs already fastspeed, if he had dugu 9 wouldn't he be unstoppable

Dang u guys know alot! I have short term memory lol so forget the alot of stuff.

So would u say lhc at end after learning the shaolin arts will he be able to beat dfbb by himself?

What's the distance of start suckling skill? Couldn't lhc or rwx just absorb energy from afar?

They gotta make prequel so we can learn more about fqy and the sunflower etc...

I feel like in smiling proud wanderer speed trumps everything...tian bugong was known for his speed and basically he could run and own some powerful people..so lhc barely learning dugu for day was able to defeat tbg knife speed skills...and sunflower and bixie relied on that huge internal boost in order for the skillset to be useful...so after learning bixie y didn't ybq seem fast etc line Lpz fighting mogau etc? So bixie u can't use other sword skills or its preferably better to use the ones made for it?

After learning dugu skills we don't see lhc practice at all which makes u wonder. All he probably did was recite the sword philosophy every night...so wouldn't u think with tian bu gongs already fastspeed, if he had dugu 9 wouldn't he be unstoppable
    Well in SPW they show that technique trumps everything via LHC, but then shows that speed trumps even technique via DFBB. Conclusion is just that speed and technique are the most important things, and if you're extremely strong in one you can be weak in the other. The perfect fighter would of course be strong at both.

I doubt LHC at the end of SPW could defeat DFBB -- they were fighting 3 on 1 and DFBB was extremely leisure during the whole fight while all of them were close to death every millisecond; any improvement in inner strength is of course good but they were many classes apart. DFBB felt like a professional athlete praising up and coming high schoolers.

Although Linghu Chong is a martial arts genius, Dongfang Bu Bai also a genius himself and had more than twenty years head start. Morever, after learning the Tendon Altering Sutra, Linghu Chong didn’t actually engaged in a life and death battle anymore, so his progress would be way slower than before.

The pratitioner needs to be in contact with the target.

At first, after learning Dugu Nine Swords, Linghu Chong swordplay was indeed only faster than Tian Bo Guang. But as time went on, Linghu Chong’s swordplay became the exact restraint/counter to Tian Bo Guang’s fast sabre moves.

Yue Bu Qun did became faster when he fight.

Why can’t someone use other sword arts with Evil-Resisting Sword Art’s speed boost? After all, Dongfang Bu Bai did use Sunflower Treasure Manual’s speed boost when fighting against Linghu Chong and co.

After learning Dugu Nine Swords, Linghu Chong was in life and death battle against powerful opponents. So he didn’t actually ‘practice’ much, but he’s actually ‘using’ it. So its more like on-the-job training where he actually applied the Dugu Nine Swords to the fullest ability. A single second in real life and death battle worth more than hundred or even thousand hours of practicing in a safe condition.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    technique trumps everything via LHC, but then shows that speed trumps even technique via DFBB. Conclusion is just that speed and technique are the most important things, and if you're extremely strong in one you can be weak in the other. The perfect fighter would of course be strong at both.
    I think there's more than just speed and technique.
    DG9J is about taking the initiative, anticipating the enemy’s moves, and quick thinking. It's described as 'unpredictable and formless', but it's also accurate and controlled.

Here's an excerpt of FQY speaking about fight with Tian Boguang.
    By anticipating and seizing the initiative, you can defeat a faster opponent:
    The chap Tian Boguang’s fast knife chops are surely very fast…For an old rotten folk like me, if I still wanted to be faster than him, then the only solution would be launching my attack before he even starts his. If you can foresee what kind of a move he will be using and then scramble before him, before the enemy even raised his hand, your sword is already pointing at his vital parts. That way no matter how fast your enemy is, you will still be faster...Anticipating the enemy beforehand’ is precisely the key to this set of sword techniques. Before anyone executes a move, there will always be many signs that you can catch.
    Take the initiative:
    Dugu Nine Swords, once stepping in, never steps back! Every technique is an attacking technique. When you force your enemy to have no other choice but to defend himself, of course there’s no need to defend yourself...If anyone could have forced him to draw his sword back and defend himself, the respectful master would have burst with joy
    From the DFBB fight
    When against a faster opponent, you can't give up the initiative:
    Dongfang Bubai's speed was simply unimaginable...Luckily that strike from Linghu Chong was incredibly swift as well, it forced his opponent to draw up a defence...Linghu Chong was startled immensely, he knew that today he had run into a foe of unimaginable power. He knew that if he gave his opponent the leisure of the initiative, his life would be in grave danger.
    LHC later reflects on the fight; even the fastest adversary will have flaws:
    Dongfang Bubai moved as fast as lightning and was unbelievably quick...even though there were still weaknesses in the movements of his body and attacks, they were only fleeting. Linghu Chong only managed to see the flaws but they were gone in the next instant which made him unable to attack those flaws
    LHC fights YBQ.
    You can beat faster foes by anticipating their moves.
    Every sword art repeats, and when it repeats you can take advantage:
    His Evil Resisting Sword Art is extremely quick, and his flaws aren't actual flaws. Even though there's no weakness in his sword moves, I've finally found out a weakness in his swordplay -- his swordplay repeats...In this world, in whichever sword art, no matter how complicated and how many changes your swordplay had, you would eventually finish using all the sword moves.
    LHC predicts YBQ's move and counters him:
    So seeing Yue Buqun using this move again, he immediately sent his sword out...The spot that this slanting sword was stabbing at was the weakness of Yue Buqun's next move...This was really anticipating what the enemy was going to do and made Yue Buqun's really anxious. Even though this move by Yue Buqun was extremely quick, Linghu Chong's attack was done earlier. The move from the Evil Resisting Sword Art had not changed yet, but Linghu Chong had already thrust at Yue Buqun's armpit making him unable to block or dodge...Yue Buqun's face was pale as he slowly nodded his head. "Alright! I admit defeat.”
    YBQ and LPZ are stuck on specific moves and stances, which make them predictable. If DFBB repeats his moves, then LHC should be able to capitalize.

According to Jin Yong, here's how to be unbeatable:
    Be fast, be unpredictable, take the initiative, anticipate the enemy's moves.
    Last edited by iwillfearnoevil; 09-24-16 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iwillfearnoevil View Post
    According to Jin Yong, here's how to be unbeatable:
    Be fast, be unpredictable, take the initiative, anticipate the enemy's moves.
    To me, this seems like common sense. It's the EXECUTION that defies most people.

Yeah I agree, but for some people it's fundamentally against their nature.
    Most of Jin Yong's characters are stuck in the mindset of moves and sets. Everything has to be textbook and follow the rules. Even today, a lot of martial artists get stuck on forms, katas, patterns etc. And in daily life, I see some coworkers who are pedantic and perfectionist to a fault. Sometimes that's good, but other times they get bogged down following documentation or directions; if anything has changed or something new happens, they have no idea how to respond.

I'm sure you know people like this in your life:
    Yue Buqun was a very strict teacher. When his apprentices practiced forms or sword arts, if anyone’s arm or leg were slightly off from the perfect position, he would immediately correct them. Everyone’s every move or posture had to be in the absolutely perfect position without a single error to get his approval.

Sorta off topic but did yang Guo learn or made his own sword art then it did he just used some of dugu philosophy and applied what he thought it was and created his own sword play with his?

So with all this speed techniques execution flexibility would u say that if lhc learn bixie hed be unstoppable?

In novel does it say how long ybq practiced it or lpz? So would u guys think if ybq had practiced it for over ten years as well will ybq or dfbb be stronger?

And lyt was considered tip tier at his time, did it state if fqy had any encounter with him or detailed more of fqy encounter with the shaolin monk and wudang guy?

After lyt created the evil resisting would u say at that time is he stronger or fqy, we're they around same age?

I liked all the adaption of smiling proud wanderer but regardless my favorite will always be 96..

http://dramacity.club/watch-online/s...nity/episode-1
    Last edited by Mido-Ban; 09-24-16 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    To me, this seems like common sense. It's the EXECUTION that defies most people.
    Exactly. Easy to say but how to do?

I can also come up with a one liner like : Hit people first! Knock out with 1st hit! Always win!

Now lets see ya do it!

As for this excerpt:

Dongfang Bubai moved as fast as lightning and was unbelievably quick...even though there were still weaknesses in the movements of his body and attacks, they were only fleeting. Linghu Chong only managed to see the flaws but they were gone in the next instant which made him unable to attack those flaws

Duh! I mean I can fight a champion boxer and the moment the bell rings before 0.4 seconds has passed that he knocks me out, I am pretty sure the flaw in his punch is that the back of his head is exposed. If you can't use it, technically it is not a flaw! Just like whatever magical sword stance LHC used against his opponent, I am sure that the back of his head was exposed or his nuts was when he was executing that magical stance. But you can't take advantage of that can you? Is that a flaw?
    Last edited by CC; 09-27-16 at 11:25 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    DFBB is really good whereas YBQ and LPZ aren't. It's hard to believe that they are technically learning the same martial art. They are not even in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I can also come up with a one liner like : Hit people first! Knock out with 1st hit! Always win!

Duh! I mean I can fight a champion boxer and the moment the bell rings before 0.4 seconds has passed that he knocks me out...
    Looks like the champion boxer took your advice to heart in order to knock you out! Hit first, knockout with first hit!

To continue with the boxing analogy:
    DG9J is basically counterpunching: read or anticipate the opponent, strike him where his guard is open, perhaps even beat him to the punch, even though he started to move first. And LHC is the Floyd Mayweather Jr of Wuxia. (Although LHC lucked out a lot since most people backed off whenever he threw one of his mutually-assured destruction moves.) Since everybody else is doing set moves, once someone starts a move or a variation of a move, they completely telegraph their intentions and are predictable and easily countered.

Like everyone is saying, it's easy to say, hard to do. I think in a lot of ways (minus the arrow breaking and qi breaking stuff), DG9J is pretty realistic. Not sure why people find DG9J ridiculous (maybe it's the way it's filmed in various adaptations?), when all the other skills are people flying around, blowing things up with qi, doing set moves and shouting the name of the move while they do it. The only part I find ridiculous is that no one else in Wulin figured out how to use the same premise behind DG9J.

Quote Originally Posted by iwillfearnoevil View Post
    The only part I find ridiculous is that no one else in Wulin figured out how to use the same premise behind DG9J.
    They kind of do, minus the ridiculous branding and name. Essentially, Gu Long swordsmen such as Sai Mun Chui Sheut or Ah Fei use the same philosophy. Even Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do is based on the same general philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    They kind of do, minus the ridiculous branding and name. Essentially, Gu Long swordsmen such as Sai Mun Chui Sheut or Ah Fei use the same philosophy. Even Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do is based on the same general philosophy.
    It's not just GL swordsmen, essentially most martial artists in all novels know this philosophy to a degree. We just have to believe that their method of application and understanding is just far far inferior to DG9J.

It's the same concept with Dragon Palms which has the underlying concept of just strike them hard and all sophistication can be overcome. Pretty much any person using a heavy weapon or heavy palm strikes is using the same philosophy, they just can't do it as well and we have to accept that it makes sense in the wuxia world.

I like to think of it as an attempt to get from Point A to Point B fastest. Everyone *knows* a straight line is the fastest way, but there are obstacles in the way; the more advanced a martial art supposedly is, the more obstacles it allows you to avoid or jump over so you can better move there in a straight line without wasting effort to zigzag around.
    Last edited by tape; 09-30-16 at 01:05 AM.

Off topic, too lazy to make another but how strong is the golden snake sword? Watching 90s tvb golden snake sword with ekin and it's one of strongest sword techniques, and currently watching tvb crimson sabre 2000. It seems powerful but main character has alot of hua shan and that other sect moves, so I can't tell if he's strong bc of the golden snake sword or his other techniques he mastered.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    It's not just GL swordsmen, essentially most martial artists in all novels know this philosophy to a degree. We just have to believe that their method of application and understanding is just far far inferior to DG9J.

It's the same concept with Dragon Palms which has the underlying concept of just strike them hard and all sophistication can be overcome. Pretty much any person using a heavy weapon or heavy palm strikes is using the same philosophy, they just can't do it as well and we have to accept that it makes sense in the wuxia world.

I like to think of it as an attempt to get from Point A to Point B fastest. Everyone *knows* a straight line is the fastest way, but there are obstacles in the way; the more advanced a martial art supposedly is, the more obstacles it allows you to avoid or jump over so you can better move there in a straight line without wasting effort to zigzag around.
    This reminds me of the old Jademan Buddha's Palm comics. There was one story arc in which the antagonists had a team of seven men who could form a Big Dipper formation. The formation was so exquisite and perfect that it had no flaws in it whatsoever. It cut open the Shaolin Eighteen Lohan formation, and never met a match until they finally met the main protagonist Long Jiuzhou. Long had previously seen them in action, and realising that there was no way he could overcome the formation, channeled his inner power into his sword and charged headlong into the formation. Through sheer brute strength he shattered the swords of the seven men and by the end one of them was killed and the other six were wounded. All seven swords were broken, and his own shattered as well once he stopped channeling the inner power into it. He praised Master Polaris that the formation was perfect, and conceded that there was no way he could have broken it in terms of swordplay.

So yes, it's not always about whether there is a weakness or not, it's whether or not you can capitalise on it. Even if there are no *technical* weaknesses there may be other weaknesses in terms of inner power or speed or strength. If you were caught in Ren Woxing's or Xie Xun's roar, or Huang Yaoshi's flute melodies (assuming you met the prequisites to be affected) or in Ding Chunqiu's Three-Smile poison (and you have some form of internal injury), it really doesn't matter how exquisite your sword skills are, and whether there are any weaknesses in technique.

Another example is Dugu Yihe - Ximen Chuixue saw his weaknesses, but Dugu Yihe could cover his weaknesses before Ximen could take advantage of them. In the end the victor was decided through inner power (or lack of it) and not sword technique.