Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Jin Yong books

Default Questions about Jin Yong books

I was just looking through amazon.com and saw some Jin Yong books. They only had HSDS and ROCH. At first, I thought they were English translations, but for the young adult reader. But I read some reviews and it said they were comic books! Has anyone read these or has bought them before?? I was going to get them, but am not sure if they are worth it. How good do they tell the actual stories compared to the actual novels? Are there a lot of parts left out?? They are in comic form and not the of a novel right? thanks! If you guys don't know what I am talking about, just go to amazon.com and type in Louis Cha and you will see the books/comics.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

The ones you found on Yesasia are a comic adaptation of the novel. I've only glanced over a few of them when I was in a bookshop and thought the artwork is pretty cool. On its faitfulness to the novels, supposedly (I haven't bought any yet), they stick pretty close to the novel. However, as I was glancing through the first volume of The Legendary Couple (ROCH), I noticed that the monk who stopped Li MoChou from killing her lover and his wife was reverend Yideng when it was supposed to be some unknown monk from the Celestial Dragon Monastary. It's not too much of a deviation but a deviation from the novel none the less. The translation is pretty good as well though I have one or two niggly things I don't like about them.

I guess if you like comics then you might want to get them. There is also another ROCH comic about somewhere...

I've wondered in the bookstore and found such ROCH comics and well it seems they've got West Poison Au Yeung Fung twice or Zhou Bo Tong's name twice for both Au Yeung Fung and Zhou Bo Tong? I don't know why...maybe it was just an error in printing.

All the males characters look buffed up eh...just imagine street fighter or something and the female characters look weird too.

I rather choose watching adaptations, translations than comics. Just kinda ruins the image u had of them.

Thanks you guys! I guess I will skip it then. I would rather read the actual novels themselves when I have time. I thought they were in the novel form with pictures just like a story book. I didn't realize that they were comics. Thanks for the info!!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

If you can get your hands on the LOCH comic series it would be worthwhile, though. That series is excellent. DGSD was pretty impressive as well, although they seemed to have modified a lot in the ending (it's still an amazing experience). I'm trying to follow XAJH now, and the artwork is significantly below that of the previous two, but it's still fun in it's way. I've also seen an issue of the Jademan HSDS, and it looked really really good, so it might be worth checking out too. I've never seen the ROCH comics, though.

Ian

To Ian, Thanks for your info! I have some more questions though. So are the pictures all in color? How is the artwork? I only saw HSDS and ROCH comic series in English. I saw DOMD and LOCH in Chinese at yesasia. I also saw Gu Long's Jue Da Shuang Jiao comic books too. I want to get them in English if I do get them since my Chinese isn't too good. Also, there are so many issues that it is pain to try to track them all down since some of them are sold out. Do you have any of these series??

If we are talking about the same set, no, they are not in colour, because I have some of the roch comics, but never bothered finished them, because well, I don't like how they translate it to english, it sounds really weird, like YG calling XLN "little aunt", I mean no one really speaks in that manner in real life.

There are two ROCH comics.

One is published by asiapacbooks. Its Shendiao manga and as far as I know, in chinese and is in black and white. This is their website: http://www.asiapacbooks.com/shendiao/manga/.

The other ROCH graphic novel available is the one published by comicsone and is called The Legendary Couple. This one is iin english and is in colour. Check out their site, they have other kung fu comics in english. http://www.comicsone.com/

Thanks for the info foreva!! I know that it would sound wierd with the english translations. I guess I should try getting it in Chinese since my Chinese is decent enough to read the novels for the most part. I guess it's good for me to practice my Chinese.

A big thanks to Noodles for the links and info! I really appreciate it!!I will definately check out the sites.

By the way, are there different versions of the comics?? Are all of JY's novels available in comic version? what is the name of the LOCH comic in English(if it is available)? I saw the comic of DOMD and LOCH in Chinese at yesasia too.
    Last edited by Trinie; 03-30-04 at 04:18 AM.

I find that, after watching the adaptations, and then reading the books, it is a great help, because you basically understand the story line, and can just "breeze over" those phrases that you may actually have a hard time understanding.

As far as I know, the comics do come in chinese, so maybe you can get them in chinese.

I already know they come in Chinese. I was wondering if they were all available in English but I just found out that only some of them are available in English so far. I have seen a lot of the adaptions but not all of them are faithful to the novel. I just hope these comics are if I do get them. I just found out that HSDS dragon sabre will have 25 volumes!! That's a lot and each issue is like $13-14! That would be a lot of money for just one set. I think getting the actual novel would be even cheaper that just one comic series...

The LOCH comic series is amazing - the detail is pretty good. You learn a LOT of respect for the Quanzhen Big Dipper formation when you read the comics, and learn a bit more about how Huang Yaoshe managed to break it, and why he was in genuine danger when Guo Jing joined in the fight - it wasn't just about wugong level....

All the comics I have are black and white, although I've seen the recent releases in colour. I think they all come out in colour in weekly/bi-weekly comics, then after it's over they reprint them in nice black and white compact novel sizes, which are the ones I have. The only colour series I'm reading is Flying Fox, because it hasn't quite gotten to the black and white stage yet.

Ian, where do u get/buy those loch and dgsd comics? Any websites to check out??

Thanks a lot.

I don't know where you can get them now. I bought them as they came out monthly (with the agony of waiting for each month's issue), and in those days you could buy them off any good newsagents or magazine stall in Kuala Lumpur.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Hi Trinie! I would recommend the asiapac version of ROCH. It is about 90% accurate to the original novel.
    The other version is not really accurate, and sometimes the cartoonist (Tony Wong) has the nasty habit of blowing things out of proportion. Adding (ludicrous, unnecessary) scenes to produce another few extra volumes to increase the sales.
    He did the same with DGSD comic, completely ruining it. The entire stoy lost credibility.

The LOCH comic is very nice too, however I just think that Huang Rong looks a bit plain. In fact all the girls in the comic look a bit too plain. That is my only complaint.
    Last edited by Athena; 03-31-04 at 05:32 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Loved the DGSD comic version. XF in it was just brutal.
    ROCH was not as good, either in artwork or fights.
    Comic adaptations usually follow the novels quite closely except they will improvise extra fights wherever they can (well it is comics)

Originally posted by Noodles
    There are two ROCH comics.

One is published by asiapacbooks. Its Shendiao manga and as far as I know, in chinese and is in black and white. This is their website: http://www.asiapacbooks.com/shendiao/manga/.

This one is definitely in English. I seen it before. It follows the book well enough, just that it doesnt have the space to show everything.

Originally posted by Athena
    Hi Trinie! I would recommend the asiapac version of ROCH. It is about 90% accurate to the original novel.
    The other version is not really accurate, and sometimes the cartoonist (Tony Wong) has the nasty habit of blowing things out of proportion. Adding (ludicrous, unnecessary) scenes to produce another few extra volumes to increase the sales.
    He did the same with DGSD comic, completely ruining it.

The LOCH comic is very nice too, however I just think that Huang Rong looks a bit plain. In fact all the girls in the comic look a bit too plain. That is my only complaint.
    I think the changes are acceptable granted they are kungfu comics (the buffed up guys, the exagerated fights and kung fu ala Lung Fu Mun, Street Fighter, Fung Wan etc).

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

I don't mind to improvising by the cartoonist. By my guest I would even say. But there is a limit, I mean Tony Wong stepped over the limit like about three million times in DGSD. Sometimes I would think:"The who whatting how with the huh?" every time I could look into some of the DGSD volumes. Entire woods turning into ice, for goodnes sake! Xiao Feng being defeated by Ding Chunqiu and being burried by Xuzhu. And the entire region every animal died because Xiao Feng was using his internal energy to force the poison from his body.
    Oh my word! It sounds ridiculous!

Stormriders and stories similar to it belong to the genre: fantasy/wuxia. But DGSD is plain and simple: wuxia.
    I don't mind seeing dragons, unicorns, deep-freeze forests in wuxia/fantasy. But I do have objections in seeing those in plain wuxia.
    Call me conservative.
    Last edited by Athena; 04-01-04 at 06:44 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

To Athena and everyone! Thank you very much for your info and the links. I was looking at one version of the ROCH comics the other day at the comicone site and was NOT impressed at all. Thanks for recommending me a better version.
    So they have a comic for DGSD too??Which version is the best? Do they have one in English for DOMD or the Sword Stained with Royal Blood?? I actually really like Bi Xue Jian even though it isn't really popular. I didn't realize that there was more than one version of the comics. I want ones that aren't too exaggerated and are accurate to the novel. By the way, after reading the comics, do you get a good feel of how the actual novel is?? I have always wondered about that since I am too lazy to read the actual novels.

To Noodles, Thanks for the link! Too bad it is in Black and White. I prefer color. But I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Trinie; 03-31-04 at 05:54 AM.