Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fic Challenge

Default Swifty's Fic Challenge Thread

Think I should have something like that?
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 04-08-04 at 01:17 AM.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Damn it, SOME feedback would be appreciated.

Heck, now I remember why I don't post my stuff here anymore.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Talking

Sorrie, I can't speak for anyone else but me and well I've been busy so I haven't been checking out the threads here. But I think the reason why theres no feedback is because you didn't specify or make clear of what idea you wanted feedback on so yeah..thats pretty much it.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

You're probably not getting any responses because people don't understand your question. What's a fic challenge? A fanfic contest?

*sigh* I was actually waiting for at least somebody to ASK if they don't understand.

Well, a fanfic challenge is something I usually see in other fanfic-oriented forums. A person puts out a challenge (asking some people to write something, usually it's a simple and short stuff), and waits as people take the challenge.

After that, everyone becomes much happier as the forum has a couple of new fics that are supposed to answer the challenge.

For example:

I post something, challenging people to write a 'parody fic that pokes fun at Taiwanese serials'

And see whether people want to take the challenge or not.
    Swifty, Writing

Perhaps everyone here is too shy to ask? Sure, sounds like fun. But keep in mind that most writers who contribute to the fanfic forum are pretty busy and may not be able to produce stories so quickly. What's your first challenge? Something simple, please...

Heh.

Rewrite the ending of Square Pegs.

It can be short, a one-shot, has only one scene, it doesn't matter. Many aren't happy with it, so here's the chance to prove they can do better than TVB writers!

How's this?
    Swifty, Writing

I have never watched Square Pegs and I don't think I will, so to write a new ending for it would be impossible for me.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Well, let's see how many people can take the challenge.

If none can, I'll just change it. Simple simple.
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    I have never watched Square Pegs and I don't think I will, so to write a new ending for it would be impossible for me.
    lol...i never seen it either...maybe u should make more popular series?

Well, considering that Square Pegs was the highest-rated TVB series ever, with all those broken ratings records, I assumed that it should be popular here.

But name me a few series that are popular here, then.
    Swifty, Writing

I haven't seen Square Pegs, either. How about a challenge involving a wuxia/ancient series, as most writers here deal with martial arts/ancient fanfics?

Haha. Actually, I was thinking of something more modern, since I'm thinking of encouraging people to write something they've seldom write before.

It wouldn't be a challenge if I don't do that, right?
    Swifty, Writing

Modern? Okie, but it has to be one which most people have watched. My mind is drawing a blank right now, because all I can think of are the swordfights in the ancient series.

Hmm...I don't know if "In the Realm of Success" is a popular series but I just rewatched that series and recovered some thoughts I had about it before and well I think there were alot of stuff I could take and rewrite it so it would be tons better than the series was. It seems like TVB cutted out some scenes from that series.

Then hmm...theres always that "A Matter of Customs" ending with Wong Hei dead or alive cliffhanger.

Umm...Some say they like to see a different ending to Greed Mask, with how they're unsatisfied with Wayne Lai being the former Halina Tam(sp?).

Eh...hmm what else...

I have rarely seen a 'modern series' but prefer 'wuxia series' instead so am not much help here in terms of writing continuations or altered endings of TVB (or any other) modern series for that matter.

I've got an idea though. Why don't we all get together and create our own 'modern round robin fanfiction' that discusses critical issues in the world today like war, peace, terrorism, faith and religion.

But the rules of the round robin are that every writer who makes a post must keep it to 1 standard page in word in 12pt New Times Roman font. I think that would be interesting! What does everyone else think?
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Originally posted by Long
    I have rarely seen a 'modern series' but prefer 'wuxia series' instead so am not much help here in terms of writing continuations or altered endings of TVB (or any other) modern series for that matter.

I've got an idea though. Why don't we all get together and create our own 'modern round robin fanfiction' that discusses critical issues in the world today like war, peace, terrorism, faith and religion.

But the rules of the round robin are that every writer who makes a post must keep it to 1 standard page in word in 12pt New Times Roman font. I think that would be interesting! What does everyone else think?
    Long, its been done before people have participated in some modern round robins here but seems no one have time to continue on...heck no one has continue the Ancient/wuxia round robin that Spcnet has started, which is extremely good and had many writers but it seems no one is continuing...at the time being.

Yeah, I murdered the last modern round robin.

Hell, it's hard to issue a challenge for wuxia fics, considering everybody here writes wuxia stuff. And as I said before, some diversity would be nice, thus the point of this fic challenge.

Aha. How about Threshold of an Era?
    Swifty, Writing

I have a premonition that I'll be ignored if I don't change my challenge to Wuxia.
    Swifty, Writing

Default not necessarily

You just need to find a modern series that everyone here that is interested has seen. You don't have to make this challenge huge, just one or two people, plus yourself would give it plenty of flavor.

The problem with doing your challenge with wuxia novels is that the original epic work is etched so firmly into our mind that anyone trying to rewrite the ending to one of those novels would fail miserably. Imagine if even Jin Yong himself decided to change the ending to one of his novels. There would be so much public outcry!

On another note, writing good, satisfying endings is bloody hard! (which is why a lot of them flop) How about doing something fun and a tiny bit challenging that could ignite a creative spark... like creating a wuxia character? (complete with descriptions of background, physical features, weapons, martial arts styles etc).

There was a thread like that in another forum I used to frequent and it was pretty fun. Especially reading some of the wackier characters.