Page 1 of 63 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi Gods And Semi Devils 2003 《天龍八部》

Default Demi Gods And Semi Devils 2003 《天龍八部》

I just watched one episode of this series and i'm beginning to dislike it.

it's too way over the top. the fighting is like bunch of still pictures flashing across the screen and the computer effects are too mind numbing. these gizmos become distracting after a while and eclipse the storyline.

it's like china just finally figured out how to do computer effects and it wants to show off everything. kinda like a beginning web designer who just learned a few tricks and develops his web pages with buncha flashy effects....boring.

darn it, if people want effects just watch legend of zu or something but don't make this into a 50 hr zoooo
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-07-11 at 10:44 PM.

You're a girl or what ? Just checking, cos guys are not permitted to flame DGSD 2003.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Which episode did you watch? From watching 1 and 5 I don't think it's being overdone. There might be too much camera movement but it doesn't distract from the story.

i don't think it's terrible, but i dont' like it, and not only cuz ofthe comp effects..........but i feel like the fighting wasn't that good, at least not better than book and sword 02, there was still too much swinginig cameras and stuff...

the script was okay, some parts were hurried, some parts were slowed down too much

the actors were pretty bad i thought, except for a few....but tha'ts just my opinion

I saw episode 5.

The computer grid chessgame did it for me.

My opinion and reason for liking JY stories is that they are in the realm of believability. I think it's possible to fly a short distance or to have lightness skill or to have inner power.

But don't overdo them with all these gizmos and cgi.

Just think of the characters as superheroes.

In the novel the chess scene was when each guy would write on stone with his hand/a metal staff, so the CGI chessboard isn't all that overboard.

Not perfect, but still many times better than TVB's crap though.

The acting, as with other Asian productions, isn't that great, I agree.

Mrs. Ma's death scene seemed too easy... she didn't seem to be even in much pain.

Flyingfox,

I hope you're not talking about TVB's DGSD96 adaptation because I thought it was good, although, I would've picked someone else to play Xiao Feng and Morong Fu. Otherwise, it's a good adaption, don't dismiss it just because of some things. IT's still good and far from crap.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default Demi Gods And Semi Devils 2003 《天龍八部》

Well, if you want believability, DGSD is just not for you. The martial arts in the book is by far the most unbelievable of all Jin Yong novels. The series simply paralleled it. Of course, I'm not saying that people in the book can do the stuff in the series, but they come pretty damn close.
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-07-11 at 10:43 PM. Reason: 大太監

that chess thing was done pretty badly...in the novel, at least the ppl used their strength to write on the stone/metal thingy...but here, it's all in the air...y couldlnt' then have done it just like the book, y did they change it so much? i don't get it...

i sawa coupel of espidoes of the 97 version, felix was good, but the costumes were pretty bad....espeically his thingy aroudn his head...and i think ppl prolly thinkof him as gj too much to now think of him as xf

i agree with flyingfox, the acting is terrible......there are other better actors in china, taiwan, and hk

For the sake of my stomach, I no longer watch TVB ancient series. They can do modern series ok since it doesn't require lots of $ for sets/costumes, etc., but I cannot stomach their cheap productions.

I enjoyed those series when I was around 10-ish cuz I was too young to know any better, but now that I do, I will not watch TVB wuxia adaptations.

I thnk I may watch ep 18 tonite, depends on if I have time.

I can only say such a comment is very ignorant and biased. If you are comparing the CG in DGSD 03 to LOTR's, you may say it's horrible.
    But if you are matching it up against other tv wuxia adaptations(tvb, taiwan, singapore etc), I have to say you must steer clear of all tv wuxia adaptations from now on, because CG in others are only ten times more horrible and cheesier.

My personal preference is that they don't use too much special effects.

What I'm seeing is that they tend to use them in too many situations which degrades the quality of the movie.

I prefer that they do it like Crouching Tiger Hidden dragon and use CG for special skills like 6MSJ or something.

I like the fighting scenes in the 82 version of DGSD, especially the fighting scene at Shaolin with XF and MRF. XF likes to fight with one arm.

It was so funny to see MRF get beaten so badly that he had to hide behind his girlfriend to escape DY's laser beams.

Never saw DGSD82, but did see a clip of the battle at Hero Gathering Manor... all I can say is that the fighting and costumes look gay and weak. Almost like gay guys catfighting while wearing sissy clothes. Hilarious stuff, for like 5 seconds.
    This account is retired.

to Candide(if u still r reading this): why can't guys flame DGSD? just wondering...

I agree all those people that the chessboard thing was overdone, and the fact that some things were waaaaaaaaaay too animated. With the Shan Dian Diao (Zhong Ling's little pet thingy) moving, I felt as if it were a computer game, NOT A GOOD THING!!!

I thought that the series was going to be really crap after I watched the beginning. But trust me, it does get better. It seemed as if the actors get better in role later on. I think overall the series was quite good, minus the beginning. I thought that most actors were pretty good, except Qiao Feng, who took A LOT of getting used to. My least favourite part in the whole series would have to be when he stabbed himself so that all the Zhang Lao Didn't have to get killed. He had like five knifes poking out of him and he went on talking and moving like a normal person, without a single wince or an expression of pain!!! IT WAS waaaaaaaaaaaay too FAKE!!!!

I thought that all the girls in the series were really pretty, unlike most TVB producdtions, where no offence, but they're not erm, pretty. I really like Ah Zi, I thought she was annoying yet undeniable cute at the same time. She was much better than the Ah Zi in the DGSD with Benny Chan.

Well that's just what I think.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

That was how it was in the book! Complain to JY. QF doesn't wince because he is supposed to be a hero among heroes.

I thought Hu Jun was good. He doesn't look like how I would envision QF, but his subtle acting is good.

Originally posted by LiYuanZhi
    I thought that most actors were pretty good, except Qiao Feng, who took A LOT of getting used to. My least favourite part in the whole series would have to be when he stabbed himself so that all the Zhang Lao Didn't have to get killed. He had like five knifes poking out of him and he went on talking and moving like a normal person, without a single wince or an expression of pain!!! IT WAS waaaaaaaaaaaay too FAKE!!!!

I thought that all the girls in the series were really pretty, unlike most TVB producdtions, where no offence, but they're not erm, pretty. I really like Ah Zi, I thought she was annoying yet undeniable cute at the same time. She was much better than the Ah Zi in the DGSD with Benny Chan.

Well that's just what I think.

Originally posted by flyingfox2002
    That was how it was in the book! Complain to JY. QF doesn't wince because he is supposed to be a hero among heroes.

I thought Hu Jun was good. He doesn't look like how I would envision QF, but his subtle acting is good.
    Yeah, ok, QF doesn't wince. Fine, but at least he shouldn't SOUND or ACT ENTIRELY normal. I mean, try sticking five knifes into your body, you wouldn't walk around absolutely fine. Sure, he's got a lot of inner power, but honestly, NO ONE could act so normal for SUCH A LONG TIME with five knifes poking out, no matter how powerful they are. There's something called BLOOD PRESSURE!!!!! I've read the book, and it didn't sound completely fake. I'm not saying Hu Jun was bad or anything, I just thought that the director must've been taking a rest whilst they were filming those scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the series, I just thought that there were scenes where they could be improved.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Yes, the scene doesn't match your expectations, but it's not against the book. DGSD is not supposed to be realistic. The people in kung fu in it are closer to gods with superpowers than in any other JY novel. Why don't you point out some passage from the book that hints that QF is acting any differently after he stabbed himself with the knives?

I see no problem with Hu Jun's portrayal.

I thought the CGI was quite OK, especially if you compared it with Taiwanese series.

The special effects (light beams, sound effects-both in and out of battle, non-fighting qinggong of DY, and props) were all not bad. After watching a bit more of the show (not full episodes - only partial files, unfortunately) I realized that that fight scenes were poorly choreographed. They were generally a few blows met by a few counters or parries combined with camera-freezes and pannings to stretch out the time of the fight. If we cut out the camera tricks, we'd get fight scenes that last a few seconds each. Still, I like all the other effects .

When I watch wuxia series, I tend to leave all the reasoning behind and believe and enjoy the heroes powerful abilities. But most of the time I am more intend to know about the storyline and hero skills. Doesn't matter if they can shoot laser beams, I will laugh of course neverless the story must be good!!

People dun question much when Neo can dodge bullets in Matrix but wonder why XF dun wince with 5 knives stab? He probably just stab himself in those non-vital points.

The title in English Demi Gods Semi Devils is not just fancy but rather really implies the heroes are truly god-like.