Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: HUANG RONG vs. XIAO LONG NU DEBATE

Quote Originally Posted by Swordwiz
    Ken Cheng is one of the senior members of this forum.
    hmm, ?????

Huang Rong ought to win since she knows 9 Yin which totally counters the Jade Maiden Art. Although I don't know if there is any passage in the book which says exactly how this countering is done or why it counters. The whole Jade Maiden Art thing seems like a 9 Yin White Bone Claws or Holy Fire Art deal where everyone is shocked when it first shows up but after a while it gets old.

As far as intelligence goes, remember that it is not really a single trait but rather a combination of many. For example, a basketball player may not necessarily be a genius overall, but he is more likely than others to be very smart in how to move around the court and so on. And Guo Jing is not a bright person but his ability to comprehend martial arts and their subtleties is very good. Since I don't remember him pulling any ZWJs, I would say that YG does not have any kind of intelligence advantage on him in a fight.

I always knew HR has learnt 9 Yin but has she ever used it?

i don't recall her ever using it. even when she was up agaisnt GSZ and JL it was only the dog beating teachnique that was mentioned.

i get the feeling tat she didn't practise 9 Yin at all.

i think HR would win hands down...
    she's got the 9 yin complete version which would nullify XLN's attacks, plus her soft body armour

plus the beating dog stick

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    she's got the 9 yin complete version which would nullify XLN's attacks, plus her soft body armour

I dunno, but I think the armor is only effective against unarmed attacks. In any case the 'Lady' sword that she uses is extremely sharp, and in an ideal situation, she would be using the 'Gentleman' sword as well.
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Huang Rong may have better "real" martial arts, but Dragon Girl is just too awesome in combat. Dragon Girl was more than a match for the combination of Yin Kexi, Nimoxing, and Xiaoxiangzi. Any of these 3 warriors is on par with Huang Rong. Also, I have read that Huang Rong might not be much better than Gongzun Zhi, but Dragon Girl was much better than him. So I think that Dragon Girl would win.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-27-06 at 04:09 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Huang Rong may have better "real" martial arts, but Dragon Girl is just too awesome in combat. Dragon Girl was more than a match for the combination of Yin Kexi, Nimoxing, and Xiaoxiangzi. Any of these 3 warriors is on par with Huang Rong. Also, I have read that Huang Rong might not be much better than Gongzun Zhi, but Dragon Girl was much better than him. So I think that Dragon Girl would win.
    if it were just a matter of martial arts competency, yea, maybe XLN would win... but in terms of them battling, XLN's fighting would be nullified by HR's 9Yin
    that plus HR's tactical mind and ability to come up with solutions to beat XLN

HR: look, its Gouer, he's in danger. (points at the other direction)
    XLN: where? (turns around)
    (HR stabs XLN in the back)

HR wins.

There was a huge thread on the official HR vs XLN debate that I started a while ago. I am not sure if that thread is still around though.

Basically on a pure MA technique alone, XLN is ahead, remember she did not improve during the 16 year separation period, while HR's neigong improved due to 9 Yin, so HR is better in neigong.

XLN has better lightness of kungfu and speed, so she will be faster than HR in this department.

But HR is also a master at formation and strategy and with her genius brain, I'm sure she can utilize her wits into a battle with XLN, who, while not not dumb, is quite oblivous of the worldly matters and trickeries due to her pure, innocent upbringing inside Gu Mu.

I think many things offset each other and Jin Yong never really showed us the true Huang Rong at her peak, all the fights involving HR in ROCH happened when either she was still pregnant or recovering from it, of course JY wants XLN to steal the spotlight since ROCH is about YG/XLN. The same could be said with YG and GJ, in fact I had the impression that JY toned down the hypes about 9Yin, to open up room for DG Sword techniques and Sad Palms.

I think at the end of the day, it will be close battle, if HR can utilize her wits, which she normally can and combine it with her Dog Beating stick techniques and Xiaoyaoyou, which focus on trickery and wittiness, she should be able to handle XLN's L-R Jade Maiden Swordsplay even with her insane speed. She will probably be at defensive a lot, but her neigong and brain will make up for it. It will be a close battle, but I'll give it to HR.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Basically on a pure MA technique alone, XLN is ahead, remember she did not improve during the 16 year separation period, while HR's neigong improved due to 9 Yin, so HR is better in neigong.
    I thought about something else.

A lot of people seem to support this, that XLN's martial arts did not improve during the 16 years. But it was mentioned that after having feelings for YG, her internal energy would dissipate whenever she got agitated, because her school of martial arts required her to detach herself from secular emotions.

Hence, all the fights that she was involved after leaving the tomb were in this 'weakened' state.

During the 16 year at the bottom of the cliff, it was mentioned that she gradually reverted back to her old teachings, so it's possible that her internal energy returned back to 'normal', and was higher than when she fought all those people.
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by MrIllusion
    During the 16 year at the bottom of the cliff, it was mentioned that she gradually reverted back to her old teachings, so it's possible that her internal energy returned back to 'normal', and was higher than when she fought all those people.
    Ya, she was alone all this while, with only the bees accompanying her, so I think her internal energy not only improved but increase gradually too. She practically have no one to talk to at all.
    ..ext88

I get that HR's 9 Yin could overcome XLN's Cheun Jen Sect kung fu and Ancient Tomb Sect kung fu. Howver, since HR wasn't able to learn the L/R Technique, would she really be able to defeat both styles since I assume that she would have to use two different 9 Yin skills to counter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron
    HR: look, its Gouer, he's in danger. (points at the other direction)
    XLN: where? (turns around)
    (HR stabs XLN in the back)

HR wins.
    LOL LOL LOL thanks for that! i was cracking out loud reading it. i've only watched all of loch and yes, that looks like something HR would come up with. i've watched ROCH 95 but didn't understand anything because i don't know the language but i get the feeling that HR is way way smarter and more cunning than LXN.
    ---------
    Shellie

i thought HR by ROCH was too honorable to do such a thing. but then again she was willing to chop off YG's remaining arm if he refused to return GX.

in a place where the latitude and longitude intersect

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0

so wat if HR has the soft body armour......XLN has her pair of gloves that nothing can pierce through and nothing can slice through!!!!!!!!!

it seems like everybody is 4getting that XLN has this pair of gloves!!!!!!!!!
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

yes, it's only a pair of gloves...so what? i agree with dimeron...hr strategizing will help her gain the upper hand. if you only count techniques alone then xln will win, but wuxia battles aren't like that...it encompasses everything....gloves or no gloves hr will win if she combines her skills with her wits.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    yes, it's only a pair of gloves...so what? i agree with dimeron...hr strategizing will help her gain the upper hand. if you only count techniques alone then xln will win, but wuxia battles aren't like that...it encompasses everything....gloves or no gloves hr will win if she combines her skills with her wits.

yup agreed. their skills aren't that far apart so i think HR would definately gain the upper hand with her brain.

in Roch i get the feeling that XLN's martial arts was superior to HR...it seems by the end of ROCH XLN although was inferior to YG and GJ but she was one of the best martial artist.

on the other hand, in LOCH HR was never made out ot be a great martial artist, her 'mind' was more pronouced from start till end.

so does tat mean XLN's skills level is higher?

another thing, after HR gave birth to GX, she met up with LMC again and the two dueled, HR was one par with LMC but XLN could beat LMC. if HR was in her weaken state at the time of the duel, then how long does it take to recover from a birth? i thought GX was taken for at least a month until the duel.

another thing, XLN has a very strong will...aka learning the LR technique, would she really be tricked by HR? HR tends to use reason to deal with XLN in their interactions more then trickery.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    in Roch i get the feeling that XLN's martial arts was superior to HR...it seems by the end of ROCH XLN although was inferior to YG and GJ but she was one of the best martial artist.

on the other hand, in LOCH HR was never made out ot be a great martial artist, her 'mind' was more pronouced from start till end.

so does tat mean XLN's skills level is higher?

another thing, after HR gave birth to GX, she met up with LMC again and the two dueled, HR was one par with LMC but XLN could beat LMC. if HR was in her weaken state at the time of the duel, then how long does it take to recover from a birth? i thought GX was taken for at least a month until the duel.

another thing, XLN has a very strong will...aka learning the LR technique, would she really be tricked by HR? HR tends to use reason to deal with XLN in their interactions more then trickery.
    she managed to subtly make XLN leave YG several times... although if XLN was really angry with HR, maybe she could beat her...

i like Dimeron's scripting... HR probably too good to use such tactics, but that means nothing.
    In ROCH, HR was pregnant or recovering most of the time... not a reflection of her true ability

that plus her intelligence and 9YIN which leaves XLN powerless to use her wu gong, which is neutralized

i still think HR would win over XLN

I think the debate should focus on a fair fight. HR could do many things with her intelligence, so its no big deal if HR can win with intel....