Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

Some BUND comedy from Youtube.

The original cast (Chow Yun Fat, Angie Chiu, Ray Lui) reprise their BUND roles live onstage for a TVB charity show in 1987, but things go comically awry.

Angie Chiu redoes the classic BUND "Farewell Scene," but this time, Hui Mun Keung isn't the dashing Chow Yun Fat, but TVB comedy actor Lo Hoi Pang!

The second one is hilarious. I can't believe Angie Chiu managed to keep a straight face throughout that whole scene...

the first one is classic. it's nice seeing CYF acting that way

They could have included these type of things as "extras" in the DVD set I like how the priest goes "OH MY GOD". I noticed that phrase is used many times in the series. FCC's best friend uses that phrase a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    The second one is hilarious. I can't believe Angie Chiu managed to keep a straight face throughout that whole scene...

the first one is classic. it's nice seeing CYF acting that way

They could have included these type of things as "extras" in the DVD set
    Oh, yeah...that would have been great!

TVB has parodied THE BUND many times in its variety shows. It's a great show to have fun with because it's so serious. That makes it ripe for parody

You know, surprisingly, Lo Hoi Pang got many of Chow Yun Fat's BUND mannerisms down pretty well...except he put a comical spin on them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Oh, yeah...that would have been great!

TVB has parodied THE BUND many times in its variety shows. It's a great show to have fun with because it's so serious. That makes it ripe for parody

You know, surprisingly, Lo Hoi Pang got many of Chow Yun Fat's BUND mannerisms down pretty well...except he put a comical spin on them.
    Yeah it's quite shocking to see those parodies after the serious tone of the series. But it's also a pleasure to watch them. It's fun seeing CYF acting out of character

I think The Bund deserves commentary, especially considering how much work they put into the series. All the great movies have it, so why can't the The Bund have it? TVB should be proud of The Bund. It deserves an ultra-deluxe 100% uncut collector's edition

I think The Bund deserves commentary, especially considering how much work they put into the series. All the great movies have it, so why can't the The Bund have it? TVB should be proud of The Bund. It deserves an ultra-deluxe 100% uncut collector's edition
    I don't know what kind of money TVB would need to offer Chow Yun Fat to entice him to do commentary on the series, however. It'd probably be more than they'd be willing to spend.

The only chance is if Fat-gor is willing to do it for a nominal fee just because he has good memories of working on the series.

I don't know what kind of money TVB would need to offer Chow Yun Fat to entice him to do commentary on the series, however. It'd probably be more than they'd be willing to spend.

The only chance is if Fat-gor is willing to do it for a nominal fee just because he has good memories of working on the series.
    I wonder what is CYF's personal opinion of the series and his role in it. Does he consider it one of his most memorable roles? I'll be curious to hear about his opinion on The Bund. I'm guessing he already knows his role was famous considering all the parodies out there. It'll also be nice if the producers/filmmakers themselves commented on the series. I suppose a Making Of... documentary is out of the question. It's just a shame because all the old movie classics have commentaries and extras. Considering The Bund is TVB's finest effort, i thought they would show more pride in their release.
    When the DVD set was released, was there even any advertisement? They should have hyped it up on the web and in commercials "Greatest TV series Ever, own the DVD and see for yourself!" I didn't even know of the DVD release until I (luckily) stumbled onto the DVD thread and (luckily) bumped into its #1 fan

I wonder what is CYF's personal opinion of the series and his role in it. Does he consider it one of his most memorable roles? I'll be curious to hear about his opinion on The Bund. I'm guessing he already knows his role was famous considering all the parodies out there. It'll also be nice if the producers/filmmakers themselves commented on the series. I suppose a Making Of... documentary is out of the question. It's just a shame because all the old movie classics have commentaries and extras. Considering The Bund is TVB's finest effort, i thought they would show more pride in their release.
    Chow Yun Fat was interviewed by TVB in 1992 for their 25th anniversary celebration. On the subject of THE BUND, he said he quite enjoyed playing the Hui Mun Keung character. He said what he remembered most about the experience were the long hours and the thick makeup that held the actors together and made them look good even though they were all exhausted from having filmed for 24+ hours (minus short breaks for meals, restroom, short naps, etc.). He remembered that making series at TVB was always hard work, and especially when they were trying to do something special like THE BUND.

Chow also mentioned that to create the Hui Mun Keung character, he studied the classic performances of a number of his own favorite classic American actors: Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Gary Cooper, Marlon Brando, etc. He said he took a bit from each of these actors to create the character we know as Hui Mun Keung. You can indeed see the influences.

When the DVD set was released, was there even any advertisement? They should have hyped it up on the web and in commercials "Greatest TV series Ever, own the DVD and see for yourself!" I didn't even know of the DVD release until I (luckily) stumbled onto the DVD thread and (luckily) bumped into its #1 fan
    No, the marketing for THE BUND DVD was pathetic and shows how little regard TVB has today for its history. I would not have known about THE BUND's release were it not for almo89 breaking the news here at SPCNET.

I don't think there is any marketing for the DVD because it's a Tai Seng exclusive release and not TVBI. If there was any marketing, it would be done by Tai Seng.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Chow Yun Fat was interviewed by TVB in 1992 for their 25th anniversary celebration. On the subject of THE BUND, he said he quite enjoyed playing the Hui Mun Keung character. He said what he remembered most about the experience were the long hours and the thick makeup that held the actors together and made them look good even though they were all exhausted from having filmed for 24+ hours (minus short breaks for meals, restroom, short naps, etc.). He remembered that making series at TVB was always hard work, and especially when they were trying to do something special like THE BUND.
    I'm glad he remembered his glory days at TVB especially since he's a super megastar now. So do most CYF fans know of his TVB work or only his movie work? Before i heard (and watched) The Bund i always thought his movie work was what made him famous. I hope CYF fans actually know about the Bund! I wonder if the other actors like Andy Lau and Tony Leung remember their days at TVB, especially their roles that made them famous.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I don't think there is any marketing for the DVD because it's a Tai Seng exclusive release and not TVBI. If there was any marketing, it would be done by Tai Seng.
    That's a good point. It's just weird that there is so little fanfare considering the series was TVB's finest moment. But then again, asian TV series has less advertising than the american shows. Much less. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't know "hype" existed for certain asian shows. But then again, i live in north america. Maybe there is more advertisement for asian shows in asia?

I'm glad he remembered his glory days at TVB especially since he's a super megastar now. So do most CYF fans know of his TVB work or only his movie work? Before i heard (and watched) The Bund i always thought his movie work was what made him famous. I hope CYF fans actually know about the Bund! I wonder if the other actors like Andy Lau and Tony Leung remember their days at TVB, especially their roles that made them famous.
    Outside of Hong Kong (and Taiwan and China), Chow Yun Fat didn't start really attracting much notice until the mid-1990s, and by then, he was well into his movie career. His profile in the West didn't go up considerably until 1999-2000, when he appeared in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

But people who've followed Chow's career since the beginning are more likely to think of THE BUND as the high point of his career as an actor (as opposed to a media star). I've seen many of the movies that Chow Yun Fat has become internationally famous for, including those John Woo crime films that have made his name around the world, but compared to his portrayal of Hui Mun Keung in THE BUND, these performances don't greatly impress me.

I think to really get Chow Yun Fat at his very best as an actor, you'd still have to turn to THE BUND.

BUND Symbolism of the Day: During the farewell scene, just before he is about to ask Ching Ching for a final chance to let him join her in France, Mun Keung gets so worked up that he needs a cigarette before he can continue. No matter how hard he tries, however, he can't steady his hands enough to light the match for the cigarette, and finally gives up and just pleads his case to Ching Ching.

From the beginning of the series, Hui Mun Keung was depicted as a chain smoker. He had never failed to light a cigarette before, no matter how dire the circumstances. This time, he completely, utterly failed: I think this is symbolic of how, this time, he wouldn't be able to get that famous Hui Mun Keung "fire" going. For once, he was going to fail, and there was nothing he'd be able to do about it.

It might also represent that the fire of Mun Keung and Ching Ching's romance had finally died out, and nothing could reignite it.

THE BUND III spoiler note: When you get to THE BUND III, brace yourself for the first five minutes. You'll see something that will make you go "Oh, my God! No! NO!!!!!!!" Don't worry. It's OK. It's not what you think it is.

Outside of Hong Kong (and Taiwan and China), Chow Yun Fat didn't start really attracting much notice until the mid-1990s, and by then, he was well into his movie career. His profile in the West didn't go up considerably until 1999-2000, when he appeared in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.
    It's the same thing with wuxia. I wonder if the non-asians who enjoy wuxia movies even know the existence of wuxia TV series because they have english subs now.

But people who've followed Chow's career since the beginning are more likely to think of THE BUND as the high point of his career as an actor (as opposed to a media star). I've seen many of the movies that Chow Yun Fat has become internationally famous for, including those John Woo crime films that have made his name around the world, but compared to his portrayal of Hui Mun Keung in THE BUND, these performances don't greatly impress me.
    i think hardcore CYF fans must know that the Bund and his early TVB series were pivotal to his career development. Plus in TV series we get to see the character develop over time (showcasing CYF's acting abilities) whereas in the movie it's only 2 hours long.

It might also represent that the fire of Mun Keung and Ching Ching's romance had finally died out, and nothing could reignite it.
    Nice symbolism! I like that, the extinguishing of the passionate flames. I seriously think you should create a website based on The Bund posting all your analysis. Doesn't the Greatest Series deserve one?

THE BUND III spoiler note: When you get to THE BUND III, brace yourself for the first five minutes. You'll see something that will make you go "Oh, my God! No! NO!!!!!!!" Don't worry. It's OK. It's not what you think it is.
    I still can't get the "oh my god" phrase of FCC's best friend out of my head. There's just something weird and catchy the way she says it. Did HK people copy that mannerism during the 80's?

It's the same thing with wuxia. I wonder if the non-asians who enjoy wuxia movies even know the existence of wuxia TV series because they have english subs now.
    Probably not. Westerners can get into Asian movies with no trouble, but I don't think many of them could pursue an entire television series, subtitles or no subtitles. The problem with an extended series is that it just takes them out of their familiar cultural context for too long. They can do it for two hours at a time, but to have them do it for weeks or months might be too much to ask.

Besides, as much as we enjoy them, I'd be a bit embarrassed to show many classic wuxia series to my non-Asian friends. *We* understand the context that makes these series meaningful and exciting to us, but I think most Westerners would laugh at Deun Yu shooting 6 Mak Divine Swords from his finger tips, or Gwok Jing shooting "dragon forces" out of his hands. An average Western viewer wouldn't be able to draw the distinction between that and, say, DRAGONBALL or POWER RANGERS. They'd think it'd look silly and childish, and no amount of explanation would help them see the meanings beyond those superficial visual effects.

i think hardcore CYF fans must know that the Bund and his early TVB series were pivotal to his career development. Plus in TV series we get to see the character develop over time (showcasing CYF's acting abilities) whereas in the movie it's only 2 hours long.
    This is a big part of it. Also a big part of it is that Chow's movie characters have not, as a rule, been as complex as the Hui Mun Keung character.

Nice symbolism! I like that, the extinguishing of the passionate flames. I seriously think you should create a website based on The Bund posting all your analysis. Doesn't the Greatest Series deserve one?
    I don't have the tech-fu for a website, but I do see a meaty academic paper based around THE BUND that can be culled from the various notes I've posted about it in the forums.

I still can't get the "oh my god" phrase of FCC's best friend out of my head. There's just something weird and catchy the way she says it. Did HK people copy that mannerism during the 80's?
    Not really, although I think the writer and director made a point of that line and other "Westernisms" in THE BUND to show something about how the West influenced class-consciousness among Shanghai's Chinese society during the 1930s. At the time, in that place, Chinese were judged by their peers (and of course, by Europeans) by how Westernized they were. Westernization was seen by some as a sign of privilege, class, distinction, refinement, etc. Hence, people such as Fung Ching Ching, Hui Mun Keung, Wong Yeut Kei (Ching Ching's "OMG!" friend), etc., were very Westernized. They were wealthy and educated, and were constantly reading Western literature, performing in or enjoying Western drama (i.e. Shakespeare, Chekhov, and even the Valentino films of that period), dining on Western cuisine, wearing Western clothing styles, adopting Western spiritual beliefs (i.e. Christianity), and yes, speaking Western tongues such as English, French, Russian, and German.

On the other side of the coin were Chinese who resisted such Western influences, and who looked down upon fellow Chinese who mimicked Westerners and adopted Western values as traitors. Such Chinese included Lip Yan Wong (although I doubt he sincerely cared that much), Chan Nien San (Chan Hon Lam's dad), and the members of the Chin Woo martial arts society.

Speaking of Westerners, we forgot to note a gwai lo actor/character who appeared in THE BUND: let's hear it for a character whom I've always liked to call "Nicholaus the Nazi." Nicholaus was the German security guard whom Fung Ging Yiu hired to help Ding Lik manage Fung's nightclub. According to the m'aitre 'd at the nightclub, Nicholaus was the descendant of a German noble family that had fallen upon hard times: hence, Nicholaus' move to China and employment as a nightclub security guard.

Now I don't know for sure that Nicholaus was a Nazi. The series doesn't indicate one way or another, but they certainly dressed him like one.

Probably not. Westerners can get into Asian movies with no trouble, but I don't think many of them could pursue an entire television series, subtitles or no subtitles. The problem with an extended series is that it just takes them out of their familiar cultural context for too long. They can do it for two hours at a time, but to have them do it for weeks or months might be too much to ask.

Besides, as much as we enjoy them, I'd be a bit embarrassed to show many classic wuxia series to my non-Asian friends. *We* understand the context that makes these series meaningful and exciting to us, but I think most Westerners would laugh at Deun Yu shooting 6 Mak Divine Swords from his finger tips, or Gwok Jing shooting "dragon forces" out of his hands. An average Western viewer wouldn't be able to draw the distinction between that and, say, DRAGONBALL or POWER RANGERS. They'd think it'd look silly and childish, and no amount of explanation would help them see the meanings beyond those superficial visual effects.
    I know what you mean. There's definitely the cultural context especially the taoism/buddhism cultivation and the historical aspects. But if they could get into Star Wars and Buffy, I don't see why they can't relate to the fantasy aspects of wuxia. They can just equate the Force with Chi.

I have some western friends who think that Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master and Swordsman II series were exotic and extremely fascinating. There might be enough motivation to explore this unknown world.

Anime is also very popular in the west. I'm hoping wuxia might be the next big thing but who knows.

I don't have the tech-fu for a website, but I do see a meaty academic paper based around THE BUND that can be culled from the various notes I've posted about it in the forums.
    You wrote ALL lot in this forum. It's time to collect them and write some essays
    We don't want the great library of alexandria to be destroyed or forgotten.

Hence, people such as Fung Ching Ching, Hui Mun Keung, Wong Yeut Kei (Ching Ching's "OMG!" friend), etc., were very Westernized. They were wealthy and educated, and were constantly reading Western literature, performing in or enjoying Western drama (i.e. Shakespeare, Chekhov, and even the Valentino films of that period), dining on Western cuisine, wearing Western clothing styles, adopting Western spiritual beliefs (i.e. Christianity), and yes, speaking Western tongues such as English, French, Russian, and German.
    Yeah i kinda picked up that aspect when i watch the series. WYK seemed like one of those "hip" HK girls during the 1980's with her "OMG" expressions. It's a little funny watching these old series in modern times.

Now I don't know for sure that Nicholaus was a Nazi. The series doesn't indicate one way or another, but they certainly dressed him like one.
    Include that as part of your essay. "Find Waldo the Gwai-Lo"

Include that as part of your essay. "Find Waldo the Gwai-Lo"
    Nicholaus the Nazi was one of my favorite gwai lo minor characters in THE BUND, and mercifully, he didn't try to speak too much Cantonese.

I remember in his first appearance, he rushed into Ding Lik's office firing off a string of German words, to which a very annoyed Ah Lik ordered the m'aitre d', "Tell me what the HELL he's talking about!" The m'aitre d', a Chinese who was fluent in German, told Ah Lik that Nicholaus had discovered somebody running a scam in the card room.

That scene was funny (BUND humor; it's a bit more witty and sophisticated), as was the scene later on when Ah Lik tried to talk Nicholaus into joining the soccer betting pool: "Hey, Nicholaus! C'mon: join the betting pool. The Liverpool Soccer Club can't lose!" Nicholaus just shook his head and declined, muttering (in Cantonese), "Liverpool...no, no." Heh. Nicholaus was the smart one. Ah Lik lost all his money because Hui Mun Keung (acting on Fung Ging Yiu's orders) had already fixed the game.

Since TVB/Tai Seng isn't doing any advertising, it's up to us to promote The Bund. May this thread stay alive forever!

bah. the best gwai lo is definitely the one who butchered the cantonese language.

the most hated gwai lo is the one with that stupida$$ perverted smile at the end

Edit - Okay i changed my Avatar to HXM's HMK. Almo already has CYF's HMK lol.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 03-03-09 at 10:33 PM.

It's telling that THE BUND was not only the high point of Chow Yun Fat's career at TVB, but (the trilogy overall) was also a seeding ground for the careers of the actors who would dominate TVB during the 1980s. Three of five young actors who would become the Five Tigers got their first significant roles in THE BUND: Kent Tong (BUND), Miu Kiu Wai (BUND II and III), and Felix Wong (BUND III). I think THE BUND Trilogy was the first time the world got a glimpse of what these guys were capable of.

and Felix Wong (BUND III).
    Wait da minute...hold on one minute....Felix wong was in the BUnd 3???

THats pretty awesome...

Tell me about his character if you dont' mind
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

I remember in his first appearance, he rushed into Ding Lik's office firing off a string of German words, to which a very annoyed Ah Lik ordered the m'aitre d', "Tell me what the HELL he's talking about!" The m'aitre d', a Chinese who was fluent in German, told Ah Lik that Nicholaus had discovered somebody running a scam in the card room.

.. as was the scene later on when Ah Lik tried to talk Nicholaus into joining the soccer betting pool: "Hey, Nicholaus! C'mon: join the betting pool. The Liverpool Soccer Club can't lose!" Nicholaus just shook his head and declined, muttering (in Cantonese), "Liverpool...no, no." Heh. Nicholaus was the smart one. Ah Lik lost all his money because Hui Mun Keung (acting on Fung Ging Yiu's orders) had already fixed the game.
    Hey, I dont remember seeing these 2 scenes at all, since the only time I have watched the Bund completely is with the cut vcd sets, these scenes were probably cut.. Do you remember which episode these 2 scenes appear in? Man..think it is about time to watch the complete Bund I from start to finish heeh

But after I have finished Bund II and III. I have to agree with your thoughts a while ago, the sequel sure has lost some of the magic that was present in part I. It just feels so empty without CYF..it is like Ding Lik scenes all the time...and man is he a pathetic guy hehe :P And the way he treats his new wife...geez..what an *********! I just wished they continued using a few background melodies from Bund I, like the suspense tune. That one should have been brought onto the sequels. The connection is kind of gone, when they mostly use the new tunes, although the old music pops up now and then. But it is not enough..

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post
    Wait da minute...hold on one minute....Felix wong was in the BUnd 3???

THats pretty awesome...

Tell me about his character if you dont' mind
    In THE BUND III, Felix Wong plays Ding Lik's new right-hand man. He's a young new recruit to Ah Lik's organization, and essentially does for him what Ah Lik used to do for Fung Ging Yiu. Felix's character lasts throughout the entire BUND III series, although he is by no means a main character.

Still, it was a pretty significant role; he could count as a major supporting character.

Quote Originally Posted by NetDragon View Post
    Hey, I dont remember seeing these 2 scenes at all, since the only time I have watched the Bund completely is with the cut vcd sets, these scenes were probably cut.. Do you remember which episode these 2 scenes appear in? Man..think it is about time to watch the complete Bund I from start to finish heeh
    Those should be in Episode 6 and 8, not long after Hui Mun Keung and Ding Lik join Fung Ging Yiu's enterprise.

But after I have finished Bund II and III. I have to agree with your thoughts a while ago, the sequel sure has lost some of the magic that was present in part I. It just feels so empty without CYF..it is like Ding Lik scenes all the time...and man is he a pathetic guy hehe :P And the way he treats his new wife...geez..what an *********!
    Yeah, the late stretch of BUND and the early episodes of BUND II are tough going for Ah Lik, and he really is an azzhole in those episodes. He marries a woman he doesn't love (although it's sort of forgivable since the lady isn't much of a catch herself) and he's still very insecure about himself vis a vis Hui Mun Keung, even though Hui is dead. It's really not until THE BUND III that Ah Lik comes to terms with the past and is secure in whom he is, but when he finally reaches that point, it's quite rewarding.

I just wished they continued using a few background melodies from Bund I, like the suspense tune. That one should have been brought onto the sequels. The connection is kind of gone, when they mostly use the new tunes, although the old music pops up now and then. But it is not enough..
    They did occasionally use the first series' music in the second and third series, although obviously not as often as they used those series' own music tracks.

How are the women in Bund II and III? Any eye candy? BTW I love "bad girls", have a soft spot for them.