Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    How are the women in Bund II and III? Any eye candy? BTW I love "bad girls", have a soft spot for them.
    Gigi Wong Suk Yee played Chu Yin Yin, Ding Lik's main new love interest in THE BUND II. I'd never thought Gigi Wong was a particularly attractive actress (slight overbite on upper teeth), but when I recently rewatched her first appearance in THE BUND II...holy! She was hot!

Mary Hon Ma Lei played Ah Lik's second wife in THE BUND II. Now she's not a bad-looking actress (and surprisingly, today, nearly thirty years later, she doesn't look much different from how she did back then), but THE BUND II's writers didn't want to make her character an endearing one, so they depicted her as a bit of a b*tch.

Myrta Ging Doi Yum, who played Hui Mun Keung's wife in the first BUND, returns in a new role in THE BUND II. She's a good actress, but I've never been fond of her looks.

In THE BUND III, it's all about Au Yeung Pui San as Ah Lik's latest squeeze, but I liked her BUND I character of Japanese super spy Kyoko Yamaguchi better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Gigi Wong Suk Yee played Chu Yin Yin, Ding Lik's main new love interest in THE BUND II. I'd never thought Gigi Wong was a particularly attractive actress (slight overbite on upper teeth), but when I recently rewatched her first appearance in THE BUND II...holy! She was hot!

Mary Hon Ma Lei played Ah Lik's second wife in THE BUND II. Now she's not a bad-looking actress (and surprisingly, today, nearly thirty years later, she doesn't look much different from how she did back then), but THE BUND II's writers didn't want to make her character an endearing one, so they depicted her as a bit of a b*tch.

Myrta Ging Doi Yum, who played Hui Mun Keung's wife in the first BUND, returns in a new role in THE BUND II. She's a good actress, but I've never been fond of her looks.

In THE BUND III, it's all about Au Yeung Pui San as Ah Lik's latest squeeze, but I liked her BUND I character of Japanese super spy Kyoko Yamaguchi better.
    I'm almost done SSTWB so going to start Bund II soon. Looking forward to some gangsta chicks in Mary Hon and Wong Suk Yee. Gangster drama wouldn't be the same without some gangsta chicks In Bund I we didn't get to see many bad girls since FCC was pretty sweet and all.

Hon Ma Lei is such a cougar these days. I totally would haha. I wonder what happened to Ging Doi Yum. She was supposed to be in DGSD81. She was even in the intro! Instead her role went to some ugly chick.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I'm almost done SSTWB so going to start Bund II soon. Looking forward to some gangsta chicks in Mary Hon and Wong Suk Yee. Gangster drama wouldn't be the same without some gangsta chicks In Bund I we didn't get to see many bad girls since FCC was pretty sweet and all.
    Heh. Mary Hon's character was a b*tch, but a gangster she was not. More like a spoiled rich girl who decided to fetch the most powerful man in Shanghai.

Chu Yin Yin wasn't a gangsta girl either. She was a classy, well-bred independent young woman of elegance and taste who came to Shanghai and, unintentionally, got involved with the gangstas.

Neither of them were classic gangsta molls. In fact, that's the one area where THE BUND Trilogy was a little deficient: the only really tough, dangerous woman was Kyoko Yamaguchi.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Hon Ma Lei is such a cougar these days. I totally would haha. I wonder what happened to Ging Doi Yum. She was supposed to be in DGSD81. She was even in the intro! Instead her role went to some ugly chick.
    I remember it was some kind of contract dispute. Ging Doi Yum was sidelined by TVB for about a year, but was back in action soon (too late to play the role she had been originally cast in for DGSD, however).

Her replacement wasn't ugly. That actress was actually quite good looking. Unfortunately, she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

Heh. Mary Hon's character was a b*tch, but a gangster she was not. More like a spoiled rich girl who decided to fetch the most powerful man in Shanghai.

Chu Yin Yin wasn't a gangsta girl either. She was a classy, well-bred independent young woman of elegance and taste who came to Shanghai and, unintentionally, got involved with the gangstas.

Neither of them were classic gangsta molls. In fact, that's the one area where THE BUND Trilogy was a little deficient: the only really tough, dangerous woman was Kyoko Yamaguchi.
    I can deal with b*tches. All the girls in the Shanghai underworld can't be sweet girls like FCC. That'll be too unrealistic. b*tches = good for gangster drama haha.
    I'm just surprised there aren't any "gangsta hoes" in The Bund trilogy. You'll think that a gritty atmosphere would have them =\

I can deal with b*tches. All the girls in the Shanghai underworld can't be sweet girls like FCC. That'll be too unrealistic. b*tches = good for gangster drama haha.
    I'm just surprised there aren't any "gangsta hoes" in The Bund trilogy. You'll think that a gritty atmosphere would have them =\
    Yeah...THE BUND needed some more gangsta women...ones who could command gangs of their own and make their own bid to rule Shanghai.

But oddly, THE BUND's gangland was not merely male-dominated, but seemed male-exclusive. There just weren't any women gangstas evident in the series. Au Yeung Pui San's two characters came the closest, but even in THE BUND III, her character was more Ding Lik's business assistant than someone who helped him with the leg-breaking and the mass-shootings. She was still playing a good girl who knew that her boss did that sort of stuff, but wasn't directly involved in any of it.

THE BUND's series logo is among the most memorable and attractive ever designed for a TVB series. The calligraphy looks like it could be written in blood, and looks shot (i.e. out of a gun) onto the background rather than written in pen. The nicest touch was the splotches on the "Shang" and "Tan" characters that looked like blood exploding out of a gunshot wound.

THE BUND's series logo is among the most memorable and attractive ever designed for a TVB series. The calligraphy looks like it could be written in blood, and looks shot (i.e. out of a gun) onto the background rather than written in pen. The nicest touch was the splotches on the "Shang" and "Tan" characters that looked like blood exploding out of a gunshot wound.
    I love the commercial bumper with the 3 gunshots. Old school sounds.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Yeah. I wonder what they used to get that particular sound effect. Real gunshots don't sound like that, but these were much more dramatic.

Those were pretty slick. Glad they used it in the sequel.

Yeah...THE BUND needed some more gangsta women...ones who could command gangs of their own and make their own bid to rule Shanghai.

But oddly, THE BUND's gangland was not merely male-dominated, it seemed male-exclusive. There just weren't any women gangstas evident in the series. Au Yeung Pui San's two characters came the closest, but even in THE BUND III, her character was more Ding Lik's business assistant than someone who helped him with the leg-breaking and the mass-shootings. She was still playing a good girl who knew that her boss did that sort of stuff, but wasn't directly involved in any of it.
    OK, as long as they're not goody-goody like FCC. She was great but let's see some bad women for a change. Girls who may be good to those they love but commit despicable acts to fulfill their selfish needs just like our "heroes". I'm a "shades of grey" type of guy.

OK, as long as they're not goody-goody like FCC. She was great but let's see some bad women for a change. Girls who may be good to those they love but commit despicable acts to fulfill their selfish needs just like our "heroes". I'm a "shades of grey" type of guy.
    Classic Western noir movies often had such a figure...the moll or femme fatale who could be more dangerous than any male gangster.

This character archetype is missing from THE BUND. Perhaps the reason is that the Asian triad structure was more sexist than its Western counterpart, and simply did not permit women to be active members of the underworld society. In this world, as sexist as it is, women were treated as mere pawns and commodities in the power structure.

Classic Western noir movies often had such a figure...the moll or femme fatale who could be more dangerous than any male gangster.

This character archetype is missing from THE BUND. Perhaps the reason is that the Asian triad structure was more sexist than its Western counterpart, and simply did not permit women to be active members of the underworld society. In this world, as sexist as it is, women were treated as mere pawns and commodities in the power structure.
    Or it could be i'm watching too much Young and the Dangerous (Ekin Cheng) with all the chicks.

The Bund needs FF's. Something to spice up the action. I thought HMK's dead female friend was going to be a FF when i first watched the series.

Let's check out the girls.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hkmdb.com/db/images/people/4810/GigiWongSukYee-16-t.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hkmdb.com/db/images/people/4434/MaryHonMaLee-1-b.jpg')

I think i prefer Gigi Wong. She has potential to be hot material depending on how she dresses in Bund II. I'm too used to seeing Mary Hon in recent series. It's just weird seeing her back then.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 03-05-09 at 01:48 AM.

Or it could be i'm watching too much Young and the Dangerous (Ekin Cheng) with all the chicks.

The Bund needs FF's. Something to spice up the action. I thought HMK's dead female friend was going to be a FF when i first watched the series.

Let's check out the girls.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hkmdb.com/db/images/people/4810/GigiWongSukYee-16-t.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hkmdb.com/db/images/people/4434/MaryHonMaLee-1-b.jpg')

I think i prefer Gigi Wong. She has potential to be hot material depending on how she dresses in Bund II. I'm too used to seeing Mary Hon in recent series. It's just weird seeing her back then.
    Is that Gigi Wong in the first pic? To my eyes, it looks more like Lau Nga Lai, the actress who played Ah Lik's first girlfriend (i.e. Lo Gum's mistress) in the first BUND.

Is that Gigi Wong in the first pic? To my eyes, it looks more like Lau Nga Lai, the actress who played Ah Lik's first girlfriend (i.e. Lo Gum's mistress) in the first BUND.
    Yeah that should be Gigi Wong. http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtm...splay_set=big5

I can't even remember how Ah Lik's first girlfriend looked like. Was she hot?

BTW those shanghai dresses with the slits are hot.

Hmmm. Odd. I'd swear that was Lau Nga Lai.

Gigi Wong looked great during her first appearance (at the dock) in THE BUND II.

I can't even remember how Ah Lik's first girlfriend looked like. Was she hot?
    Face-wise, Lau Nga Lai was only average, but she had a KILLER body. In a modern series called THE BROTHERS made the same year as THE BUND (1980) and that also starred Chow Yun Fat, Lau Nga Lai played a supporting character known for wearing short shorts and showing off her long, hot legs. Man, did she have long, hot legs...

BTW those shanghai dresses with the slits are hot.
    Yeah...part of China's first Sexual Revolution, I suppose.

Hmmm. Odd. I'd swear that was Lau Nga Lai.

Gigi Wong looked great during her first appearance (at the dock) in THE BUND II.
    Great looking forward to it. She have a hot body too?

Face-wise, Lau Nga Lai was only average, but she had a KILLER body. In a modern series called THE BROTHERS made the same year as THE BUND (1980) and that also starred Chow Yun Fat, Lau Nga Lai played a supporting character known for wearing short shorts and showing off her long, hot legs. Man, did she have long, hot legs...
    Better than Joey Meng's?

Yeah i don't remember her face but I remembered she had a great body. I also remembered her screaming in the house after seeing blood on the floor. Unfortunately the DVD cut 15+ seconds (since you described the scene) and we don't even see the pieces of the dog lying on the floor.

Great looking forward to it. She have a hot body too?
    Possibly, and she did have a great figure in those Shanghai slit gowns, but I've never seen her in shorts or a bikini, so it's hard to be certain.

Better than Joey Meng's?
    Leg-wise, Lau Nga Lai could give even Joey (Jolie Minh) a run for her money, but Joey's got Ms. Lau TOTALLY beaten in the face department.

Possibly, and she did have a great figure in those Shanghai slit gowns, but I've never seen her in shorts or a bikini, so it's hard to be certain.

Leg-wise, Lau Nga Lai could give even Joey (Jolie Minh) a run for her money, but Joey's got Ms. Lau TOTALLY beaten in the face department.
    Why'd you give Jolie such thick thighs? Joey's are thin

You ever seen the movie Shanghai Triad with Gong Li? If so, what did you think of that one?

Yeah Shanghai slits are hot. Hope to see some in Bund II/III?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://lotushaus.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8357c6b5b69e2010536882e24970b-500wi')

Why'd you give Jolie such thick thighs? Joey's are thin
    My friend A. Nettleton likes to draw women that way. Besides, you've got to consider the angle and the way the character is seated.

But there are interpretations by other artists:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4266/jolierecliningra3.jpg')

by C. Nocon

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8022/joliesalute1sh4.jpg')

by L. Lum

You ever seen the movie Shanghai Triad with Gong Li? If so, what did you think of that one?
    Haven't seen it. How does it compare to THE BUND?

Yeah Shanghai slits are hot. Hope to see some in Bund II/III?
    There are more of them in II/III than in I, if only because in I, the focus was on Ching Ching and she didn't begin wearing them until late in the series.