Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Maybe Marlboro's?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Marlboro.png')

Yeah HMK was rich. He was a chain smoker rite?
    If Marlboros were sold in Shanghai during the 1920s/1930s, then it's very possible that Hui Mun Keung smoked them.

Hui was a chain smoker, but it seemed that most adults were in those days. Ding Lik, Fung Ging Yiu, Lip Yan Wong, etc., seemed to have similar habits.

was an ardent fan of the bund original! but totally forgot if i watched the bund 2 or 3 as it was so long ago.

One fan has taken the time to make watercolor paintings of key scenes from THE BUND, and then set these paintings in sequence with the theme song.

There aren't very many TVB series that can inspire fans to this kind of artistic response.

is it worth to get the tai seng dvd release?

Quote Originally Posted by jSMl2046 View Post
    is it worth to get the tai seng dvd release?
    HELL YEAH, absolutely.

It's not digitally remastered, and there were a few dubious (but slight) edits, but barring some kind of miracle at TVBI, this is the only chance you'll ever get to own this series in its entirety in a nonperishable format.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    HELL YEAH, absolutely.

It's not digitally remastered, and there were a few dubious (but slight) edits, but barring some kind of miracle at TVBI, this is the only chance you'll ever get to own this series in its entirety in a nonperishable format.
    sorry sir, is the dvd full uncut? i hate to get those like the vcds released by tvb which is always edited, thanks!

sorry sir, is the dvd full uncut? i hate to get those like the vcds released by tvb which is always edited, thanks!
    I can't say that they are truly uncut, but compared to the VCD, you're losing much, much less. On the VCDs, I think about 40% of the series was cut out. On the DVD set, you lose maybe 3% - 5%. It's annoying because some good scenes were lost, but overall, the series is all there.

as a first-time viewer, i can tell you first-hand that the series definitely "feels" complete. You wouldn't notice too much of these cuts.

And like Ken said, it's only 5% of the series that is cut.

This DVD set is definitely worth it. The whole Bund trilogy in one DVD set. It's one of my most treasured DVD sets in my collection.

noted, will get it from ebay today ... thanks alot mates!

You won't be disappointed... probably bring back lot of memories (unless u have it on tapes or bought the cut vcd release)

If you enjoyed THE BUND when you watched it as a child, you'll enjoy it even more as an adult. This was a series for adults...particularly adults with some cultural and literary sophistication. There are layers of depth to this series that reveal themselves through multiple viewings, and it's one of the very few TVB series that has ever succeeded in creating its own unique, memorable atmosphere. You are really transported out of your world and taken to the world of Shanghai during the 1920s and 1930s.

already got the bund from ebay, awaiting its arrival here in singapore ...

I have just started to watch Bund II

I know it's not as good as Bund, but after watching tons of series, i miss the old 1980's TVB style. The acting and the scenes just look soooo classic. I hope Bund II and III are good. I don't have that much expectations so hopefully i'll be surprised.

I'm at the part where they are hunting down HMK's killers in episode 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post

I'm at the part where they are hunting down HMK's killers in episode 1.
    That was my favorite part of the second series. Ding Lik loved "Mun-gor" like a real brother, and he was extremely pissed that someone would dare to murder his brother. Ah Lik was going to make those killers pay DEARLY for Mun-gor's life, and when retribution came, it was swift and brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That was my favorite part of the second series. Ding Lik loved "Mun-gor" like a real brother, and he was extremely pissed that someone would dare to murder his brother. Ah Lik was going to make those killers pay DEARLY for Mun-gor's life, and when retribution came, it was swift and brutal.
    I found Bund II pretty slow so far... With only Ray Lui carrying the show, there's not much charisma or engaging characters. I hope it gets better as the show goes. I think this was why i put this series on hold the first time i started it.

now watching the bund I, refreshing my memories ...

the killings of hui man keong's family in hong kong was really brutal ...

cheng cheng's plea to hui man keong to let her father go was really ridiculous even though she was doing her bit as a daughter ...

the killings of hui man keong's family in hong kong was really brutal ...
    I don't think TVB can depict violence like they did in THE BUND anymore. THE BUND is probably one of the most overtly violent programs TVB has ever broadcast, and they made it look as real as possible.

cheng cheng's plea to hui man keong to let her father go was really ridiculous even though she was doing her bit as a daughter ...
    Can't fault her for trying, though. She was hedging that Mun Keung's feelings for her would trump his desire for revenge. She lost that bet.

Can't fault her for trying, though. She was hedging that Mun Keung's feelings for her would trump his desire for revenge. She lost that bet.
    Another possible ending is if FCC sacrifices herself to convince HMK to not go through with the revenge. Of course, I like the ending the way it is. It's Great Gatsby-esque.

those who are familiar with the movie the godfather will see many similar scenes from the bund as well ...

re-watching the series, i find hui mun keong too emotional and too worrisome ...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i29.tinypic.com/fm48ig.jpg')

who is this handsome young man ...