Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i26.tinypic.com/29lib9y.jpg')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32qjXAbFpSI

even got leading man's character wrong ...

just finished the bund II ..... starting the bund III and realised the villains in part 2 is bei qian wang and in part 3 nan qian wang haha .....

afterthoughts of part 2:

1. dik wan ji is cunning throughout the entire series, from planning the assassination of hui mun keung to trying to overthrow ding lik; he had some luck but ding lik had better ....
    2. cheung guai had the biggest change, from a humble and innocent peasant to a scheming and ruthless gangster; would do anything to achieve his means .... his biggest mistake was to go against his own bro-in-arms ding lik .... what was he thinking???
    3. the character i cant stand most is chu yin yin, the ultimate cxxx teaser; from the beginning to the end she just cannot make up her mind who she liked .....
    4. mun kok keung is another tragic character perhaps born in the wrong era ......

I just finished re-watching Part 1 last night.

I find the sacrifice that Hui Mun Keung made to be absolutely pointless. He could have save himself a lot of misery, grief, countless lives and maybe even a happy ending if he didn't interfere with the arms shipment and the plot to wipe out Ching Wu Martial Clan.

In the end, he ended up working for Yip and what did Yip do? He set up the Ching Wu martial clan and had them wiped out by the local police force.

So what difference did it make? Hui only delayed the inevitable...the Japanese will find ways to smuggle arms into China one way or another. If Hui was smart, he would have left things alone, continue is rise to power in Shanghai and eventually depose of Fung Ging Yiu and then use his position of power to continue the fight against the spreading power of the foreign countries in China.

Then again...hindsight is 20/20. I just thought that since his character was supposedly a lot more cerebal, he would be able to look further down and achieve his goals in the future by sacrificing a minor setback in the present.
    "my only fear of death is reincarnation...back into this life of strife" - 2pac

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I just finished re-watching Part 1 last night.

I find the sacrifice that Hui Mun Keung made to be absolutely pointless. He could have save himself a lot of misery, grief, countless lives and maybe even a happy ending if he didn't interfere with the arms shipment and the plot to wipe out Ching Wu Martial Clan.
    No matter what Hui Mun Keung tried to tell Fung Ching Ching (and by extension, himself), he was ultimately a man of conscience. If he hadn't been, he could have very easily looked the other way and let Japan's Heavenly Dragon Society wipe out the Ching Woo Martial Arts School, but the good man and Chinese patriot in him just couldn't do it.

Earlier in the series, Hui Mun Keung had advised Chan Hon Lam to look the other way in treating the rampant corruption in the Shanghai Police Department. Hui Mun Keung, however, found it difficult to take his own advice.

Of course, that advice went out to Chan before Hui Mun Keung saw his friend Lo Chou Bak murdered by Fung Ging Yiu. I think Lo's death triggered the reawakening of Hui Mun Keung's conscience, which had been dormant since he was imprisoned in Beijing.

In the end, he ended up working for Yip and what did Yip do? He set up the Ching Wu martial clan and had them wiped out by the local police force.
    Yep. In his conversation with Ding Lik before they made their plans to kill Lip Yan Wong, Hui could only smirk bitterly at the irony and futility at it all. He had betrayed Fung Ging Yiu and endured the loss of his family (and lost a finger) as the price of saving the Ching Woo School, only to have them fall anyway to another enemy.

So what difference did it make? Hui only delayed the inevitable...the Japanese will find ways to smuggle arms into China one way or another. If Hui was smart, he would have left things alone, continue is rise to power in Shanghai and eventually depose of Fung Ging Yiu and then use his position of power to continue the fight against the spreading power of the foreign countries in China.
    It's consistent with the dark theme of THE BUND: an underlying motif that no good deed goes unpunished. It wasn't that Hui Mun Keung wasn't smart enough; he knew the consequences of each of his actions. Nevertheless, the man's conscience sometimes overwhelmed his sensibilities.

Then again...hindsight is 20/20. I just thought that since his character was supposedly a lot more cerebal, he would be able to look further down and achieve his goals in the future by sacrificing a minor setback in the present.
    Hui Mun Keung followed his conscience, whatever his mind told him to do, and he paid the price for it. I think the lesson in there is that those who follow their consciences in a corrupt world pay a terrible price for doing so.

One of the most important reasons that I believe THE BUND was the greatest series TVB has ever made is the unique camera work that TVB brought into the production of this series. More so than in any other series I've seen, TVB really showed some refined craftsmanship in using lighting, camera, and location to create an appropriately noirish atmosphere for the series. TVB's crew clearly had done its homework on Hollywood film productions techniques of the 1940s - 1970s here. Check out these two frames from Episode 11 of THE BUND (I), portraying Hui Mun Keung entering the warehouse where Fung Ging Yiu stored the weapons he planned to use on the Ching Woo Martial Arts School on behalf of his Japanese allies:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5660/vlcsnap133703.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1255/vlcsnap133978.png')

In the first image, the use of (studio-produced) fog, combined with the dilapidated old warehouse building, the darkness, and Hui Mun Keung's cloaked figure, produce a foreboding image, which in the series is also enhanced through the use of atmospheric, sinister music.

The second image, showing Hui Mun Keung's silhouette bathed in a background of harsh white light surrounded by complete darkness, is simply masterful cinematography that creates a distinctive and powerful mood. This image should be iconic.

It's attention to detail such as these that have made THE BUND TVB's best work ever.

Based on the reviews here, I have now ordered Bund 1, 2, 3 and Shell Game 1 and 2.

Hope Five Star Laser ships soon. It's been 2 days and status is still pending.

Default Relationship with the Socialite

I have just finished Bund 1. Great series. As described here, this is a classic.

I wonder what is the relationship between Hui Mun Keong and the socialite. It is obvious she loves him, and that he only treats her as a friend. But in episode 22, there was a scene in which he told the socialite that she must have a motive for helping him. The scene faded out after that. I wonder whether they were supposed to have an affair after that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSeriesFan View Post
    I have just finished Bund 1. Great series. As described here, this is a classic.

I wonder what is the relationship between Hui Mun Keong and the socialite. It is obvious she loves him, and that he only treats her as a friend. But in episode 22, there was a scene in which he told the socialite that she must have a motive for helping him. The scene faded out after that. I wonder whether they were supposed to have an affair after that.

From what can be gathered based on the hints offered throughout the series, Fong Yim Wan and Hui Mun Keung were fellow students and good friends at Beijing University before Mun Keung was arrested and put into prison for leading anti-government protests in Beijing. Yim Wan carried the torch for Mun Keung even in the Beijing days, but it was futile because Mun Keung already had a lover in another student, Chan Hiu Dung. Hiu Dung, however, was killed by police at the time of Mun Keung's arrest.

Their friendship remained platonic in THE BUND, but in the 2007 China remake SHANGHAI BUND, their relationship was depicted as being much more intimate.

Unhappy The Bund

I have watched many TVB series and can honestly say that the original "The Bund" starring Chow Yun Fat and Angie Chieu Nga Chiu together with Ray Lui Leung Wai was definitely the best of all time - a true classic of the classic. I have even bought the set of dvds although some scenes were cut out. I don't care as I really loved this series, the acting was superb, the plot was excellent and I even liked the villain played by Lau Dan who played the role of Angie's father. In a way I felt a little sorry for him. I think anyone who loved their own daughter as much as he did couldn't have been all bad. I was very sad when Chow died in the end. I have not seen the Shanghai remake but did watch the one made by Nnadia Chan and Sunny Chan which was a sort of remake although they did change the storyline a bit. Dodo Cheng was also in it. It was not a patch on the original and I always wondered why they feel the need to do remakes as it is never the same as the original.

Right from the beginning, Hui Mun Kiong treated Fung Ching Ching badly and that remained till the end.

When Mun wasn't interested in a relationship, he didn't come outright with her, instead relying on hints and such. It was Ding Lik who told him off and insisted that Mun should be honest with Ching Ching.

Only when Mun realises he is in danger of losing Ching (the France trip), did he show any interest at all. It happened again at the wedding, when he rushed too late to the church.

When Mun proposed to Ching, he did so only in order to save his own skin. I think that is despicable, hiding behind a woman's skirts.

Then finally, after killing her father, Mun tried to make it up with Ching. How presposterous! She was right in telling him that he was not worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BMUKEBomo0

I don't see the bund in this clip. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post

Hui Mun Keung could be ruthless, but this one time that he could have saved himself by doing so, he surprisingly wasn't.

I'm not talking about choosing to not help the Ching Woo Martial Arts School to eliminate Japan's Heavenly Dragon Society: I'm talking about taking out the one witness who could implicate him - Chang-suk (Fung Ging Yiu's chief assistant).

It was Chang-suk who returned to Fung Ging Yiu and, as per his duty, reported Hui Mun Keung's treachery. If Hui Mun Keung had been ruthless enough, he would have murdered Chang-suk that night, then returned to Fung Ging Yiu and reported that they had been ambushed. That way, Hui Mun Keung would have been able to get away with his treachery.

Ultimately, however, Hui didn't have it in him to murder Chang-suk, who had never harmed him in any way and was not (at that point) his enemy. Sparing Chang-suk cost Hui Mun Keung, however.

hui mun keong couldnt be that ruthless but he knew ding lik would be .......

Reviving this thread... I finally got to watching this series. Part I was very good. Can someone explain to me why Hui went against that Japanese woman? I know it has something to do with his patriotism. What was her motive? My less-than-perfect Chinese interfered with my understanding of what exactly was going on there. Part II and Part III (which I am still finishing up) are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by addicted2tvb View Post
    Reviving this thread... I finally got to watching this series. Part I was very good. Can someone explain to me why Hui went against that Japanese woman? I know it has something to do with his patriotism. What was her motive? My less-than-perfect Chinese interfered with my understanding of what exactly was going on there. Part II and Part III (which I am still finishing up) are okay.
    Kyoko Yamaguchi was a spy for the Japanese intelligence forces. She was in Shanghai to pave the way for the eventual Japanese invasion of China.

Yamaguchi was the head of the Japanese criminal syndicate known as the Heavenly Dragon Society (which is based on the real-life Black Dragon Society), which was/is an ultranationalist Japanese criminal group. Although they are gangsters, they are extremely loyal to their nation and their emperor. Their mission in Shanghai was to eliminate all resistance to the Japanese incursion.

One of the key Chinese citizen resistance groups was the Ching Woo Martial Arts Association. This group of patriotic Chinese martial artists had long opposed the Heavenly Dragon Society.

Fung Ging Yiu, who cared nothing for his country, but only for his wealth and power in Shanghai, believed that Shanghai's future belonged to Japan (the most powerful nation in Asia at the time). Therefore, he was more than happy to supply the Japanese with anything they needed for their operations: money, weapons, connections, anything they needed.

Hui Mun Keung, as Fung Ging Yiu's right-hand man, had no choice but to go along with it. But Hui's conscience ate away at him. After his experiences in Beijing (including three years in prison), Hui had vowed to never put patriotism ahead of his own interests again, but ultimately, he was a man of conscience. He could not simply stand by and allow the Japanese to murder his countrymen.

Hence, when Hui Mun Keung discovered that Fung Ging Yiu was planning on delivering guns and ammunition to the Heavenly Dragon Society to use against the Ching Woo Martial Arts School, Hui arranged for his contact (his friend Chan Hon Lam) in the French Concession Police Department to confiscate the weapons first.

That should have been the end of it, and Hui would have been able to get away with it without his boss or the Japanese being any wiser. Unfortunately, the well-intentioned Chan Hon Lam decided to inform the Ching Woo Martial Arts School's leaders about the Heavenly Dragon Society's plot against them, and helped them to set up a counterstrike. In the ensuing melee, Hui's role in the confiscation of the weapons was inadvertently revealed. That made Hui into a traitor in Fung Ging Yiu's eyes, and marked Hui for death.

Hey, Ken -- Thanks a lot for that excellent explanation! I'm curious. What did you think of Parts II and III?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Kyoko Yamaguchi was a spy for the Japanese intelligence forces. She was in Shanghai to pave the way for the eventual Japanese invasion of China.

Yamaguchi was the head of the Japanese criminal syndicate known as the Heavenly Dragon Society (which is based on the real-life Black Dragon Society), which was/is an ultranationalist Japanese criminal group. Although they are gangsters, they are extremely loyal to their nation and their emperor. Their mission in Shanghai was to eliminate all resistance to the Japanese incursion.

One of the key Chinese citizen resistance groups was the Ching Woo Martial Arts Association. This group of patriotic Chinese martial artists had long opposed the Heavenly Dragon Society.

Fung Ging Yiu, who cared nothing for his country, but only for his wealth and power in Shanghai, believed that Shanghai's future belonged to Japan (the most powerful nation in Asia at the time). Therefore, he was more than happy to supply the Japanese with anything they needed for their operations: money, weapons, connections, anything they needed.

Hui Mun Keung, as Fung Ging Yiu's right-hand man, had no choice but to go along with it. But Hui's conscience ate away at him. After his experiences in Beijing (including three years in prison), Hui had vowed to never put patriotism ahead of his own interests again, but ultimately, he was a man of conscience. He could not simply stand by and allow the Japanese to murder his countrymen.

Hence, when Hui Mun Keung discovered that Fung Ging Yiu was planning on delivering guns and ammunition to the Heavenly Dragon Society to use against the Ching Woo Martial Arts School, Hui arranged for his contact (his friend Chan Hon Lam) in the French Concession Police Department to confiscate the weapons first.

That should have been the end of it, and Hui would have been able to get away with it without his boss or the Japanese being any wiser. Unfortunately, the well-intentioned Chan Hon Lam decided to inform the Ching Woo Martial Arts School's leaders about the Heavenly Dragon Society's plot against them, and helped them to set up a counterstrike. In the ensuing melee, Hui's role in the confiscation of the weapons was inadvertently revealed. That made Hui into a traitor in Fung Ging Yiu's eyes, and marked Hui for death.

Hey, Ken -- Thanks a lot for that excellent explanation! I'm curious. What did you think of Parts II and III?
    They were decent. If you watch THE BUND II and THE BUND III without comparing them to the original, they're fine. Next the original series, however, they pale by comparison.

THE BUND II got off to a strong start, but sort of flagged as the series progressed. THE BUND III wasn't a bad series, but it felt like it was "BUND" in name only.

I wholeheartedly agree that Part III is "BUND" in name only. Why does Ding Lik have such a minor role? He's like a totally different person in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    They were decent. If you watch THE BUND II and THE BUND III without comparing them to the original, they're fine. Next the original series, however, they pale by comparison.

THE BUND II got off to a strong start, but sort of flagged as the series progressed. THE BUND III wasn't a bad series, but it felt like it was "BUND" in name only.

I wholeheartedly agree that Part III is "BUND" in name only. Why does Ding Lik have such a minor role? He's like a totally different person in this series.
    The difference in Ding Lik's personality is actually the best thing about THE BUND III. It shows how much Ah Lik has grown since Part 1. At least fifteen, perhaps twenty years have passed since the time of the first BUND (which causes all kinds of historical accuracy problems, but that's a whole other subject), and Ding Lik in THE BUND III is a mature man who has learned from his successes and failures over the years. He's much more easygoing and mellow in THE BUND III, and seems to place greater importance upon his friends, his employees, and his city than on himself. In short, Ding Lik has become a leader.

But yes, to call this series THE BUND (III) almost seems like a misnomer because the story really wasn't about Ding Lik as much as it was about Gei Sin Yung. Gei Sin Yung was an interesting and likable character in his own right, but compared to Hui Mun Keung or the younger Ding Lik, he seemed lacking.

The original BUND was about Hui Mun Keung, with Ding Lik playing a major supporting role. THE BUND II was entirely about Ding Lik. THE BUND III was about Gei Sin Yung with Ding Lik in a supporting role (much lesser than the one that he had in the first BUND).