Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Way of Life in the Wuxia World vs. Modern Life

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Isn't real life made up of hypocrisy, powerplay and ruthlessness anyway? Greed, ambition and just plain evil are qualities that are out their in our society, but just less concentrated, but we have to face them anyway!

- Friends can betray you for promotions/girls/jealousy
    - People can hate you for no apparent reason or of some unknown factor, and can make your life miserable (classmate/supervisor)
    - People can be nice to you in the beginning, but backstab you when you are not looking (some of my class mates do that)

I don't think that it would be that much difference of a wuxia life versus the life that we have to face today, except that the worse case scenario in the wuxia life may be losing your head.

But I do know some people who want to have the love-life of wuxia characters!!!
    In real life we also have lot of problems, just different problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Long hours; no showers
    I wonder how wuxia people feel without taking shower for months and no shampoo. I can't live without shower/bath for 2 days. Even once a day is still not good enough. I need shower twice a day, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I wonder how wuxia people feel without taking shower for months and no shampoo. I can't live without shower/bath for 2 days. Even once a day is still not good enough. I need shower twice a day, every day.
    Wow, you shower twice a day?! I only shower twice a day when I sweat like a waterfall -->working out or it is very humid/hot weather.
    Sim neej aws...

I shower a lot too. Hard for me to have energy to go to the gym in the mornings without showering, and then have to shower afterwards. Usually shower again at night if I'm going out or something.

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Wow, you shower twice a day?! I only shower twice a day when I sweat like a waterfall -->working out or it is very humid/hot weather.
    I will on the hottest summer days here in Kalifornia, but with our ongoing drought, they need to be short.

I will on the hottest summer days here in Kalifornia, but with our ongoing drought, they need to be short.
    It's like the opposite here in the northeast. Getting out of your warm blanket and not having a nice hot shower is torture.

Forget about snowing on Christmas, it's been snowing on Halloween and Thanksgiving

Why would you want to have short shower if there is drought? If there is drought, the temperature is high and humid, then by logic you would want a long shower to make you feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Why would you want to have short shower if there is drought? If there is drought, the temperature is high and humid, then by logic you would want a long shower to make you feel comfortable.
    Because if there is a drought you need to conserve water.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    It's like the opposite here in the northeast. Getting out of your warm blanket and not having a nice hot shower is torture.

Forget about snowing on Christmas, it's been snowing on Halloween and Thanksgiving
    Tell me about it. Snow came early in the Midwest. Around your area, did you guys get hit bad too?
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Tell me about it. Snow came early in the Midwest. Around your area, did you guys get hit bad too?
    Nah, not yet. Just small inconvenient ones for now. Last two years have been absolutely brutal though. Just when the snow would melt a bit we'd get another huge storm.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post

We've got to build some aqueducts from the northeast out to Kalifornia.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachblossom View Post
    In spite of that, can we can see some things about the way of life in the Wuxia world as better than the modern way of life?
    The wuxia world is portrayed as being quite egalitarian at times. By working/training hard, you can often advance in the world; by hard work, dedication, and cooperation you can do great things. In the wulin, although social background is very important, I would contend that it is actually often much less of a barrier than in the modern/real world. Despite all the references to ancestors and social station, beggars, bandits, generals, and famous scholar/officials freely associate in the wulin, and often seem to judge each other more on each others personal merits than on wealth or social station.

The activity of karma is also more strongly apparent, doing good deeds is typically rewarded, evil-doers are eventually punished.

Also, I would agree somewhat with the discussion on spirituality. The modern world is an assault to the senses with information and flashing lights and so forth. It is much, much harder to have quiet time to just sit and think. How can you be spiritual if you don't even have a moment when you're not looking at a glowing screen, or being tethered to the cellphone.

He can be quite vulgar as a comedian, but Louis CK has some biting stand-up comedy on the invasion of technology into our lives inhibiting our ability to think quietly and learn empathy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbYScltf1c (interview on Conan, swears are bleeped out)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUNA2nutbk (longer, audio only, with swears)

Although it's a comedy, I've thought that Kung Fu hustle was a good example of what it would be really like if the Wuxia world and the Real world were fused. Partly it would be like that is because elements of Wuxia fiction would just be silly out of their natural context.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamoRemebered View Post
    Although it's a comedy, I've thought that Kung Fu hustle was a good example of what it would be really like if the Wuxia world and the Real world were fused. Partly it would be like that is because elements of Wuxia fiction would just be silly out of their natural context.
    For wuxia to work in the real world, the laws of physics themselves would need to change.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    But I do know some people who want to have the love-life of wuxia characters!!!
    If you are the protagonist, then life is great. There are many many beauties going after you .
    If you are not the protagonist, tough luck to you. Prepare to be alone for the rest of your life

For wuxia to work in the real world, the laws of physics themselves would need to change.
    It would be great. Imagine if you can jump 10 meters high, walk on water, survive from falling off a cliff, everyone is beautiful, hardly any ugly, all sickness/injure/diseases is curable with your elite kungfu, etc.