Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Duan Yu & Sisters

You ppl support incest, right ?
    Let's face it: no matter who Duan Yu chooses, she will be his half-sister.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

???

Are we debating in the hypothetical world where Duan Yu IS Duan Zheng Chun's son? Or are we debating actually happened in the story??
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Originally posted by PJ
    Let's face it: no matter who Duan Yu chooses, she will be his half-sister.
    half sister ? i thought duan yu was not duan cheng cun's son. so they are not blood-related.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Yeah... they are not half sisters.

More like Cuz no?
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    ???

Are we debating in the hypothetical world where Duan Yu IS Duan Zheng Chun's son? Or are we debating actually happened in the story??

I don't know what happened here. I remembered that towards the end of the novel, we knew that Duan Yu and his sisters are not related by blood at all.

My question was; will he go ahead and marry all or just marry WYY?
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

OK I thought it was as clear as crystal but perhaps not many were with me so....

When Duan Yu knew that Mu Wan Qing and Zhong Ling were his half-sisters, he tried his best to kill any romantic feelings towards them. If he still had feelings for them then as you ppl are suggesting, it would be INCEST, get it ?

After that he met Wang Yu Yen blah blah blah. What's wrong with him falling in love with such a beautiful woman ? Any guy would.

By the end of the novel, he knew that Mu Wan Qing and Zhong Ling (and Wang Yu Yen too) were not his half-sisters; they weren't blood-related. However it was a SECRET, that related to his own origin, his parents cheating on each other, and their tragic deaths, also his real father... He could only tell that to his uncle. Nobody else was supposed to know that, because the whole imperial Duan family would lose face. How could he marry Mu Wan Qing and Zhong Ling ? It was technically not incest, but everybody would think that it was, because none of them knew the truth, and they should not know.

-> THINK <-
    • Discussion: the confusion of one person multiplied by the number present.
    • Discussion Forum: the place where everybody posts, nobody reads and everybody disagrees later on.

Oh yeah, I goofed.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

OK hypothetical question:

If everybody thought WYY was DuanYu's sister, would he not marry her for the sake of his family reputation? Or being the love-sick boy would he abandon the throne and run away with her? If he does would WYY stay with this now have-nothing guy?
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Hmmm....now I don't know how to answer this, lol. If everyone had objected to Duan Yu marrying WYY then I think that he would still want to marry her and all, but then he might not want to leave the thrown since his parents basically died to let him have the thrown. Well his mom and his sorta dad and all. Hmmmm...but if he did run away, I think that WYY would still stay with him because she doesn't seem to be the type of girl who was going to spend her life with him just for the money and all.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

From my understanding reading the book, Duan Yu's father and all his "half" sisters are cousin. Correct me if I'm wrong

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Duan Zhengchun and Duan Yanqing both belonged to the Duan family. However they were both on the different branches of the family tree, really the outer branches. Because the mainstream imperial family (the father and other brothers of Duan Yanqing were killed by the usurper Yang Shuzhen). So the loyal ministers had no choice but to find the outer families of the Duan family to retake the trone.
    In fact, technically they can be considered to be family and have the same family name. And they have the same ancestor, but after generations of seperation they can hardly be considered to be close family anymore.
    In name they are cousins, but........
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Originally posted by expression
    OK hypothetical question:

If everybody thought WYY was DuanYu's sister, would he not marry her for the sake of his family reputation? Or being the love-sick boy would he abandon the throne and run away with her? If he does would WYY stay with this now have-nothing guy?
    Well, to answer that hypothetical question. I'll tell you this.

If Duan Yu was, hypothetically, a guy who cares more about his family reputation, he would not marry her.

However, if Duan Yu was, hypothetically, a guy who doesn't care about anything else but being with the one he loved, then he would run away with her.

And if he does so, hypothetically, then if WYY was hypothetically a person who cares about him for him, then she would stay with him. However, if she was hypothetically a person who don't want to be with just some guy, then she would leave him.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Ah Yeah Moinllieon Note to self, don't ask Moinllieon any hypothetical questions
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

I just think hypothetical questions are meaningless because the questionaire is creating situations that are not real purely for the sake of making the question difficult.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

*Nods seriously* That is so wise, Moinllieon! And I hypothesize that only a very wise person can make that comment!
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Originally posted by Moinllieon

I just think hypothetical questions are meaningless because the questionaire is creating situations that are not real purely for the sake of making the question difficult.
    Surely you don't feel this way about about *all* hypothetical questions. Or did you manage to work your way through grade school without doing any of the hypothetical word problems like "If Bobby had an apple, and got two more apples, how many would he have now?"

Originally posted by Meh
    Surely you don't feel this way about about *all* hypothetical questions. Or did you manage to work your way through grade school without doing any of the hypothetical word problems like "If Bobby had an apple, and got two more apples, how many would he have now?"
    Well, that's not hypothetical, in that there could very well be a Bobby out there that had an apple and got 2 more.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Well I am 99% confident that there's no real DuanYu and WYY out there cause it will take very low-taste parents to name their kids that...

I like the name Duan Yu!!!!!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

And you never know cause some people could be a little wacky and decide to name their kids after these characters and all.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.