Thread: Down with Love ft. Ella Chen and Jerry Yan

Default Down with Love ft. Ella Chen and Jerry Yan

The first two episodes of Down with Love has very low ratings and frankly, I agree with them. <-- This is not an issue anymore, let's not comment on this anymore ok.

The storyplot is predictable and cliche. The characters are boring and somewhat 2 dimensional.

click to show/hide spoilers
    There's absolutely no chemistry between Jerry Yan and his GF, Ding Hui Fan. She catches him in bed with Ella because his niece and nephew knocked them both out with medicine. Well, Jerry was already knocked out because of gastric medicine, then Ella got knocked out with cold medicine by the kids. But anyway, Hui Fan gets jealous and leaves. Then after the truth is out, he proposes to her with a diamond ring and gets rejected. Why? She claims his love is smothering her. WTH? Then she regrets it because she didn't know how to react to the proposal. Come on, if they've been dating since college years, wouldn't this couple be more mature? But instead, Miss celebrity Ding Hui Fan acts like a total ditzy idiot. Her press conference with the media consists of her going on stage and waiting out for 2 minutes before her agent rushes her out to the van to avoid the media. And Ding Hui Fan is so stupid and disrespectful, she think she owns the scene and can tell anyone to shut up. I don't understand how any GUY would even want her besides her looks.

Ella is once again in this awkward role where she acts purposely silly and goofy. And to me it seems really exaggerating. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ella. It's just come on, her goofyness is considered cute?

Jerry Yan, ah, his voice is so blah...even when he yells, it doesn't even make me turn and look to see what's going on. Its just bland. He looks no different from one of his first roles in Meteor Garden. I'm still not impressed by his "acting". I thought after a few years his acting would improve with experience, but I doubt it now. He's suppose to be "a coldblooded, ruthless lawyer" but he has his nice sides that tells us he's not.

Michael Zhang -- I swear this actor looks different in every role I've seen him in. With the hair and the glasses in here as Ke Zhong, I couldn't even recognize him. His character's motives still need additional observation to understand.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 02-12-10 at 03:01 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

^^
    Actually in today's ratings. They are consider high. Since most dramas have the average of 1 point ratings. Autumn concerto shocked people that it achieved up to 7.

So for DWL to have 3.37 in ratings. That's pretty good. But it's due to the fact that GTV put alot of promotions into this series. Plus Elle and Jerry have a large fanbase in TW.

But i have to agree that the storyline is pretty cliche. But if you are looking for a lighthearted drama. Tawainese drama is known for that. This drama is not out of the norm.

As far as acting wise. I felt that Ella character is kinda same as in Hana Kimi. Some scenes she's too awkward. It makes the viewers cringe just seeing her like that. I see why the director picked her to play this type of role. She's sort of tomboyish. But it feels repetitive that they always given this type to Ella.

Jerry,... never been a fan of him. Out of the f4, i feel that Vic Zhou is the only good actor. Jerry, his acting is the same as his "meteor garden" days.

PUtting aside the flaws. I will try to enjoy this drama for what it is. At first i thought the pairing is weird but i'm beginning to like them. Though it's hard for me to see the romance between them.Taiwanese dramas these days really disappoints me. Case being "hi my sweetheart". But atleast in that drama, it was somewhat save good performances of the leads.
    So dont have too much expectations guys.

So is this only 11 episodes? Rather short...lolz

I actually watched almost all of Ella's tv series except her very first series. I liked Ella and Joe Cheng together in the Rose (though too bad they're half-sibs). Ella has her charming sides, but I do find myself cringing at some scenes.

You know...Jerry Yan, some girls find him handsome, but I don't find him mildly attractive at all. My favorite actors win me over first with their acting and then their looks, but Jerry? He's not ugly, but there's something about his face that's just not likeable and his less than mediocre acting doesn't make up for anything worth mentioning. I think he dresses the same and has the same hair as his Meteor Garden days.

So do not see Ella and Jerry together...chemistry -10.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default Finding some redeeming parts of the series.

Was anyone surprised by Ella's character's name? Yang Guo? I had to look up name and make sure it wasn't the same Guo as the infamous Yang Guo.

Quotes I like from the series so far:

"Whether an item has worth is determined by if the owner knows how to cherish it and care for it. I believe one day, I will find someone who cherishes me and cares for me, who doesn't care if I have money or not...who doesn't care if I'm not beautiful. He will love me forever. " - Yang Guo "You'll meet him" - Ke Zhong (ep 1)

"Everyone has a special quality about them that is hard to be ignored" - Ke Zhong to Ella. ( I forgot which episode or part when this was said).

Ella looks cute in the hairstyle she has...although it sorta reminds me of Show Luo's Lin Da Lung.

Actually the ratings for the first 2 episodes are considered pretty good; the rating for the 2nd episode is actually higher than Autumn Concerto's 2nd episode. But then again, a single episode of DWL is aired for 2 hrs while an episode of AC is 1.5hrs.

On a side note, the entire series plus special episode was leaked onto some mainland sites this week. However, the leaked episodes were quickly deleted by the site admins within a day and CTV/GTV have expressed outrage at the leaked episodes which apparently comes from a pirated source. It remains to be seen whether the leak will dampen the ratings for the subsequent episodes.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

^^^
    I feel bad but i look for the videos on youtube and i found them. I watched up to ep 5 now. It's ok.
    Last edited by tuoimongmo2007; 02-18-10 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I actually watched almost all of Ella's tv series except her very first series. I liked Ella and Joe Cheng together in the Rose (though too bad they're half-sibs). Ella has her charming sides, but I do find myself cringing at some scenes.

You know...Jerry Yan, some girls find him handsome, but I don't find him mildly attractive at all. My favorite actors win me over first with their acting and then their looks, but Jerry? He's not ugly, but there's something about his face that's just not likeable and his less than mediocre acting doesn't make up for anything worth mentioning. I think he dresses the same and has the same hair as his Meteor Garden days.

I first noticed Joe in that series. His character was rather whack so i wasn't that into him then. Though i noticed that his acting is rather good for a newbie and he's hot. But look kind of feminine. Then i saw him "ISWAK"..I was like ..."he's so hot".

I watched his series again. I kinda wished he pair up with Ella that time.

I did watch most of her series. Idol series,,hahha you can't really expect too much. I dont know, "reaching for the stars" was the worst for me. But it was enjoyable at times.

Quote Originally Posted by tuoimongmo2007 View Post
    ^^^
    I feel bad but i look for the videos on youtube and i found them. I watched up to ep 5 now. It's ok.

errr how did you manage to watch up to ep5 when ep3 just aired in taiwan?

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post
    errr how did you manage to watch up to ep5 when ep3 just aired in taiwan?
    Due to the leakage of Down With Love episodes in China. It was leaked into the internet. Also they they were selling the pirated DVD to people with the complete series episodes. Some people uploaded it on the internet.

Honestly i feel kind of bad but i hate waiting every week for it. So i watch it anyways. I"m up to ep 8 now. 3 more to do. It's an ok series. I'm beginning to like Jerry more as the series goes on. He's so skinny though. lolz

wow can u post the link to the videos? i want to watch Ep4 onwards hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post
    wow can u post the link to the videos? i want to watch Ep4 onwards hehehe
    I already sent a link to your inbox. So i orginally thought that this series is around 13. All the conflicts kinda resolve around episode 11. But i'm loving the cute scenes of them together. Not bad.
    Last edited by tuoimongmo2007; 03-28-10 at 01:21 AM.

Wow. you were right. it really starts to get draggy once the triangle relationship part kicks in.

This one was lame and predictable from the beginning. Definitely one to miss.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post

Jerry is such a blockhead in his acting. His acting is so stiff that his reaction and facial expression turns out funny in an awkward manner, which becomes interesting to watch him.

OT: I was looking for the longwinded Taiwan drama, Taiwan Tornado, but couldn't find it. I supposed it is quite a blast in Taiwan. Anyone discussing that series?
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 06-02-10 at 04:14 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Yeah. Jerry's acting seems forced and so it turns out funny awkward to watch him.

The ending of this series is blah, I expected to see Ella in a wedding dress but instead they just made her pregnant with Jerry's 2nd child after being married for 6 years.

Michael Zhang's character turns out to be such a douche bag. I don't know this series wasn't so great. It had some cute moments, but nothing that really lasts good. It was okay if you have time to kill.

Another Taiwanese drama I'd recommend to watch is Happy & Love Forever with Ming Dao and Annie Chen. Ming Dao delivers and the supporting actor is also likeable not like Michael Zhang. I think I like most of the main and supporting cast in this series more.

I am new here! So, hi there ya all!!
    I find your comments interesting...because in another site..everyone is practically goo-goo-gaga about Ella and Jerry, and here's a site and thread...that has the opposite reaction!?! Where have you guys been? I'm soo happy that finally...I wasen't the only one who thought that the drama was lame..and jerry and ella suck big time!! I am sick and tired of most jerella fans trying to talk about them, and not about the series!! Which I'm sooo sick of it!! Jerry's acting isn't spectacular..goodness, he was so much better in the drama, Starlit and The Hospital..because he had great co-actors to work with...but here, flat! Ella, I love her in the drama, The Rose, but here, she wasen't just trying too hard to be funny...she was dumb and corny to a point that I felt sick seeing her character, Yang Guo in such a mess.
    Yeah, since it was produced by GTV, the media hype on Ella and Jerry was the focal point of the drama. This was based on the popularity aspect of the 2, Idol Stars...even the ending..it could have been so much better.
    I don't know what's the hype having these 2 together and making such a big fuss, that somehow they "might" end up being a couple in real life???? Wake up people!